Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"joint" facebook accounts...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kunny

Aishae wrote: »
    purple ribbon - page suggestions - not so bad. but when you see 15 yr old cousins (or even 25 yr old friends whom you cant seem to teach about these things) posting 'when you think of a funny joke in the middle of an exam' i like it.
    or 'guy: i dont like you wearing that dress - girl; ok - guy: wear a very loooong dress' i like it. i dont even get that one....
    you know, really daft sounding ones? that link to some outside fb website sometimes about funny statuses. not the same as those status shuffle things.

a part of me wonders if some people use pics of their kids or them with their partner - and rel. status - some of my friends are forever changing i wonder if theyre trying to draw our attention to it - and some of the people who have joint accounts not for handy reasons, do so to feel validated... if im making sense

I have to say this is hard do decipher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Kunny wrote: »
    I have to say this is hard do decipher!

If you have an issue with a post please report it rather than commenting on thread...especially if you are rather ironically going to fall foul of Muphry's law.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to read the charter

Cheers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

How EXCITING my first ever started thread that went over a page!!! :p

I think my objection to joint fb is the possible hint that you're so co-dependant you'd be thinking your OH is off chatting to people... yeah, just a family account for pic sharing i do get but the ones i mean are used for proper interraction, they even have likes and favourites and stuff... i just find that really strange. And also unlikely that they both like the exact same things...

And I get really paranoid posting ANYTHING on my gfs facebook in case we end up being one of those horrible couples that do the mwah mwah stuff... Shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Oh God no.

To me,something like this screams of

"look at us,look at us,we are madly in love and share everything,arent we cute"

Ehhhhhh,no,you're not because you just made me throw up in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It wouldn't even be half as bad if it was a couple in a very longterm relationship or a married couple, but when people are discarding their own FB accounts to set up joint ones with their "new" boyfriends or girlfriends it's a bit sad. The girl I know set up a new account with a bloke she was only with about 4 months. It's like she is now defined as being a part of a couple.

And I completely agree with the posts about the couples who are too lovey dovey on FB- it's disgusting! I love my boyfriend very much, but I live with him, I tell him this to his face and I tend to be sitting beside him on the couch when he's on FB so I don't need to write it all over his page.

I know a couple who live together (both at home all the time),and are constantly writing on each other's page about how much they love each other. What's worse is they're using the same PC, so she'll write on his page "oh, love you babes, ur the best thing that's ever happened to me xxx" and less than 10 mins later he'll log on, and reply to her with something equally as bleugh. I can imagine them sitting on the sofa and the laptop being passed between them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Kunny

If you have an issue with a post please report it rather than commenting on thread...especially if you are rather ironically going to fall foul of Muphry's law.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to read the charter

Cheers :cool:

Touche Ickle.

I had read the charter - I was however responding to the "if im making sense" at the end of Aishae's piece, which I presumed was a question without the question mark.

Point taken however.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh God no.

To me,something like this screams of

"look at us,look at us,we are madly in love and share everything,arent we cute"

Ehhhhhh,no,you're not because you just made me throw up in my mouth.
    This basically. I'm an old cynic mind.. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Is this new dual answering machine message? cringey!
    "Hi!"
    "Its"
    "John"
    "annnd Mary!"
    "We *giggles* arent home right now!"

fcuk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I only know one girl who does it and I'm pretty sure her boyfriend wouldn't have the first notion of how to access it so I don't worry about him reading any messages or stuff like that. I'm friends with a pair of twins who share one for similar reasons.

It used to be big on Myspace back in the day :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

it wasnt that hard to decipher - that some people feel that a relationship validates them as a person. the first paragraph makes sense if you use facebook cos it includes the kind of rubbish you see on your news feed.. anyhow....

i know someone who maintains her husbands fb account - the hubby never uses it - i asked if he played games r that he said he never used it. sometimes ive seen her talking to herself via the accounts. pretending shes hubby. where she and he joke on a mutual friends status for example. thats wore than joint accounts.

thinking about it - most of the people constantly updating their relationship status are teens but i know a fair few of them in their 20's who do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I see two kinds of joint facebooking - the older couple and the younger couple.

Older couples tend to be the ones who set up an account because everyone in the family had one and they felt left out. My aunt and uncle did this and when I asked why they didn't create an account each the reply was they aren't computer savy and they've saved the log in details so they just go straight to the uncles page and it's too confusing to log in and out of different accounts and my aunts score on *insert random facebook game* was really high and she didn't want to start over :rolleyes:

Then you've the younger couples that are doing the joint face book thing just to make people aware that they are a couple and OMG how cute are they!!! *we need a vomiting smilie!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

What happens when they start fighting?

This is so strange!! I have seen it but only from a couple who went travelling and people kept asking her how he was so she added his name to her account that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I guess as other people have said, it depends on your usage of Facebook.

Personally, I pretty much live there :pac:, my husband has an account, but never bothers using it, so he has actually got me to friend a couple of his friends that he wouldn't see too often so that I can update him on things in their lives. Wouldn't be letting him actually use my account though :eek:

That thought of naming the account Mr and Mrs Whatever is sickening. If you just want a family account to share family pics and arrange outings, then call it Family Whatever or something, or else just have one person have the account. Melding into one person on facebook is a bit sickening, although I wouldn't be blocking them unless they posted ridiculous lovey dovey cr@p. If you want to be like that with each other then at least have your own accounts and do it on each others walls! I'll still block that, but I might not have had an aneurism first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

krudler wrote: »
    Is this new dual answering machine message? cringey!
    "Hi!"
    "Its"
    "John"
    "annnd Mary!"
    "We *giggles* arent home right now!"

fcuk off.

"We aren't... available *giggle* to take your call right now so please leave a message after the beep and we'll get back to you in 5 minutes. Tops."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think it's an American thing. The three couples who do it on my facebook friends are American.

It's strange IMO.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

A girl I was in school with (and haven't seen since) has a joint account with her husband (who I have never met). I wouldn't have even known it was her except that she has an unusual first name, as she has taken her husband's surname. I'd feel a bit weird posting on her wall actually, I'm not sure I've actually posted anything on her page since I accepted the friend request now that I think about it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have friends who live together and tweet each other. It's really annoying seeing them converse when they're probably sitting in the same room...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

ztoical wrote: »
    Then you've the younger couples that are doing the joint face book thing just to make people aware that they are a couple and OMG how cute are they!!!
    As unbelievable as it sounds, there are probably plenty of younger/middle-aged couples were one partner is interested in Facebook, while the other has no interest in signing up. But because of practical reasons - picture sharing or event invites - there is a some kind of shared account. The difference is the explicit joint account (Mr and Mrs) versus a single account where the partner reads the feed too. Hard to see the real difference imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

And another thing: fraping

Every day, at least 20(+) times a day (seriously) someone on my friends list is forever fraping someone on their friends list with thing likes "public hairs so long she can plait them", "XXX has hairy legs", "OMG XXX has BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG hairy toes :eek::eek::eek:" and the worst of all "KK luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv uuuuuuuuu huuuuuuuuuuuuun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" (and yes with 82895624895643986548658439653865349 kisses!)

I've just had t block 3-4 for this! Logged into FB tonight and my feed was full of statuses/comments like those ffs!

Grrrr!:mad: *cranky*

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Facebook is just a social tool. Who really cares how people choose to use it? I have my own FB page (reluctantly) and my husband has his, but we are people who spend a lot of time online and we each have lots of our own FB friends, especially when it comes to people from our pasts.

I have quite a few friends who don't bother with FB and I could imagine that if at a future point they had children they might end up setting up a "family page" to share pictures, etc. Largely because I know they would be the type of people who would have no interest in adding some girl one of them worked with 15 years ago, etc. They would only be adding a select group of mainly the same people.

I don't have a problem with sharing account. I do however hate constant updates about nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sam34 wrote: »
    not that i needed it, but here's another reason for me to avoid facebook like the plague

Would you not be bound by some sort of oath to tend a plague-sufferer? :D

Facebook is thus worse.

Advertisement