Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,066 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I kind of suspected that the sofa may also be a sofa bed.

But that begs the question - WTF is going on up on top of the wardrobe???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

With the "bed" aside (that's just ridiculous) 650 for that space is not that unreasonable, in Rathmines too.

Get a fold down bed/couch and you're all set.

It's quite an 'ok' looking room. That big Georgian window would be nice with some decent blinds, or no blinds at all on it, lots of natural light. I could think of worse places to rent for 650 a month. Personally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

But what's up with the other wardrobe balanced on pieces of wood?

I would just strip all the crazy out of that room and start from scratch. Whoever lived there before was maybe a little disturbed :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

xzanti wrote: »
    I would just strip all the crazy out of that room and start from scratch. Whoever lived there before was maybe a little disturbed :o

You take from this that the previous tenant is disturbed?

If the landlord/agent didn't clean/fix the wardrobe what else didn't they clean for the new tenants.

• Advertisement

gizmo81 wrote: »
    You take from this that the previous tenant is disturbed?

If the landlord/agent didn't clean/fix the wardrobe what else didn't they clean for the new tenants.

Do you think the estate agent went and made a bed on top of a wardrobe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

With the "bed" aside (that's just ridiculous) 650 for that space is not that unreasonable, in Rathmines too.

Get a fold down bed/couch and you're all set.

It's quite an 'ok' looking room. That big Georgian window would be nice with some decent blinds, or no blinds at all on it, lots of natural light. I could think of worse places to rent for 650 a month. Personally speaking.

Yeah, that's actually a decent price and it's a nice looking room, that huge window would play a pretty crucial role in keeping your sanity living in a small studio.

Would love to know what's going on with the wardrobe though, totally bizarre and should be in the 'unsolved mysteries' thread.

Sacrificial alter maybe....though I suppose with such a large shelf it would be very handy to store a lot of your stuff either if you weren't into that.

Do you think the estate agent went and made a bed on top of a wardrobe?

No I don't but landlords agents are supposed to make sure a property is fit before they let it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

So....Did anyone go to the viewing?

No I don't but landlords agents are supposed to make sure a property is fit before they let it.

Not these days. Having been on the lookout for a property recently myself, I can tell you that they are being viewed in all sorts of conditions.

They know people are desperate.

I'd ponder if the estate agent even noticed the 'bed' before uploading the pics.

I'm guessing it's on his/her radar now though :D

• Advertisement

It's purely aesthetic in fairness - looks weird but it's not 'dirty' or impacting on functionality in any sense.

Now that it's been established that there's a sofa bed and the weird wardrobe shelf is not a sleeping death-trap, the place isn't really that bad of an offering.

To me it looks like a decent storage shelf.

Not these days. Having been on the lookout for a property recently myself, I can tell you that they are being viewed in all sorts of conditions.

They know people are desperate.

I'd ponder if the estate agent even noticed the 'bed' before uploading the pics.

I'm guessing it's on his/her radar now though :D

Well luckily there are people like myself who report these to the PSRA, just because there is a crisis doesn't mean standards go out the window.

“(2) For the purposes of sub-article (1) ‘a proper state of structural repair’ means sound, internally and externally, with roof, roofing tiles and slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards, fascia, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings, furnishings, gardens and common areas maintained in good condition and repair and not defective due to dampness or otherwise.”,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/462/made/en/print

Well luckily there are people like myself who report these to the PSRA, just because there is a crisis doesn't mean standards go out the window.

“(2) For the purposes of sub-article (1) ‘a proper state of structural repair’ means sound, internally and externally, with roof, roofing tiles and slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards, fascia, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings, furnishings, gardens and common areas maintained in good condition and repair and not defective due to dampness or otherwise.”,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/462/made/en/print

For all the understandable objections to it, not sure there is anything structurally wrong with it from the photos. No obvious defects or dampness. I'd wonder about the kitchen and building regs maybe...

Have you slept on that IKEA sofa bed? I have, it's not a bed you could sleep on as it has a hard wooden part as part of the mattress.

The mattress part is only 2/3's of a normal mattress length the other 1/3 is hard.

For all the understandable objections to it, not sure there is anything structurally wrong with it from the photos. No obvious defects or dampness. I'd wonder about the kitchen and building regs maybe...

As outlined in S.I. No. 462/2009 - Housing (Standards For Rented Houses)(Amendment) Regulations 2009 (S.I. No. 534 of 2008)

Furnishings must be maintained in good condition and repair and not defective due to dampness or otherwise.

As outlined in S.I. No. 462/2009 - Housing (Standards For Rented Houses)(Amendment) Regulations 2009 (S.I. No. 534 of 2008)

Furnishings must be maintained in good condition and repair and not defective due to dampness or otherwise.

What do you see that's defective or in obvious poor condition?

It being a bizarre, ugly eye-sore doesn't really qualify.

Same with the bed. The fact that it's uncomfortable doesn't make it 'not' a bed....

There really is nothing wrong with that place now that it's been established that the weird shelf is just that, a shelf and not a bed.

If you want to defend this type of property fine.

I don't.

If you want to defend this type of property fine.

I don't.

Those old structures are built to last. I lived in one for a few years not far from that one (Harold's Cross). Never had problems with damp or draft etc.

Actually a really beautiful place to live. If I was single and childless I'd seriously consider taking that flat and making it my own. Lots of potential there.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Meet the people, who might be haunting you, should you choose to purchase this house...
    :eek:

:D

http://www.daft.ie/westmeath/houses-for-sale/athlone/st-patricks-cartrontroy-athlone-westmeath-1297180/#img=1

That's actually a beautiful house though. Just the advertising method a bit questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/rathmines/4-grove-park-rathmines-dublin-1767456#img=4

Check out the cupboard opposite the 'shelf', it's balancing on a length of wood.

• Advertisement

https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/rathmines/4-grove-park-rathmines-dublin-1767456#img=4

Check out the cupboard opposite the 'shelf', it's balancing on a length of wood.
    Optical illusion, the shelf is wall mounted as can be seen in one of the other pictures, but the light fitting is broken.
    Edit: looking at the wrong picture, looks like a wardrobe designed for floor mounting that's been stuck to the wall, but they found that it needed propping up!

Advert removed

Found the pics on lovin Dublin

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/pics-this-rathmines-studio-flat-has-got-to-be-a-f-cking-joke

Am perplexed to what the cupboard on a plank of wood could be.

Advert removed

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/pics-this-rathmines-studio-flat-has-got-to-be-a-f-cking-joke

I must have a cached copy as I can still see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Advert removed

Looks to me like a wardrobe wallmounted above a storage heater. They couldn't really put it in front of it, but had to make the most of the available space.

Looks to me like a wardrobe wallmounted above a storage heater. They couldn't really put it in front of it, but had to make the most of the available space.

Jaysus that can't be good, can it?

Also the oven underneath the sink is bad.

What do you see that's defective or in obvious poor condition?

It being a bizarre, ugly eye-sore doesn't really qualify.

Same with the bed. The fact that it's uncomfortable doesn't make it 'not' a bed....

There really is nothing wrong with that place now that it's been established that the weird shelf is just that, a shelf and not a bed.

Im still on the fence, as to whether or not , that is a bed up there. :confused:
    They do have an alarm clock up there , on that roundy thing on the wall.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Im still on the fence, as to whether or not , that is a bed up there. :confused:
    They do have an alarm clock up there , on that roundy thing on the wall.

There might have been a few people living there that decided to get creative with the sleeping arrangements, possibly? :)

The letting agent is quoted in the papers this morning, saying that the shelf/bed was created by the previous tenant and has been removed....:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This thread is so depressing really.:(

Basically DAFT adverts of Dublin flats that are tiny and basic and have the cheapest furnishings and fittings the landlord can get away with....all available at the maximum extortionate rent the market will bear.

And those are the better places. Then there are the sh*tboxes that you wouldn't put your dog in, let all be a human.

Perfect illustration that the housing crisis is going from bad to worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The letting agent is quoted in the papers this morning, saying that the shelf/bed was created by the previous tenant and has been removed....:D

They probably should have done that before advertising the room :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement