Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fry Model Railway Museum to close permanently!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just given it a plug on my blog here: http://collectireland.wordpress.com/ but I think its day is done at Malahide Castle and with Dublin Tourism - it needs a new home and owners. Good to see 'a head of steam' building up but alas the media will have their minds elsewhere. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Good to see 'a head of steam' building up but alas the media will have their minds elsewhere. :)

Yes they will and I doubt it would demand a few inches anyway. The one thing I note from Steamengines post above is the battle cry being sent out to the model and railfan community. This is just my opinion, but I think herein lies the problem. This "community" should only be part of the market and not the actual market. Mr. Hamill's call to arms should also encourage the circulation of the email to friends, colleagues and family who may have no particular interest in railways, but appreciate the visitor attraction aspect of the Fry model railway. Any form of insular approach will consign the demise of this "attraction" (which was poorly marketed anyway) to the realm of the quickly forgotten.

DW - spot on and judging from many of the posts that I've read on other forums most modellers and railway enthusiasts never went near the place from one end of the year to the next. I have to admit that I have been in with my kids twice and once as a guest of John Dunne, other than that I restricted my visits to dealing with John at the shop - the visitor experience was that poor. It needs taking away from Dublin Tourism, some serious rethinking of how it's to be displayed/marketed and then....

What the heck! While we are waiting for Dublin Tourism to make a decision on a new location, how about we put it on record with the most modern online method - YES! - A Facebook page!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-the-Fry-Model-Railway/123383334401171

Go mad. Vent. Share it. Post pics (Fry related only) Video (Fry related only). Say what you have to say. But please share it on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Latest reply i have is that this is on the adgenda for a meeting of the board of dublin tourism next week.

i have a contact detail at that level and will have a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Given that admission to the three institutions that I listed is FREE, unless they sell an awful of tea towels and cups of tea I don't see how they can possibly be commercially viable. Worthwhile yes - commercially viable no!

Are people seriously comparing the dead zoo to a model railway set?

Auld lads used to tell me scare stories about pike but there's a stuffed trout in there scarier than any pike. let alone the sheer quality of the atmosphere of the building.

I may have set the page up, but don't let any differences you may have with me stop you from joining the page and generating debate and interest. Its purely a page to highlight closure and not any agenda.

DW - don't be depressed about the slow take-up on the page - my participation on it has probably driven away enthusiasts in their droves. I should never have run off with all the money from the Cavan & Leitrim. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DW - spot on and judging from many of the posts that I've read on other forums most modellers and railway enthusiasts never went near the place from one end of the year to the next. I have to admit that I have been in with my kids twice and once as a guest of John Dunne, other than that I restricted my visits to dealing with John at the shop - the visitor experience was that poor. It needs taking away from Dublin Tourism, some serious rethinking of how it's to be displayed/marketed and then....

Indeed, and that's why I wouldn't go again despite my interest in model railways.

It's no Miniatur Wunderland, I'll tell ya that :pac::pac:

Not being a modeller I had not even heard of the Hamburg Miniatur Wunderland - official video below. Interesting to note the whole layout is lit up and you're able to wander around and interact instead of being treated like a sheep. Also note where it is claimed to be one of the most popular tourist attractions in Germany!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not being a modeller I had not even heard of the Hamburg Miniatur Wunderland - official video below. Interesting to note the whole layout is lit up and you're able to wander around and interact instead of being treated like a sheep. Also note where it is claimed to be one of the most popular tourist attractions in Germany!

it's also insanely big, has working ships floating on water
    has a newly built working airport, planes actually take off and fly out of the scene (via clever lifting mechanism). Has lot of different ares, Germany, US, Switzerland, etc...

Cars and trucks run around fully automated and even drive to the recharging points when the need more juice. The number of trains is also something like 1600 iirc :eek:

I'll make it there one day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A quick update on the Fry Models....

I am aware of the identity of at least two serious parties who are interested in purchasing the collection. One is an established transport entity while the other are modelers who know the collection very well. There are other efforts on foot to secure it's future at least for the short term but paramount to it's long term future is securing a premises for it to be hosted, as well as space for models that are not for the public view, storage, working areas for modelers etc.

Of those that are looking to save the collection, the sad reality here is that it costs a significant amount of money each year just to maintain and to make good any running repairs that are needed on a day to day basis; this also doesn't account for a professional modeler's wage to run and curate the set. To bring it onto public show, it's realistically going to have to be a paid attraction as has been the case in the past, unless an alternative means of long term funding can be found for same. This would eliminate the suggestion of the National Museum taking it on unless the State is willing to pay to keep it going.

Well I hope it doesn't end up at the Steam Museum in Straffan which is one idea I have heard being toted about. Apart from it being in private ownership it is horribly inaccessible by public transport. No doubt, being Ireland, some decision will be reached in haste rather than after a period of reflection about what is best.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

DWCommuter wrote: »
    What the heck! While we are waiting for Dublin Tourism to make a decision on a new location, how about we put it on record with the most modern online method - YES! - A Facebook page!

Go mad. Vent. Share it. Post pics (Fry related only) Video (Fry related only). Say what you have to say. But please share it on facebook.

Can we clarify - does "Fry related" include chocolate cream and rashers, sausages,eggs and pudding ?

On a side note - as a kid we used go to Skerries every year. Every year the exhibition was on the agenda but it never seemed to be open. I was an adult working in DUblin before I got to see it.

Well I hope it doesn't end up at the Steam Museum in Straffan which is one idea I have heard being toted about. Apart from it being in private ownership it is horribly inaccessible by public transport. No doubt, being Ireland, some decision will be reached in haste rather than after a period of reflection about what is best.

To be honest, anywhere suitable to house it is going to need at least 15,000 square foot of floor space so Straffan is out, as indeed are 90% of buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Isn't Connolly the most congested part of the rail network though. unlikely to get anything there, I'd assume. That would be the problem with any city location. The FAS center in Cabra is closing, thats on a train line, beside a station, lots of workshops etc. Though perhaps not the most attractive visual location for tourists. Are there any locations along the coast with a useful spur?

BostonB wrote: »
    Isn't Connolly the most congested part of the rail network though. unlikely to get anything there, I'd assume. That would be the problem with any city location. The FAS center in Cabra is closing, thats on a train line, beside a station, lots of workshops etc. Though perhaps not the most attractive visual location for tourists. Are there any locations along the coast with a useful spur?

Just before anybody answers you; model railways don't really require mainline railway spurs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Just before anybody answers you; model railways don't really require mainline railway spurs ;)

A tourist attraction that ties in with the actual railway, would draw far more visitors. Kids who like model railways, like real trains. Stations, tickets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

DWCommuter wrote: »
    In fairness most people found it by accident. It was a beautiful display in its heyday but I always got the feeling that the staff didn't really want you there.
    I know exactly what you mean. I brought the kids there a couple of years ago. My memory is of a brilliant exhibit run by two grumpy old men who hated children. But, tbh, it sort of added to the experience.
    Well I hope it doesn't end up at the Steam Museum in Straffan which is one idea I have heard being toted about.
    Indeed, the Steam Museum is an even more astonishing exhibit, which could be such a resource if it was put somewhere sensible that people could actually get to.

However, unlike the Steam Museum, I'd say the Fry Model Railway needs to be part of something else. I mean, I've been back to the Steam Museum a couple of times. It is that good. Fry Model Railway would be a good exhibit if it was part of Dublinia, for the sake of argument.

(Whaddya mean vikings didn't have the Dart?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A national disgrace that this is closing. I live nearby and have been several times...fond memories of the place.

FCC wil be receiving some emails ;)

• Advertisement

parsi wrote: »
    Can we clarify - does "Fry related" include chocolate cream and rashers, sausages,eggs and pudding ?

On a side note - as a kid we used go to Skerries every year. Every year the exhibition was on the agenda but it never seemed to be open. I was an adult working in DUblin before I got to see it.

Do what you like! HAVE FUN!!

However, unlike the Steam Museum, I'd say the Fry Model Railway needs to be part of something else.

In the grander scheme of things, its probably better off as a major exhibit within a national transport museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Sorry its closing.

Yes I met those grumpy old men that didn't like kids and talked down to adults.:mad:

I wanted to take some pics but was told it was forbidden which I thought was strange:confused:

I hope it finds a nice home for all to enjoy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 one eye

The closure of the Fry exhibit in Malahide Castle is long overdue.
    The purpose of the museum was to display Cyril Fry's stunning hand built models of Irish Railways. These were scratch built to a stunning degree of detail. In fact they were probably the best scratch built models in the country and indeed further afield.
    The entire set-up of the museum was wrong. The staff are rude, disinterested in the visiting public and as already noted were at best unfriendly to children,the future custodians of these treasures.
    The model railway on display is of a poor standard and some of the models defeat the philosophy of displaying the best in Irish Railway Modelling.
    The Fry models are poorly displayed and the gorgons who guard these treasures are more interested in their poor layout, than providing information on Fry's masterpieces.
    The prohibition on photography is absurd. If there is a possibility of adverse affects on the models from constant photography (how does that work) then it should have been a priority to produce a book of photographs of the
    models (Fry's) to be sold reasonably priced and would be an investment that would have a long term cash generating stream for the museum. There are other publication possibilities of related information which would be long term sellers.
    This would seem logical to me but we don't do logic in this country.
    Sadly the museum fell victim to the elitist culture we promote in Ireland.
    The guardians of Fry's masterworks were above the audience they were supposed to attract. Hopefully in the future we will see Fry's models on display again, soon, and that it will be better thought out than the Malahide debacle. And let us have well informed friendly staff.
    Well done Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Only seen this now. Haven't been in probably the best part of 20 years, but was planning on bringing the wee fella when he's a year or two older, pity. Fond memories of it.

John Hamill on Liveline now about Fry Model Railway closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I've only just heard about the closure on LiveLine today! :(

I went to the Fry Model Railway last year for the first time even though I've lived in Dublin for almost 13 years. There is really some fantastic stuff there however I was also rather surprised that no photography was allowed though I took some "sneaky ones";)

My Granddad worked as a gatekeeper on the Great Southern Railway so always had a great fascination with railways.
    Hopefully the model railway will find a better home nearer to the city centre. I would imagine there is space available in Collin's Barracks!

I can't see Pat "no need for a National Transport Museum" Wallace, Director of the National Museum welcoming a lot of old railway tat and train spotters in 'his' museum at Collins Barracks. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I can't see Pat "no need for a National Transport Museum" Wallace, Director of the National Museum welcoming a lot of old railway tat and train spotters in 'his' museum at Collins Barracks. :rolleyes:

Well he has welcomed a lot of "old tat" from the ICA .
    Temporary exhibition there at the moment! :D

Does anybody know if anything is being done to drum up support for a National Transport Museum?

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »
    Well he has welcomed a lot of "old tat" from the ICA .
    Temporary exhibition there at the moment! :D

Does anybody know if anything is being done to drum up support for a National Transport Museum?

Thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056169052 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Advertisement