Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fry Model Railway Museum to close permanently!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

MYOB wrote: »
    I wonder if enough of us whinge could we get a dribblers enthusiasts visit date set up with FCC...

Perhaps the IRRS will organise a farewell visit - you can't have a closure without them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bjg wrote: »
    Moyasta isn't remote — at least from me: it's much closer than Malahide. And Moyasta has a large number of passing tourists and holiday-makers.

bjg
    Moyasta is a dumb and short sighted location for any national railway museum for several reasons.

5'3" NEVER extended to that part of the country.

To get to that part of the country by public transport one has to take a 30 mile BUS journey from Ennis.

Moyasta is situated over thirty miles to the nearest section of national track which makes it prohibitally expensive to have restored exhibits transported for heratige runs.

It is very closely to exposed to the Atlantic sea air, out door exhibits will soon show their age if not properly protected..

Moyasta is fine for a narrow gauge WCR museum because that is where that railway ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Don't go - it is still closed for the Winter (October-April) so it will not be reopening prior to its official closure.

Thats crappy news :mad:.
    Incidentally, the bridge looks like it's being maintained to the highest standards of Iarnrod Eireann. :D

Thought that myself, is it ment to be Malahide or Cahir? Deffo Cahir.
    Perhaps the IRRS will organise a farewell visit - you can't have a closure without them. :D

I was hoping to find a twenty page thread on a different, sad, message board.

Not like this one, at all at all :D

I dont know why, but things like this really piss me off. Ok, I got a kick from seeing and appreciating such good workmanship and dedication in what was on display, but my kids really really loved it and also a trip to the Museum in Howth too. They didnt see the faults we can see. Now another different thing has gone down the drain, all we are left with are the same things. What the hell does Finglal CC think they are at anyway? Why do they need to ...

ah, **** it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Moyasta is a dumb and short sighted location for any national railway museum for several reasons.

5'3" NEVER extended to that part of the country.

To get to that part of the country by public transport one has to take a 30 mile BUS journey from Ennis.

Moyasta is situated over thirty miles to the nearest section of national track which makes it prohibitally expensive to have restored exhibits transported for heratige runs.

It is very closely to exposed to the Atlantic sea air, out door exhibits will soon show their age if not properly protected..

Moyasta is fine for a narrow gauge WCR museum because that is where that railway ran.

It is a bizzare location alright, but nobody else did anything. The ITG had to put their engines somewhere, if Jackie Whelan offered them his site then surely it is better than them being scrapped with no home to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

this best sums up how i feel right now after i heard this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE

• Advertisement

It is a bizzare location alright, but nobody else did anything. The ITG had to put their engines somewhere, if Jackie Whelan offered them his site then surely it is better than them being scrapped with no home to go to.

If the Dept of Transport or Tourism had any brains they would have sourced a location along the national railway line / inter urbans with direct access to our cities.

The midlands would have been fine, i.e. a 1 1/2 hour trip from Dublin, Galway or Cork or Limerick by rail or road. Moist is at least 3 1/2 hours from Dublin, a bit too much for any day trip to see our national heritage rusting away in a farm yard. .

Iarnrod Eireann and the museum could have organised an all in family day excoursion ticket if the museum was on the main line.

Railway heratige has a huge following in the UK in so much that there are several museums around the country with regular excursions in both Steam and Diesel. The Crewe museum is a good example of one which is situated on the main Chester to London line.

I can guarantee if there was word about an A series making a heratige run along the East Coast it would draw more attention than any steam run. Anyone over the age of 35 would have been brought up with them.

I am not knocking the ITG for moving there, they had little or no choice with limited funds along with eviction notices from other properties. The Dept of Transport / Tourism didn't fcuk all in helping them organise a more suitable location.

Hopefully with this up and coming election someone with a bit of brains will get in and see the potential of a national transport museum.

Sadly from my experience of dealing with politicians of various persuasions including the incoming crowd Michael Lowry (FG), Alan Dukes (FG) and Michael D Higgins (Labour) I would hold out no hope whatsoever of anything being done. Nearly 15 years ago the National Heritage Council told me that they would have their policy on a Transport Museum in place by 2000. Still what's wrong with a hay shed in Howth that will burn to the ground some night. There's a lot of people in influential positions over the decades in Bord Failte, the Heritage Council, CIE and the National Museum - not to mention the politicians - who have a lot to answer for. It is hardly surprising that the country is ****ed when they can't even deal with something as simple as setting up a National Transport Museum.

Oh, and I nearly forgot that useless tool John Gormley who wouldn't even meet me to discuss the matter! And don't anybody come on here about my ****ing condescending attitude - where do you think it comes from!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

You are right in saying there should be more done at political level, I think JD is right in holding no hope at anything ever being done. If there was it would have been done long ago, its hardly rocket science to set up a museum.

However, credit should go to the people at Howth, Moyasta, amongst other places for doing what they can. Hell, if it wasnt for Howth I dont think we would have any transport museum in the country at all!

As for an A attracting people on a run down the east coast its a nice thought be sadly I think the majority of people couldn't care less unless its a steam train. To the general public a diesel is a diesel, be it an 071 or an A. Its not like the enthusiast market would be enough to support it! Did the ITG not run A class specials once and found the market wasnt there to support them?

A very important point that I left out about having a national transport museum in the middle of nowhere is the difficulty of getting steady flow of volunteer workers. If it was closer to any of the cities it wouldn't involve long trips with additional hotel expenses. It would also be closer to FAS training centers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

We've obviously been stirred into heritage and a national transport museum. And all because the little train set in Malahide is being shut down. So.....

I remember a little post on a very insignificant forum in November 2002 that called for a railway lobby to be set up. It was. And it blasted its way into the national media within 2 months of being established. Its pretty easy when people who care can get together and forge ahead in a particular direction. So....

Who here is really interested in putting together a new lobby to campaign for a national transport museum? Who will put their gob on the line? Who will forget their past experiences and embrace new thinking? Who will think about this idea on a commercial basis and forget about isolated and pitiful excuses for preservation? Who will believe that Cultra can be convinced to hand back exibits? Who will be brave enough to face down bit part efforts and bring them into a national vision? Who will be brave enough to let go of their hang ups?

If you can honestly say yes to all of the above, then it would be possible to present a coherent and commercially viable proposition to those that matter so long as you remember the word "commercial" and let go of any "purest" thinking.

Realistically who here has the balls to take this one on without moaning about past experiences? I'll start by saying that I'm up for it and can bring a lot to the table and put it in the national media very quickly.

So.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i got nothing better to do than support this...

DWCommuter wrote: »
    We've obviously been stirred into heritage and a national transport museum. And all because the little train set in Malahide is being shut down. So.....

I remember a little post on a very insignificant forum in November 2002 that called for a railway lobby to be set up. It was. And it blasted its way into the national media within 2 months of being established. Its pretty easy when people who care can get together and forge ahead in a particular direction. So....

Who here is really interested in putting together a new lobby to campaign for a national transport museum? Who will put their gob on the line? Who will forget their past experiences and embrace new thinking? Who will think about this idea on a commercial basis and forget about isolated and pitiful excuses for preservation? Who will believe that Cultra can be convinced to hand back exibits? Who will be brave enough to face down bit part efforts and bring them into a national vision? Who will be brave enough to let go of their hang ups?

If you can honestly say yes to all of the above, then it would be possible to present a coherent and commercially viable proposition to those that matter so long as you remember the word "commercial" and let go of any "purest" thinking.

Realistically who here has the balls to take this one on without moaning about past experiences? I'll start by saying that I'm up for it and can bring a lot to the table and put it in the national media very quickly.

So.....

So.... yesterday morning I e mailed Finglal County Council, Dublin Tourism, and every Councillor there in Malahide area, and also the national museum.

Here are the replies:

Thank you for taking the time to email me.

It is my understanding that the Fry Model Railway is a privately owned and operated attraction which happens to be housed at Malahide Castle in a building reputedly owned by Dublin Tourism.

While I would prefer that this attraction stayed in Malahide, it is not a Council decision and not one that I believe that I can interfere with.

I would welcome your view on this email.

Yours sincerely,

Alan Farrell

Cllr. Alan Farrell

General Election Candidate for Dublin North

Fine Gael
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]I have sent your email onto my colleague Seamus Lynam – Head of Services at the National Museum of Ireland.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]I expect Seamus will revert back to you in the coming days.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Kind Regards,[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Maureen[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Maureen Gaule[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Marketing Executive[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Marketing Department[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]National Museum of Ireland[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Collins Barracks[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Dublin 7[/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks for your email.

My understanding is that the Fry Model Railway is run by Dublin Tourism and because they are withdrawing from running Malahide Castle the exhibit is to close. You would need to contact Dublin Tourism with regard to finding a more suitable and central location.

Regards,

Cian [O Callaghan]

Thank you for your email. I have forwarded same to the Head of Parks Department. They will deal with your query and reply to you directly.

Kind regards

Jenny Foley
    Citizen Services Division [finglal county council]

Still waiting from Dublin Tourism.

I'll contact you directly DWC on this.

Suggestions?

DW I would happily support any new 'professional' body - from the sidelines - as I have far too many enemies from years in the preservation world who I never want to deal with again. That said, like FF we need new blood and I have lots of ideas - not to mention information - that might be useful and which I would happily pass on to any 'professional' new body. As for stock from Cultra - well the RSPI would also be a good source as they have far more lying about than they can deal with and, believe it or not there are still some very rare items dotted about the countryside known only to a very few of us. Within CIE control you still have old No.36 in Cork, 113 at Inchicore and I assume they still have nominal ownership of 131, 90 and Slieve Callan which would be leverage for getting other items back on loan from those organisations. However, I suspect that we are at nothing as talk is cheap and in my experience precious few are prepared to support anything when it comes to money or donkey work. Round up the usual few Brits and let them off. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

needs a seperate thread really....(seperate forum too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is it possible to be commercial viable? You'd have to look at other places which manage to achieve that. There may unique conditions that exist in one place that are impossible to replicate somewhere else. Like Ireland.

BostonB wrote: »
    Is it possible to be commercial viable? You'd have to look at other places which manage to achieve that. There may unique conditions that exist in one place that are impossible to replicate somewhere else. Like Ireland.

Are the National Library, National Gallery, and Natural History Museum commercially viable?

Bring on the Railway Dribblers Heritage Forum.

Are the National Library, National Gallery, and Natural History Museum commercially viable?

Bring on the Railway Dribblers Heritage Forum.

I don't know. How much aid do they, and did they receive from the state. Buildings, land etc. Or on an on going basis. Something thats going to reduce moving forward.

Given that admission to the three institutions that I listed is FREE, unless they sell an awful of tea towels and cups of tea I don't see how they can possibly be commercially viable. Worthwhile yes - commercially viable no!

more replies.
    In addition to the Fry Railway there are also the Dolls Museum and Malahide Historical society's museum. I'm involved with the latter.

Whilst we are disappointed at the removal of the Fry our main concern is for our own museum as we are are also due to be displaced. We are in negotiation with Fingal Co.Co. for alternative accommodation and would prefer to concentrate our efforts in this regard.

As a matter of interest I understand the Fry has been expensive to maintain, drew relatively few visitors despite its prominent position in the demesne and was not considered an attraction that fitted in with the story of the Talbots, their castle and gardens which is to be the core of the development plan.

Notwithstanding above comments we certainly hope the Fry quickly finds a new home.

Regards,

Roger Greene [of the Malahide Historical Society]

hopefully the Dolls and the museum of childhood - which is an equally worthy cause - find somwhere too, it seems they are equally in the same problems. His reply is one that I round a lot more warmth in than the Councillers ones.

Of which this is the newest:

Fry Model Railway is owned by Dublin Tourism and unfortunately because of development at Malahide Castle will have to be moved. Dublin Tourism have not requested Fingal Council to find another suitable venue, they may have somewhere in mind themselves.

Regards,

Joan [Maher, Conciller)

Still, the big hole in all of this seems to be Dublin Tourism. Since I have had no reply to E-mails from them, I will hit the phones this afternoon and see whats up there.

I'll contact you directly DWC on this.

Suggestions?

You know my number.;)

• Advertisement

Given that admission to the three institutions that I listed is FREE, unless they sell an awful of tea towels and cups of tea I don't see how they can possibly be commercially viable. Worthwhile yes - commercially viable no!

I don't really get your point. That it would never be commercially viable?

I don't really get your point. That it would never be commercially viable?

Well, my point is that whether or not it is commercially viable would not matter if it was State run - like the three aforementioned institutions. However, in the right location it could probably be made to pay for itself.

I was amused to hear the Labour TD Roisin Shortall on Newstalk at lunchtime today going on about how Tourism is one of the key planks in their recovery programme - same old themes trotted out by a different party and no actual specifics. A bit like the idiots who think removing the €10 Travel Tax is going to lead to a gigantic increase in visitor numbers - I despair, I really do! :(

I think you managed to answer yes and no at the same time there. Election fever?

From LABOUR’S PLAN FOR
    ENTERPRISE, INNOVATION AND GROWTH

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/enterpriseinnovationgrowth.pdf

Tourism
    Ireland has a strong tourism product, but we have lost our competitive edge in recent years. Tourism is a sustainable industry, capable of providing jobs at every skill level, in every corner of the country. We need a fresh approach to providing tourist infrastructure, new ways of using ICT to enhance visitors’ stay here, and a joined-up approach to finding new markets.
    We will address the transport needs of visitors by extending a free travel scheme for every visitor over 66 at off peak times on all CIE services, within CIE’s existing budget, and facilitate the development of our coach tourism infrastructure.
    We will maintain the Tourism Marketing Fund as an essential pillar of our tourism strategy, and will introduce a systematic auditing system to ensure the best return on exchequer spending. Growth in global tourism in the 21 st century will predominately come from non-traditional markets, especially Asia. Marketing campaigns should be developed in emerging long haul markets such as China, Eastern Europe, India, Japan and the Middle East. This will be complemented by a broader translation policy and a reformed tourist visa process.
    There will be a new emphasis on platforms provided by the internet for new or enhanced tourism products, such as an interactive Irish tourism application for Mobile Internet Devices and specialist websites, such as a Surf Ireland portal or a dedicated portal for golfing holidays in Ireland.
    Ireland is well-placed to benefit from the growth in eco tourism and activity holidays.
    We will support local authorities which seek to cultivate local, sustainable tourism.
    We will also explore the development of a cycle route along the canal tow path from Dublin to the Shannon.
    ‘Event tourism’ will be prioritised, with strategic planning and funding to major international fairs and events to Ireland such as the Volvo Ocean Race or the Solheim Cup. We will also mandate Tourism Ireland to develop a dedicated service organising and promoting sightseeing in and beyond the conference location for conference delegates.
    Domestic tourism will be a priority for the department and its agencies. We will make the Culture Night Initiative a twice yearly event, and introduce a National Lottery Funding Anniversary Day, whereby all facilities which have received funding from the National Lottery will open their doors to the public free of charge.
    We will ensure that Ireland fully engages in the debate started by the European Commission's June 2010 Communication 'Europe, the world's No 1 tourist destination – a new political framework for tourism in Europe' and that the new tourism provisions of the Lisbon Treaty (Art.195, TFEU) are fully utilised to the benefit the Irish tourism sector.

What a lot of old meaningless drivel. :rolleyes:

I believe you have to start out on a venture like this by designing it with a wide customer base in mind. If it merely appeals to enthusiasts, then it will not be commercially viable to any degree. It has to appeal to many. A transport museum has to be more than just a historical tour de force. It has to be interactive and most importantly an "attraction". The one thing it can't be is some kind of self indulgent narrow minded personal project. It has to be run like a business. In fact I wouldn't even include the word "Museum" in its name as the word is associated with "boring" for many people.

update.

After a few phone calls and running around a bit the story is that Fingal County Council are talking back the running of the castle from Dublin Tourism as and from August this year. So my assumption is that it is not Dublin Tourism who are reveloping the place, as the councillers up there belive, but the other way around. Maybe the head of the parks department may throw some light on it when he gets back to me.

In any event, the Model Railway will not reopen this year at that site. It may reopen somwehere else, it may be operated by totally different people and they are open to offers on that score I understand.

I also have the contact details of the person overseeing that aspect of it and I will have an off-line chat with DWC after I have undertaken some evil work in North Tipp later and we will then see what we come up with before I contact that person.

As DWC sayeth above, anyone interested in this in a serious manner give myself or himself a PM.

Thats about it updates wise.

From LABOUR’S PLAN FOR
    ENTERPRISE, INNOVATION AND GROWTH

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/enterpriseinnovationgrowth.pdf

We will address the transport needs of visitors by extending a free travel scheme for every visitor over 66 at off peak times on all CIE services, within CIE’s existing budget, and facilitate the development of our coach tourism infrastructure.

WoT all voting Labour now I see. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

"a free travel scheme for every visitor over 66 at off peak times on all CIE services"
    I'm okay with that - if they return the State pensioner scheme to off peak only too. That was one of Seamus Brennan's dumber moves - expanding the scheme right when train services into Dublin were most oversubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There is some genuine tourism/leisure potential in schemes and attractions like this, but context is critical. For instance, the former Roundhouse in downtown Toronto which once serviced locos but is now a heritage museum with a short amount of track, a turntable and a miniature set large enough for kids to ride on is going to have a production of the Railway Children - but it's not off in the equivalent of Malahide - it's a short distance from Union Station and right beside the CN Tower.

One of the terminal stations in Dublin would seem to me the sort of place an exhibit like this should be in - and given the relative likelihood of an actual steam loco showing up, Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

This forms part of the latest RPSI bulletin, which requests that the E-Mail below be circulated amongst the model and railfan community. Please note the highlighted section. :)

FRY MODEL RAILWAY

Most of you will not be aware that the Fry Model Railway, owned by Dublin
    Tourism and housed in a purpose built building in Malahide Castle grounds has
    been given notice by Fingal County Council, the owners of the premises.

The reason for the eviction is not clear.

Again, most of you will have visited the Fry Model Railway at some time, and
    would be aware of the significance of this working layout, and associated static
    displays. It is the only working layout on the island to represent the history
    of our railways over the past 170 years or so, with the main line representing
    Belfast – Dublin - Cork, and including the narrow gauge and such delights as the
    mail boat sailing from Dun Laoire, and the Guinness barges on the River Liffey.

The layout, as far as we can ascertain, is to be put into storage, following its
    dismantling. The deadline for this is the end of February. No further details
    are available, and the future of both public and enthusiast viewing is
    uncertain.

An alternative location should be found, if possible, and we are appealing to
    ALL of you to come up with suggestions, north, south, east or west, in order
    that this magnificent collection should be kept available for public viewing.
    One suggestion is that it be re-erected in the grounds of Collins Barracks
    Museum in Dublin, which would have the advantage that it would be on a Luas
    route, close to Heuston/Kingsbridge station and on numerous bus lines. This is
    an area which should be explored further. It must be remembered though, that the
    layout is effectively a living organism, and requires maintenance on a regular
    basis, and the possibility of a continuous upgrading, as it has had over the
    last 20 years or so. Money will be required on an ongoing basis to maintain it;
    hence, it cannot be free entrance, wherever it may end up.

Timing is somewhat fortuitous, as the politicians in the South will now be more
    amenable to pressure, with an upcoming election, so I appeal to all of you to
    exercise whatever influence you have to ensure that the Fry Model Railway has a
    future in the public eye.

There will be one more opportunity to see the layout in action before its demise
    in its current form, and when we find out when that is to be we will notify the
    community of modellers and railfans on the Island. We would be keen to see a
    large turnout for that event to ensure that the authorities see that there is a
    huge interest in this collection.

There is also a requirement for a more formal support group for the Fry Model
    Railway, and a Friends of the Fry Model Railway is now in the process of
    formation. You are invited to give it your support.

I also appeal to you to ensure the widest possible circulation of this e-mail by
    whatever means possible among the model and prototype railway community. I have
    no contact details for IRRS, Erne MRC or Wexford MRC.

John Hamill

Chairman Model Railway Society of Ireland
    Interim Convenor, Friends of the Fry Model Railway

jghamill55@...

~~~~~

Advertisement