Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promoting Each Other's Facebook Pages - mark II!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Super idea for a thread guys! Some great pages so far and I'm getting ideas as I like each one for different reasons.
    Here's mine http://www.facebook.com/pages/L5-iPhone-Remote/123325707736785 It's fairly new so any c&c welcomed.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bonkers1

Is there anywhere to promote your business on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rooster108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Just a question,

I liked 16 pages before posting my link (a week ago).

At the moment I have 9 likes on my page, two of which I can already account for.

It seems this thread is very firmly weighted in favour of the pages further up the thread, which barely seems fair.

What's the story, people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

-Chris- wrote: »
    Just a question,

I liked 16 pages before posting my link (a week ago).

At the moment I have 9 likes on my page, two of which I can already account for.

It seems this thread is very firmly weighted in favour of the pages further up the thread, which barely seems fair.

What's the story, people?

I'm one of those on there. I've just revisited your page and there doesn't seem to be a "suggest to friends" link on your page or perhaps I'm having a Stevie Wonder moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm getting a bit confused with the whole facebook pages thing myself.

Also, is there a way to comment on something using your page rather than personal profile? So for example, if the IKEA page says something, I'd like to comment as VanTasks as opposed to cormie (well, my personal profile!).

No you can't cormie, not unless you set up your company as an individual profile.

Thanks for that, if I did that though, it would just be a "friend" as opposed to having a like button and everything like that, yeah? So there wouldn't be the review section and everything on the page?

Nope and you'd have to confirm everybody as a friend rather then have people just "like" it and then be able to post.

Thanks for clearing that up, that's a bit annoying, would be handy if you could comment on pages your own page is a fan page of without it showing up as a personal comment.

• Advertisement

Yeah, damn facebook preventing our spam! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

robinph wrote: »
    From looking at the Facebook terms it appears that you are not allowed a personal account as well a a business account or they will kick you off. Is it possible to keep the business page created under you personal account completely seperate?

My real name is obviously not a secret to anyone that I'd be doing business with, but I don't want the two worlds to be connected.

Your allowed to have a FB account for yourself and a FB page for your business.

I liked everyone's so here is mine if everyone could like :D

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Water-4-You/123467047714252

Thanks,

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    No you can't cormie, not unless you set up your company as an individual profile.
    ... which is a breach of the FB T&C's, so not worth it imho.

You can add other pages to your 'favourite pages' on your business page, but you can't interact with others in the same ways you can with a profile. Having said that, FB are pushing to monitize the site as much as possible and business pages are to the fore of that, so who knows what changes will be made in the future (look at the recent page changes when merging a place page and business page).

With that, I just got an email saying that there's been an update for facebook pages. You can now post on other people's pages as your business page. Cormie, ask whether or not I'll win the euromillions please. :)

Just came here to post same :D
    Hi cormie,
    Facebook pages are getting an updated layout and several new features to help you engage with your fans. Here's some of what you'll be getting:
    # Notifications when fans interact with your page or posts
    # A place to showcase photos along the top of your page
    # A news feed for your page
    # The ability to Like and post on other pages as your page
    Preview your page and you'll be given the option to upgrade early. All pages will automatically be upgraded on March 10.
    Here is this week's summary for your Facebook Page:

Hows that for coincidence!

I've been messing about with my facebook page for the past hour actually and clicking the "preview" button in the email I got doesn't give me the opportunity to upgrade so I'm not sure how I can upgrade now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

Hi

good idea guys

I make handmade cake toppers.... based in Dublin

www.facebook.com/happycaketopper

mention on my wall that ur from boards n I will reciprocate the like!! xx

have been trying out the "use facebook as VanTasks" and it's exactly the way it should be really!

cormie wrote: »
    Hows that for coincidence!
    Heh, if I'd actually done my homework before commenting yesterday, there were some announcements around about this :o (that I was totally unaware of). Hopefully soon they'll also add the ability to remove competitor adds from your pages, that's a real gripe of mine with business pages.

Just take care in rushing for the upgrade/change. New releases always have a few initial bugs, this won't be any different. One that has already emerged, is an unintended change in tab size (from the 520 px width to a 493 px width). This is described by the FB team as a 'bug', so hopefully we'll see it revert again shortly. Not a big deal if you've a relatively simple page, but if you've spent time setting up custom tabs for the old size layouts then take care upgrading.

On the other side of it, be sure to keep an even closer eye on the management of your pages. This will no doubt lead to a surge in spammy crap from questionable page owners, so try not to let them hit your pages.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip, have actually been up most of the night adapting to the new set up :o

Have also adjusted the size of my custom tab down a bit as the 520 one I had was too big. I actually just started editing the page for the first time really since I had set it up months and months ago and it just so happened to be changed that very night so I was only getting started anyway! Almost done!

has anyone heard of FBML?

Can you all see my default landing page I want you to see? :D

www.facebook.com/VanTasks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

ronaneire wrote: »
    Your allowed to have a FB account for yourself and a FB page for your business.

I liked everyone's so here is mine if everyone could like :D

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Water-4-You/123467047714252

Thanks,

Ro

So much for liking other peoples FB page and asking for it to be liked. Thanks to the few who liked mine and I wait for everyone else to get clicking ;)

Folks, I'm just getting used to this facebook thingy, I thought the initial idea was to agree with a page owner you felt was relative to a few of your friends and suggest that page to the friends rather than liking every page linked, it seems facebook don't allow the suggesting (but I implemented somewhat of a solution on my page using FBML) which I think you can see on the landing page at www.facebook.com/VanTasks

Also, it's great now you're able to "like" pages as a business as opposed to on a personal level

ronaneire, I've just liked your page anyway ;)

ronaneire, can you see that VanTasks "likes" your page? I revisited it and it still only says 3 people like your page, which is I think the number it was before I liked it, but yet I don't have the option to like it again. I also don't see vantasks in other pages I like so maybe business likes don't show up?

Hey Cormie, I see that now, very odd. Maybe they don't. Odd.

but yet if you go to my page, you'll see it says I do like you? :confused:

I thought the initial idea was to agree with a page owner you felt was relative to a few of your friends and suggest that page to the friends rather than liking every page linked
    There was a little confusion early on, as this was added slightly later (I was one of the people who suggested the change to CZ).

It's unrealistic to expect someone posting on page 38 to like all previous posts, just as it's quite spammy and will irritate your friends. It's also unrealistic to expect someone who posted on page 2 to keep up to date with every new post, so the 'swap' seems a far better method (I'm sure there must be a smoother way to do it, but can't think of anything tbh).
    ...it seems facebook don't allow the suggesting (but I implemented somewhat of a solution on my page using FBML) which I think you can see on the landing page at www.facebook.com/VanTasks
    Do you see the 'share' option on the bottom left of each page Cormie? If you click that, there's an option to 'share via private message', which is basically a 'suggest to friends'.

Your landing page is working fine, I just landed on it. I'd take a little care with adapting for the 493px layout, as mentioned, FB themselves described it as a 'bug' so I wouldn't expect it to last.

but yet if you go to my page, you'll see it says I do like you? :confused:

Ha I believe you :p But my page shows up on yours, maybe facebook as it in for boards.ie :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply :)

I think since the landing page is just a graphic I have, if it goes back to 520, it'll still look ok, I hope :)

I think the share button is only posting it to my wall, as opposed to sending actual invitation using the invite box on my landing page, but I don't think that's working properly just yet..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement