Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brandnewpants

I bought this the day it came out there a few weeks back. I don't really keep abreast of whats going on. I keep an eye out for this and that, but generally just make choices based the odd review on IGN or Gamespot.

Recently I found myself with no games to play after ploughing through a number since xmas. Fallout 3, Dragon age II, Mass Effect 1 & 2, New Vegas etc. Decided to poke the aul head into IGN on the Thursday night and watched the review. Liked what I heard and made the point of picking it up on my lunchbreak.

Jaysus if this is not the best game I've gotten into in years and years and years! I've always felt that modern video games are far to easy. They look nice, sometimes tell a great story and draw you in for hours on end but they lack any real challenge. I remember as a kid in front of the old Spectrum, Amiga and C64 playing for hours and hours remembering patterns and learning from trial and error how to push further on in old games like Last Ninja, Tusker, Cadaver, Rick Dangerous, Gods etc. Dark Souls somehow manages to evoke that old feeling again in a modern day game.

I don't think I've ever gotten such a rush from a game either. Like fighting the Capra Demon. My heart was literally jumping of my chest after I got him down to two hacks away from death, only to have him knock me down with his jump smash attack when I got overzealous with the slashing. I had to leave the room and go and get a drink and calm down. Have not got that angry at a game since god knows how long. I'm a little shocked at how much the game has managed draw me in unwittingly to such a degree.

I'm only getting a few days a week to get to the xBox cos work has me tied up most of the week. But I find myself thinking about what I should do/try the next time I get on to it. I still have to defeat the Gaping Dragon, Moonlight Butterfly and get past that gauntlet of ghosts in the New Londo Ruins so I don't think I'm that far.

Seriously great experience all-round. Loving the whole thing from the gameplay , graphics, atmosphere. Its amazing that something that can evoke nostalgic feelings by causing you react to it in a certain way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I bought this the day it came out there a few weeks back. I don't really keep abreast of whats going on. I keep an eye out for this and that, but generally just make choices based the odd review on IGN or Gamespot.

Recently I found myself with no games to play after ploughing through a number since xmas. Fallout 3, Dragon age II, Mass Effect 1 & 2, New Vegas etc. Decided to poke the aul head into IGN on the Thursday night and watched the review. Liked what I heard and made the point of picking it up on my lunchbreak.

Jaysus if this is not the best game I've gotten into in years and years and years! I've always felt that modern video games are far to easy. They look nice, sometimes tell a great story and draw you in for hours on end but they lack any real challenge. I remember as a kid in front of the old Spectrum, Amiga and C64 playing for hours and hours remembering patterns and learning from trial and error how to push further on in old games like Last Ninja, Tusker, Cadaver, Rick Dangerous, Gods etc. Dark Souls somehow manages to evoke that old feeling again in a modern day game.

I don't think I've ever gotten such a rush from a game either. Like fighting the Capra Demon. My heart was literally jumping of my chest after I got him down to two hacks away from death, only to have him knock me down with his jump smash attack when I got overzealous with the slashing. I had to leave the room and go and get a drink and calm down. Have not got that angry at a game since god knows how long. I'm a little shocked at how much the game has managed draw me in unwittingly to such a degree.

I'm only getting a few days a week to get to the xBox cos work has me tied up most of the week. But I find myself thinking about what I should do/try the next time I get on to it. I still have to defeat the Gaping Dragon, Moonlight Butterfly and get past that gauntlet of ghosts in the New Londo Ruins so I don't think I'm that far.

Seriously great experience all-round. Loving the whole thing from the gameplay , graphics, atmosphere. Its amazing that something that can evoke nostalgic feelings by causing you react to it in a certain way.

off topic: I love posts like these, about any game/movie etc, I felt the same way but it was a mix of nostalgia and excitment that maybe I had found my next eternal darkness :D

on topic: The Capra demon caused me my very first dark souls rage episode. After dying instantly over the dogs in very unluckky ways a stupid amount of times I finally cracked. I respawned, wrote I cant take this on the ground, killed every NPC at fire link shrine and jumped of the cliff to my death. Sadly my Cleric game will never recover lol.

I wouldnt mind but I beat the Capra demon twice before with lower level characters and with lower level weapons :rolleyes: oh well. Was a fantastic in game rage though.... very soothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've now put about 22 hours into Dark Souls but I've reached a dead end. My enthusiasm for the game is now all but gone. I was enjoying the game wandering around unexplored areas and the excitement of seeing what was coming next.

However, I found the bosses extremely annoying. I got stuck for hours on the Gargoyles and only passed them by summoning the Knight and letting him do the bulk of the work. I then enjoyed the game for another little bit until the next boss, the Capra Demon. Several hours later and I'm still no further. I wanted to see more of the game but I can see that I won't be beating the Capra Demon. I guess I could go somewhere and farm souls to level up but that just isn't fun anymore. I do feel that it is a shame I won't see more of the game but the frustration has just gotten too much.

The disc is now back in it's case and up on the shelf. Now to decide whether to get Batman or wait on Uncharted 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've now put about 22 hours into Dark Souls but I've reached a dead end. My enthusiasm for the game is now all but gone. I was enjoying the game wandering around unexplored areas and the excitement of seeing what was coming next.

However, I found the bosses extremely annoying. I got stuck for hours on the Gargoyles and only passed them by summoning the Knight and letting him do the bulk of the work. I then enjoyed the game for another little bit until the next boss, the Capra Demon. Several hours later and I'm still no further. I wanted to see more of the game but I can see that I won't be beating the Capra Demon. I guess I could go somewhere and farm souls to level up but that just isn't fun anymore. I do feel that it is a shame I won't see more of the game but the frustration has just gotten too much.

The disc is now back in it's case and up on the shelf. Now to decide whether to get Batman or wait on Uncharted 3.

Translation:

"Please people, convince me otherwise!"

Why are you stuck on Capra? You run onto the ledge where he can't reach you, let him fall, then do a falling R1 on him - rinse and repeat.

You could just lob firebombs at him from the ledge too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Much easier to go on top of the stairs and take out the dogs first , capra is simple then , hes patterns are slow and easy to read just make sure you are not backed into a corner

• Advertisement

Went further into Anor today.

Got past the guys shooting the arrows, they were annoying me for a while but eventually I ran to the guy on the right, right up to him, and the guy on the left couldn't hit me anymore. Of coure the guy on the right smacked me about but I kept the shield up until he fell.

Trying to get some humanity but jesus I have killed about 30 knights now and nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

noodler wrote: »
    Translation:

"Please people, convince me otherwise!"

No, not really. I'm happy enough with my decision. I'm glad that I tried Dark Souls. It wasn't a game that I thought I would be interested in. It was all the talk on this forum and others that convinced me to at least give it a try.

I've tried it now and I'm happy with that fact. I guess it is good to try a game outside of your comfort zone (PES, Mario for me) once in a while. I spent 22 hours with it, which is more than most single player games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just passed the Quelagg witch (she has alot of HP's :eek: ) where to from here ? i rang the bell, went down to demons ruins but i think that is left till later. i also met her sister. just waiting in the tunnel outside the boss fight (with a summon stone down)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

2smiggy wrote: »
    just passed the Quelagg witch (she has alot of HP's :eek: ) where to from here ? i rang the bell, went down to demons ruins but i think that is left till later. i also met her sister. just waiting in the tunnel outside the boss fight (with a summon stone down)

To Sens fortress. Back to Andre the blacksmith and there is a small path that leads down to it. Didnt you watch the cutscene after you rang the second bell
    Is the cursed sif sword worth making\using? need to bump up my strength and faith for it and am not not too enthusiastic about faith.

After you meet the req stats it still wont do anything a lightning claymore/zwei can do. But at very high levels (200+) it becomes one of the most powerful weapons in the game. If your looking for an immediate damage payoff for the stat investments it requires, you wont get it from either Wolf Sword. Actually i think its the True Greatsword that is the best in the game. Not to sure about the Cursed Greatsword. I know it can hit ghosts :rolleyes:

I went with the shield. Instant upgrade and probably one of the best greatshields in the game. Im wary about upgrading it though as it isnt cheap and the +1 upgrade doesnt increase the stablity. Wonder if +2 does....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

noodler wrote: »
    Trying to get some humanity but jesus I have killed about 30 knights now and nothing.

Do they drop humanity?
    I'm in Anor Londo too, but went back to the depths to farm humanity - rats seem to drop them - up to 13 now.
    Will farm some more before heading back to Anor and the Ornstein/Smough fight.

• Advertisement

i know how to get there from the firelink, just how to get back to there !! is it up the moving wheel ? i got passed the frogs second time so i do no remember the way too well. plus don't want to meet them again !

F1ngers wrote: »
    Do they drop humanity?
    I'm in Anor Londo too, but went back to the depths to farm humanity - rats seem to drop them - up to 13 now.
    Will farm some more before heading back to Anor and the Ornstein/Smough fight.

I was actually trying to get a chain going rather than get the item. I guess the way you are doing it makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

After you meet the req stats it still wont do anything a lightning claymore/zwei can do. But at very high levels (200+) it becomes one of the most powerful weapons in the game. If your looking for an immediate damage payoff for the stat investments it requires, you wont get it from either Wolf Sword. Actually i think its the True Greatsword that is the best in the game. Not to sure about the Cursed Greatsword. I know it can hit ghosts :rolleyes:..

Its the cursed thing that's interesting me.

Checking the guide from what I can see upgrading does sfa to the shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Picked up the guide while I was in town... its really really classy.
    The hardback cover is awesome. Ive been trying to avoid temptation and having a look ahead redface.gif Hopefully i can last.

Started my Cleric build again rolleyes.gif (I seriously cant believe I went on a raging death march). Anyway the good news:

I beat the HellKite Dragon, at LV11.... first time biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Smacked his tail running past with my lighting powered mace but it didnt break frown.gif, got into the alcove, got him close and smacked him in the head with said elec Mace once and his tail exploded eek.gif, instant drake sword. Got into the alcove when I had the chance and two handed it, 4 more chances after dodging his head bite and Boom 10k souls and a massive grin.

No, not really. I'm happy enough with my decision. I'm glad that I tried Dark Souls. It wasn't a game that I thought I would be interested in. It was all the talk on this forum and others that convinced me to at least give it a try.

I've tried it now and I'm happy with that fact. I guess it is good to try a game outside of your comfort zone (PES, Mario for me) once in a while. I spent 22 hours with it, which is more than most single player games.

Game isnt for everyone but I will say the Capra demon was in my oppinion the hardest boss Ive encountered so far in the game. (Just beaten the Iron Golem in Sens so Im fairly far in) The only reason he is so hard is those stupid fu*king dogs and the fact that if you are unlucky you will fail to get past first/second time and will be killed. I seriously think you have to be lucky to get through the fog gate, to the right, cut across and up the stairs without something messing up.

I hate that boss fight. Hes actually easy once hes on his own, but a string of unlucky starts and you'll be pissed off. I'll be seriously overleveled when I attempt him again ;) because I was "unlucky" getting cornered by those dogs a good 7 times in a row yet Ive beaten him before. Cheap.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Smacked his tail running past with my lighting powered mace but it didnt break

Please tell me thats a Pine Resin mace and not an actual lightning mace at level 11...

Im actually doing a Cleric run through also. I have abandoned (for now) my main char and am sticking with a Cleric Faith build. SL 38 atm and heading into Sens. What kinda build you have in mind? Im gonna max faith and rock a divine and occult weapon. Going for medium armour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Please tell me thats a Pine Resin mace and not an actual lightning mace at level 11...

Im actually doing a Cleric run through also. I have abandoned (for now) my main char and am sticking with a Cleric Faith build. SL 38 atm and heading into Sens. What kinda build you have in mind? Im gonna max faith and rock a divine and occult weapon. Going for medium armour also.

Let me know how it goes, not playing my main until the patch but was thinking of rolling a faith build also!!

Big Knox wrote: »
    Let me know how it goes, not playing my main until the patch but was thinking of rolling a faith build also!!

Was tough going at the start. Was using a Longsword (I refuse to use Drakesword) for up until after i killed Quelagg. Ran through Catacombs for the Lucerne (Divine) and Great Scythe (Occult) Have both those two and a Claymore (Occult) on the Divine path now (+2 +3) and my damage has gone up quite abit with only 20 Faith.

Had to grind some souls to buy the Washing Pole (Divine) and a few others from Shiva, so i grinded the Leechs in the swamp. Not great for souls but i get some green shards so i didnt mind.

i'm after getting up to the valley of the drakes, from blighttown, please tell me there is a shortcut to activate , before i die again !!

ahaha, found it, right accross the bridge !!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Those Gargoyles aren't up to much when you get the Drake Sword. I was getting frustrated with them until I went back and got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Got it on the weekend, made the same mistake I made on Demons, quickly put a character together and ran into the game... am now struggling so I'll have to start again and put together a well thought out character...

May go for a melee type as I comepleted Demons in that fashion... any tips for a new melee?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Raced through Sens Fortress last night (as the OH was demanding the TV), didn't find a bonfire then got to the Iron Golem only to get him down to two more hits and then I rolled off the bridge! AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

Will surely find a bonfire in there no? I can't keep doing those traps over and over - my nerves will be shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

penev10 wrote: »
    Raced through Sens Fortress last night (as the OH was demanding the TV), didn't find a bonfire then got to the Iron Golem only to get him down to two more hits and then I rolled off the bridge! AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

Will surely find a bonfire in there no? I can't keep doing those traps over and over - my nerves will be shot!

There's one on the roof. Bit tricky to find you have to fall of a ledge. So you never have to go through those traps ever again !

Its kinda hidden, look out for signs for it, its up on the top section on a ledge, you've to drop to it. Its where you come out on the roof just run up 2 flights of stairs. If you've taken out the giant checking the fire, it should be wasy to find as you'll time to look and not worry about being firebombed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The bonfire is almost impossible to find without reading up on it, or looking really carefully. If you don't mind reading where, it's
    after you get to the open area, where the firebombs are coming down, run up the stairs to the left, and at the edge on the right (think there's a body nearby), there is a gap in the wall. Slowly walk near the edge, and look down. The bonfire is below. You can drop down, and you come back out at the stairs leading back to where you started above

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

When you emerge from the fortress, kill the firebomb guy, he stays dead when you kill him.
    Where the firebombs are landing, there is a spot where you drop down to - that is where the bonfire is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

is the giant loading the big stone boulders able to be killed / looted also? any implications in doing so? presume the boulder launcher wont work any more etc

the black knight type guy (not an actual black knight, same type as the one in the Undead parish church?) is farmable up there too, and dropped me a good bit of titanite iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Cheers lads:)

Sounds tricky to find. Might take a peak at the guide. Atleast I know theres one there. Having to melee the Golem was a pain, if I can recharge my magic at the bonfire he's dead meat.

Wossack wrote: »
    is the giant loading the big stone boulders able to be killed / looted also? any implications in doing so? presume the boulder launcher wont work any more etc

the black knight type guy (not an actual black knight, same type as the one in the Undead parish church?) is farmable up there too, and dropped me a good bit of titanite iirc

You can kill him but he'll respawn, i killed him and found nothing different.

his drop-rate isn't that good. Better off farming the leeches in blighttown just before the catacombs, they've a pretty good drop rate of heavy shards and green shards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

You can kill him but he'll respawn, i killed him and found nothing different.

his drop-rate isn't that good. Better off farming the leeches in blighttown just before the catacombs, they've a pretty good drop rate of heavy shards and green shards.

good to know about the giant, ta

yea, think one of the leeches dropped 5x green in one go when I was there initially. Not sure I could stick the framerate to farm there for any amount of time though :pac:

Advertisement