Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What planet are this jury on-killing of Robbie McCallion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I'd get banned if I posted my thoughts about this, disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

This is a county where sinn fein topped the poll of a recent by-election. Are you really surprised.

Time to dig that trench outside sligo I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

There is a thread on After Hours in which the point has been made that McGrenaghan pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing the death of Garda McCallion.

This trial was about whether or not he intentionally hit Garda McCallion.

The Jury believed that it was not McGrenaghan's intention to do so.

(link added)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

It's worth reflecting on the fact that there have been many instances of those convicted of manslaughter receiving very short or indeed non-custodial sentences whereas those convicted of causing Death by Dangerous Driving have been jailed for several years.
    In this context perhaps the charge this gurrier was convicted of is not as important as the sentence he will get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

This is a county where sinn fein topped the poll of a recent by-election. Are you really surprised.

Surprised is probably not a good description, sick to my stomach is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Another prime example of why trial by jury is no longer fit for purpose; people are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

He pleaded guilty to Death (of a Garda) by dangerous driving. Let's hope he gets a good few years for that (what's the maximum, anyone?).

Open to correction but I think the maximum sentence is 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Profiler wrote: »
    There is a thread on After Hours in which the point has been made that McGrenaghan pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing the death of Garda McCallion.

(link added)
    Is Intention a piont of proof in Manslaughter I would have thought that if the consequences of the action were forseeable would be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

An absolute disgrace. If you heard of it happen in Cairo you'd be shocked. Why can't the judge dismiss the jury on account of insanity and impose a sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

(link added)

No, thats not what the case about at all.

Manslaughter is the non intended killing of a person. If there was intent then it would be murder.

A person died by his direct actions but he did not intend to kill, its the very definition of manslaughter. Just Look at the Lilis case (http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/lillis-convicted-of-manslaughter-444109.html) for an idea of how it usually works.

The only logical way to find someone innocent of manslaughter is if A, They weren't acting like a complete moron or B, they didn't cause the persons death in the first place. Does either fit this picture?

So to the jury I say, you have made the world a better place today by siding with the scum over a Garda who gave his life protecting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'm ****ing fuming at this decision. I can only imagine what a blow this is to morale in AGS at the moment...

****ing disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Delancey wrote: »
    Open to correction but I think the maximum sentence is 10 years.

No set limit on Manslaughter, You can get Life or suspended and anything in between, But this guy will get a hefty sentence..

Zambia wrote: »
    Is Intention a piont of proof in Manslaughter I would have thought that if the consequences of the action were forseeable would be enough.

Why then is every case involving death by dangerous driving not charged as manslaughter if intention is not relevant?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This is stunning, in a bad way. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MissEmcee

charlemont wrote: »
    No set limit on Manslaughter, You can get Life or suspended and anything in between, But this guy will get a hefty sentence..

Correct as conviction for dangerous driving causing death are the same as penalties for manslaughter.

Regarding the sentence - based on todays events nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Disgraceful result !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Why then is every case involving death by dangerous driving not charged as manslaughter if intention is not relevant?

The difference in this case would be that he knew there were gardai there but continued driving dangerously despite this.

This verdict sickens me. I wouldn't be surprised if he's walkin out of prison in four years or less.

The offence of Death by Dangerous Driving is a relatively recent creation , in the past charges of Manslaughter in Road Traffic cases were notoriously hard to prove ( perhaps the example of the unfortunate Garda McCallion is a case in point ) and there were a number of outrageous instances of people receiving mickey mouse punishment after being acquitted of Manslaughter and being convicted instead of stuff like Careless Driving.

While the verdict today seems shocking it may not really matter all that much when it comes to sentencing which I await with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

The justice system in this country is a joke. And surely there should be another crime of injuring/killing a garda, separate from regular manslaughter/murder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Hopefully prison justice will catch up with him. Karma can be a right bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

The justice system in this country is a joke. And surely there should be another crime of injuring/killing a garda, separate from regular manslaughter/murder.

THere is for es staff and murdering a Garda is a capital offence but if a jury is going to find him not guilty of manslaughter what chance would anything like that have?

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on that other crazy Jury verdict today - the pre-meditated murder of an inmate in Mountjoy by another inmate.
    While I can understand the initial reaction of many on this forum would be to write it off as a case of ' a piece of sh1t taking out a piece of shyte ' , I personally find it troubling that a jury could fail to convict of even Manslaughter much less Murder.
    In the (unlikely) event of any bankers or developers facing criminal charges arising from the collapse of our banking system can anyone have any confidence in our wonderful jury system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Disgraceful decision,the jury should be ashamed of themselves.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Because every case involving death by dangerous driving doesn't usually see the offender driving straight at the person that has been killed. It usually entails someone driving like an idiot and getting into an accident with another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

I always heard it said a Donegal Jury would never find a Donegal man guilty of Murder. Suppose thats part of what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I always heard it said a Donegal Jury would never find a Donegal man guilty of Murder. Suppose thats part of what happened.

And the donegal public could never be considered Pro-Garda either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

My thoughts go out to the family, girlfriend and colleagues of Robbie McCallion. They must be devastated once again. Despite the farcical nature of the judicial system, I wont forget Robbie. Nor will anyone on this forum.

foinse wrote: »
    Because every case involving death by dangerous driving doesn't usually see the offender driving straight at the person that has been killed. It usually entails someone driving like an idiot and getting into an accident with another car.

It appears the jury don't share your opinion there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

The slimy little prick had some slimy little prick barrister...court system is broke..

Advertisement