Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-duty PSNI officer shoots robber dead

Options
  • 04-02-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Knife man shot dead by off-duty Officer

2975458494.jpg

THE Police Ombudsman is investigating the fatal shooting of a man by an off-duty police officer during a suspected robbery in east Belfast. The man who died was shot shortly after 7pm by a police officer at a garage on the Albertbridge Road, said the Police Ombudsman.

“Initial inquiries suggest that an off-duty officer discharged his firearm,” a police spokesman said. The circumstances of the incident, which was reported to police as a robbery at 7.05pm, are still being established, he added. Nobody else was injured. There were reports that the man shot dead, believed to be in his 20s, was armed with a knife. Investigators from the Police Ombudsman’s office were quickly at the scene last night. The watchdog automatically investigates every time a PSNI officer discharges a weapon.

Councillor Jim Rodgers, chairman of the East Belfast District Policing Partnership, said there had been a spate of robberies in the area in recent times.

“My thoughts are with the family of this man who has lost his life. There have been a spate of robberies in east Belfast in the last few weeks with large amounts of money being taken. “Many businesses are closing at this time and some of those concerned have been robbed several times.”

The councillor said he had met with senior police offcers in relation to the ongoing robberies.

Sinn Fein assembly member Alex Maskey, who sits on the Policing Board, said he was in contact with police over the shooting. He added: “This is obviously an issue of the utmost seriousness and one which must be investigated fully by the Police Ombudsman’s office.”

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/man_is_shot_dead_by_off_duty_officer_1_2379654

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

The officer took the action they deemed necessary I presume. Should be awarded a medal instead of the Vultures circling picking holes in their actions..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't see anything wrong with a fair investigation being routine after shooting someone.

NTM

I don't see anything wrong with a fair investigation being routine after shooting someone.

NTM

Nobody has a problem with that. The problem is people are already condemning the officer on a local basis and on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

NTM

In a country with tight gun control one would expect nothing less where a loss of life has resulted from the actions of a police officer. However incidents such as this are often use as a vehicle by those with an anti-police/establishment agenda and often the Constable's welfare is overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

NTM

what's NTM :confused:

• Advertisement

I young fella armed with a knife gets shot dead.. on face value it sounds like an over reaction by the Police officer.. but as we don't know the details we'll have to wait and see before hanging the guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Funfair wrote: »
    I young fella armed with a knife gets shot dead..

Tough, don't arm yourself with a knife and you won't get shot seem's to be the lesson here.. Seem's fair.

Must be awful for the lads loved one's and the policeman involved.

More armed robber's should be shot.

Tough, don't arm yourself with a knife and you won't get shot seem's to be the lesson here.. Seem's fair.

Must be awful for the lads loved one's and the policeman involved.

More armed robber's should be shot.

I get the drift... but most young fella's are just a bit stupid at the best of time and getting caught and arrested might smarten them up as opposed to killing them and wondering what might have being.

Everyone deserves a second chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I get the drift... but most young fella's are just a bit stupid at the best of time and getting caught and arrested might smarten them up as opposed to killing them and wondering what might have being.

Have you ever thought about how quick someone can stab you ?

Not wishing to comment on this particular case as it's still under investigation but in general I'd argue the point that an armed robber threatening someone with a knife is showing clear intention and willingness to use unlawful lethal violence.

Given that observation I honestly can't see anything wrong with a police officer countering such a threath of unlawful lethal violence with the lawful means at his/her disposal.

It goes without saying that it is very unfortunate that such action can result in death but when faced with a threath of lethal violence directed at oneself or a member of the public a police officer unfortunately hasn't got much of a choice.

Have you ever thought about how quick someone can stab you ?

Not wishing to comment on this particular case as it's still under investigation but in general I'd argue the point that an armed robber threatening someone with a knife is showing clear intention and willingness to use unlawful lethal violence.

Given that observation I honestly can't see anything wrong with a police officer countering such a threath of unlawful lethal violence with the lawful means at his/her disposal.

It goes without saying that it is very unfortunate that such action can result in death but when faced with a threath of lethal violence directed at oneself or a member of the public a police officer unfortunately hasn't got much of a choice.

Not arguing with you some valid points there.. but the same crime would more likely then not have ended with an arrest if it happened south of the border as an Off Duty Guard wouldn't have being carrying a gun..

Of course you could say the Guard might have done nothing or the crime might have ended in a murder with a knife but as I said more then likely an arrest.

• Advertisement

Of course you could say the Guard might have done nothing or the crime might have ended in a murder with a knife but as I said more then likely an arrest.

Why 'more than likely'?

UTV reported that the suspect had a knife to a member of the public's throat. As a result he got shot.

The moral would appear to be don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

I recall seeing something online relating to how fast someone armed with just a blade can be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

what's NTM :confused:

Not the momma

Tags wrote: »
    I recall seeing something online relating to how fast someone armed with just a blade can be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

yeah I remember reading most Police forces train in disarming knife attackers.. here's a video in case PSNI members didn't get that training :)
    http://www.ehow.com/video_2368174_block-disarm-attacker-knife.html

yeah I remember reading most Police forces train in disarming knife attackers.. here's a video in case PSNI members didn't get that training :)

I'm sure they'll appreciate your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

I think it serves as a reminder of just how SERIOUS it is to produce a knife/engage in knife crime. I think we forget sometimes, as knives are found so often. In essence you are producing a lethal weapon. Once you wield a knife the risk factors increase for everyone and you're playing big boys rules now. Whats the old adage - live by the sword die by the sword?

Its been said already we don't know the in's and out's but i'd suspect a police officer/Garda would be well covered using lethal force against someone who produced and/or threatened to use a knife on someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Why couldn't he just shoot the knife out of his hand?

:D

http://www.ehow.com/video_2368174_block-disarm-attacker-knife.html

You seem very good and knowledgeable in finding things on the net. Go find how many people have been stabbed to death or seriously injured over the last few years and then decide whether or not a gun is not a fair match. Failing that, keep your uninformed views to yourself or AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

All very nice if you're Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee or some hard man in a gym. Unfortunately policing doesn't happen on film sets or in the controlled environment of a gym with a rubber knife....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

yeah I remember reading most Police forces train in disarming knife attackers..[/URL]

Yes they do standard practice is to shoot them till they drop the knife. Disarms them pretty damn quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I young fella armed with a knife gets shot dead.. on face value it sounds like an over reaction by the Police officer

Logically then you think a police officer should be obliged to produce a knife of equal length and sharpness then engage in unarmed combat to the death?

Hmmm, did the robber use equal force to his victim I wonder or perhaps his poor victim was completely unarmed and didnt think a knife was really in the spirit if fair play either. Come to think of it, the next time I see someone speeding and drunk driving I shall immediately open a can of Dutch gold and start the engine......

Now, Im off to start a new game of cowboys and indians or possible start another round of 'shoot the 2 inch wide wrist thats holding the knife' as you seem convinced so many police do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Eru wrote: »
    Logically then you think a police officer should be obliged to produce a knife of equal length and sharpness then engage in unarmed combat to the death?

All police officers should be armed with swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

He could have, just for arguements sake, just as easily bumped into plain clothes armed gardai south of the border who'd have done the same thing. Everyone deserves a second chance - but they cripple their chances when they wield a knife towards police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

What is it about threads like this that attract the Walter Mitty bridage?

'He should have disarmed him'......... :rolleyes:

Tell you what, hang around outside the local nightclub and try it when the local gurriers are going at it with bottles and knives.

Let us know how you get on, won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No sympathy at all. Allowing for a little speculation, it's probably fair to say he was armed with a knife and given plenty warning to drop it. If you're stupid enough not to, then by god you deserve everything you get ;)

Moral of the story - don't rob a shop = don't get shot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Just like my learned colleague meathstevie, I too cannot comment on this case for obvious reasons, but I can say this:

When I went through Garnerville, the PSP trainers had a rubber knife and a rubber Glock as props. The Glock was given to a Student Officer to holster, and the trainer had the knife. The trainer asked the S/O how far back he wanted him to step before he felt comfortable that he could draw the Glock in time to avoid being stabbed.

Of course, the S/O said "Keep going... more... more... more...". The trainer ended up around 40 feet away judging by the markers on the floor. Trainer: "Are you sure you can draw that quicker that I can get to you?" S/O: "Yeah, fairly sure".

With that, the trainer lets out the loudest roar and sprints straight at the S/O still screaming, knife in the air. The roar caught us all off guard. The S/O panicked, fumbled the holster button and was 'stabbed' before he could come up on aim... from 40 feet away.

I learned a valuable lesson that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

"Drop the knife" .. (second chance) "Drop the knife or I'll shoot" - squeez the trigger.... Cures stupidity in armed robber's too!.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

I see the overtly liberal, tree hugger crusties are out in force. Ah for the world to be so black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I have to say I side with the police officer here if there had been no knife /robbery there would have been no shooting I hope it does not affect the psni member in any way

• Advertisement

I have to say I side with the police officer here if there had been no knife /robbery there would have been no shooting I hope it does not affect the psni member in any way

You can say that without knowing anything of the case? Also if knowbody broke any law we wouldn't need any Police officers.. unfortunatley this is not the world we live in

Advertisement