Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Right lane ignorance

Options
  • 01-02-2011 5:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭

Was getting a lift with an acquaintance today. Its been a while since I was a passenger in anyones car.

I was horrified to see her hogging the right lane all the way down the n7 and then on the motorway with a line of traffic behind. Then I'd hear her complain "gosh, that guy is driving so close to me" or " whats wrong with this idiot undertaking me".

Needless to say I have never experienced so much inner conflict during a car journey before. I did say a few times while glancing in the side mirror, "oh look, seems people want to get past", or "seems the left lane is free". The response i got was "yeah but i'll stick in the fast lane" :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Is your friend driving long?
    I did loads of lessons, am driving almost 2 years now, but was never told about the right lane thing.
    I discovered it fairly quickly after the good oul Garda Siochana pulled me over and told me :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Shoulda said something OP especially as she brought it up herself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I give out to anyone who's doing things wrong be it a man or a women, why did you feel like you couldn't correct her on her bad driving?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    They wont learn unless you say something to them!

I used up any credit for driving critique earlier in the journey when she nearly smashed into the car in front (serious delayed reaction when the car in front starting braking hard). I shouted "brake, brake!" to which I got "oh yeah, relax!". Also this is merely an acquaintance doing me a favor, not a family member or friend who I would have no problem telling. Actually there was so many things wrong, I didn't know where to start and was aghast that there are actually people out there who genuinely dont know this !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

montane wrote: »
    Was getting a lift with an acquaintance today. Its been a while since I was a passenger in anyones car.

I was horrified to see her hogging the right lane all the way down the n7 and then on the motorway with a line of traffic behind. Then I'd hear her complain "gosh, that guy is driving so close to me" or " whats wrong with this idiot undertaking me".

Needless to say I have never experienced so much inner conflict during a car journey before. I did say a few times while glancing in the side mirror, "oh look, seems people want to get past", or "seems the left lane is free". The response i got was "yeah but i'll stick in the fast lane" :(

'fast lane' that's the key to it.

It is not a 'fast lane', it's an overtaking lane

People should figure that out for themselves but it does not help when official sinage reads like 'Fast Lane Ahead', or 'End of Fast Lane'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

People should figure that out for themselves but it does not help when official sinage reads like 'Fast Lane Ahead', or 'End of Fast Lane'

I have to say I have seen slow lane ahead etc but never fast lane. Overtaking lane too but never, ever fast lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

draffodx wrote: »
    why did you feel like you couldn't correct her on her bad driving?

Perhaps he wants a lift home too?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

EPM wrote: »
    I have to say I have seen slow lane ahead etc but never fast lane. Overtaking lane too but never, ever fast lane.

The overhead signs on the M1 and M50 regulaly reference the Fast Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

I still cant, and never will, understand how some people actually notice themselves being undertaken & still see no harm in staying put in the overtaking lane....

And then when you flash them to tell them you want to overtake them they break & slow down, while staying in the overtaking lane, then when you illegally undertake them they start flashing at you like a paedofile in a creche!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

a_v525 wrote: »
    I still cant, and never will, understand how some people actually notice themselves being undertaken & still see no harm in staying put in the overtaking lane....

And then when you flash them to tell them you want to overtake them they break & slow down, while staying in the overtaking lane, then when you illegally undertake them they start flashing at you like a paedofile in a creche!!!

Its lazy driving. They don't want to have to worry about checking their mirrors, indicating, checking their blind spot etc. Pull straight over to the right, drive at the speed you want, put your blinders on and ignore the world around you. Its a pretty common driving style in this country, on single lane roads you see them stick to the back of the car in front of them, no forward observation, eyeballs glued to the reg plate.

As a bike user I see this so often after making my way up queue's of cars travelling at 80-100kph on motorways. And the flashing of the lights after you go by them is a mixture of ignorance and shock that you have intruded upon their world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Its lazy driving. They don't want to have to worry about checking their mirrors, indicating, checking their blind spot etc. Pull straight over to the right, drive at the speed you want, put your blinders on and ignore the world around you. Its a pretty common driving style in this country, on single lane roads you see them stick to the back of the car in front of them, no forward observation, eyeballs glued to the reg plate.

And the flashing of the lights after you go by them is a mixture of ignorance and shock that you have intruded upon their world.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Degree in Psychology perhaps? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I was in the pub the other nite and there was this one that just passed her test telling her mate that she was travelling from Cork to Mallow doing 100 KPH in the fast lane!!!!!.

She was giving out about some woman behind her flashing the lights at her and saying what hurry is she in and me doing the limit!!!.

I was going to throw my pint at her only it is so expensive. The sad thing is this is a lot of people`s opinion on driving....:rolleyes:

R.O.R wrote: »
    The overhead signs on the M1 and M50 regulaly reference the Fast Lane.

Ah...sure I'm from the bog:p

Seriously, that's brutal! Does anybody proof read this crap? There was a bit on ray d'arcy yesterday about that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

ElleEm wrote: »
    Is your friend driving long?
    I did loads of lessons, am driving almost 2 years now, but was never told about the right lane thing.
    I discovered it fairly quickly after the good oul Garda Siochana pulled me over and told me :)

I hope you're taking the piss here, did you ever read the rules of the road? This beggars belief, and the smiley at the end just rubs it in.
    I can just imagine "Oh, sorry Garda I didn't realise that I am obliged by law to stay in the left lane unless overtaking"

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Nameless1

At the end of the day some people are unbelievably thick on the road, especially when it comes to motorway driving but it beggers belief that someone doesnt have the common sense to move into the left lane when they can see other drivers flashing their lights, driving up their ar$e and undertaking. An idiot like this just has to remove their head from their ar$e and use the tiniest bit of common sense :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Done. To. Death.

Can we not have a mega thread merge for this topic or just ban it like fog lights?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Done. To. Death.

Can we not have a mega thread merge for this topic or just ban it like fog lights?

NO

:p

NO

Exercising your Mod bicep already EPM? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

NO

Actually I agree with him:). With all these dash cams now maybe we could start a obnoxious driving thread with all videos of this kinda stuff in it. A lot of the lads here have them..:cool:

As usual, the best policy is to assume that everybody else on the road is an idiot/pissed/on the phone/distracted by kids etc. and to drive accordingly/defensively and anticipate hazards.
    I explained the advanced driving technique of "talking the drive" to a novice who just failed her test recently and she thought it was hilarious.
    My wife doesn't drive and can't understand how driving all day can make me tired but constant observation and anticipation, even on motorways, is exhausting.
    And I hate being "forced" to undertake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

To be fair, you shouldn't be forced into undertaking - it's an illegal, and dangerous, manouver (I'm never sure how to spell that word).

What I usually do is, and I'm not sure if it's correct, is

Approach the person I wish to overtake from behind. Keep a safe distance, but express my wish to overtake by switching on my right indicator.

After allowing the person time to move into the driving lane, if he/she hasn't done so, I might briefly flash the lights. It usually isn't necessary though.

What's worrying is that after I pass them out, sometimes they move right back into the overtaking lane. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I think the problem with this lack of understanding re the overtaking lane is that alot of drivers never encounter them during lessons and testing, unless they live in an urban area.

Once you live outside these main areas the busiest roads you will encounter during your lessons and test are the single carriageway national roads, and no garantee you'll even get on them.

I done my test in Sligo. The test its self and every lesson invloved traveling atleast one section of a local HQDC, so it was drilled into me, keep out of the overtaking lane, unless you are over taking. Keep in the left lane.

Unfortunatly, even if you do live near a DC, theres still no garantee it will be part of the lessons/test, a friend recently done their test in Letterkenny. Was no where near the DC, and dont think they went over 50km. Was shocked to hear what was covered in mine.

To be fair, you shouldn't be forced into overtaking - it's an illegal, and dangerous, manouver (I'm never sure how to spell that word).

Did you mean undertaking there? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes! Sorry - it's been a long day :o

Post edited.

To be fair, you shouldn't be forced into undertaking - it's an illegal, and dangerous, manouver (I'm never sure how to spell that word).

Approach the person I wish to overtake from behind. Keep a safe distance, but express my wish to overtake by switching on my right indicator.

After allowing the person time to move into the driving lane, if he/she hasn't done so, I might briefly flash the lights. It usually isn't necessary though.

What's worrying is that after I pass them out, sometimes they move right back into the overtaking lane. :pac:

Been there, done all that :( Some people are just oblivious to what's going on around them :mad:
    I only undertake on very rare occasions, unlike the tool in the 99 7 series outbound on the N1 in Drumcondra this afternoon who felt the need to use the bus lane to get one place in front :confused:
    There are time when I wish I had James Bond style machine guns instead of a horn.
    Speaking of having a horn, later lads... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Needless to say I have never experienced so much inner conflict during a car journey before.

I reckon you should do your duty as a proud MotorForian, pull the handbrake and grab the wheel, rest assured that your collective fiery death will be celebrated for years as you slide lemming-like towards a cast concrete bridge.

I propose we commission a medal, "The order of Motors"
    For service above and beyond the call of duty.

Ps, aim for someone with their fogs on.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats generallly successful - until you meet the fool who flashes their hazards at you and stay in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Motorway + Ireland = Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

didn't that get done to death as well?

i thought it was settled that 'undertaking' is what funeral directors do, overtaking on the nearside is what people do when someone is hogging the overtaking lane(s) and won't move over?

i actually had some clown who had been refusing to pull over (doing 80-85km/h) from the outside overtaking lane on the M50 this morning (for quite some time) with me flashing him to pull over with nothing in the middle lane for hundreds of yards actually positioned himself straddling the two lanes for about half a km when he thought I might overtake him on the nearside (or undertake, if we're sticking with that now:)).

by the time I eventually got past him (on the nearside), the temptation to just side swipe him and slam him into the crash barrier was *almost* unbearable. :mad:

quite often at certain times of the day you could drive unobstructed for miles on the inside lane of the M50 with 25% of the drivers in the middle lane and the other 75% of them all bunched up on the outside (overtaking:)) lane with them all doing the same approximate speed and they're still oblivious to what they are doing. :confused:

the worst part is, they end up forcing you to do the same thing most of the time as no matter how fast you want to go in the overtaking lanes to get past people there is always someone in front of you pootling along hogging the outside and the minute you pull in to the lane to the left of you when there is a gap, the car behind will inevitably box you in so you can't get out again and you either end up having to sit in the outside lane with them for the duration to "keep your spot" or overtake on the inside and then try and fight your way back out again further up.

the thread should stay open anyway, especially as we already have a suitable meme for the topic. :pac:

fuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

'fast lane' that's the key to it.

It is not a 'fast lane', it's an overtaking lane
    That kills me everytime I hear it.

It's everyone's duty to correct this misconception!

Advertisement