Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble Aftermath thread - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

1296453796799.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I don't get why people are saying it's too soon for Del Rio, the guy is super over, can go in the ring and has prooven that he can hang with the big boys. Last night was the perfect time to give him the ball and run with it.

I hope your right.
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

People p*ss and moan about WWE being stale, but they still p*ss and moan when things get shaken up. Ye'd all be whinging if Orton or Cena had won it again, but when a fresh face (and an unbelieveably talented one at that) does it yeer still not happy!

Also were they hinting at Diesel/Show at Mania with the staredown after Diesel got booted out?

flahavaj wrote: »
    People p*ss and moan about WWE being stale, but they still p*ss and moan when things get shaken up. Ye'd all be whinging if Orton or Cena had won it again, but when a fresh face (and an unbelieveably talented one at that) does it yeer still not happy!

No one is happier that someone who hasnt won it before/someone new won it.

I just wish they made me think he was a threat before the rumble.
    Like i would have put him in the same category as mark henry beforehand, in the sense that he was being billed as a threat but not worth a dam when the match was actually on.

Thats just my opinion of it all. :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Jesus did I watch a different show to everyone else?

I thought it was a great rumble, and was the first one in years that the winner wasn't clear cut. The match had so many great moments. The brawl at the start, Punk vs Regal vs Bryan, Morrisons jump to the outside, "WE'RE GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA!!!", New Nexus dominating the first half of the Rumble, Sheamus destroying Hornswaggles face, Kevin Nash and Booker T, (Hell I even marked out for The Great Khali), Chavo hitting the three amigos over and over again and giving the vistory to someone that will benefit! The rumble is about making new stars and pushing someone into the biggest stage of their carreer, and it hasn't done that in ages. Last night they finally did.

I don't get why people are saying it's too soon for Del Rio, the guy is super over, can go in the ring and has prooven that he can hang with the big boys. Last night was the perfect time to give him the ball and run with it.

Overall I enjoyed the hell out of the Rumble, and it really felt like the ones I used to love as a kid.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,416 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CMpunked wrote: »

Like i would have put him in the same category as mark henry beforehand, in the sense that he was being billed as a threat but not worth a dam when the match was actually on.

I can't believe it has been planned for all that long, probably only booked yesterday morning...

it is only a couple of weeks ago he got laid out be a retired wrestler on RAW. Granted, it was HBK, but fact is he was made look weak just a couple of weeks ago.

It can't even, really, be used in the WM build up or as a WM feud - as HBK doesn't hold a title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I can't believe it has been planned for all that long, probably only booked yesterday morning...

it is only a couple of weeks ago he got laid out be a retired wrestler on RAW. Granted, it was HBK, but fact is he was made look weak just a couple of weeks ago.

It can't even, really, be used in the WM build up or as a WM feud - as HBK doesn't hold a title.

Getting sweet chin music from HBK doesn't make anyone look weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://twitter.com/johncena

The following is a new tweet from the official Twitter page of WWE Superstar John Cena:
    "CeNation. 1 thank you for all the help w the follow. 2 john morrison is legit. 3 hornswoggle is awsome......and 4... I tip my cap to the mizz. He got me. That's the bad news. The good news is it will not happen again. He is now on my radar. Tonight he basically said "im afraid of John Cena."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah I completely agree. If they'd put Del Rio in at maybe number 20 and had him last and survive for an extended period of time then wonderful. But realistically he lasted 12ish minutes, only a couple more than Hornswoggle did, and he only eliminated Orton and Marella; hardly the stuff of a hugely deserving iron man who worked his @rse off, and more the stuff of someone who was in the right place at the right time. And yes I know its billed as the match for opportunists but its not real, and therefore the winner should be booked to look strong and a threat at Mania, and Del Rio just wasn't.

I was surprised Cena or Orton didn't win when it was down to the last few, but that doesn't mean it was a success.

Diesel was wasted, and despite the opening pop he still looks very incapable.

Booker was wasted and just fed to Nexus, which neither built Nexus up anymore or did any favours for Booker.

Hornswaggle was an absolute waste of an entry and an abysmal 10 minutes.

The Santino entry was an absolute waste of an entry, yes it served a purpose of a comedy moment, but do you really want a comedy moment being the last and usually toughest Rumble elimination?

Very little Corre/Nexus interaction despite it being one of the biggest Raw stories pre-Rumble.

And then you have one of the most dominating Rumble entrants ever, Kane, being shoved in at the end of the Rumble so that Shawn Michaels Rumble record stayed intact, and he remained in for a pathetic 90 seconds.

The first 15 minutes were great, then the Nexus domination became a little overkill, then suddenly Super-Cena hulked up and made Nexus again look incompetant. Then the embarassing Hornswoggle time which came with poorly booked eliminations, overbooking Cena (Cena is so amazing that NOBODY in the Rumble could eliminate him) and then the eventual winner wasn't made to look strong enough.

I'm so glad I didn't spend money on this drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

All I can say is god help them..... I still have memory of wrestlemania x7 can u imagine how far away this years will be compared to that shame really.

It was 10 years ago, you are not remembering ancient history :pac:

Up until Cena cleared the Nexus members, the Rumble was on fire. Punk was excellent, the crowd was eating up everything he did. They really should have had him in the final 4 or at least until Barrett came out.

I thought it was shaping up to be a great Rumble match and it ended up as a good Rumble. Punk and Danielson were crucial to the early action and the crowd were very into them as expected. There were some great spots like Morrison's spiderman leap, Chavo's spot with the suplexes etc.

But the Punk/Nexus stuff was carrying the match and it didn't survive his elimination. Having SuperCena eliminate Nexus in the manner he did was (whilst typical) extremely disappointing. He could at least have dragged a few out of the ring and so forth, instead of simply just blowing through them 1 v 4. For anybody keeping notes, this is an example of how Cena's booking can ruin a faction!

Then the Cena/Hornswoggle crap started and it did go downhill from there for a while. Although it perked up once the ring filled up again. Whilst Santino doing his comedy spot at the end of the match was a joke, I'm very happy it was not Cena or Orton who won it.

Plus Booker and Nash tore the house down (please, please let that be the only appearance by Nash!)

He has been saying for the last month that it was his destiny to win it! He has been in WHC title matches. He has been built as a credible threat since day one. Much more than the likes of Henry etc. Whilst I thought Cena would win, I was very happily surprised to see this outcome. He has been built up very well over the last few months and it was nice to see the last push happen at the peak of the Rumble. Shame about the comedy ending though. I was against him winning the title last month, but winning the Rumble and getting a push until Mania is about right in my view.

Maybe not watching it live and watching the stream this morning has given me a clearer view of the event than the late-nighters :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

flahavaj wrote: »

Also were they hinting at Diesel/Show at Mania with the staredown after Diesel got booted out?

I don't think many people have a problem with a fresh face winning the Rumble, I think most people are pi$$ed off at the amount of comedy spots in the Rumble match (Hornswaggle and Santino spots) and certainly a few people thought Booker and Nash should have been given more time in the match.

I do however agree it did look like that they did hint at a Diesel/Show match at WM, but they are going to have to find a way to turn Diesel heel after the massive pop he got last night, and that would also mean that Diesel would be on Smackdown, not with his best mate Hunter on Raw.

I think the fact that he has been on appearing on both Raw and Smackdown for the last month was WWE's way of trying to tell the audience to buy into the fact that he was one of the potential favourites to win the Rumble.

WWE hardly ever has a heel win the Rumble (Del Rio may only be the 5th after Orton, McMahon, Flair, and Yokozuna), and they hardly ever have a newish guy win the Rumble, so the fact they gave it to Del Rio means that they think super-highly of him for 2011.

If anything, being featured in a spot with HBK elevated him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i predicted a del rio win so im delighted. the worst thing about the whole ppv was hornsworggle and cena it hurt my eyes :mad:

I think the Nash/Booker spots were perfect and were representative of previous surprise entries. I highly doubt there will be anything between Nash and Show. The only reason Nash would stay around is because of HHH, something WCW related at Mania (unlikely since he was Diesel) or they want him around for HBK's induction.

I imagine it is a one time deal much like RVD and others have made in the Rumble. People expect unexpected (if that is not a paradox!) entrants.

Booker T might stick around though. Again he would be handy to have around if they wish to do something WCW related at Mania.

Also, Edge/Ziggler was excellent. It is not getting enough praise!

ive admitted it before in earlier threads that i didnt know much of him.

My main knowledge of del rio was garnered through wednesday morning readings of the SD results.
    Then on saturday id watch the segments/matches that meant the most on youtube.

I make no apologies for not knowing who he was other than the few times i caught him on sd and at ppvs.
    What i wish though is that they made him look dominant within the actual match.

Eliminating Orton was a big moment.
    But it should have been followed up with having Punk roll back into the ring after been rolled out due to being in the match since the start, not frickin santino!
    (although, i will admit i marked out when santino got in the ring and tried eliminating alberto. Why? Because i got him in the pool. :cool:)
    But to reiterate, i think he should have made a few more serious 'moments'.
    I dont like to think that the winner of the rumbles biggest moment in the match was dodging a comedy wrestler at the end of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I'm sorry Colm but there is so much wrong with your post :(
    Woke up after two am, and caught the whole rumble match.... and it was fantastic! Easily the best rumble in years. The nexus/core brawl at the start was interesting, cm punk and daniel bryan was great fun, and then throwing regal into the mix, fantastic. ENjoyed the exchanges between Regal and Bryan. Morrisons jump to the barrier was a classic moment, no dout will be replayed to death.

It was possibly the worst booked Rumble in the last 10 years. It was too rushed and was evident in spots like when Miz was talking up Riley on commentary and didn't realise that he had been eliminated seconds earlier. I would have preferred a stand off between Del Rio and Orton at the end to really show off Del Rio. Tbh I hardly noticed him apart from his great entrance and throwing Santino out. The Nexus angle during the Rumble was great but Cena burrying them was the usual **** you'd expect from the writers. The start was great I will admit. Seeing Punk, Danielson, Morrison and Regal together was fantastic and Morrison was just _______ (no words to describe it!). If anybody deserved to win it was him!!!
    Chavo trying to hit the three amigos, built up very nicely and got a nice response from the crowd... Nexus dominating then was good fun, smart booking and went on for just long enough. Great to see Booker T get in. Punk shouting "We're going to wrestlemania" .. fun stuff. Then Cena in to clear the ring, and the comedy stuff with Hornswoggle, enjoyed it despite myself. Mini f5 on tyson kidd was great.

Chavo was great and the Nexus domination could have been done a bit better. They should have Barrett out after Cena as that would have made for an epic 3 way with Cena, Barrett and Punk all in the ring at the same time. Having Hornswoggle come in sums up what is wrong with the WWE nowadays. PG is not the issue, the writing is. You really think having a midget hit an AA on a young and upcoming star like Tyson Kidd is funny? And Tyson having to sell it?? No wonder there are no new main eventers in WWE if thats how they treat their young talent.
    Good to see the likes of Cena and Kingston being "friends" brings me back to the 80's .... half expect to see a cartoon made with all the good guys against all the bad guys. Then its back into a more routine rumble mode for a while, seamus eliminates hornswoggle, surprise entrance from Diesel (brilliant).

It's good to see Diesel and Booker back but I woulld have preferred to see them make more of an impact. I wouldn't say no to seeing Booker back fulltime.
    Missed the big show's entrance as I lost my feed, and pretty much missed his whole participation. Got the feed back just before Santino comes to the ring, then slips out under the bottom rope.

Don't buy Orton as a baby face, don't like him/his character. Better to be some kind of wild card tweener. Cena gets dumped out by Miz, which was very cool. Great bit at the end after Del Rio thought he won, Santino's head popping up and I was thnking "No Way ... .no effing way!"

Absolutely fantastic, and barely anyone skinned the cat, a move that was abused far too much in the last few years. I think it was last year where even Big Show did it. Which would have been fantastic to see, if everyone else and his mother wasn't doing it too.

I'm not a huge fan of the Miz and really don't want to see him and Cena main event Mania together. The whole Santino thing was worse than the Hornswoggle part. As MNG said HHH eliminated Angle, Lesnar eliminated the Undertaker and Cena eliminated HHH last. Having Del Rio eliminate Santino of all people is a joke. It took the shine off Del Rio's win as eliminating Orton last is a much bigger deal. They really need to leave out the comedy segments at such important moments like this.

You're entitled to your opinion CC but that was truely one of the worst Rumbles ever. I'm glad someone new won but would have preferred someone like Morrison ahead of Del Rio. I honestly think I won't be buying Mania if the card is gonna be like how I'm predicting it.

I think they booked Del Rio actual in-ring stuff pretty well for the Rumble. As Cole mentioned, number 27 was the most common number for a Rumble winner, so it is pretty common for somebody to come near the end and win. If the comedy spot had not happened, it would have been a much more satisfactory ending.

I would say that 40 entrants was too many. It showed how many duds there are on the roster. It did allow the Punk story to develop, but I would prefer if it went back to 30 next year. They effectively booked it as 2 different matches, the one with Punk and then the John Cena Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Listen the Rumble match was great and all but the undercard was absolute ****. It could have been a perfect Rumble and I could still only give the overall show a 8/10.

Great crowd and they marked out huge for Diesel and Booker. Disappointed how early Morrison and Punk were eliminated but holy **** was that Morrison jump great. Biggest mark out moment I've had in a long time.

But I don't think I can get into Del Rio as much as everybody else. He's a bit too old-school for my liking if that makes sense. Ricardo Rodriquez is so amazing at his job though that he is probably my favourite thing in wrestling after his NXT showing.

Hope to God we don't see an Orton/Cena/Miz match at Mania.

But I don't think I can get into Del Rio as much as everybody else. He's a bit too old-school for my liking if that makes sense. Ricardo Rodriquez is so amazing at his job though that he is probably my favourite thing in wrestling after his NXT showing.

I do agree with you in a way here. Not that he is old school, but that I have not seen too much from him in the ring. Many here are totally marking out for him for the past few months. I don't belong in that group, but it is still sensible enough to continue his push. I said this in the lead up to TLC too. But I'm still pretty happy with the result.

I highly doubt he will be last on at Mania, so I see it as a great chance to test him out in a big match. I can see Christian figuring somehow if Del Rio is against Edge at Mania. Maybe a shock turn by Christian on Edge to win it for Del Rio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Also, the comedy moments were absolutely brutally timed.

Drew Carey was a great comedy moment, short and at the start and actually funny.

What they did last night was nearly destroy the prestige of the company overnight. The Rumble is the one event that has steadfast survived over the years and last night they really nearly destroyed its legacy. Lets look at the last ten years "last men"...

2001: Big Show
    2002: Kurt Angle
    2003: The Undertaker
    2004: Big Show
    2005: John Cena
    2006: Randy Orton
    2007: Shawn Michaels
    2008: Triple H
    2009: Triple H
    2010: John Cena

2011: Santino.....

Says it all really.

I'm pretty sure nobody saw Santino at the end and started laughing but gave more of a "oh my god, you're kidding me" reaction.

They could have gotten the exact same reaction by having Santino show up the night after and complain that he was never eliminated and thus he is still in the Rumble, have an extremely quick match or an over-the-top rop one on one, and have Del Rio squash him. No damage done to your company's biggest and most recognisable match....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Ricardo Rodriquez is so amazing at his job though that he is probably my favourite thing in wrestling after his NXT showing.

What did he do on NXT?

I would put Santino's role as up there with Vince winning the Rumble as one of the worst Rumble ideas ever. If anybody was going to return after Del Rio eliminated Orton, it should have been Punk. Maybe Cena could have given him an AA through the commentators desk or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Charisteas wrote: »
    What did he do on NXT?
    Beat one of the rookies clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Wow, the Rumble PPV is really dividing people's opinions.

For me, the undercard was really good. Edge/Ziggler was a really good match, got the crowd into the match. Crowd died for Miz/Orton but it was an ok match. The Diva's match was no more than filler for PPV time for before the Rumble. Why does Eve has the title again?

The Rumble itself was hit and miss to me. I liked the Corre/Nexus confrontation before the match started. The Danielson/Punk/Regal bit was really nice to see. JoMo's jump to the barrier was amazing. Punk was awesome. When Nexus were eliminated, it definitely took away from the match. I hate Cena and I really hate Hornswoggle:mad::mad::mad: Booker and Diesel got huge reactions. Del Rio winning was a really nice change.

Fair dues to the WWE for one thing last night;

They got all the IWC buzzing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

That was the first PPV i've watched in ages and i actually really enjoyed it! Undercard was alright, Edge/Ziggler was actually a great match and Orton/Miz had a good ending, even though it was shockingly predictable.

Rumble itself was excellent, as always, though WWE could have done a few things a bit better imo, the hornswoggle thing turned into a total joke and Booker T and Diesel were underutilised. JoMo deserved to stay well into the 30s after his spiderman stunt though, that was unreal. The lad deserves a push after all this time but that's the way of the WWE, some lads get overlooked for years, just look at Kane pretty much up until last year. No HHH and Christian was maybe a missed opportunity too..

Pleased with Del Rio winning, but he needs to be further pushed now to where he squashes a few lads in the upcoming weeks to look a tougher prospect than he does atm. Great way to shake things up though. Can understand people being pissed that Cena lasted as long as he did, but it is Cena and the event was in Boston after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also, the comedy moments were absolutely brutally timed.

Drew Carey was a great comedy moment, short and at the start and actually funny.

What they did last night was nearly destroy the prestige of the company overnight. The Rumble is the one event that has steadfast survived over the years and last night they really nearly destroyed its legacy. Lets look at the last ten years "last men"...

2001: Big Show Kane
    2002: Kurt Angle
    2003: The Undertaker
    2004: Big Show
    2005: John Cena
    2006: Randy Orton
    2007: Shawn Michaels
    2008: Triple H
    2009: Triple H
    2010: John Cena

2011: Santino.....

Says it all really.

I'm pretty sure nobody saw Santino at the end and started laughing but gave more of a "oh my god, you're kidding me" reaction.

They could have gotten the exact same reaction by having Santino show up the night after and complain that he was never eliminated and thus he is still in the Rumble, have an extremely quick match or an over-the-top rop one on one, and have Del Rio squash him. No damage done to your company's biggest and most recognisable match....

Kane was last man in 2001. Big Show was 2000.

And speaking of 2001, that was my favourite Rumble. Sure, it had two comedy moments with Drew and Honky Tonk man, but they were fairly short and well timed. Middle of the rumble used to separate the hardcore first half and the actual contenders second half. Big men like Kane, Taker and Show were booked strong too, with Kane eliminating 11 guys.

Compare it to this one. Cena and ****ing Hornswoggle teaming up to eliminate people. Kane and Big Show doing f all. Booker T and Diesel, did they even eliminate anyone? Santino's comedy bit at the very end of the rumble. Funny? Maybe. But shouldn't have been the closing moments considering Santino holds the record for shortest Rumble entry ever a few years ago.

Sounds like it was all a bit of a joke to be honest. After the past few years with Cena, Orton and Edge winning, I'm glad Del Rio won. Huge push. But they threw away some huge potential with that rumble match

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

He was going around all the shows telling people he was going to win the Rumble. Mark Henry wasn't doing that. He was one of the top four ones most likely to win, with Cena, Punk, and Returning Triple H (who didn't).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I was at the Royal Rumble last night and it was good fun. I havent really followed WWE since i was a kid so i didnt really know any of the wrestlers. The first 3 fights were meh, but the Royal Rumble was good craic and created some good atomsphere. The Cena and Leprechaun chap bits were pretty funny.

My buddies and I were cheering for Sheamus the lad from Dublin and we decided if he won, we'd say fcuk work in the morning, we'll go on the lash for the night instead...unfortunately he didnt win and i'm in work less hungover than i should be. I was a bit disappointed to find out he was a bad guy and the one to throw out the Leprechaun but all in all he did alright.

Advertisement