Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"joint" facebook accounts...

Options
  • 01-02-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

I have noticed a worrying trend... joint facebook accounts.

As in a profile for "johnandjane" smith. The 2 first names are always run together since thats how fb rolls with profiles.

the question I want to ask is this- do any of you in a relationship have a joint profile with your significant other?

If you do, why? Did you stop being separate entities upon getting together/marrying? I have to say if my girlfriend even remotely suggested such a thing there'd be (verbal) slaps.

If you don't- would you? I can't ever imagine it, tbh... I like being me and having my own friends. Obviously my OH sees everything on my profile including friends etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I don't have one and I will never have one. I think it's silly I mean what's wrong with having your own personal page :rolleyes:

Two of my friends used to do this on bebo they ended up fighting and started writing horrible stuff about eachother!

It only ends in tears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

No I don't and no I wouldn't...we have our own surnames and bank accounts, it would be a bit odd to make the exception with a social networking site. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Yuck sounds horrible. Would hate to be friends with a couple who did that kind of thing.
    In my opinion the only use that it would be acceptable for is if you wanted to compile wedding photos and needed a page that your friends could upload the pictures to but there are a lot better sites than facebook for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

God that's weird, I have yet to come across it thankfully. I'd see that as sharing one mobile phone...
    Defo won't be doing that.

Kids these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Yeah, we do this. I hate Facebook, closed my profile ages ago as I was getting hassled by people I don't care about. But all our family are on there and we were getting left out of gossip and events, so we opened up a high privacy joint one to share photos of us & our kid with the grandparents and to organise family stuff. Nothing weird about it, as long as your Facebook isn't a major feature of your life (it's not for me, I'm a twitter & boards girl and am on those without my other half).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Two people on my friend's list have this, it's so annoying- I've actually never met one of the girl's boyfriends, and I only met the girlfriend of the other culprit once. I'd never be writing them private emails to their FB account anyway. It's ridiculous, regardless of how close a couple are, they're still different people with different friends, likes and dislikes. Having one FB account between them does not save time, money, energy etc. I just can't see the appeal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

When I have a boyfriend, I never proclaim/advertise my "in a relationship" status, or with whom I am having one, on any sort of online platform. When single, I don't have my "status" up either. Something about it galls me. It even annoyed one ex, actually, but I'm a reserved person. The people I value in my life will know such things.

Given the above, the concept of a joint account actually disturbs me. I'm a fully formed, functional human being regardless of whether I'm single or with someone. Defining myself through someone else........this is all setting off my righteous streak. This said, I'd probably be an extremist in my opinions on this matter, as terms such as OH (other half) offend my feminist principles. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Bloody hell, that sounds a bit extreme. I'd HATE to share a FB account with my boyfriend. As many people have already stated here, we have our seperate lives and seperate friends so it'd just be hassle more than anything.

I've never seen couples do this before but I have seen twins and sometimes friends sharing accounts. It always annoyed me cause you never knew who would read a comment or wall post and you'd have to make it really clear who you were directing it to - and if they left comments you'd never know which one of them it was. Seriously not worth it imo, unless perhaps in cases such as Cat Meleodeon's which I have to say is something I hadn't thought of before.

Considering I'm only 21 though, none of my friends really have families to be distributing photos of :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've a friend who has one. I think it's really sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I'm single but even if I did have a boyfriend I wouldn't have a shared/joint Facebook a/c with him, wouldn't see the point.

On the subject of Facebook, why do some people think it's cool to have status such as "luv u baby xx", "ur my whole world, luv uuuuuuuuuuu xxxxxxxxxxxxx", "missin u XXXX cant wait 2 c u agen xxxxxxxxxx mwahhhhhh" etc?

Maybe it's just me it irritates lol.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I would never have a joint account, it all a bit weird. I like to have my own privacy. Ive had a joint email account but it was more for convenience sake and I took over it after we broke up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

On the subject of Facebook, why do some people think it's cool to have status such as "luv u baby xx", "ur my whole world, luv uuuuuuuuuuu xxxxxxxxxxxxx", "missin u XXXX cant wait 2 c u agen xxxxxxxxxx mwahhhhhh" etc?

Maybe it's just me it irritates lol.:o

That crap does my absolute fúcking head in! Especially by people who have been going out for like, 2 mins :P

It's just attention seeking isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Joint accounts??

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would never have a joint account, it all a bit weird. I like to have my own privacy. Ive had a joint email account but it was more for convenience sake and I took over it after we broke up
    Ditto with one ex. But facebook is bad enough without being mr and mrs Facebook. *shudder*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Wonder who gets to keep custody of it when they break-up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kunny

Really depends on what you are using facebook for. I only use it as a basic as does my wife (but she uses my account) its only for family sharing pics etc so whats the point in having two accounts?

Konata wrote: »
    That crap does my absolute fúcking head in! Especially by people who have been going out for like, 2 mins :P

It's just attention seeking isn't it?
    Totally agree.

I know someone who had a shared FB a/c with her boyfriend (he was very controlling and it took her 2-3 years to realise) and every so often (20 times a day maybe?:pac:) their/her status would say "luv de sexi (his name) xxxxxxxx" and he'd write back the same about her, drove me demented until I finally found out how to block them from showing up in my feed.

Now that they've split up it's all "I'm sooooooo happy 2 b single" "wot woz i missin" etc, all a load of shít imo.

I can't chat to her anymore cos all I hear it him this, him that, him the fúcking other!:rolleyes:
    emo!! wrote: »
    Wonder who gets to keep custody of it when they break-up?!
    In the case of the person on my FB, she took it over.

Sorry for the rant! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Totally agree.

I know someone who had a shared FB a/c with her boyfriend (he was very controlling and it took her 2-3 years to realise) and every so often (20 times a day maybe?:pac:) their/her status would say "luv de sexi (his name) xxxxxxxx" and he'd write back the same about her, drove me demented until I finally found out how to block them from showing up in my feed.

Now that they've split up it's all "I'm sooooooo happy 2 b single" "wot woz i missin" etc, all a load of shít imo.

I can't chat to her anymore cos all I hear it him this, him that, him the fúcking other!:rolleyes:

In the case of the person on my FB, she took it over.

Sorry for the rant! :o
    see that would do my head in !!

although I have plenty of people on facebook that are wreckingmy head over writing up pointless crap like " yum toast xx" **** off like, not as if its the first time you ever ate it... just stfu

I think if anyone on my facebook changed there page to a MR and MRS type thing, i would block em straight away , could be dealy with them kinda updates at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know of two sisters (in their late 20s/early 30s) who share one. :)

I understand where you're coming from all right Kunny - if Facebook is purely for the purposes of making pics of your kids available for friends and family who'd like to see them, then if both parents want to be on Facebook, it seems pointless all right for there to be two accounts.

However two people merely telling the world they're part of one entity - seems a bit needy all right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ditto with one ex. But facebook is bad enough without being mr and mrs Facebook. *shudder*

/requests Wibbly as friend :D

With regards the topic, meh, it doesn't really bother me one way or another. Some people set up a page as a means of "centralised information" for friends and family, if their OH is named on it then so be it.

What does irritate the bosoms off me are couples who proclaim their happiness/anger through their FB status. Although I have to say the bitter wagon in me does love the dramatic statements, "the wat woz I thinkin, i'm soooo better off single/me and the lads went out last night and drank 47 pints of porter,awesome night"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I hate this crap so much. And joint email accounts annoy the life out of me too, it's not like they're that difficult to set up, why share one?!! If I had a joint facebook or email I would feel like I wasn't capable of having one on my own, it's so weird.

And as for people writing back to each other on facebook with lovey dovey crap all day long, that does my head in, and half the time they're in the same house and stuff!

But then that's not confined to facebook, people do that on here and it makes me want to pull my face off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

i lioke to know who im talking to and who might happen upon my drunken silly pics (rare im afraid but lets say theres a family account my 7 yr old cousin uses... and yes i think a 7yr old shouldnt be on it!) - i understand it in some cases - the centralized info pages. but lets say 2 people using 1 account - posting statuses, leaving messages etc - agh no....

i despair of those 'luv u babe' 'kisses and tiddlywinkles sweetie' monster threads you get. its like everyone is getting their nose rubbed in their love slush.
    but the only thing on that will drive me demented on FB - apart from the gobsheens that keep falling for the obvious scams - are people who keep liking pages cos they think the title is funny. when all this does is spread spammy links etc.

dual facebook entities... its like... 'hi, youve reached Jack and Jill and little Tommy's answering machine, please leave a CLEAN message after the beep' kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

My family still has a joint email account, back from like '97. These days it's my mum's main account and although the rest of us still have access we don't really check it... if Aunt so-and-so emails she tells us about it :P

I've never seen a joint facebook account but I think if you don't use it much and you just post pictures of the family etc then it's fine.

Facebook complicates relationships enough already though, since the relationship status is so public and defined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

not that i needed it, but here's another reason for me to avoid facebook like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

No no NO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

WHY??? Just WHY???

This is a whole new Facebook low:rolleyes:

Aishae wrote: »
    but the only thing on that will drive me demented on FB - apart from the gobsheens that keep falling for the obvious scams - are people who keep liking pages cos they think the title is funny. when all this does is spread spammy links etc.
    That's another thing that pisses me off. I don't know how many time I've had page suggestions, none of which I have accepted/liked the suggested pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

The mammy and her fella have a joint email, which I can understand because theyre both shockin at computers and only about 3 people have the address (family for pics / updates abroad etc).

But facebook? Nooooooo. If the boy suggested it I would not be a happy camper. I share a lot, I do not share my whole life, virtual or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ya i def wouldn't be going down that road. i like to be my own individual person. i'm glued to my OH in many ways in my life, he doesn't need to be anymore way connected to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

purple ribbon - page suggestions - not so bad. but when you see 15 yr old cousins (or even 25 yr old friends whom you cant seem to teach about these things) posting 'when you think of a funny joke in the middle of an exam' i like it.
    or 'guy: i dont like you wearing that dress - girl; ok - guy: wear a very loooong dress' i like it. i dont even get that one....
    you know, really daft sounding ones? that link to some outside fb website sometimes about funny statuses. not the same as those status shuffle things.

a part of me wonders if some people use pics of their kids or them with their partner - and rel. status - some of my friends are forever changing i wonder if theyre trying to draw our attention to it - and some of the people who have joint accounts not for handy reasons, do so to feel validated... if im making sense

Advertisement