Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission Impossible

Options
  • 04-02-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Mission Impossible I call this... Ok a bit of back ground...play a bit of soccer play a bit of GAA but havent been fully fit for along long time due to injuries holding me back(thats my excuse). I quit the GAA early last year as lost interest slightly and decided to focus on doing 10k runs and half marathons to keep me motivated to be fit. I ran the Dublin Pheonix Park 10k in April 2010 my first race ever and done it in 55 mins....I know poor.. I then did a Half Marathon in June in 2 hours:06mins... savage improvement i thought....
    I then done another half marathon in October in Galway and finished that in just over 2 hours..full 6 minutes improvement on my previous half.

But in all honesty I let it slip then for the rest of the year and like your average Irish 29 year old male booze fueled weekends took over and double helpings at xmas did not help things.. I was not in good shape..

I made a new brave commitment in January tho, that I was going to push on again and try to be fitter again.. I started by making the bold decision on the 3/1/2011 to go off alcohol for at least the full month of January..This wasnt difficult considering I had drank the bit out of it over the Xmas. I was sick of the sight of it. My running partner from the year before then advised me of a 8k road race taking place the second week in January. I done about a week and a half of training for this that consisted of 2 decent runs and a few recreational sports sessions(5 a side and racquetball). I completed the run in 41mins. very happy with that.

Lets skip to the present.. It is the 3/2/11, I still have not drank a drop of alcohol since the 3/1/11.. I started back Gaelic training last weekend which was very tough consisting of two sessions with a lot of sprint work...I was well behind the majority of the squad. I had one gym session this week(wednesday morning) consisted of 10 minute bike, 5 minute rower, 15 minutes stepper, and 5 minutes on sit ups and press ups.

Also been doing press ups and push ups in the evenings.

I am back Gaelic training this weekend,consisting of 2 sessions over the weekend again, prob going to be all speed work again so should knock 7 shades of crap out of me..

here are some statistics

Weight: 12 stone 3llbs
    Height: 5' 6"

As you can see i am definately carrying excess weight, ideally I would love to lose at least 1 stone. But I have set a target to get under 12stone asap.. and then go from there..

No drink again this weekend, just 2 training sessions

I will update you further on this next week..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Just got word earlier today that GAA training has been canceled for the weekend, due to issues out of the clubs control.. bit of a balls cause the training is good and pushes me well past my limits...

But to make up for it, I am heading to the gym this evening, hope to do an hours sesh. And hope to get at least another session in over the weekend, a team mate who says he needs to train too, has offered to join me either in the gym or on the beach saturday or sunday.

Training on my own isnt as good as I dont have anyone pushing me but I will give it a good shot.

so hopefully all going well it will be a productive weekend afterall.

I will do updates once a week on my weight etc... I done a body mass index thingy today and it came out as overweight, I need to lose 16 lbs to get back to my correct weight so alot of work to be done..

Right, just an update on what I managed over the weekend. I made it to the gym Friday night started off with 5 minute bike ride...intervals to give my legs a tough workout. I then done a stretch and followed this up with 50 sit ups..

Then I went to threadmill and done a 10 minute run, just over a mile long...done another 50 sit ups after this...finished off with 15 minutes on the cross trainer, fat burner mode at the top level...I know all this added uponly makes 30 minutes but I was in the gym for 50mins..

Felt ok Saturday but took a day off...

Sunday morning I hit the gym again... much the same routine started off on the bike...nailed it this time stuck at it for 15 mins and was doing intervals..
    threadmill 10 minutes just over a mile
    cross trainer 15 minutes highest level
    200 sit ups

Now I really need to join a gym full time, so thats my taks for tomorrow to ring around and get prices,may sign up for 3 or 6 months just to see how it all goes.. And hopefully get a few gym sessions in this week...maybe get a programme done out and all that..

so thats it I have set a challenge to be below 12 stone this friday morning... thats my aim now for this week....

G'day, Right I havent done any sort of fitness work since Sunday...but I have been productive...I signed up to day to a 3 month membership with a local small leisure centre. I wasnt feeling too well yesterday or most of today so decided to giving it a miss tonight, but will be back at it tomorrow fingers crossed.

I have started eating proper healthy today too eating loadsa fruit, drank lots of water and after having a dinner with loads of veg so hope to keep that up too..

So here is to a big gym sesh tomorrow!!

Well, went to the Gym this evening, went well,well over an hour in it
    My routine was as follows

Bike - 15 minutes Hill Trek Level 15- i think
    Threadmill - 10 minutes - 1 mile (was slow to start)
    Rower- 10 minutes 2100 metres
    100 sit ups
    Low Bike 1* 4 minute burst, calfed tho cause level too high
    Low Bike 1* 10 minute at Level 10
    Cross Trainer 10 mins Weight Loss sesh at Level 8 of 10

All in all very happy with that, Over an hour in the gym, Legs well worked.
    Followed up by a good dinner with lots of Veg..
    Been eating very healthy too since Monday..Thinking of the task I set myself at the weekend of getting below 12 stone by Friday morning now seems like its gonna be close, not as confident as I was... I hope tonights sesh gives me a good push..

Might go for a swim tomorrow night,as I do have Gaelic Training Friday night and dont want to be wrecked for that as it does be tough enough and there is no sympathy there.

Talk soon

Made use of my 3 month gym membership to night with an hour long swim...will post my weight tomorrow morning....confident now that I will break the 12 stone barrier!

• Advertisement

My First Target to be under 12 stone by this Friday has been completed..

Weight: 11 st 13lbs

a pound to spare ha ha, hopefully will never see that 12 stone again!!

Gaelic Training tonight so looking forward to that!

Right well I broke out the weekend and went out saturday night, but I was training Friday night and again Saturday... Was dying yesterday after my first night out on the sauce for 40 days.. then got the junk food craving last night and had a chicken kebab and chips :(

But didnt dwell too much on it and got back into the swing of things today, made my third visit to my new gym

15 mins * Bike Intervals Level 10
    15 mins * Rower...3100 metres
    15 mins * Threadmill 8 laps approx 2 miles

so that was hopefully most of the drink sweated out of me...
    healthy dinner afterwards

7 a side soccer tomorrow night now as well I will be back on track before i know it!!

This Weeks Aim: I aim to be below 11st 13lbs by this friday morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

congrats on the progress made so far. Keep it up.

Just a suggestion but you might want to look into doing some resistance work to help increase muscle rather than just all the cardio that you are doing at the minute.

connollys wrote: »
    congrats on the progress made so far. Keep it up.

Just a suggestion but you might want to look into doing some resistance work to help increase muscle rather than just all the cardio that you are doing at the minute.

Thanks Connollys, Ya thinking that myself too,will hopefully add some weights into my program when I go to the Gym next on Wednesday. But to be honest I am very happy with my Muscle build, both in my legs and upper body, As in previous years I have done alot of weight work. I am more concerned about losing Body Fat...But I do understand where you are coming from...

Right I had football last night and went to gym this evening.....
    decided to focus on some resistance training.....forgive me as I was using a multi exercise weights machine for a good bit and I dont have the weights I actually lifted but it went something like this...

3 *10 Leg lifts
    3 *10 latts
    3 *10 some sort of stomach muscle crunch machine

3* 10 leg lunges with 20kg
    3*8 shoulder lifts with barbells 8kg each
    3 * 10 bench press 10kg( poor i know but first time on the weights equipment i didnt wanna break them ha
    3 * 10 arm curl 8kg each
    2 * 10 press ups
    20 sit ups
    3 * 10 legs curls

finished off with a quick 5 minute jog....

nice to break it up I guess from all the cardio as advised by connollys, hope to go again tomorrow and do a session of cardio again or maybe a mix, as I have football training Friday night and I dont want to be completely wrecked....Did I mention I am going on a Stag do Saturday night.....there is that as well!!

• Advertisement

Couldnt stay away from the Gym tonight
    so headed away after to work but it was a short sesh since I have football training tomorrow night

Thread mill 20 mins 4.5k
    Rower 5min 1000m
    Stepper 10 mins Level 10

then popped into the jacuzzi for 10 mins

Had a fairly big healthy late dinner....so the weigh in tomorrow will prob be high but I should break last weeks weight which was my aim this week!!!!

I will Post it here in the morning!

Morning,

Well the late dinner must have had an effect this morning, must remember not to do that again and indeed not such a big portion no matter how hungry I am....

11 st 12.2

Just about got under the 11 st 13 mark from last week but poor when I havent even lost a pound....but I did lose something....I will just keep ploughing on!!

Training tonite, Stag Saturday back to normal Sunday/Monday

God I was wrecked today after the weekend.....Damn those stag do's

Anyway headed for the Gym

Bike 15 minutes Hill Programme
    Rower 10 minutes 2100 metres
    done 3 sets of 10 leg curl and leg lift- honestly dont know what i lifted
    3 set of 10 butterflys
    3 sets of 8 8kg above the shoulder dumbells
    3 sets of 10 8kg arm curl

100 sit ups

finished with 10 minutes on threadmill 2.4km

so thats monday out of the way....a late enough dinner but not too heavy

hope to hit the gym again tomorrow and hopefully have a bit more energy

Would like to get the weight down again this Friday if I can!!! but will do well after the weekend I have had!!
    Battle on!!

Another Day another Day at the Gym,....
    start off with yesterday.....stomach very sore after the Gym sesh think it was the 100 sit ups
    played 2 hours of 9 a side....great run around well wrecked after it

Today
    Did nt feel great was at the Doctors today and was put on anti biotics...could have taken the nite off really but decided to do something
    Gym
    started off with 15 minute Bike Level 13
    10 minutes rower 2185 metres

3*8 butter fly
    3*10 latt pull down
    3*10 dumb bell arm curl 8kg
    3*8 above head dumbbell lifts
    100 sit ups

so thats it, doubt I will get anything done tomorrow as I am working away...but hopefully will be GAA training Friday night...will update on Friday morning with my weight

Ok so, was working late last night so wasnt able to do any exercise of any kind. But my weight this morning is .....

11 st 11.2lbs

Down 1lb from last week, but since my first week I havent really been losing as much??? I suppose I did have the Stag do last weekend...

well GAA training tonight, and no alcohol this weekend.

will just have to keep at it.....

Well Its Week 4 already, the weeks are flying I guess thats a good thing...

Friday...GAA Training tough session alot of circuit drills, working on core and legs...
    Saturday GAA game - came on as a sub for the first team 15 minutes, happy enough with that this early in the season. Had a few beers that night to celebrate..
    still felt sore from training friday night on Sunday.

Tonight back in the Gym

Bike 15 mins intervals
    Rower 15 mins 3200 metres
    3*10 chest butterflys
    3*10 lat pulls downs
    100 sit ups
    3*10 8kg arm curl
    3*8 8kg above head
    5 minute run in threadmill to cool down

Football tomorrow night now..will keep plugging away

Hey, right Tuesday night 2 hours of soccer and then tonight back to the gym.

Bike 15 mins intervals level 10
    Rower 15 mins 3295 metres
    3*10 chest butterflys
    3*10 lat pulls downs
    3 * 10 stomach crunch with weights
    3*12 8kg arm curl
    3*8 8kg above head
    5 minute run in threadmill to cool down

had a fairly big late dinner this evening while I watched Celtic beat Rangers....will prob hit the gym again tomorrow but will do just a light sesh.

Gaelic again at the weekend...

Right short spell in the Gym,I was drained this evening even before I went to the Gym. Seem to be like that alot lately my body must be missing certain foods I have cut out, not sure to be honest...

So be this was it

Bike 15 mins intervals level 10
    Rower 5 mins 1093 metres
    2 * 10 Press ups
    100 sit ups
    3*8 10kg arm curl -stepped it up tonight
    3*8 8kg above head

The weekly weigh in tomorrow morning, very confident I will be lighter than last week for sure....it would be nice to lose half a stone over 4 weeks....cant remember ever losing that in that period!

Weight 11 stone 8.4 lbs
    thats a loss of 8lbs since I started this blog....I think I should get down to at least 11 stone, but I do realise that the lower I get the more difficult it will be...but I am still visibly carrying weight.....so its got to go!!

Training tonight, match Saturday....Dont think I will get as many work outs in next week due to work, will prob only get 2 max..

But will keep going!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mandous

I am not my losing weight, but i am struggling hard for
    the weight loss but no result. it look Mission Impossible for me.

• Advertisement

Well the start of Week 5 no point easing off the gas now thats my attitude this Monday evening...

just a recap of the weekend...
    Friday Light GAA Training
    Saturday and Sunday took part in a GAA Tournament, did not play either day :(

So back to the present, had a big feed yesterday evening after the Tournament and 4 pints of Guinness yummmmmmm.

Tired today but went at it again
    Gym
    15 minutes Bike Intervals uped it to Level 11
    Rest 10 minutes Bile Intervals Level 11 -260 calories in total
    110 sit ups
    3*10 butterfly presses
    3*10 lat pull downs
    2* 8 10kg bicep curl
    1*10 10 kg bicep curl
    3*10 10 kg dumbells over head

2*25 leg lifts
    2*25 leg curls

happy enough with that, stepped it upon the bike and tried to tire myself out as much as possible on the weights...not sure how much I can get done this week so making the most of it while I can.... need to get the healthy eating back on track tomorrow

Mandous wrote: »
    I am not my losing weight, but i am struggling hard for
    the weight loss but no result. it look Mission Impossible for me.

how long you been training? u should start a blog its great to be able to look back and see what you have done and keep track of where you are! and where you were, high points and low points... Keep at it and if its not working try changing it....I am not a great one to give advise I have only been doing this 4 weeks myself

Tuesday: 7 a side football
    Tonight: 10 minute Bike intervals@ level 12 - wasnt up to anymore at that level had to go back down to level 11
    15 minutes Bike Intervals @ level 11
    10 minutes Bike Intervals at level 11 Total of 35 minutes on Bike 360 calories

50 situps on ball with 5kg weight
    2*5 pressups with bars - dunno the name of them they are like stands that are 6 inches off the floor
    3*5 10kg barbell lifts over head
    2*8 10kg bicep curl
    1*10 10 kg bicep curl

2*10 10kg bent over row with dumbells
    2*10 10kg one barbell lifting from behind myhead to over my head

and that was it, I was hungry going into the gym although I had eaten a banana and had a cup of coffee 2 hours earlier..If I had eaten anymore I wouldnt have been able to do anything, but I didnt get to eat proper till 9pm....when was grilled turkey pieces, noodles and veg but yeah I know way too much late in the evening!!

Dont think I will go below my weight from last friday this week...

Dunno if I will get to go to the Gym tomorrow with work... but I have GAA training Friday night and apparently the next 6 weeks are going to be hell so has to do me some good... will post my weight friday morning no matter weather i have lost or not!!

Thursday - no gym, hamstrings sore from bike on wednesday and training friday.

weigh in this morning
    11st 9.4lbs
    gained 1 lb from last week, no idea how I managed that, the only thing I can think of is maybe I ate crap at the weekend as my weight had rocketed on Monday...
    been training hard and not ate any crap all week, its a bit frustrating...
    must keep at it and get down again!!

Yes unfortunately I have those Injury woes again that have plagued me in the last few years.....Lets start at the beginning
    Friday night training, was absolutely unmerciful some ball work but then 30 minutes of laps and laps with cones along the side lines and certain cones you had to sprint at, so u had about 4 short sprints in one lap and no stopping......was really really hard and apparently thats what we are gonna be doing for the next 5 weeks and extending the time each week.

Saturday
    Light training session with ball work, felt ok togging out but 15 minutes in I had to pull up with a tight hamstring....Looked bad too on me as I was marking a former county u-21 and looked like I shrugged the challenge but anyways these things happen

Saturday Night
    GAA Social Gathering - say no more

Sunday
    Day off - Recovery from more than just training :)

Tonight I went to the gym even though my hammer was tight, just a routine thing that I couldnt sit back...

40 minutes intervals Bike 410 calories...level 11

followed by turkey, rice, spinach and carrot dinner

will have to see what the hammer is like in the morning, it is stiff enough now!

Tuesday night 7 aside soccer, my hamstring felt ok at the start but had to ease up again after 5 minutes, played the game out with out over doing myself tried to get at least the cardio work out of it.

Will need to ease off the hammer for a few days

Tonight Gym...
    10 minutes on bike level 11 intervals
    left the leg work at that

3*10 chest press
    3*10 lat pull downs
    2*10 stomach with weight crunches
    1*15 stomach with weight crunches
    50 situps on ball with 5kg weight
    50 situps on ball with 10kg weight
    1*8 bicep curl 10 kg
    2*10 bicep curl 10kg
    1*6 seated shoulder press 10kg
    2*8 seated shoulder press 10kg
    3*10 kg one arm row

For the first time tonight I seen progress in my body shape, its moments like that, keeps the motivation going!!

11stone 9.4 again this morning
    not sure if its a good thing that the weight is steady or if its bad that I am not losing much more.... had a few drinks wednesday night and a dose of curry chips after prob had an effect

I have another week to lose some more lbs then I have to work on call with work which means I wont get to go training or the gym for a week

I had a target to be below 11' 10.5 lbs(11 3/4stone) by Paddys day and I done that.
    I have set a target to be below 11 stone 3lbs by the 1st of June...I think its a very achievable goal!

Tough GAA training tonight, hopefully my hamstring will hold up

Ok
    Friday night: savage training session over an hour long all running
    Saturday: another hour of training, not as much running but alot of ball work
    few pints saturday night

Tonight Gym...
    30 minutes on bike level 11 intervals
    left the leg work at that

3*9 chest press
    2*10 chest press
    3*10 lat pull downs
    1*15 stomach with weight crunches
    1*20 stomach with weight crunches
    3*8 bicep curl 10kg
    1*6 seated shoulder press 10kg
    2*8 seated shoulder press 10kg

I didnt think I would make the gym tonight so this was a bonus! followed by grill pork chop, noodles and carrots dinner...

I call this Bonus cause I honestly didnt think I would get a chance to go to the gym tonight because of work...but this will be my last gym session for over a week due to work....so all next week will come down to healthy eating..

Tuesday Night: Soccer

Tonight: well since it was my last sesh for a while I pushed it alittle bit more

Bike
    4* 10 mins@ level 12- this was big improvement as in previous sessions I could just manage 1 *10mins @ 12

100 situps with 5kg weight
    3*8 press ups with stands
    3* 10 chest butter flys
    3* 10 lat pull downs
    1* 8 bicep curl 10kg

I wont be doing anything tomorrow, but I will sign in with my weight this friday....hey could I make the same weight 3 weeks in a row?????

• Advertisement

Ok my weekly weigh in first
    11 stone 7.4lbs
    so after 2 weeks of being 9.4 lbs I have finally made some progress again....Its gonna be a quiet week ahead tho on the exercise front so will be happy to weigh in at the same weight next week.....

Until next week....

Advertisement