Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Revolution?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Johro wrote: »
    The US and Europe need to get behind the democratisation of the middle east, and start walking the walk. They'll get a lot more respect from the Arab world if they do.

Ah, so it's ok for them to do the World Police bit now but people had a problem when they tried the exact same thing in Iraq and Afghanistan and when it was looking like they might head for Iran?

I love how people run to the US to sort out stuff militarily around the globe and then turn on them when the job turns out to be difficult and costly in human terms.

They really should just tell everyone to **** off and fix **** themselves from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    POWER TO THE PEOPLE!! :D

as I sit watching sky news joyfully soaking up the atmosphere in Tahrir Sq with the hair standing on the back of my neck I can't help but feel ashamed at the lack of a real protest against the lies and corruption we put up with here!

fair played to the Egyptians :)
    Been watching the whole thing unfold on Al Jazeera for the past two weeks, it's an amazing triumph, and i feel exactly the same way.
    People say 'but we didn't have it nearly as bad as the Egyptians', and of course that's true, but that doesn't mean we don't have legitimate reasons to be angry as f#ck. Job losses, repossessions, wage cuts, loss of services, corruption, cronyism etc.
    People round here seem to have given up, there's an air of hopelessness and apathy, the roadsides are covered with rubbish and the roads themselves littered with potholes, it looks like a third world country.
    People are trying to keep community projects going where funding has been pulled and in the country there is at least a sense of 'we're all in the same boat, let's make the best of it', but it's hard to get motivated for anything these days. On top of all that fuel prices are up again and every time I shop I seem to be paying more for the same things.
    I mean, let's face it, big business f#cked up, banks f#cked up, government f#cked up, and guess who's gotta pay for it? and for years to come?
    In your thread asking if people were angry enough to take to the streets some of them were saying 'ah but the election'.
    Like when Fine Gael or Labour run the country we won't have any more cuts and things will change, we'll have a proper health service and new schools and jobs for all and an end to corruption.
    Not without a total political overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Ah, so it's ok for them to do the World Police bit now but people had a problem when they tried the exact same thing in Iraq and Afghanistan and when it was looking like they might head for Iran?

I love how people run to the US to sort out stuff militarily around the globe and then turn on them when the job turns out to be difficult and costly in human terms.

They really should just tell everyone to **** off and fix **** themselves from now on.
    :confused: No. It was never okay for them to do the 'world police thing'. I'm talking about supporting the people of Egypt in seeking a proper democracy, or any people of any nation wanting to do the same.
    The US has a history of 'sorting out stuff militarily' around the globe when it suits them, and to their own ends.
    What I said is that they need to stop being hypocrites and espousing democracy while supporting such corrupt regimes as the one that just fell in Egypt. Hence 'walk the walk'.
    Supporting people in their struggle to bring about democracy is different from moving your troops in and establishing a so-called democratic state by force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Johro wrote: »
    Been watching the whole thing unfold on Al Jazeera for the past two weeks, it's an amazing triumph, and i feel exactly the same way.
    People say 'but we didn't have it nearly as bad as the Egyptians', and of course that's true, but that doesn't mean we don't have legitimate reasons to be angry as f#ck. Job losses, repossessions, wage cuts, loss of services, corruption, cronyism etc.
    People round here seem to have given up, there's an air of hopelessness and apathy, the roadsides are covered with rubbish and the roads themselves littered with potholes, it looks like a third world country.*
    People are trying to keep community projects going where funding has been pulled and in the country there is at least a sense of 'we're all in the same boat, let's make the best of it', but it's hard to get motivated for anything these days. On top of all that fuel prices are up again and every time I shop I seem to be paying more for the same things.*
    I mean, let's face it, big business f#cked up, banks f#cked up, government f#cked up, and guess who's gotta pay for it? and for years to come?*
    In your thread asking if people were angry enough to take to the streets some of them were saying 'ah but the election'.*
    Like when Fine Gael or Labour run the country we won't have any more cuts and things will change, we'll have a proper health service and new schools and jobs for all and an end to corruption.*
    Not without a total political overhaul.

well put Johro

as far as i'm concerned this "democratic" election most are using as an excuse for their apathy better bring about some real change or there will be uproar from those who really care!

chin up for the minute i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

• Advertisement

Algeria next?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12438015
    Algeria police deployed ahead of banned democracy rally
    Demonstrations are banned in Algeria because of a state of emergency in place since 1992
    Riot police have been deployed in the centre of the Algerian capital, Algiers, ahead of a planned anti-government rally.

The government has banned the protest, but opposition and rights groups say they intend to go ahead with the march.

Algeria - like other countries in the region - has recently witnessed demonstrations for greater freedoms.

Advertisement