Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Right lane ignorance

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Gophur wrote: »
    But why would you choose the RH lane to travel in instead of the LH lane?

The dual carriage way I would drive on has three or four roundabouts so I would always stay on the "inside lane" on the roundabout, and just stay in the right lane to enable me to get to the inside lane on the next roundabout.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    So you didn't pay much attention to the rules of the road book then eh?

Yes I did, but as I said before, there is a lot in the book. I hold my hands up and admit that I missed something. Did you learn the whole book off by heart?
    Give her a break ffs. It's not easy to come on to a thread like this and stand up and say they were wrong and they have learned a lesson.

Thank you. I was using myself as an example to show the OP that a lot of people don't know about the right lane thing. I didn't expect to be ripped apart for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Give her a break ffs. It's not easy to come on to a thread like this and stand up and say they were wrong and they have learned a lesson.

I want to echo this and say fair play to ElleEm for admitting to making this error.

The Motors forum is full of people criticising others driving styles/techniques or how they choose to decorate/modify their car and for the first time I've ever seen we have someone come on and admit to the mistakes they have been making and they get pounced on.

More constructive criticism and less "high-horsedness", I believe, would encourage more people to admit their mistakes and look for guidance/opinions on the correct way to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

antodeco wrote: »
    I always give out to my missus for driving in the right lane. She is beginning to learn. She always gives out to me for "lane hopping" when its simply me moving to the left most lane. Ill break her habit eventually!!

.... OR her Legs, whichever gets the point across quicker!

Drive motoway/n4 everyday and the amount of idiots i come across is unbelievable. Im only 21 which when they get flashed/beeped at etc. they seem to take offence and purposely not move!

Sure one man, on n4 towards maynooth, wouldn't move out of my way from Lucan to Celbridge west exit (About 1.5 miles) and the more i beeped and flashed, the more he stuck up his fingers (I couldnt undertake)... I eventually got in front of him, and to be a c***, i slowed down to 50km/h for a few min (Its a 120km/h zone)... I know thats not the right thing to do, but i was stressed and angry at this moron and wanted him to feel how i did...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Here's the only thing that will get through to them:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

kazul wrote: »
    I hope you're taking the piss here, did you ever read the rules of the road? This beggars belief, and the smiley at the end just rubs it in.
    I can just imagine "Oh, sorry Garda I didn't realise that I am obliged by law to stay in the left lane unless overtaking"

I'm just gobsmacked a Gard bothered his HOLE pulling someone over for that.
    From what I can read on Boards you will have to swerve out in front of a Gard and stand on the brakes with both feet nearly causing a crash before they'd even consider pulling you over.
    I have seen stupidity in this country that beggars belief. What I haven't seen is Gards pulling these gobsh*tes over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

kazul wrote: »
    I only undertake on very rare occasions, unlike the tool in the 99 7 series outbound on the N1 in Drumcondra this afternoon who felt the need to use the bus lane to get one place in front :confused:
    There are time when I wish I had James Bond style machine guns instead of a horn.

I wouldn't have messed with him, a 99 7 series probably did have James Bond style machine guns instead of a horn. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LCruiser Kid

DamienOB wrote: »
    .... OR her Legs, whichever gets the point across quicker!

Drive motoway/n4 everyday and the amount of idiots i come across is unbelievable. Im only 21 which when they get flashed/beeped at etc. they seem to take offence and purposely not move!

Sure one man, on n4 towards maynooth, wouldn't move out of my way from Lucan to Celbridge west exit (About 1.5 miles) and the more i beeped and flashed, the more he stuck up his fingers (I couldnt undertake)... I eventually got in front of him, and to be a c***, i slowed down to 50km/h for a few min (Its a 120km/h zone)... I know thats not the right thing to do, but i was stressed and angry at this moron and wanted him to feel how i did...

I feel your pain. I'm 21 and the amount of idiots that I see on the road everyday up and down to Cork is frightening. This week has been the worst week in a long time. Have clocked a fair bit of mileage this week as a result of college and with dad in hospital, so have witnessed some absolutely stupid driving. Drives me cracked altogether. Couldn't wait to park up when I came home. Totally fed up with driving this week :mad:. And I love driving :D.Some people seem to be half asleep or away in a world of their own when driving. Also people seem to be very over-cautious as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

sorry for dragging this one out folks,
    have been pulled TWICE for 'undertaking' in last 2 years, neither resulted in anything serious, but both times the car blocking the outside lane allowed to continue on oblivious -probably even more convinced of their righteousness.

I asked the garda to please explain, got a very obscure but severe lecture about the causes of accidents etc.
    1. What legalities do i face when i eventually do drive straight into the back of the offending car, push all and sundry off the road & hopefully not kill anybody (else).- "accidents happen";)
    2. Maybe one of the members can throw their hat into this one:
    -Can we decide on a sequence of actions that would show we tried to overtake (within law) and then after all else failed, we can then pass on inside without ending up in court. ie indicate, flash, weaving, nudging etc.
    Can i use a strobe lamp or a laser to burn their eyes out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I'm just gobsmacked a Gard bothered his HOLE pulling someone over for that.
    From what I can read on Boards you will have to swerve out in front of a Gard and stand on the brakes with both feet nearly causing a crash before they'd even consider pulling you over.
    I have seen stupidity in this country that beggars belief. What I haven't seen is Gards pulling these gobsh*tes over.

Was driving home from work yesterday morning on M50. Garda on a bike was cruising in middle lane. I was in left lane and came nearly up to him but didnt want to undertake so had to slow down. When we got to Finglas exit he moved into outside lane to overtake. He then continued cruising in that lane even though was plenty of space to move back into middle and then left lane. How can they inforce law if they dont understand themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

christy02 wrote: »
    Was driving home from work yesterday morning on M50. Garda on a bike was cruising in middle lane. I was in left lane and came nearly up to him but didnt want to undertake so had to slow down. When we got to Finglas exit he moved into outside lane to overtake. He then continued cruising in that lane even though was plenty of space to move back into middle and then left lane. How can they inforce law if they dont understand themselves?

I've seen that done but it seems that they are doing it on purpose to control the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Sounds like that garda setup a rolling block.

WRT poor lane discipline this video is pretty good, although the final piece of advice will be of little comfort.
    Apologies if it's been posted before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

montane wrote: »
    Was getting a lift with an acquaintance today. Its been a while since I was a passenger in anyones car.

I was horrified to see her hogging the right lane all the way down the n7 and then on the motorway with a line of traffic behind. Then I'd hear her complain "gosh, that guy is driving so close to me" or " whats wrong with this idiot undertaking me".

Needless to say I have never experienced so much inner conflict during a car journey before. I did say a few times while glancing in the side mirror, "oh look, seems people want to get past", or "seems the left lane is free". The response i got was "yeah but i'll stick in the fast lane" :(

People who stick to the fast lane really need to be **** I often wish I had a James Bond car with twin machine guns (or small missile tubes) mounted on the front, > flip up lid with thumb on top of gear stick, and then press 'FIRE', problem solved, fast lane now clear for overtaking :D

Sounds like she really needs to take her test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

LordSutch wrote: »
    People who stick to the fast lane really need to be **** I often wish I had a James Bond car with twin machine guns (or small missile tubes) mounted on the front, > flip up lid with thumb on top of gear stick, and then press 'FIRE', problem solved, fast lane now clear for overtaking :D

Sounds like she really needs to take her test again.

Seem's like she not the only one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Stinicker wrote: »
    A Motorway ban of Nissan Micras and Toyota Yaris's and Corollas would make the Motorway a much more enjoyable place for us consumers of decent spec'd cars.
    Please get over yourself. The motorways are very obviously public, for any one with any type of car and your problem is based on stereotypes of drivers of smaller cars. I have a lovely little 1l Yaris. I know full well how the motorway works and have often been tootling along at 140 without realising it. And I've often had other Yaris' overtake me at that speed! Just because you think they don't know where the accelerator is doesn't matter beans. I seem to be continually stuck behind people in bloody Ford Focus'. I'm usually the first one off from the lights cos I'm the only one paying attention, don't paint us all the same way. There's plenty of rubbish drivers in 'high spec' cars.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Seem's like she not the only one. :D

Very funny :rolleyes: but the outside lane on a Motorway is the fast lane, which is used for overtaking, and if you are overtaking, then you are driving faster than the car you are passing (who should be on your inside) . . .

People who sit in the fast lane (outside lane) on a Motorway are a hazzard!!! for those who wish to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So far it happened to me twice in Ireland, that I met someone on right lane of motorway when left was empty, and even I was showing patience by waiting for a minute or two, the person didn't move to the left. (in majority cases they do).
    In above 2 cases I finally gave a person a quick flash, which in both cases resulted them to move left, and to show me the middle finger when I was overtaking. And then when I finished overtaking person moved to the right lane again.

Just for comparision, I've never seen anyone traveling on overtaking lane while driving lane is empty in Germany or France.
    In Poland it happens sometimes, but I suppose usually due to slacknees, and whenever person is flashed, he moves to the driving lane and shows a hand to say he's sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Please get over yourself. The motorways are very obviously public, for any one with any type of car and your problem is based on stereotypes of drivers of smaller cars. I have a lovely little 1l Yaris. I know full well how the motorway works and have often been tootling along at 140 without realising it. And I've often had other Yaris' overtake me at that speed! Just because you think they don't know where the accelerator is doesn't matter beans. I seem to be continually stuck behind people in bloody Ford Focus'. I'm usually the first one off from the lights cos I'm the only one paying attention, don't paint us all the same way. There's plenty of rubbish drivers in 'high spec' cars.

its YARISES and FOCUSES ..oops sorry, thought it was the English Grammar Forum :D

Very funny :rolleyes: but the outside lane on a Motorway is the fast lane, which is used for overtaking, and if you are overtaking, then you are driving faster than the car you are passing (who should be on your inside) . . .

People who sit in the fast lane (outside lane) on a Motorway are a hazzard!!! for those who wish to pass.

LOL, by that logic the driving lane must the fast lane too, otherwise you wouldn't shouldn't be moving into the overtaking lane to overtake if you're not already going faster than the vehicle in front. But I do agree that people who hog any lane except the leftmost driving lane can be a hazard.

"Fast lane" has connotations of a lane where one can legitimately cruise along at a much higher speed than others, hence the reason the term is so inappropriate and misused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

montane wrote: »
    Was getting a lift with an acquaintance today. Its been a while since I was a passenger in anyones car.

I was horrified to see her hogging the right lane all the way down the n7 and then on the motorway with a line of traffic behind. Then I'd hear her complain "gosh, that guy is driving so close to me" or " whats wrong with this idiot undertaking me".

Needless to say I have never experienced so much inner conflict during a car journey before. I did say a few times while glancing in the side mirror, "oh look, seems people want to get past", or "seems the left lane is free". The response i got was "yeah but i'll stick in the fast lane" :(
    If I was her I would leave you walk next time :D Then I would have a look at the rules of the road:o

LOL, by that logic the driving lane must the fast lane too, otherwise you wouldn't shouldn't be moving into the overtaking lane to overtake if you're not already going faster than the vehicle in front. But I do agree that people who hog any lane except the leftmost driving lane can be a hazard.

"Fast lane" has connotations of a lane where one can legitimately cruise along at a much higher speed than others, hence the reason the term is so inappropriate and misused.

I think the general consensus in this thread is that the outside lane (overtaking/fast lane) on a motorway should not be hogged.

But you are free to your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't know how to put this any more politely than: fcuk off.

Any more of that and you're out of here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

In France I've noticed that some of the cars in the overtaking lane tend to have their indicators on to show that they are in fact overtaking.
    Not while just changing lane, but for the entire manoeuvre whether it's one car or several cars they are passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

recently in a friends car who is generall a good driver. anyways there we were Bitching about fog lights abuse etc.

It was at that moment when I realised we were in the middle lane of the m50 doing 80kmh. cars having to over and undertake and all flashing.

my mate got frustrated. "what's their problem? flashing me the f uckers"

despite telling him the simplest rule of driving "keep left" this continued all the way home. needless to say I was mortified. probably a rant thread out us that nite. :(

I stay left except when approaching certain on ramps to allow cars to merge without having to slow me. I'm no highhorse by the way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

stoneill wrote: »
    In France I've noticed that some of the cars in the overtaking lane tend to have their indicators on to show that they are in fact overtaking.
    Not while just changing lane, but for the entire manoeuvre whether it's one car or several cars they are passing.

yep in italy too, took us a while to cop on why they were leaving on the indicators!

congo_90 wrote: »
    recently in a friends car who is generall a good driver. anyways there we were Bitching about fog lights abuse etc.

It was at that moment when I realised we were in the middle lane of the m50 doing 80kmh. cars having to over and undertake and all flashing.

my mate got frustrated. "what's their problem? flashing me the f uckers"

despite telling him the simplest rule of driving "keep left" this continued all the way home. needless to say I was mortified. probably a rant thread out us that nite. :(

I stay left except when approaching certain on ramps to allow cars to merge without having to slow me. I'm no highhorse by the way
    my mum was the same yesterday :(
    yelled "fcuk off" at a driver, I look up from my phone to say "what's wrong" - "oh he is flashing me"
    then I cop we're in the overtaking lane :rolleyes:
    Gave her a quick lecture and moved left :D

I think the general consensus in this thread is that the outside lane (overtaking/fast lane) on a motorway should not be hogged.

But you are free to your opinion.
    What are you on about? I corrected you on a misnomer. Are you jumping to the conclusion I'm of the opinion the overtaking lane should be hogged ?? :confused:. If so that's one heck of a leap.

stoneill wrote: »
    I tend to do that myself as it reinforces I'm just overtaking and intend to move back in again as soon as I'm past (just like you would do on a single carriageway). I sometimes see others doing same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

the outside lane on a Motorway is the fast lane, which is used for overtaking, and if you are overtaking, then you are driving faster than the car you are passing (who should be on your inside) . . .

So, when you're in slow moving traffic (e.g. rush hour), and the left hand lane is empty with trucks wizzing past you stuck there in either of the overtaking lanes with your hand brake on, are you still in the "fast" lane? After all, they're overtaking you on the left now .....
    corktina wrote: »
    its YARISES and FOCUSES ..oops sorry, thought it was the English Grammar Forum :D

Focii actually. Don't cite the grammar forum with such epic face-palmage :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Lemming wrote: »
    Focii actually. Don't cite the grammar forum with such epic face-palmage :P

see the smilie....:rolleyes:

noun, plural -cus·es, -ci  /-saɪ, -kaɪ/ Show Spelled

both are right

For the two posters who seem to have difficulty in understanding the rule, on motorways the fast lane (or overtaking/outside lane) is not to be hogged, as its primary function is (in normal circumstances) for overtaking and not for cruising.

Rush hour traffic is obviously a totally different situation, stop start, changing lanes, inside lane sometimes making more progress than the overtaking lane or the middle lane, and as for 'misnomers' the outside lane on a motorway is commonly called the fast lane, sometimes called the overtaking lane, and it is the outside lane - FACT.

I'm outa this thread, good luck & safe driving :)

Another thing I notice quite often are the overtaking blockers, you all know the type I'm sure. This is the driver (car #2) in the driving lane who is approaching a slightly slower car in the distance (car#1), looks in the mirror and sees obviously faster traffic (car #3) coming up behind him. So what does he do? Wait to let the faster traffic by? No Sir, car #2 decides to start his overtaking early even though there is no chance of him catching up with car #1 (never mind completing his overtaking) before the faster approaching car #3 is on his tail. The speed difference between car#1 and car#2 is small and it takes an age to get by and yet he persists is staying out while holding up others.

To some extent I can understand his motive if traffic is heavy and it's likely he could be stuck behind the slower car #1 for 5 mins, but I often seen on relatively quiet roads where the only inconvenience would be having to lift off the throttle a little to allow the faster car #3 by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Another thing I notice quite often are the overtaking blockers, you all know the type I'm sure.

Yep I see many drivers playing that game on the M6/M4. Most of these fools tend to move sharpish as they see my front grill hurtling towards them at full pelt (while staying at a Sat-Nav-confirmed 130kph)! :D

Advertisement