Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-duty PSNI officer shoots robber dead

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

The fact is many people see the reactions of this officer as difficult, heroic and proportionate while others could say it was un-proportionate and overtly violent.

That being said, If you can find me the man/woman who wants to take a knife to the throat/body/face, I will shake your hand, sir.

It is alleged that the assailant had a knife to the throat of an innocent civilian and then lunged at the officer...

Now I ask you, if it had of been you in the civilian's shoes, the assailants shoes and the officers shoes what would you have done?

We can't say what we would have done in each situation as we were not there and we are not aware of the contributing factors in each decision and movement that occurred during the incident, we can opinionate until the cows come home. The officer did not want to take a life when he got up that morning and the joe soap didn't want to have a knife held against his throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

shampon wrote: »
    The fact is many people see the reactions of this officer as difficult, heroic and proportionate while others could say it was un-proportionate and overtly violent.

That being said, If you can find me the man/woman who wants to take a knife to the throat/body/face, I will shake your hand, sir.

It is alleged that the assailant had a knife to the throat of an innocent civilian and then lunged at the officer...

Now I ask you, if it had of been you in the civilian's shoes, the assailants shoes and the officers shoes what would you have done?

We can't say what we would have done in each situation as we were not there and we are not aware of the contributing factors in each decision and movement that occurred during the incident, we can opinionate until the cows come home. The officer did not want to take a life when he got up that morning and the joe soap didn't want to have a knife held against his throat.

If the guy lunged at the officer he deserved all he got, you’re right we don’t know how we would act if we were in the situation…
    The more facts we’re learning about this particular case the more I’m siding with the Police Officer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If the crook was holding a knife to someone, or ran at the cop, and he was shot, then tough. As a lot of people have said here, dont arm yourself unless you are willing to take the consequences.

Exactly.
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Thats no what I am saying at all, shooting someone must be a last resort, hopefully it was in this case.

I've read your blog... For some reason, your feelings on Jean McConvilles murder didn't come across as strong as they do in relation to this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

If you commit a violent crime while armed with any weapon you must accept the consequences.
    Well done to the officer concerned.

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭pah

Funfair wrote: »
    Originally Posted by goldie fish
    As a cop, I'd say he had a fair idea.

Yep as a Civilan I'd also say your spot on there.

LOL goldie fish meant as a cop - the cop would have a fair idea not that goldie's a cop. :P

pah wrote: »
    LOL goldie fish meant as a cop - the cop would have a fair idea not that goldie's a cop. :P

He should be arrested for impersonating a Guard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

He should be arrested for impersonating a Guard :D

Tis 13 years since I was mistaken for a cop.. and I was one then...:cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So they should gun down people robbing shops then?

It seems to me that it's at least something of an occupational hazard. After all, most robberies are carried out with weapons, the threat is 'I do not consider life to be worth your property'. If you want to play that game, you have to accept the possibility that you will lose the bluff.
    Now I ask you, if it had of been you in the civilian's shoes

Pet peeve. All persons involved as far as I can tell were civilians.

There has been 'creep' of the definition of 'civilian' into what should be 'private citizen'. The true definition is effectively 'Not military.'

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

As someone who was attacked by three scumbags while working in an off-licence, admitedly unarmed but three of them and one of me, my first sympathy goes to the staff of the shop. If the attacker was armed he got what he deserved and I wish that police officer had been in my shop when I needed help. I hope the police officer recovers from this and can put it behind him.

• Advertisement

There has been 'creep' of the definition of 'civilian' into what should be 'private citizen'. The true definition is effectively 'Not military.'

NTM

I read this post a couple of times and still can't make sense of what your talking about :confused:

Also what is NTM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

I read this post a couple of times and still can't make sense of what your talking about :confused:

Also what is NTM ?

He's referring to the usage of the term 'civilian' by members of the military, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

It seems to me that it's at least something of an occupational hazard. After all, most robberies are carried out with weapons, the threat is 'I do not consider life to be worth your property'. If you want to play that game, you have to accept the possibility that you will lose the bluff.

NTM

I believe the context was civilian as opposed to the police officer.

The Oxford English definition;
    Pronunciation:/sɪˈvɪlj(ə)n/
    noun

a person not in the armed services or the police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭pah

shampon wrote: »
    He's referring to the usage of the term 'civilian' by members of the military, I think.

He's referring to the (incorrect) usage of the term 'civilian' by members of the general public, I think.

Definition

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

sorry for his family he got his just reward, he who lives by the sword dies by the sword .

The legal definition of 'Civilian' is 'not military.' Both in civil and military law. (Note even there the distinction: Police enforce civilian laws, military police enforce military law)

However, there has been growing use of the term 'civilian' to mean anyone who is not a member of the various uniformed services, to include military, police or fire service. This took off in the US a while back, and has started to filter into common English in Europe as well. As a result, if you look up Webster's today, (Or the Oxford link two posts up) it will say 'not military, police, fire service', but if you look up a Webster's from 1980 it will just say 'not military'. Black's Law Dictionary, however, still defines 'civilian' as 'not military', and the various international treaties currently in force use a similar distinction. There already is a perfectly good term for someone who is not acting on behalf of the government, and that is 'private citizen.'

This shift is already causing angst in the US as it's perceived as reinforcing a separation between police forces and the public. Granted, US police forces have a slightly different culture, for example the California Highway Patrol web site blatantly says it's a paramilitary organisation, but most European agencies seem to stick with the Peelian notion that "police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen"
    Also what is NTM ?

My intials. I sign the end of my posts.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

The legal definition of 'Civilian' is 'not military.' Both in civil and military law. (Note even there the distinction: Police enforce civilian laws, military police enforce military law)

However, there has been growing use of the term 'civilian' to mean anyone who is not a member of the various uniformed services, to include military, police or fire service. This took off in the US a while back, and has started to filter into common English in Europe as well. As a result, if you look up Webster's today, (Or the Oxford link two posts up) it will say 'not military, police, fire service', but if you look up a Webster's from 1980 it will just say 'not military'. Black's Law Dictionary, however, still defines 'civilian' as 'not military', and the various international treaties currently in force use a similar distinction. There already is a perfectly good term for someone who is not acting on behalf of the government, and that is 'private citizen.'

This shift is already causing angst in the US as it's perceived as reinforcing a separation between police forces and the public. Granted, US police forces have a slightly different culture, for example the California Highway Patrol web site blatantly says it's a paramilitary organisation, but most European agencies seem to stick with the Peelian notion that "police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen"

Interesting view.

I see much of Europe's police as paramilitary in particular the French and Germans and to a lesser degree the Italians and Spanish. Peelian principles tend not to be as visible in these places.

Where does reserve military feature on your civilian-v-non-civilian-ometer?

NTM

Thank you for your efforts in writing all that just for me :) I used the word Civilian in my post, as I remember a Mate of mine in the Navy used it regular to describe everyone that wasn't in the Navy.

Your probably right I shouldn't maybe have used the word when talking about the police as it's more a Military term.
    NTM

OHH me stupid :D

Interesting view.

I see much of Europe's police as paramilitary in particular the French and Germans and to a lesser degree the Italians and Spanish. Peelian principles tend not to be as visible in these places.

Depends on the organisation. The Gendarmerie in France are part of the Ministry of Defence and not civilian. The Police Nationale are a civil organisation. Many people don't know that the Gendarmes are military as they are routinely tasked with civilian law enforcement duties and that is what they are mostly seen doing by the public but the distinction definitely exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Police_(France)
    The National Police is one of two national police forces and the main civil law enforcement agency of France, with primary jurisdiction in cities and large towns. The other main agency is the military Gendarmerie with primary jurisdiction in smaller towns and rural and border areas

Again, note the civil/military distinction. Bear in mind that the Gendarmerie have a combat role in the case that France is invaded.
    Where does reserve military feature on your civilian-v-non-civilian-ometer?

On duty, military. Off duty, civilian.

NTM

Advertisement