Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Transport Museum

Options
  • 04-02-2011 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

As much as I despise the term "Museum" and following on from posts made in the Fry Model Railway thread, who is interested in supporting a new campaign to develop the idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd support a campaign, but wouldn't be able to actually do anything beyond supporting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Location is paramount, but having had some practical experiance of Preservation in the UK and owning (half) my own railway coach, id like to think I can do more than support.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KenGriffin

Because I am no longer a journalist, I can happily say that I will support it and help out where I can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

What's the place out in Howth called?
    I though that was the transport museum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

stoneill wrote: »
    What's the place out in Howth called?
    I though that was the transport museum?

They http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/ like to call it the National Transport Museum but it is no more than a couple of haysheds packed with loads of historic vehicles awaiting an attack by arsonists. It is no relection on the TMSI that this is so but rather the appalling attitude of the State towards our transport heritage - in more recent times that would include John "my door is always open - except when you need to see me" Gormley, Pat "Ireland doesn't need a transport museum" Wallace of the National Museum, Bord Failte, Heritage Council etc.etc.etc.....

Picture here says all that you need to know: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drivingtoperfection/1123248547/lightbox/

Don't expect any change when FG/Labour takeover. :(

• Advertisement

I've been there once. They have a fantastic collection but just not enough space for it, as JD said, an arson attack would wipe out the lot. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

This hasn't gone away you know.:D

If anyone is interested in attending an informal meeting to put cards on the table and discuss (in a realistic way) the potential to progress a campaign for the establishment of a National Transport Museum, please say it here or PM me.

The concept is going to be promoted anyway as it has been very close to my heart for years. But I would rather give those interested the opportunity to speak now instead of sniping on the internet years from now. Leave the egos, issues and gripes at the door and say what you believe in. Somewhere in that mix a viable possibility may emerge that can be developed into a professional and realistic case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Will the current curators from the Transport Museum in Howth be invited to the discussion group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

stoneill wrote: »
    Will the current curators from the Transport Museum in Howth be invited to the discussion group?

All current organisations will be given the opportunity to have their say. Its only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fair play to ya DW, hope it goes somewhere.

Wish you the best of luck but it's not something I could see myself getting into in a meaningful enough way to say I'd be dedicated.

If things work out I probably won't even still be here in a few months anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

They should also start looking after decommissioned rolling stock. The only modes of transport I can see are road based modes (tarmac road that is). How about getting some of the older iron road (rail) based vehicles (trains)?

This would also give them a chance to revitalize rolling stock which has been rusting for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I'm afraid I'm another person who'll contribute nothing of practical benefit, although I do promise to visit the museum if you get it off the ground. ;)

But I was just wondering where would this fit in with our sundered brethern's rather fine collection.

http://www.nmni.com/uftm/Collections/Transport-%281%29/Transport-Galleries/Transport-Galleries

That just leads me to another thought of whether there's scope for a stand alone transport museum, or whether a science museum might be more viable. Similarly, it seems to be one of these things where we've stuff scattered about the place that, brought together, would be quite a resource. The W5 centre in Belfast if great for hands-on stuff, but doesn't have much historical material. On the other hand, NUI Maynooth have quite a decent collection of old bits and pieces in something they call a 'national science museum', but which has very limited opening hours.

If it was feasible - and I wonder would it ever be - if you could bring together the Maynooth stuff, the Howth stuff, the Straffan Steam Museum stuff and some up-to-date interactive materials like the W5 centre, you'd have quite a credible institution.

Sorry for running - particularly as I'm disappearing off again into the mists of the internet. But, if its any good, I certainly found your objective appealing, or I wouldn't have opened the thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They should also start looking after decommissioned rolling stock. The only modes of transport I can see are road based modes (tarmac road that is). How about getting some of the older iron road (rail) based vehicles (trains)?

This would also give them a chance to revitalize rolling stock which has been rusting for decades.

The NTM in Howth hasn't got the space to take on anything else, realistically. They do have trams, including the fire damaged remains of the DUTC Directors Tram which is hoped to be restored when finances and time allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SJBrowne

Hi

I was wondering if you could get your advice. I'm a final year design student out in Dun Laoghaire but live near howth. Im concerned about the state of the museum and was quite upset the first time i visited the place to see such amazing objects in such a badly conditioned space.

I am thinking on focusing on promoting the vehicle collection as the basis for my final project. I know the place needs a lot more than a bit of promotion to sustain it. Saying that, i feel that even if the only outcome of my project is that more people knows about this place, than maybe a campaign will follow.

Just want to find out if you have any tips,advice or places to get more information.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just noticed this on IRN

Locomotive B113 moved from Inchicore to the RPSI depot at Whitehead today. It left Dublin around midnight and arrived at Whitehead around 7am. It was re-railed by early afternoon.

The locomotive has been presented to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum by CIÉ. It will join Hunslet 102 in the Rail Gallery at Cultra later this year.

I must be slipping up! Whilst I'm pleased to see the preservation of 113 (which I was involved with saving through having her retained for the GSRPS) - I can't say that I'm happy to see yet another of the key exhibits that could have been displayed in a museum down here disappear north of the border. I suppose I'm just being a killjoy as I'm done with preservation in Ireland.

68136c94132fa402c3ebd2706303fe86acc91c1d.pjpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

whilst I agree with you on the lamentable lack of a museum "down here", i am pleased to see a secure futre for the loco and 102....brings the story at Cultra a lot more up to date....they need a GM now...

Advertisement