Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble Aftermath thread - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

GTR63 wrote: »
    I like Del Rio but as far as earning the Main Event at Mania he's only been around 6/7 Months.That must surely be a record for a Rumble winner.

Not quite, Yokozuna debuted Oct ’92 and won the ’93 Rumble, just under 3 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Remember seeing Del Rio for the first time last April in the O2, losing to Evan Bourne as “Dos Caras”.
    Certainly didn’t think I was looking at the next Rumble winner

Also, anyone else think Zack Ryder got a great pop, similar to the ones the Boston crowd were giving to “real” wrestlers like Regal, Bryan and Punk?
    I certainly got the impression they thought more of him that WWE gives him credit for, and I think he was pumped up by it when he hit the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

davrho wrote: »
    Does anyone have stats from the previous rumbles to compare the figures?

Okay, I decided to make a quick attempt at this.

I count 13 eliminated in under 2 minutes in 2011.

The following are based on wikipedia pages for the past 5 royal rumbles. Should be reliable enough.

2010 - 10 eliminated in under 2 minutes
    2009 - 7
    2008 - 6
    2007 - 2
    2006 - 7

And a few more chosen randomly:
    2002 - 7
    2001 - 7
    2000 - 7 (or 8 if you include Chris Jericho who lasted exactly 2 minutes)

1996 - 5
    1995 - 9

The average from those would be around 6.7 (lets say 7 :pac:), then when you add in 40 instead of 30 participants you could expect another couple due to sheer numbers, and possibly a couple more cos the average quality is likely to be lower with more jobbers there.

I'd say 10 or 11 would be an entirely reasonable figure for the 40 man rumble, and 13 is not unreasonable, shocking etc.

Hope that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did anyone else hear Josh say Gail Kim wasnt a girl :confused: when on about Bryan

I have to say for a moment at the end of rumble match I wanted Santino to win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cena wrote: »
    so is this guy going too be back for awhile. i'v not watched any since before christmas. keep forgetting about it.

is he? I thought he was only back for the night and then would work as an agent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Very, very unlikely he will be back. It is a Rumble tradition to have old wrestlers re-appear in a guest role.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wompa1 wrote: »
    is he? I thought he was only back for the night and then would work as an agent

Just so long as they don't let him near the writers room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

SPOILERS lads. Jesus Christ.

Moved to the royal rumble aftermath thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

gimmick wrote: »
    SPOILERS lads. Jesus Christ.

Wasn't me!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CMpunked wrote: »
    Booker T was a little disorientated, but i wouldnt go that far.

Between himself and Nash they lasted less than 4 minutes. For the pops of the night surely them lasting much longer would've been better for the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Between himself and Nash they lasted less than 4 minutes. For the pops of the night surely them lasting much longer would've been better for the show.

I was joking Jay, :pac:
    I read it like a tabloid heading.
    *wasted/drunk
    I do agree with above though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

OH ha ha ha i didnt even cop it!

jaysus was so cringeworthy watching Hornswoggle and Cena. I wish i was a kid i could've enjoyed that but since i'm not i didn't care for it.

Anyone realise Hornswoggle is doing Eugene's skit? Idiot that steals other people's moves and mannerisms? He even did the stunner. It would've been hilarious if he tried to chuck Cena out though.

I wish Sheamo gave him a proper boot to the face when eliminating him and sent him flying; instead of Polish Midget taking the safest elimination ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

jaykhunter wrote: »

I wish Sheamo gave him a proper boot to the face when eliminating him and sent him flying; instead of Polish Midget taking the safest elimination ever!

Like when JBL battered him and hit him with the bin at wm:pac:

Source

Kong was backstage at the RR - shame she didnt debut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Okay, I decided to make a quick attempt at this.

I count 13 eliminated in under 2 minutes in 2011.

The following are based on wikipedia pages for the past 5 royal rumbles. Should be reliable enough.

2010 - 10 eliminated in under 2 minutes
    2009 - 7
    2008 - 6
    2007 - 2
    2006 - 7

And a few more chosen randomly:
    2002 - 7
    2001 - 7
    2000 - 7 (or 8 if you include Chris Jericho who lasted exactly 2 minutes)

1996 - 5
    1995 - 9

The average from those would be around 6.7 (lets say 7 :pac:), then when you add in 40 instead of 30 participants you could expect another couple due to sheer numbers, and possibly a couple more cos the average quality is likely to be lower with more jobbers there.

I'd say 10 or 11 would be an entirely reasonable figure for the 40 man rumble, and 13 is not unreasonable, shocking etc.

Hope that helped.

As i suspected. Cheers.

Source

Royal Rumble Entrants:

1. CM Punk
    2. Daniel Bryan
    3. Justin Gabriel
    4. Zack Ryder
    5. William Regal
    6. Ted DiBiase
    7. John Morrison
    8. Yoshi Tatsu
    9. Husky Harris
    10. Chavo Guerrero
    11. Mark Henry
    12. JTG
    13. Michael McGillicutty
    14. Chris Masters
    15. David Otunga
    16. Tyler Reks
    17. Kozlov
    18. R-Truth
    19. Great Khali
    20. Mason Ryan
    21. Booker T
    22. John Cena
    23. Hornswoggle
    24. Tyson Kidd
    25. Heath Slater
    26. Kofi Kingston
    27. Jack Swagger
    28. Sheamus
    29. Rey Mysterio
    30. Wade Barrett
    31. Dolph Ziggler
    32. Kevin Nash (Diesel)
    33. Drew McIntyre
    34. Alex Riley
    35. Big Show
    36. Ezekiel Jackson
    37. Santino
    38. Alberto Del Rio
    39. Randy Orton
    40. Kane

Royal Rumble Eliminations:

1. Gabriel (via Bryan at 2:35)
    2. Ryder (via Bryan at 3:45)
    3. Regal (via DiBiase at 8:52)
    4. Chavo (via Henry at 15:05)
    5. Yoshi (via Henry at 15:34)
    6. JTG (via McG at 18:00)
    7. DiBiase (via Harris & McG at 18:51)
    8. Bryan (via Harris at 20:56)
    9. Masters (via Punk at 21:11)
    10. Morrison (via Nexus at 21:25)
    11. Henry (via Nexus at 21:50)
    12. Reks (via Nexus at 22:50)
    13. Kozlov (via Punk at 24:19)
    14. R-Truth (via Punk at 26:10)
    15. Husky (via Khali at 27:23)
    16. Khali (via Mason at 28:22)
    17. Booker (via Mason at 31:00)
    18. Ryan (via Cena at 32:35)
    19. Otunga (via Cena at 32:40)
    20. McGillicutty (via Cena at 32:41)
    21. Punk (via Cena at 35:20)
    22. Kidd (via Cena at 37:05)
    23. Slater (via Cena at 38:42)
    24. Hornswoggle (via Sheamus at 43:53)
    25. Swagger (via Rey at 45:35)
    26. Diesel (via Barrett at 52:22)
    27. Ziggler (via Show at 54:52)
    28. McIntyre (via Show at 55:18)
    29. Show (via Jackson at 55:33)
    30. Riley (via ??? at ???)
    31. Kingston (via Orton at 60:42)
    32. Sheamus (via Orton at 60:48)
    33. Jackson (via Kane at 62:35)
    34. Kane (via Rey at 63:29)
    35. Rey (via Barrett at 63:37)
    36. Cena (via Miz at 66:30)
    37. Orton (via Barrett at 68:37)
    38. Barrett (via Del Rio at 68:39)
    39. Santino (via Del Rio at 69:48)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

that was one of the worst rumbles ever - i mean santino (joke boy of wwe) as the last one out surely they could have left punk in there till the end

it started well with bryan and punk and i had high hopes but boy was i let down, as much as like del rio it would have been much better for punk or sheamus to win. sheamus's role in rumble was terrible and as for the fat arsed midget (who iis not funny) "comedy eugene skits" was a load of sh*te

poor nattie drops the belt to someone who cant wrestle

i gave it 1 out of 10 and that was for morrison's jump (why the hell he cant get the title for a bit and that gobsh*ite miz does is beyond me)

the wwe messed up with the cena and punk feud which now over already ffs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Giving them entry numbers dont mean a whole lot anymore.

Not at all, sure even in the 2005 Rumble (it all happened that year!) Kurt Angle beat up Nunzio and stole his Rumble entry.... I don't even know how thats possible, but there ya go!
    I used to love when people got their numbers on the raws running up to the RR. frown.gif

I actually prefer the way it is now, I find that when you know who is at what number the surprise is gone. I mean with 3 or 4 entrants left on Sunday, there were still 6 or 7 guys left to enter who were listed to enter so it does create some surprise. Plus the countdown and "who's it gonna be???" surprise trumps knowing who's entering where I think.

I agree with not knowing.
    In the pre thread I said that the rumble seems to be the only night in all 365 days where you don't know what's going to happen.
    Back in 2005 when the roster was full to the gills with brilliant wrestlers, eddie, angle, Brock etc you knew that most of the wrestlers who would be in the match would be top notch.
    I just think for today's standard some wrestlers should be given the numbers in a backstage segment. Like if Kane got his pick and was shown his no.40, when he came out and then got eliminated so quick couldve been used so well to boost whoever was to eliminate him.

Or even del rio, if we had've known what number he was I think they could have making a bigger deal about how he was going to win.

So did Riley eliminate himself :p:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That was a piss poor PPV. Really did not like the Rumble at all. Diesel and Booker T were nice bonuses but the climax was bollocks with Santino at the end.

Kinda glad it wasn't one of the usual superstars who won it. Del Rio is actually really good to watch. Not the best heel but his stuff in the ring is great.

The only decent thing about the Rumble match was Morrisson clinging onto the barrier. Cena eliminating all remaining Nexus members was just way too predictable.

I was personally hoping it would go down to Cena and Orton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

massive. a heel winner - perfect.

loved seeing booker and nash - they didnt get thei dues. ive been spoiler free so did nash injure himself.......... again (seemed so to us). LOVED the ending. didnt like das uber cena elw. iminating the nexus. hes booked ****ty, as are morrison and seamus. nice moves but jo-mo fo sho is not the finished article. me and a mate got talking tonight and YES to del rio. fukin massive yes. a great talnet. i wanna see him do it. morrison can, i dunno what it takes tho. a heel nswitch would be futile

e&oe :D realised my booze lvl :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So did Riley eliminate himself :p:confused:

The ruling on this has changed a few times. Probably to suit whatever agenda is in play. I think Randy savage "eliminated" himself in 1992, but as there was a plan for him at the end of that, he was allowed back in because no one threw him out. As I said, it has changed plenty times. That is just one example.

Anyway, the show itself. Thumbs veering up from me anyway.

I liked Edge Vs Ziggler, but I really hate the lazy booking of it. There was no reason for ref bumps and run ins. Dolph showed he belongs at the top end of the card performace wise. Not sure I can buy into Edge as a face at all though. That said, it was a good match. I would ahve enjoyed it more but for the cluster of an ending.

I skipepd the divas and Miz Orton.

The Rumble itself was odd, but I enjoyed it despite that moron posting spoilers in the streams thread the other day. I liked how they alluded to Punk Danielson being a dream internet match and how both men paid their dues in the "minor leagues". The introuduction of Regal made it all the better.

What I liked about this Rumble is how it furthered and developed some stories. Are we seeing the new big tag team in Sheamus and Drew?

Miz is a good heel, but having him on commentary for one of the biggest matches of the year was pathetic. Took from the occasion as such.

The end would have been better without the Santino nonsense, but it was still funny. Amazed Alberto won. But was very happy he did.

Based on 67 votes, so far the rumble has 5.9 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Based on 67 votes, so far the rumble has 5.9 out of 10.

thats about right (i gave it a 6)

I think some people (myself included) were fairly harsh on this PPV, when i cooled off i remembered there was alot of very good moments, edge vs ziggler was a great match, and the killswitch/unprettier finish was great!

Miz Orton was safe, and kindda boring but solid-ish, did well for me because of the shnakey look on punks face at the end, the smile before the gts was brilliant!

Divas match was a divas match.....was hoping for kong instead of eve but anytime nattieand layla can be seen together is a good time for me

the rumble itself was good - take out Mega Cena and Hornswaggle bollox and it would have been great!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just watched this last night.

Riley definitely botched. Cena and Kofi had him on the top rope trying to push him over. It looked like Riley was meant to stand on the apron and maybe hit them to get back in or something, but he slipped off it and fell outside. You could see Cena and Kofi looking at each other and saying something as if to say "Erm... What do we do now?". The Miz on commentary went very quiet for a while after it was discovered Riley was eliminated. Likely he was being fed the new instructions for eliminating Cena. I'd say Miz was originally meant to run in and eliminate Cena as Cena was eliminating Riley later on in the match, but was replaced with a run-in from Riley.

It definitely looked like a botch, especially from Cena and Kofi's reactions. Other than that, fairly meh overall. Some good bits like Morrisons jump, Chavo's 3 Amigos, Ezekiel and Mason Ryan looking very strong, Sheamus and Hornswoggle, Sheamus and Drew, Sheamus.

Bad bits: Booker T being thrown out in leas than 90 seconds, Orton doing loads of RKO's (as per usual), Hornswoggle, Cena demolishing Nexus to make room for a comedy bit with f*cking Hornswoggle, and of course, the Santino ending. My god...

seeing as all the chat has died down, the final 'rating' if you will, for the 2011 royal rumble is...

brrrr....

5.911 out of 10.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

From re reading some of the posts about the rumble I still don't get the negative ones. What did people want/expect from an over the top rope elimination match?

Well for me i seen it that they built up the rumble match so well. You had nexus/corre stuff going on, the winner wasnt really predictable at all this year and the possible returns of some big names were floating around prior to the ppv.

When the match itself started they started so well. With Punk and Bryan starting off, the factions tension too. It gave it a real old school feel.

Then somehow during the match, they completely destroyed all of that. In theory punk should have survived until the end. Having him in santinos position at the end. (but thats just my opinion) the wwe seemed to grind the brakes on the factions feud after starting the match off with it.
    Also as it was pointed out before, this RR match seemed to have some of the shortest staying times in the rr history.

As the match itself goes, it was alright, but it did not start how it seemed to go on. and that was a major disappointment.

• Advertisement

DM, your vote of ten has managed to bump the rating up from a 5.911 to a 5.971

Advertisement