Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Magill wrote: »
    Can they still advertise and sell it on steam ? Like how they do with AoE ?

Be a shame if it flopped on PC.. which it probably will unless its on steam imo.

Meh, at least all those who signed the petition to get it on PC can be ignored the next time such an issue arises if it does turn out to be a PC flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I'd probably buy it if it was on steam, would defo buy when it ends up on sale. And i've already got it for PS3. Not a chance im gonna buy for WL.

I'd probably buy it if it was on steam, would defo buy when it ends up on sale. And i've already got it for PS3. Not a chance im gonna buy for WL.

Ah, I platinumed it so I would have no plans to drop 40e on it again for (what looks like) fairly insignificant new content.

Not that my PC could handle it anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'll probably wait until it's under ten euro on amazon before I buy it, will probably just download it before that
    sick of being gouged for substandard console ports

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

i'll probably wait until it's under ten euro on amazon before I buy it, will probably just download it before that
    Pity it's not on Steam, you could have waited a couple of months for it to be 75% off there. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just because it's on GFW? Otherwise the evidence suggests that it's actually an enhanced port.

PC gamers are getting the game finally. Sure it's not perfect but you're still getting the best game of last year, Steam achievements or not. There's no winning for Namco Bandai, by the sounds of it.

Just because it's on GFW?

PC gamers are getting the game finally. Sure it's not perfect but you're still getting the best game of last year, Steam achievements or not. There's no winning for Namco Bandai, by the sounds of it.
    Of course not. What those folk basically want is them to support a third online system for the PC port. Yet when it's eventually released I'd wager they'd complain if it was anything close to full price because it's a 10+ month old game.

Just because it's on GFW? Otherwise the evidence suggests that it's actually an enhanced port.

Have to agree.

I know lots of console gamers wait until prices fall as well but if an unusually large number of PC gamers were waiting until it sold for 75% on steam then you'd wonder if it has been worth Namco's time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If a good game gets released, that i'm looking forward to, i've no problem whatsoever paying full price for it on a pc. Dark Souls is a fantastic game, with a huge amount of replay value. So i'll happily spend €40-€50 on it. Games that i'm not that bothered/excited with will be bought in Steam sales.

I will say that i won't buy shoddy ports, ever. Not saying that this will be a bad port, as i expect it to be excellent on the pc, but in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

noodler wrote: »
    Have to agree.

I know lots of console gamers wait until prices fall as well but if an unusually large number of PC gamers were waiting until it sold for 75% on steam then you'd wonder if it has been worth Namco's time.

It's just bizarre. So much demand for a PC port - which, by the sounds of it, is having a considerable amount of time and effort poured into it, including the only thing that really matters (new content) - and now many of the people who demanded it are now apathetic because the developers had the gall to charge full price (which will still be 10-20 euro than any of us paid for the 360/PS3 versions) for a AAA quality 50-100 hour game on release.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I wonder are the Witcher 2 developers getting hammered by Xbox users for charging full price for a game thats been out on PC for around a year. I somehow don't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

"We want Dark Souls on PC"
    "OK, it will be released on PC"
    "SIGN HERE IF YOU HATE IT!"

:confused:

I don't like GFW either, but that just makes the PC gamer community sound like a bunch of spoiled kids.

Disclaimer: I'm a PC gamer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not really a PC gamer but I played Arkham Asylum with GFWL on my laptop a few years ago and it was fine. It surely can't be bad enough to put you off a game like Dark Souls.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

tbh The GFWL aspect is crap but I am just happy its coming to pc i will probably sell on my Xbox copy and get it for pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The sense of entitlement from some PC gamers is just embarassing.

Are people actually complaining about the price ? If i didn't already own the game i'd buy it no matter what online store. Just seems a bit silly not to have it on steam, especially something that a lot of PC gamers haven't even heard of. Just having it on the front page of steam and in steam sales would do it a lot of good i'd imagine.

Also its not really entitlement asking for it to be on steam is it ? I mean.. we are the consumers, they should be meeting our needs and wants.

Are people actually complaining about the price ? If i didn't already own the game i'd buy it no matter what online store. Just seems a bit silly not to have it on steam, especially something that a lot of PC gamers haven't even heard of. Just having it on the front page of steam and in steam sales would do it a lot of good i'd imagine.
    I've not seen anyone complain about the price here, mainly because it hasn't been set yet.

As for the availability on Steam, just because it uses GFWL for its online system doesn't mean they can't sell it there too.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I imagine it will available on Steam. Other GFWL titles are available on Steam.

gizmo wrote: »
    I've not seen anyone complain about the price here, mainly because it hasn't been set yet.

As for the availability on Steam, just because it uses GFWL for its online system doesn't mean they can't sell it there too.

yeah i asked if it would be in previous page. Hopefully they can.

Price wise, i'd happily pay full price IF i hadn't already bought the game. I'll probably buy it again however, if its on sale.

It'll be interesting to see how they change the multiplayer aspects. Would be brilliant if you could invite friends to play through in co-op, rather then just randomers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely the whole point of it was that it was randomers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kiith wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how they change the multiplayer aspects. Would be brilliant if you could invite friends to play through in co-op, rather then just randomers.
    I thought the point was that you have no friends in Dark Souls, and everything wants you dead?

Anonymous, random online is the USP of The Souls series, and would be a shame to see it changed. It is a series of you versus the world: the only assistance is the temporal form of a visiting ally knight or ghostly message, always countered by bloodthirsty sorcerer seeking your spoils. It is a system that is cruel, unusual but also compelling, thoughtful, useful and game-defining.

No doubt the discussion was had when they looked at friend lists. But they stayed with the anonymous route, and the game experience was stronger as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just wish that games for windows would be taken behind the barn and shoot in a face, then not even burried. It does not deserve it.
    I am still so decking surprised why developers use it, when there are sooo much better services out there. Gotham city importers is other great example. Great game, but it suffers so much for being on that shiet stain called ges for windows.

surely the whole point of it was that it was randomers
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I thought the point was that you have no friends in Dark Souls, and everything wants you dead?
    Kiith wrote: »

A dedicated PVP arena where you could invite friends would be fine by me, as long as the main game's current practice of not being able to control the invasions etc is maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

I am having a horrible time fighting the gaping dragon. I summon Solaire in to give me a hand but every time he lasts less than a minute. My main weapon up to this point has been a handaxe which has been upgraded but I am finding it difficult to actually hit the dragon at all. I have tried using some other swords but they are just to weak. I am trying to use the gold pine resin which helps enough but in my last two attempts I have been one shotted by its tail attack.

CrazyFish wrote: »
    I am having a horrible time fighting the gaping dragon. I summon Solaire in to give me a hand but every time he lasts less than a minute. My main weapon up to this point has been a handaxe which has been upgraded but I am finding it difficult to actually hit the dragon at all. I have tried using some other swords but they are just to weak. I am trying to use the gold pine resin which helps enough but in my last two attempts I have been one shotted by its tail attack.

You have to run to stay ahead of him. Eventually he will stop and do his tail/body shake attack and whilst he is doing this you have to circle back and get to his side (his left hand side if you know what I mean).

Then as soon as he is finished shaking etc...run in and do no more than 2/3 attacks (maybe more with handaxe?) and then run away and start the process again. It is vital you take no more than 2 or 3 shots because if he starts moving or shaking then you can die in one.

Never go near his front or back.

If you have any arrows or black firebombs you might want to consider using them as well.

2H your weapon as well. Shielding doesn't help much against him iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

The sense of entitlement from some PC gamers is just embarassing.

God forbid PC gamers actually expect a quality, stable online service released alongside a good PC port instead of just rolling over and accepting whatever's offered. It was good they actually listened to the petition and went ahead with the port but there's no really any excuse for cutting corners with an online service as universally panned as GFWL.

1334499493810.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

CrazyFish wrote: »

The first thing you should do is get right behind the Dragon while he's busy with Solaire. Switch to two handed with the axe and hack away at the middle of the tail like crazy. You'll eventually hack off his tail and receive the Dragon King Greataxe for your reward (although it requiresabout 50 strength to use it).

Keep running to avoid his pounce attacks , get in behind him as much as possibe and two hand him with the axe. If he is about to swipe you with his claws get that shield up, or if you're fast enough, try roll out of the way before he swipes you. You'll eventually find victory:)

I had an epic battle against him. I was out of humanity, estus flasks and Gold pine resin towards the end of the battle. I also got the "Weapon at risk" message when I got him down to a tenth of his energy. I managed to switch to my secondary halberd weapon and get a good whack on him before he had a chance to finish me:)

Advertisement