Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw: 21-02-2011 (the one the promo was for) *spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It is a very obvious double entendre.

But again, I don't think it was an intentional one. If The Rock played a giant cigarette in a film I doubt Cena would have called him a big (you know what). Calling The Rock a fairy as a double entendre for being gay is so far removed from Cena and however PG WWE seems to be lately. Using innuendos to say he's gay is one thing. Actually using the term "fairy" which is an offensive term for a gay person is a different matter entirely, and I think people are reading too much into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Barrington wrote: »
    But again, I don't think it was an intentional one. If The Rock played a giant cigarette in a film I doubt Cena would have called him a big (you know what). Calling The Rock a fairy as a double entendre for being gay is so far removed from Cena and however PG WWE seems to be lately. Using innuendos to say he's gay is one thing. Actually using the term "fairy" which is an offensive term for a gay person is a different matter entirely, and I think people are reading too much into it

And saying that The Rock can blow him and that he will be polishing his balls are normal things for him to say as well? They used lines that could be defended in a PG environment but that older fans would see the double meanings. The same way he mentioned bowling alleys and the little fan thing.

Laughing at him being a fairy would also include the many other non-homophobic connotations. If they really wanted to avoid people reading it the way I am, they would have specifically said Tooth Fairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

People are getting way to sensitive if you can't use the word fairy to describe someone who played a fairy. :rolleyes:

I don't think that was intended in the same way as the double entendres were. I think it was more a case of 'you left the WWE and the fans you claim to love for 7 years to be a tooth fairy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cena knew he had to step up after Rock's promo last week and the Doctor of Thuganomics delivered whereas Miz sounded like an idiot in his promo imo

People are getting way to sensitive if you can't use the word fairy to describe someone who played a fairy. :rolleyes:

I don't think that was intended in the same way as the double entendres were. I think it was more a case of 'you left the WWE and the fans you claim to love for 7 years to be a tooth fairy'.

Yeah, I mean who would construe it what way when within moments he would talk about him polishing his balls and blowing him?

Even if it was unintentional, they should have copped it. Particularly since Cena is seen as a role model and has already acted like a d!ck towards Vickie for being fat, ugly etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just saw the Raw rating was a 3.9. :eek:

Biggest rating I can recall it being in recent times. I was expecting a 3.6 which I thought would be decent. I'm guessing that was largely due to The Rock hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm guessing that was largely due to The Rock hype.

I'd say wwe won't be rushing to announce when Rock is appearing again cause they want to keep getting these numbers.I hope he's doing more appearances than they offered Lesnar to do (3).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Biggest rating I can recall it being in recent times. I was expecting a 3.6 which I thought would be decent. I'm guessing that was largely due to The Rock hype.

And having HHH/Taker in the fifth segment and not the overrun.

I wonder what ranting Cena/Nexus vs Corre did as it was pretty weak as a main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The 2/21/11 and Rock return pretty much guaranteed a huge rating. It'll be interesting to see how much of it they can maintain without The Rock every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Just saw Raw this week, good man Cena, was delighted with him. No sign of Dwayne to defend himself, and he never leaving the people again apparantly. Thrilled.

• Advertisement

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Just saw Raw this week, good man Cena, was delighted with him. No sign of Dwayne to defend himself, and he never leaving the people again apparantly. Thrilled.

Did you genuinely believe The Rock is going to stay,he makes way more money making terrible films that he ever did wrestling. They have given him the deal they offered Lesnar.Turn up 3/4 times push up the Buy rate for mania,take money & leave.I thought everyone knew that.We should enjoy it because after Mania its back to Cena,Cena,Cena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

GTR63 wrote: »
    Did you genuinely believe The Rock is going to stay,he makes way more money making terrible films that he ever did wrestling. They have given him the deal they offered Lesnar.Turn up 3/4 times push up the Buy rate for mania,take money & leave.I thought everyone knew that.We should enjoy it because after Mania its back to Cena,Cena,Cena.

Dwayne is a dirty liar.

Just the way it should be, wrestlers westling and actors acting. I never believed he'd stay no, but shur Dwayne said that, not The Rock, I didnt think Dwayne would lie to the people he loves so much. All those people in the crowd with Rock signs waiting to see him. And he skiting away in Hollywood with his cushy number

Just the way it should be, wrestlers westling and actors acting.

Now its time for The Rock & every other wrestler who ever tried to act to learn how to act & Cena to finally learn how to Wrestle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Lets face it, there's 6 weeks til Mania. We may see The Rock 2 or 3 times between now and then. and probably a lot of pre-recorded promos.

But if there's some kinds shock where he screws Cena out of the title, then we will prob be seeing more of him once Wrestlemania is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Just the way it should be, wrestlers westling and actors acting. I never believed he'd stay no, but shur Dwayne said that, not The Rock, I didnt think Dwayne would lie to the people he loves so much. All those people in the crowd with Rock signs waiting to see him. And he skiting away in Hollywood with his cushy number

Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Ridley wrote: »
    Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

I'm his father, leave him alone bai.

Now its time for The Rock & every other wrestler who ever tried to act to learn how to act & Cena to finally learn how to Wrestle.

Ah lad. Just no.

Ridley wrote: »

Dont I knows it Obi bai

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I could see a taped promo from Rock next week with a comeback then followed the following week another promo from Cena. Then maybe a Satellite connection with the Rock

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Dwayne is a dirty liar.

To be fair, he didn't say "I'm going to be on Raw every week for the next 10 years". Never going away can be construed many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

WWE are advertising Triple H v Undertaker for Mania....

So now Triple H and Undertaker have agreed to a match purely after a stare down for about 90 seconds and the match was announced on the website...

There are so many better ways WWE could have promoted this match or built up to the match being 'announced' or 'agreed' as opposed to having literally minimal build up....

So now Triple H and Undertaker have agreed to a match purely after a stare down for about 90 seconds and the match was announced on the website...

There are so many better ways WWE could have promoted this match or built up to the match being 'announced' or 'agreed' as opposed to having literally minimal build up....

What did you think was gpoing to happen? Would you have preferred they delayed the website anouncement a few eeeks, even though the whole face off and staring at the Mania sign was a bit of a giveaway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

flahavaj wrote: »
    What did you think was gpoing to happen? Would you have preferred they delayed the website anouncement a few eeeks, even though the whole face off and staring at the Mania sign was a bit of a giveaway?

How about do something more on Raw than just stare at a sign?

I didn't know staring at a sign constituted match making...

Week 1 of a 6 week build FFS. Its hardly the eve of Wrestlemania. It was a great opening segment I thought, with two such well established stars, you really don't need any words, it left you wanting more and was much more unique and innovative than the usual Hunter 15 minute promo bore-fest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i agree that the HHH/Taker segment didnt need any speaking. The look at the WM sign explained it all and i presume this week we will find out why HHH is going after Taker.

Also the other good thing about HHH going up against Taker is that if Taker is not 100% which he wont , HHH will be able to carry him which if he had went with Barrett he wouldnt have been able to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

This again

May I suggest:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192797
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

The Triple H and King Booker match at Summerslam (2007) started with Booker watching a HHH promo video before turning and discussing something else.

Think flahavaj's right. It was week one. Disagree that it was a great segment but as a subtle means of storytelling the lack of dialogue should be embraced otherwise you get WWE treating you like an idiot more often.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Definitely. The unspoken dialogue was very powerful. This was very different than what they usually do, which is great, said (or rather didn't say) what needed to be said, which could only be done with two returning wrestlers. They have ~5 weeks to cut promos/explain and attack each other/whatever/back to normal build.

This is just the beginning of the feud; this isn't impact where the match is announced, back and forth promos, sneak attacks and payoffs in the one night/week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I think the unspoken promo was great
    I wonder or there is any chance of them weaving a link between the original nexus and HHH ie. sending them to get The Undertaker, it might give a bit more fire in the feud build up.

Advertisement