Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Right lane ignorance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

All this fuss and bother over "Fast Lane" Vs "Overtaking Lane"......

Going by the rules of the road , there's no such thing as the "Fast Lane" on a motorway.
    There's also no such thing as the "Overtaking Lane"

The lanes have numbers ,or are referred to as "inside" or "outside"

"It is very important that you understand the purpose of each lane on a motorway. To help explain how and when to move from one lane to another, each lane is given a number. The picture below shows that lane 1 is the lane nearest the hard shoulder. This is also known as the inside lane. On a two-lane motorway, the lane nearest the central median is lane 2 (also called the outside lane). On a three-lane motorway, this lane is lane 3"

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

gorillae.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Imagine the sort of carnage that would occur if a large proportion of Irish drivers were to suddenly find themselves on the Autobahn? Where you stay in the driving lane unless overtaking or doing really high speed in which case you will be changing lane about every 30 seconds so you may aswell stay in the overtaking lane only watch your mirror as some guy could come up behind you doing 250km/h even though you yourself are doing 200km/h!.

When i'm on the Motorway I am usually doing anywhere from 130km/h to 150/km/h and Yes I am breaking the speed limit but I believe it is safe to do so with my level of driving skill, car and high quality of road taking account the variables like traffic levels, weather etc.

It is not up to other drivers to police the road, if the Gardai catch me it is between me and them and not for some other numpty to hog the overtaking lane at 100km/h because he or she thinks that it is fine and good to hold back other drivers from speeding.

The overtaking lane is for overtaking and you should merge back to the left hand lane when done, although when driving very fast, you often find yourself in a state of almost continuous overtaking for several kilometres, swerving in and out and breaking and accelerating repeatedly between the lanes becomes a monotonous method as happens when there are many cars infront in the left lane, obviously if the road is quite then you can move left and continue at speed in the left lane.

Basically Irish people haven't a clue and it will take anything upto twenty years and a new generation of drivers before we get used to this new fangled motorway network. Proper driver education starting in school as Mandatory lessons like the US would be a great step because at the moment I would say 90% of Irish drivers haven't a clue.

The fact that 60% of Irish cars are <1.4l junk heap third world spec cars cabable of 0-60 in about three days also holds us back. A Motorway ban of Nissan Micras and Toyota Yaris's and Corollas would make the Motorway a much more enjoyable place for us consumers of decent spec'd cars.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Stinicker wrote: »

The fact that 60% of Irish cars are <1.4l junk heap third world spec cars cabable of 0-60 in about three days also holds us back. A Motorway ban of Nissan Micras and Toyota Yaris's and Corollas would make the Motorway a much more enjoyable place for us consumers of decent spec'd cars.

I'm not quite sure this is necessary. I drive my mother's '98 1.3L Toyota Starlet and it's well capable of travelling motorway speeds, and accelerating up to ~120km/h even on short slip roads (e.g. out of motorway service stations). If 'slower' cars kept in the correct lanes, then they wouldn't be a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm not quite sure this is necessary. I drive my mother's '98 1.3L Toyota Starlet and it's well capable of travelling motorway speeds, and accelerating up to ~120km/h even on short slip roads (e.g. out of motorway service stations). If 'slower' cars kept in the correct lanes, then they wouldn't be a problem.

Well yes as you say those cars despite their misgivings are Motorway speed capable when you really force them they will eventually get there, However how many of these are driven by drivers whose right foot is well acquainted with the accelerator? Very little I'd reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Just undertake the feckers and be done with it.

I usually drive up on the inside lane until right beside and then I match speed with them. It sort of 'invades their space'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

To be fair, you shouldn't be forced into undertaking - it's an illegal, and dangerous, manouver (I'm never sure how to spell that word).

What I usually do is, and I'm not sure if it's correct, is

Approach the person I wish to overtake from behind. Keep a safe distance, but express my wish to overtake by switching on my right indicator.

After allowing the person time to move into the driving lane, if he/she hasn't done so, I might briefly flash the lights. It usually isn't necessary though.

What's worrying is that after I pass them out, sometimes they move right back into the overtaking lane. :pac:

I like the idea of what you're saying and it would work in an ideal world. However,the reality is that if somebody is oblivious to the rules of the road and is camped in the OT lane I don't think a subtle reminder like turning on your indicator is going to work. Granted it will sometimes.

Like the woman on the M7 yesterday morning. I tried the indicator thing, flashed the lights and when I then undertook her I gave a tap on the horn to remind her to move over and she carried on regardless. I kept an eye on her in my mirror and saw an Audi having to do the same as me moments later.

I think the problem is ignorance of the rules. In some cases people in the OT lane are daydreaming and a flash of the lights is all it takes and they often look embarrassed when passing them.

The majority of people, however, just haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

kazul wrote: »
    As usual, the best policy is to assume that everybody else on the road is an idiot/pissed/on the phone/distracted by kids etc. and to drive accordingly/defensively and anticipate hazards.
    I explained the advanced driving technique of "talking the drive" to a novice who just failed her test recently and she thought it was hilarious.
    My wife doesn't drive and can't understand how driving all day can make me tired but constant observation and anticipation, even on motorways, is exhausting.
    And I hate being "forced" to undertake.

I like this, I started motorcycling a couple of years ago and the best assumption I could have made starting out was that almost everyone else on the road is an asshole, won't see me and even if they do they will just swerve towards me or pull out in front of me and assume I will dodge them. Has saved my life on more than one occasion...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drive for a living and do around 2500kms per week. I GAVE UP a long time ago on people. I WILL undertake them if they do not move. I don't give a rats ass anymore. Indicate, flash, flash again, beep horn while flashing then undertake.

To hell with these asshats.

Berty wrote: »
    I drive for a living and do around 2500kms per week. I GAVE UP a long time ago on people. I WILL undertake them if they do not move. I don't give a rats ass anymore. Indicate, flash, flash again, beep horn while flashing then undertake.

To hell with these asshats.

Asshats. I like it. Permission to reuse please. It sounds like a swear that would be very effective to let of steam in the car while shouting at other motorists...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

kazul wrote: »
    I hope you're taking the piss here, did you ever read the rules of the road? This beggars belief, and the smiley at the end just rubs it in.
    I can just imagine "Oh, sorry Garda I didn't realise that I am obliged by law to stay in the left lane unless overtaking"

Of course I read the rules of the road, but it's very difficult to remember every single thing in the book. I admit I was making a mistake. My point is in ALL the lessons I took (with two different instructors), and going for drives with friends/ family (full licence holders) nobody ever corrected my driving. I am a safe, consciencious driver and was mortified that I had been driving for almost a year without abiding by this law.

In short, people can only correct their mistakes if they are told that they are making mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

stick this link into your sig: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html

it might start getting people to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Also, on the rules there, does the section on Overtaking allow this "undertaking", as we commonly call it?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Penalty points for lane hoggers would earn a nice bit of revenue and solve the problem.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stinicker wrote: »

Thats bull. The area my Grandmother lives in Germany ( a few miles from the French border) has for some reason a huge proportion of original Renault twingos. The things are everywhere. For anyone not familiarwith the Twingo its the Clios smaller brother. These people all seem to manage to get around just fine.

Despite what people over here seem to think about this mystical place called "the autobahn" , it's full of people in small cars. I've put a couple of thousand miles on my grandmothers Fiesta on the autobahn. the car spends a good chunk of its life on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ElleEm wrote: »
    Of course I read the rules of the road, but it's very difficult to remember every single thing in the book. I admit I was making a mistake. My point is in ALL the lessons I took (with two different instructors), and going for drives with friends/ family (full licence holders) nobody ever corrected my driving. I am a safe, consciencious driver and was mortified that I had been driving for almost a year without abiding by this law.

In short, people can only correct their mistakes if they are told that they are making mistakes.
    It is shameful that someone can drive around in the overtaking lane for two years before getting pulled up on it. Did nobody ever beep at/flash you on dual carriageways/motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Anan1 wrote: »
    It is shameful that someone can drive around in the overtaking lane for two years before getting pulled up on it. Did nobody ever beep at/flash you on dual carriageways/motorways?
    on the upside, he/she must have amazing fuel economy to be able to stay in the outside lane for two years without running out of fuel! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Despite what people over here seem to think about this mystical place called "the autobahn" , it's full of people in small cars. I've put a couple of thousand miles on my grandmothers Fiesta on the autobahn. the car spends a good chunk of its life on then.

True, my 1.9 Golf Diesel got overtaken may a Smart 'sports car' on day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

True, my 1.9 Golf Diesel got overtaken may a Smart 'sports car' on day.

Did the spoiler on the back help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Anan1 wrote: »

It was about ten months of driving before the Gardai pulled me over and told me. I wouldn't have been driving on motorways (learner permit holder), and never got beeped on dual carriages. In fairness, I wouldn't have been on them that much with the areas I'd be driving. When I was on dual carriages, I would have full licenced passengers, and noone ever corrected me. Even the day the Gardai pulled me over, my boyfriend, who was a passenger, was like "yeah, I thought you would know that".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

It was about ten months of driving before the Gardai pulled me over and told me. I wouldn't have been driving on motorways (learner permit holder), and never got beeped on dual carriages. In fairness, I wouldn't have been on them that much with the areas I'd be driving. When I was on dual carriages, I would have full licenced passengers, and noone ever corrected me. Even the day the Gardai pulled me over, my boyfriend, who was a passenger, was like "yeah, I thought you would know that".

But why would you choose the RH lane to travel in instead of the LH lane?

(You are far from being rare, by the way.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

R.O.R wrote: »
    The overhead signs on the M1 and M50 regulaly reference the Fast Lane.

Really???

I drive both roads quite a lot and have never seen such a sign, unless it is in such small print that it cant be read by anyone who is paying adequate attention to the road ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

innovated wrote: »
    Really???

Yea really

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I always give out to my missus for driving in the right lane. She is beginning to learn. She always gives out to me for "lane hopping" when its simply me moving to the left most lane. Ill break her habit eventually!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's Irish drivers for you. Sure at least you know now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

innovated wrote: »
    Really???

I drive both roads quite a lot and have never seen such a sign, unless it is in such small print that it cant be read by anyone who is paying adequate attention to the road ahead

Have you never noticed the GIANT YELLOW OVERHEAD SIGNS ?

Here's a fine example of a thread from 2007, and there have been a few since then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is your friend driving long?
    I did loads of lessons, am driving almost 2 years now, but was never told about the right lane thing.
    I discovered it fairly quickly after the good oul Garda Siochana pulled me over and told me :)

So you didn't pay much attention to the rules of the road book then eh?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cabaal wrote: »
    So you didn't pay much attention to the rules of the road book then eh?

Give her a break ffs. It's not easy to come on to a thread like this and stand up and say they were wrong and they have learned a lesson.

Whereas I fully agree that outside lane hoggers are real pains, I equally hate the aggressive assholes that tailgate vehicles in front of them in the outside lane when that vehicle is overtaking other vehicles in the inside lane and there is a steady lane of traffic ahead anyway, so if they bullied their way past one car, they aren't going anywhere further. I don't agree with holding someone up in that holier-than-thou 'I'll make sure you stick to the speed limit' way but that kind of dangerously aggressive behaviour is just as irritating as the muppets who hog the outside lane and wrongly hold other motorists up...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The fact that 60% of Irish cars are <1.4l junk heap third world spec cars cabable of 0-60 in about three days also holds us back. A Motorway ban of Nissan Micras
    I don't know how to put this any more politely than: fcuk off.
    I LIKE my micra, it's a kick ass car, I do the speed limit or just above, and I'm extremely careful with all these motorway rules. I'm not upgrading and putting myself into debt when I have a perfectly good, comfy nice car just because a bunch of people are elitist about car names!

As for overtaking lanes, I have to say I've seen a lot more middle lane hoggers. Though sometimes driving along the very quiet motorway at night you're in the far left lane, nobody in the middle lane, and some plank is there in the overtaking lane :rolleyes: You'd just love to yell "who exactly are you overtaking there??"

Advertisement