Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble Aftermath thread - *Spoilers*

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

CMpunked wrote: »
    Well for me i seen it that they built up the rumble match so well. You had nexus/corre stuff going on, the winner wasnt really predictable at all this year and the possible returns of some big names were floating around prior to the ppv.

When the match itself started they started so well. With Punk and Bryan starting off, the factions tension too. It gave it a real old school feel.

Then somehow during the match, they completely destroyed all of that. In theory punk should have survived until the end. Having him in santinos position at the end. (but thats just my opinion) the wwe seemed to grind the brakes on the factions feud after starting the match off with it.
    Also as it was pointed out before, this RR match seemed to have some of the shortest staying times in the rr history.

As the match itself goes, it was alright, but it did not start how it seemed to go on. and that was a major disappointment.

The eliminations of Punk and Danielson coupled with the Cena/Hornswoggle guff are the problem in my eyes. Instead of the leprachaun, Barrett should have came out when Punk and Cena were one-on-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,905 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CMpunked wrote: »
    Well for me i seen it that they built up the rumble match so well. You had nexus/corre stuff going on, the winner wasnt really predictable at all this year and the possible returns of some big names were floating around prior to the ppv.

When the match itself started they started so well. With Punk and Bryan starting off, the factions tension too. It gave it a real old school feel.

Then somehow during the match, they completely destroyed all of that. In theory punk should have survived until the end. Having him in santinos position at the end. (but thats just my opinion) the wwe seemed to grind the brakes on the factions feud after starting the match off with it.
    Also as it was pointed out before, this RR match seemed to have some of the shortest staying times in the rr history.

As the match itself goes, it was alright, but it did not start how it seemed to go on. and that was a major disappointment.

I agree Punk should have stayed until the end and would have liked to see all of Corre and Nexus in the ring at the same time, Booker and Nash went out way too early as did Sheamus imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

DM-ICE wrote: »
    From re reading some of the posts about the rumble I still don't get the negative ones.

Well I've been a WWE fan since the mid 90s and have watched the Rumbles religiously (even when I gave up on WWE for a year or two).

Look at any Rumble in the past (more so older than newer Rumbles) and throughout them all the excitement and atmosphere is from start to finish. This Rumble had a great start and a decent finish, but in the middle they completely took the steam out of the match by having the ridiculous Hornswoggle time.

Nexus were elminated far too easily by Cena, and seeing as Cena was moving on to the Miz feud THAT was the moment where Corre should have sabotaged Nexus, because eliminating Punk etc did nothing for Cena and nothing for Nexus, nobody got a rub out of it.

I thought Nash and Booker should have lated a little longer but thats opinion more so than logic.

Sheamus should have lasted longer (maybe til the end) as should Punk, why not have Punk come so close to winning and THEN have it snatched away, giving him more fuel in his revenge for being taken out so close. This was also the night for Daniel Bryan to actually go somewhere and they could have had him take revenge on Nexus or Barrett, or last (like my previous idea) until close enough to the end and have it snatched away thus starting a feud as opposed to this horrid Bella Twins muck he's involved with now. Having Punk eliminate him so early means that he'll be back to the same crap again. They could have had him "injured" by being thrown through the ropes and beaten up outside, and taken to the back whilst Nexus were dominating and to reappear later in the Rumble all bandaged up and make a good run and start a feud with someone.

Comedy moments in Rumbles are fine once they're insignificant and brief, but when a comedy moment takes up 10 minutes (Hornswoggle) and when another comedy moment is the "big elimination (number 29 or now 39) it devalues the moment of winning. Look at Benoit or HBK when they lumped the final guy out and the crowd just sucked up the atmosphere and acomplishment and felt the "wow" moment, yet in this Rumble there was no time for that because everyone was going "WTF??" when Santino reappeared.

Imagine how different it would have been if the last elimation was by Del Rio of Cena instead of Marella. Instead Cena was protected and blindsided, whilst Del Rio threw over the comedy act.

The same effect could have been achieved by having Santino come out the next night and claim to have never been eliminated but instead it took away from Del Rio's moment.

Mainly though it was the horrid mid-segment which seemed to seperate the start and finish of the Rumble into two seperate matches. Take Hornswoggle out and have Cena duel with Punk for that 10 minutes or so instead of Cena and Hornswoggle (who I've yet to see anyone actually cheer for) píssing about. People were amped up when Nexus were dominating, and then it was turned into a perfect opportunity for a píss break before it started getting somewhat good again.
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    What did people want/expect from an over the top rope elimination match?

Nobody is slamming the "Rumble", they're slagging the "Rumble 2011". Look at others Rumbles and they're fantastic, its nothing to do with it being an over the top rope elimation match, its the fact that THIS one was poor in comparison to others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fair play to you all for posting your thoughts at this stage, so long after the rumble.

I won't go mad with multi quote's as I enjoyed reading the opinions and can't find fault.

For what its worth I enjoyed the rumble as it felt different, I actually enjoyed the Hornswoggle stuff - the missus thought it was great and I found it a funny turn around from nexus beating everyone up.

PS:I clicked on 10 when I meant 9, but I can't change that now!

Advertisement