Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Continuing Adventures of Catweazle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

catweazle wrote: »
    Besides that I scored myself a near new pair of Mavic Equipes + Gatorskin tyres for 200 euros so am pleased with that.

Are you sure about that? Has money being exchanged yet?

I think you may have just been gazumped:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Macanri wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Has money being exchanged yet?

I think you may have just been gazumped:p

Is McCutchie your alter ego Macanri :D

I had tried to buy a few things on adverts.ie about a year ago but there was very little on it, after spending about a week on ebay, I was pleasantly surprised with adverts. I was tempted to make an offer on the Bell TT Helmet that was going in there as well but maybe I should wait to have a TT bike first before I don one of those

Monday Evening: With lashing rain and howling wind outside the planned lunchtime run was out the window, I had not got the motivation to go up on the turbo after three hours yesterday so went off to the pool for an evening swim instead. Hoping to get back into the 3.3k sessions again on wednesday so I did a decent session of 2600m with two 4 x 100ms off 2.00. The first 100m was very quick for me around 1.41 so eased off a bit on the rest but was still coming in around mid to high 1.40s. This was a bit surprising as I didnt feel I was swimming that well. The last set was 4 x 100 off 2.30, even taking it very handy I was still coming in around the 1.55-1.57 mark. I am getting a slight stiffness on the left shoulder neck area after a 1/2 hour of swimming or so, I need to go to the chiropracter for a tune up I think

Tuesday Evening: An unexpected race report. With me being in town all day I was hoping to go out for a 8k tempo run around the local route. Pgibbo rings me with an entry for the 5k series. This sent me into a panic and I hedghed my bets and said I would ring him back. I can be a lazy whore and the pain of a 5k puts the fear of god in me every time. I eventually manned up rang back and gratefully accepted it, With little to no speed work done this year I decided a sub 22 minute effort would be acceptable.

Stuck in traffic on the way to Tuam I again decided to man up again for the second time and attempt to break the pb of 20.57 in last years Craughwell 5k. The little bit of tempo and duathlon work I did this year was still more than I did this time last year as all I did was marathon pace for Connemara last year. Although I have done nowhere near as much running I have done enough and with way more cycling and swimming behind me I am in good shape. Tuam was allegedly one of the faster courses in the series also. The main reason though is I have been pricking around with Daniels and his vdot and I have no recent time to base them on.

At the start I saw all the usual suspects from last year, the two lads from the club who I had all the battles with last year, they both did low 21 minutes in Athenry the week before and "The referee" who always beat me in the last 50 metres last year. A guy I have my eye on for this year "The banker" who was beating me at the duathlons was here as well.

Off we went and even though I started near the top I got held up and was weaving my way through slow traffic, I didnt stress, I am guilty of always going out too fast so I took it handy, I wanted to be around the 4.15 mark for the first three k. All I could think of was that I love these Zoots, feeling great. Pace 4.08 AHR = 147

2nd K had a nice downhill to it, I went past the referee here who looked comfortable and was joking with the marshalls. Pace 3.56 AHR 161

3rd K and I caught up to pgibbo who was taking it easy, I felt like someone who had sneaked up on a fly. Grunted a hello and next minute he took off like a train ahead of me. I glanced at the Garmin and became a bit disappointed here, I was at 4.23 pace and was working hard now, I didn't feel any drop off, things always seem to go pear shaped for me on the 3rd k, I gritted the teeth and got it back a little bit Pace 4.18 AHR = 174

4th K struggling now but also realise its only 8 minutes or so of pain, the uphill section finally comes in towards the end of this, its short and sharp rather than a long drag. 4.11 AHR = 179

5th K, no dropping the head now, I knew a pb was on if I could keep the wheels from falling off. The breathing was awful, people glancing nervously behind to see what the hell was coming after them. Just as I was coming up to a group of three I saw one was one of the club mates - this was just what I needed to keep pushing it to the end. I rounded the corner into the final straight, I heard a shout of encouragement from behind which I thought was directed at the other club mate who I hadn't seen earlier, pinned the ears back and went for the line, I was pipped at the post by some ginger bollox but I didnt care, I knew it was a massive pb for me 3.52 AHR = 182

Chip time 20.26 AHR = 166

A 31 second pb AAAWWWWWOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAA!

Looking at the results sheet the referee almost did his usual trick finishing directly behind me and the two club mates I reckon got pbs as well. The banker left me for dust - just off a sub 20 so a good day all round. Now the usual moaning, HR was not as high as i thought it would be, got it to 193 last year in Craughwell, was there more in me, certainly didnt feel like it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A 31 second pb AAAWWWWWOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAA!

Now the usual moaning, HR was not as high as......

I think this sums up every runner in existance :D

Well done on the PB!

Excellenté,

Nice report and Great running CW. You'll get that 'ginger bollox' next time. :D

At least you finished ahead of your other nemisis.

I can see sub 20 on the horizon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done on the PB. No reason why you can't crack sub 20 this series. A great event last night. I had forgotten what a good buzz those events were.

Stop moaning about your HR. :D You don't train with HR so the readings don't matter that much anyway.

BTW, the banker was going to stop and walk until I gave him a push in the back and talked him to the finish line for the last 800m or so. He had a severe stitch. So you can thank me for not catching him! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done CW, i have to laugh at all the nick names...."The Referee" "The Banker" and not to mention "The ginger b*ll*x":) Good running sub 20 around the corner.

Wednesday Lunch: Turbo Session - High cadence to stretch out the legs as they were stiff from the 5k

Thursday AM: Swim session - started back on the 3.3ks. Havent timed myself on the 200m in a long time but I knew I was quicker than what I had on the excel sheet so stuck down a 1.35. Makes me have to go 5 seconds quicker on everything. Held the main set ok 5 x 100 off 1.55, 5 x 100 off 2.05, 5 x 100 off 2.15, 5 x 100 off 2.25 and 5 x 100 off 2.25 Total 3200

Thursday Evening: Had to go into Tuam that evening so took advantage and ran around Knockma twice. Met Littlebug there but only realized it was her afterwards. I was taking it easy but some lad was bombing around it so picked it up a little as I didnt want to be humiliated by him. 3 or 4 running it tonight must be all the Gael forcers. 6.5k Pace - 5.49 AHR = 146 Max = 171

Friday Evening: Local route nice and easy as I was planning a lsr tomorrow. 8k 5.59 pace AHR = 130 Max = 142

Saturday AM: I was going to do the 160k Tour De Connemara but decided to help out with the clubs 8k race instead - drove by Pgibbo in the lashing rain so was happy with my decision until I arrived at Kilronan and realized I had the wrong day:o I wasn't too put out as I had planned to run in Oranmore anyways. I was going great guns in Oranmore until around 19k of the 24k planned, legs started getting stiff, heart rate was going up towards 170 and I was struggling to keep pace. I decided to run to 21k and stop then, luckily just before a nice hill which I walked up. 21k Pace - 5.26 AHR = 119 Max = 167 (AHR is wrong here, lost a heartbeat altogether for about 5 minutes)

Saturday Afternoon: I had planned a short OW swim but went to the pool instead, after a few kickboard sessions I binned it and just swam leisurely as my legs were wrecked 1500m

Sunday Afternoon: Tied up in the morning so the Lap of the Mask and the Club 8k marshalling were shelved. Recorded the Great Run and watched an old ITU triathlon on the turbo and did a long endurance session, found it ok beginning to hold the 120 hrs easier. AHR = 116 Max = 147 Did a short 5k brick session off it after at 5 min pace AHR = 151 Max = 161

Got the new wheels on the bike but the LBS also did a full service with new chains, gear cables, cassette etc. Felt like a new bike particularly as the middle gears were slipping a good bit under force, would want to be considering how much it cost :rolleyes:

You really did get your days mixed up. :D

The Tour of the Mask was on Saturday, not yesterday. Good day out by all accounts.

The Tour of Connemara was yesterday. Very tough due to strong winds. Apparently the food stops were pi$$ poor and the lads had to go in to a pub to get some bar food. A few of the lads did the 160km and were filling us in at swimming last night.

I thought that was you on Saturday alright. My hands and feet were numb from the cold at that stage. I couldn't even close my hands they were that bad. It took an age to thaw out too! This is May isn't it? :eek:

Are you doing the Lough Corrib Cycle on Sunday?

pgibbo wrote: »
    You really did get your days mixed up. :D

If I was 100% serious on doing one of them I probably would have had the dates nailed down. The poor weather promised put me off. I might do that cycle.....I am out the night before though so it would be too dangerous to commit now ;)

Might go out to watch the Triathlon in Spiddal too on saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Yo CW, just catching up. First of all-well done on the PB, great to see progress and wait until you see 19:xx, and I'm telling you, you will, you are dedicated and consistent and so long as you are patient and stick to it, you will!

So will I be seeing you in transition on Sat morning? I hope so....and I really hope you don't let the air out of my tyres this time-just not cool dude!

PS - Don't worry...I regularly get my days mixed up ;)

Not a great weeks training for me this week, being busy at work, bad weather and a generally tired feeling all week made me take it easy

Monday Evening: Swim 3000m mostly a kick based session with 5 x 100 off 4.25 at the end. The kick is always great when swimming freestyle after a kicking session, the legs were motoring me along even though they were wrecked

Tuesday Evening: 20k high cadence session on the turbo

Wednesday Evening: Swim endurance session 4 x 400 off 4.35 / 4 x 200 off 4.45 and a tough 4 x 100 off 2.05 at the end of the session. I had planned to do an hour on the turbo that night but after getting everything ready I just decided I was wrecked and binned it

Thursday Lunch: Finally a run and it was a poor one, I had planned a tempo session of around 8k but after 3ks of 4.45 pace I gave up as I was shattered and trotted home the last three 3k back to the house 6k Average pace 5.04

Thursday Evening: Turbo session -
    I was hesitant about this after the crap run but I was fine and pushed a decent pace AHR = 131/Max = 151

Friday AM: I backed out of the speed session this morning, I was tired and knew I would have done no good so with a round of golf that evening I took the fins and paddles for the first time this year and did 2000m of drills

Saturday AM:
    I never enjoyed the turbo so much this morning when I saw the weather outside - I was too late in signing up for Spiddal and I wasn't sorry when I saw the weather. By all accounts it was well run despite the weather so one for next year. Did a very easy turbo, read the paper for the first hour or so. Picked it up a little bit watching a useless GI Joe movie and started getting a bit antsy after 90 minutes of GI Joe and no sign of it finishing. The Leinster match was coming up but I decided to watch it in the local rather than head into town for it. Long three hour + session for me but took it very easy

Sunday: Again an easy run and cut back on the normal LSR distance. The legs seemed to be abck today, I think the 5k took a lot out of my legs last week. 13k @ 5.33 pace AHR 133

Off to Rodger Waters in the 02 tomorrow so wont be doing much training till wednesday unless I can get up early tomorrow. I am not very scientific about what I do training wise anyways so maybe the easy week or so I will put it down as a recovery week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I've enjoyed reading this but I do feel a little bit inadequate in that I do not have any true arch-nemises yet. Still, plenty of time and in my head I already do kind of have a couple. Just need some snappy nicknames for them. :D

I've enjoyed reading this but I do feel a little bit inadequate in that I do not have any true arch-nemises yet. Still, plenty of time and in my head I already do kind of have a couple. Just need some snappy nicknames for them. :D

You will get them soon enough, theres a small enough pool of us so you will see a lot of the same faces at each event

This constant wind is dragging me down, I cant remember the last day it was even relatively calm. I don't mind rain but I hate the wind.

Monday: Nothing - up in Dublin for the Roger Waters concert, after my disaster of a Jean Michel Jarre concert this was looking poor as well as the sound was awful, couldn't hear anything. Took advantage of the interval (Pints break) and squeezed up to the front, twas much better then. Great concert with the flying pig, giant headmaster etc etc. I let myself down after by commenting on why he didn't play Shine on, wish you were here etc when I was promptly told that this was just a performance of the Wall by some serious Floyd heads.

Tuesday Evening: After a big night on the beer, I forced myself into a small run that evening so I might have some chance of sleep. Sweated to a slow 5k run and that was it

Wednesday Evening: I finally had to bite the bullet and do the speed swim session that I have been putting off for a while. The session called for a 4 x 100 off 1.45, which would be 22 seconds faster than my 400m pb of 7.22. I dont know why but I had a good feeling that I would have a chance of making this so I kept waiting till I was fresh before having a go. Decided I would have to just have a go at it and stop skipping it. I seem to have reverted to a 2 stroke breathing strategy from my usual bilateral every time I need to do a quicker pace, i am not too concerned as I can still do the bilateral if needed. Anyways 7.10 for the 400m which I am pleased with as its a new pb but was still hoping for better, I wasnt too wrecked after it so maybe there is more in me. Held the 4 x 100 off 1.55 after it although it was a struggle.

Thursday Morning:
    Finally a decent run, timed it perfectly between showers and the wind was more a crosswind than a headwind today. Was wearing a few layers so HRM kept slipping down so no data 7.4k @ 4.48 pace.

Beginning to firm up some races

June 12th Galway Cope - I wasnt going to but he reduced the prices down so I was more inclined to go here than drive all the way to Louisburgh. This is very much a newbie race so I will be hoping for a good position to boost the confidence (need to get some OW sea swimming in though this year)

June 25th - Kilkee - entered

July 9th - Salthill Aquathon (Not entered yet)

July 25th - Humbert challenge - entered

Thursday Evening: 90 minute turbo session, AHR = 121 Max = 144. Tough session that I did last week felt a bit easier this week

Friday Lunch: 8k easy run was feeling very good during this run so was struggling to rein it in AHR=127 Max = 153 Pace 5.07 per km

Friday Evening: Struggled with this swim session, plenty of pull buoy and kicking and finished with a 8 x 1.55 which I didn't hold after the 6th loop

Saturday Afternoon: Was hoping to do a long bike session and set the alarm early but some family issues came up early in the am and bike was scratched. Everything worked out fine in the end but I was shattered so just did an easy hour before the rugby

Sunday: An easy turbo session in the morning with the Sunday papers resting on the drop bars followed by an 18k run at 5.21 pace. My heart rate monitor was spiking so I wouldn't trust the stats but it felt comfortable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Kind of regretting signing for TriBurgh, now that I've seen that I have to be there for 8am, and that COPE Galway is on the following weekend. Oh well!
    pgibbo wrote: »
    The Tour of Connemara was yesterday. Very tough due to strong winds. Apparently the food stops were pi$$ poor and the lads had to go in to a pub to get some bar food. A few of the lads did the 160km and were filling us in at swimming last night.
    Sorry to hear that, wasn't around myself so can't comment on the food stops. All I know that there was food for 250 people in the Station House hotel afterwards. The club is taking all feedback on board so as to iron out any problems during the event debut, and ensure a better event next year. I think one thing we learnt straight away is that you can't have enough volunteers...

Monday Evening: An easy swim session in Castlebar followed by a jacuzzi - 1200m

Tuesday Lunch: My strap on the Garmin broke so stuck it in the back pocket before the run today - ran a tempo run at a tough pace. 7.4k @ 4.36 pace AHR = 146 Max = 174

Tuesday Evening: Back to the swim sessions, more kick and pull buoy followed by 6 x 100 off 2.15 and 10 x 50 off 55 seconds

Wednesday Lunch: 8k easy run - Garmin battery went so no stats but I was trotting along anyways with a view to heading down to the Tri Lakes Time Trial tonight

Wednesday Evening: I have got lazy on the bike over the last month or so and I paid for it tonight. It was the same route as the first duathlon I did around Caherlistrane and I found it much tougher today. I was latish signing up so I was towards the end of the queue - nothing but fast guys behind me so I knew it would be a procession going past me.

Rider off every 30 seconds so off I went - the first 3k or so was flat but into a tasty headwind before I even turned off Tracey was past me :eek:. Things improved a bit then with the wind behind me and I could see I was hitting steady sub 2 kilometres. Another two lads went past me here.

Turned back into a crosswind, suffering now but still holding sub 2 minute ks, finally overtook some people here, 2 women and a fella and another lad went by me.

The last 4k were back into the headwind again and my pace was killed at this stage a 2.10 and a 2.09 in the middle of them, caught one more lad coming into the finishing straight

Came in at 33.16 for 17.61 k = 31.76 kph Heart Rate not very high which is a bit disappointing - legs gave way again AHR = 128 Max = 159

Thursday Lunch: Was heading down to Kildare for work and left my time short so only a 5k run. AHR = 119 Max = 145 Pace = 5.24

Friday Lunch:
    Again on the road so an 8 run at lunch, much to my displeasure a GAA launch held on the Friday of a bank holiday :mad:
    AHR = 138 Max= 156 Pace = 5.15

First two sunny days in ages and I was stuck in the car for the two of them

Saturday AM:
    A 70k ride with Pgibbo and another lad, they were taking it easy which suited me so it was much more comfortable than the previous time. A nice tailwind on the way back was great as well. Pace 27.9kph AHR = 111 Max = 136

Saturday Lunch: I got out later for a run around the local route 8k. Pace = 5.15 AHR = 124 Max = 161

Sunday AM: A visit to the mother offered me a chance to do a shortish circuit out around Spiddal. So Barna - Moycullen - Spiddal - Knocknacarra, 41k Pace = 27.5kph AHR = 109 Max = 147

Sunday AM:
    Got out for a brick run straight after for a change, legs were grand but I suppose I wasn't pushing the cycle. Down around Silver Strand and then up through Barna woods, was a nice change of scenery. 7.5 k @ 5.17 pace. AHR = 80 Max = 114 :D

Sunday Afternoon: I am conscious after last year to get a sea swim in before next weeks Cope Triathlon. Today wasn't much good, I would have saw more ripples in the bath than I did in Silver strand, flattest I ever saw it. Found it really cold and didn't warm up for quite a while. Did a few over and backs at a slow pace. Distance = 500m

Monday Morning:
    Swam down in Annaghdown Pier and it was the complete opposite to yesterday, had planned 1000ms but cut it in half as I was getting a right rollicking out there. Wasnt happy with the swim but will blame conditions for today, failed miserably to kick the legs at all. Distance 500ms. On another note maybe it was just me beginning to acclimatise but I found the lake warmer than the sea yesterday

Monday Afternoon:
    19k around Oranmore. I am running well lately I was expecting this to be a bit of a slog as I was tired but it was grand. Was comfortable enough, with strap still broken Garmin was in back pocket so I was pleased to see the average pace was sub 5.30 when I finished. Holding these comfortably now. A good pb in a 1/2 marathon may well be on. Pace 5.26 AHR = 129 Max = 154

This week I have been told is a recovery week - bro in law has me marked down for turf cutting/ turf turning / turf stacking every evening, I did a small bit of this last year and it was back breaking stuff so I doubt I will be doing much training along with this. Hope to get a few more morning OW swims in and some lunchtime work but doubt there will be anything done in the evening. Probably will suit me anyways with me being out in Galway Cope on sunday anyways

Must look at replacing battery in Garmin I am beginning to not trust it at low heart rates, goes a while sometimes without displaying any beat which is screwing my AHRs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great to see you've stopped fannying around on the turbo, it has its place yeah, but nothing better than getting out on the road and taking on the elements when thats what you have to race in.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Great to see you've stopped fannying around on the turbo, it has its place yeah, but nothing better than getting out on the road and taking on the elements when thats what you have to race in.

It's like talking to the wall kennyb3. The amount of times I've invited him along for a Saturday spin and all I get is "too windy, too wet, etc" :D

I was pleasantly surprised to see him on the roads on Saturday and Sunday last weekend. If the weather today is anything to go by, CW will be back on the turbo this weekend! ;)

Slagging aside, turbo or roads, at least he's clocking the miles and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey CW, you seem to be putting in good solid and consistent sessions. I'm sure you will see huge improvements this year. Looking forward to seeing you in Salthill on Sunday morning. I think it's save to say it will be raining and it will be windy-always is there! Delighted that the swim course has been altered as I don't want cutting up my new wet suit like last year!!

Pgibbo was right and I can assure you that the bike has been firmly slotted into the turbo since tuesday evening :D

With the turf cutting suspended due to the inclement weather I found the easy week tough going, feel I should be doing more as the turf situation will be just transferred to next week instead. I am hoping to give a good account of myself in the Galway Cope on Sunday so I have cut back to easy sessions all week. I really struggled in an open water swim on tuesday I found it hard to pace myself and went out way too fast so I have went down to the pier a good few times since

Tuesday Lunch: A nice easy run @ 5.40 pace AHR =127
    Tuesday Evening: A swim down in Annaghdown Pier, it was pretty choppy when I went in, flew out to the rock which is just under 300 metres but the flow of the water was against me on the way back, I was tired and started to get thrown around a bit with the waves so more open water practice needed to get the pace right. Total 500m

Wednesday Lunch: Back up on the turbo for an interval set, have done very few of these and was struggling hard at the end of it, main set was 10 x 30 seconds all out followed by 1 minute recovery AHR = 119 Max = 153

Wednesday Evening:
    Water was much calmer so a more relaxed swim, just wanted to get the full swim in without stopping. Enjoyed the swim so went off on another easy 200ms. Total 700m

Thursday Lunch: 8k easy run with a quick short burst in every km. HR was very high even though it didn't feel that hard so I would have my doubts about it. Pace = 5.03km AHR=138 Max = 185 :eek: (higher max than my recent 5k time)

Thursday Evening: Another choppy session in the lake - judging from what weather might be ahead on sunday this might have been a good session, seemed to be every 20-30 seconds a set of three or four big waves would hit me making me struggle for air Total 600m

Friday Lunch: An easy 3k down to the end of the road and back

Tomorrow I might try and get across and swim the route, looks like we will have to breathe to the left going across the bouys, I can do either but breathing to my right is by far the preferred option

First race of the year is sunday and I hope to do well in it, its known to be one for the newbies so I hope to get a decent place in this. Last year I didnt do so well in this had a crap swim and a desperate 1st transition so hopefully I will finish up much higher this year. Finished 77th out of 187 last year so to get in my top 25% ambition of races this year I will need to be inside the top 50, maybe less as I don't think they have as many entries this year. Lets push the boat out and go for a top 25 placing

Looking at the met.ie I am a little more hopeful that we will miss the worst of the weather on sunday :rolleyes:

Arch Nemesis Watch
    The Gaeilgeoir
    The Carpetbagger
    The Bookie
    The Banker
    The ex

A hour earlier and we might have slipped through the worst of the weather. Not racing much this year so will make the most of a race report with a long one :(

The morning was dry but it looked like rain was coming, around 8ish it started to rain and just got progressively worse as the hour ticked by. With El D needing to borrow a tri suit I needed to be on time, lo and behold El Ds Trinity was nestled in the number 1 spot ahead of Geraghtys and O Dowds mounts.

I was tempted to give him a Predator Tri suit and get the club a good spot in the finish positions but I gave him Lidls finest instead. Met a few more boardies as well, Ronanmac (The Gaeilgeoir) and noeloreid.

The swim had changed and I didnt like the look of the main stretch which seemed to be against the tide - looked a little short as well but I wasn't complaining about that given the conditions.

2 new nemesis' to the list, "the bookie" who I drew 1-1 with last year although he crucified me on this race last year and "the ex" who used to date my wife's best friend. The Ex used to be a tubby enough smoker but being single gave him a new lease of life in running, I hardly recognised him he had lost so much weight, a couple of low 3 hour marathons and I knew if he was near me on the run I would be in trouble.

I was beginning to regret my bold prediction of a top 25 position - there were a good few heads there I recognized and plenty of TT bikes so not as many newbies as I thought.

Walked up to the swim area chatting to the bookie - he reckoned he wasn't up too much and was hoping this would be the kick he needed to get going for Galway 70.3

Swim:
    Off we went I started off well, my sighting was poor with the waves and I went off course but I was going well driving through the waves, things went pear shaped turning left around the buoy and I started to struggle big time here. I was trying to stop getting frustrated as I could see plenty of others having the same trouble as me but there was plenty of breast stroking done at this stage. Started motoring again on the turn for home but went badly off course again and had to be guided in by a kayak. Smiled to myself when I got out of the water, the club mate was just in front of me. He was always out of the water quicker than me last year too so some things never change although I think I will get him yet, but I was a lot happier seeing him beside me, I couldnt have gone too bad so

There was about 100 metres up to transition and I let him and another lad pass ahead of me, I wanted a high ranking in the swim so I cant understand why I didn't go in faster than a trot.

The transition went much better than usual I tried leaving the shoes on the bike and I got out much quicker than usual (no leap of faith). Out of the corner of my eye leaving I saw The Gaeilgeoir and The Banker in transition so I knew I was going to be in trouble on the bike

Anyways
    2011: Swim 15.01 Rank 38/183
    2010: Swim 15.19 Rank 128/192

Bike:
    The bike start was pretty uneventful, it was teeming down now, not long into it just after Knocknacarra Cross, The Gaeilgeoir goes by me.....some terrible taunts and slurs came from his mouth as he went by, two others went by as well. :D. This got me going as I had a target ahead, they began to settle and I gradually was clawing them back. Nothing gave me greater pleasure all day than the small dig I got in re-passing him again. Their was a good tailwind and I was always able to push a big gear so I got around the half way ahead of them until back into the headwind they left me for dead. Coming home was tough but only one passed me. I made a balls of coming into transition I took off the right shoe coasting in and I had no feeling in it so could not get the foot on top of it. Did a stupid one footed pedal with the other shoe hitting the floor on each rotation - three people passed me over the last 100 metres including the banker :mad:

2010: Bike 41.32 70/192
    2011: Bike 39.17 48/183

Run:
    A poor enough transition, my feet were numb so had real trouble getting the shoes on, struggled for the first two kilometres, passing a few and got passed by one or two, wind and rain was tough into the face. The Banker just ahead wasnt moving well, looked like heavy legs from last weeks exertions so I was happy to go by him again. Once we hit the turnaround and the wind and rain with us I started to motor well, started to pass a good few, went by the bookie who was struggling on the way out. Got the last guy by Seapoint and ambled home, saw a 48...49 coming in on the clock so picked it up again to get it under what ever minute it was coming too. Came in and I was a bit annoyed over the run 21.37, I was relatively fresh, I let the two who overtook me at the start of the run off and they didn't finish too far in front of me. I needed to be a bit braver and suffer through the brick more and I would have beaten them too. Certainly I think I could have run a 20.xx if I had pushed harder

2010: Run: 22.56 47/192
    2011: Run: 21.37 29/183

2010: Total: 1.24.59 77/192
    2011: Total: 1.18.51 27/183
    Finishing % = 15.8%

Didn't get inside the top 25 but I am happy enough anyways, looking forward to a nice flat lake swim one of these days. Next outing is Hell of The West with another sea swim and all the uber triathletes so I will enjoy the high finish while I can. "The school friend", will be in that one so I expect no less than a major battle with him at that

Besides The Gaeilgeoir who finished in 13th all others vanquished, although The Banker will be much stronger when he is fresh and "the ex" after a terrible swim was faster than me on the bike and run so I might be on borrowed time there the way he trains

Good race - with the reduction down to 35 euros + 15 to charity I was happy with that price it was fair.

Excellent stuff CW. Great going, you made great improvements on the 2010 times and positions. Loved that report too.
    The Gaeilgeoir is having a good first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Arch Nemesis Watch
    The Gaeilgeoir
    The Carpetbagger
    The Bookie
    The Banker
    The ex

This sounds more like the cast from a West Dublin gang movie...

Well done on the progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done CW. That's some improvement in a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good progress from last year CW.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hammerheadjack

Nice report CW, After our chat earlier I said I'd check what you were up to on boards. didn't realise you were laying all bare so to speak. Roll on Kilkee and hopefully a bit of sun, Might see you at the tour de burren if you can tear yourself away from the turbo :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great report. Savage improvements on last year too.

Advertisement