Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Continuing Adventures of Catweazle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Sh!t man, get well soon. The back is a delicate part of the body for sure - very easy to hurt it. Hope it is near healed up for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Macanri wrote: »
    Sh!t man, get well soon. The back is a delicate part of the body for sure - very easy to hurt it. Hope it is near healed up for you now.

Nah I am grand Macanri thanks, i would guess it was more the drink than the back that was killing me

Tuesday Lunch: After a terrible night of the horrors monday night where I didnt sleep a wink with dts. I had modestly hoped to run the 8k route at 5.30 pace, held it for the first 5 and then slipped back to 6.00 for the last 3.

Damn you Currywursts, Schnitzels and all varieties of Austrian brew

Wednesday Lunch and Evening: Wind has got up around our area and I cant stand running our local route in wind as its too exposed. The turbo has been non existent recently so 2 helpings of easy 20ks and The Wire was more tempting for a change 40k

Thursday Lunch: Windy again so dodged the run. A meeting this evening so I went hard on the turbo, 5 easy, 5 hard repetitions. Hopefully the last of the beer sweated out of me, felt strong maybe all the picking myself off the floor on the snowboard gave me some help on the legs. 30k

The plan for the weekend.....Swim in the am, I want to knock out some kind of fast 10 mile + LSR. I dont even know if i can still sign up for Clarenbridge on the 20th but I am wasting my money if I cant see some type of chance of hitting sub 75 on it. I have London next week and that will be more drinking so I am thinking I have no chance

The last of the local duathlon series is on this weekend too, its up Knockma twice which is a complete bitch of a hill so I am tempted to turn out at this as I ran it a good bit over the icy period and it will be a good laugh to see uninformed people tear off up it before realizing this is pretty steep

On another note I am signed up for The Humbert!

A mixed bag today

Straight off I slept in this morning for the swim - first time this year - I didn't get home from a meeting last night till after 11 and with my minimum 2 hour wind down it was nearly 2am going to bed, with the shoulder problems later i might be as well off lying in.

I wanted to run quick and long today to blow off any cobwebs and to see was their any point in running Clarinbridge next weekend.

I started out at 4.30 pace and after the 1st km I had to slow right down as my back flared up again, a sharp pain in the shoulder blades. Once I got to a pace that my back stopped at me I kept at that pace so the next k was 5.47. At that stage I had enough and turned just after the bridge which would give me 5k when I got home.

The 3rd was 5.30 and my back seemed to be smoothing out so the 4th was 5 even and the last was back down at 4.37 pace with no issues

So maybe with a warm up I would have been ok :confused:

I will see how I feel tomorrow but maybe deep heat is the answer for a short while, I have had plenty of back trouble in the past but this doesn't seem like anything serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Ease back in gently would be my 2c. I was hit and miss with training in Feb and squeezed out a 79:xx in Ballycotton last week that I was actually satisfied with in the circumstances. Clarenbridge might be good for a run but I wouldn't bust something going for sub 75 if its not on. See how you're fixed this weekend after a few miles into the LSR and maybe turn it into a tempo run for the second half (when you've got the wind behind you ;)).

Saturday Afternoon: Well the deep Heat seemed to work no real issues with the run, I had hoped to do 18-20k around the usual route in Oranmore, but Mrs C after agreeing that she would be walking for about two hours out around there cut it short when she got a late appointment with the hairdressers. So finished up on just over 12k at 5.30 pace, I was happy enough it was a bit of slog

Sunday AM: Slept in for the duathlon this morning and when I legged out into the car the battery was flat, as Mrs C was going to go over and watch I had to jumpstart the car instead of taking hers. I arrived dog late but I was allowed to do a late register. A good turnout of maybe 60+ people for an extremely hard race

Run 1: I decided I was going to start out slow and try and hammer the bike, the first incline on Knockma as you come up to the crossroads is sneaky, put too much into that and the second incline will finish you. Passed a good few walking up this section but truth be told I wasn't much faster even though I was running. I didn't go all out coming back down the hill and came into T1 with splits of 6.17/6.09/4.38 and 4.14 (.8k)
    AHR = 155

T1: Probably a new transition PB of 5.44 :o. My helmet that had been in the bag since the last race, the strap settings seemed to have all gone askew and I couldn't get it long enough to get it over my head. I eventually gave it to one of the marshals and after a minute or so she got it working for me. I see there is a cycle sale in Lidl tomorrow, I will be checking out the helmets to see if they are easier than the one I have to put on, I need velcro straps at this rate

Bike: I found this bike course fairly tough, apart from a few k in the middle it seemed we were going into a stiff headwind for most of it and there were a few nasty hills on it. Passed a good few out, maybe 10:confused: on the way. Was surprised to see a 29.4k average for the 20k as I found this bike the hardest of the three duathlons I did, lots of gear changing.
    AHR=145

T2: Transition 1.49

Run 2: Running out of transition I was surprised to see Mrs C had a job of handing out the water, so I said I better stop for a quick glass and chat. I blew up on the steep hill and with the two in front of me walking and no-one behind me I said why not and walked up it. Started running again once we were up it and the brick had passed at this stage, caught the two lads on the downhill section and that was about it, no-one else around so I ambled home 7.47/6.20/4.24/4.16
    AHR=156

A tough but very enjoyable race, I would guess it was my worst finish of the three of them, but I am not too worried. A great series and idea from the two clubs and for a tenner for the 5 races it was terrific value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Excellent CW. Well done on what sounds like a tough tough race. After that hill/mountain it must have been really hard on the bike with your quads on fire! Tough races like that n the base period are great for mental and physical toughness IMO. Well done dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Excellent CW. Well done on what sounds like a tough tough race. After that hill/mountain it must have been really hard on the bike with your quads on fire! Tough races like that n the base period are great for mental and physical toughness IMO. Well done dude.

+1 - But get Mrs C to have tea and sandwiches ready for the next race - never mind this water craic!:D:p

Looking at that link posted in the SBR Challenge, I had a quick glance to see how I am going compared to last year.

March 17th 10:
    Swimming - 45,000
    Bike - 265k
    Run

March 17th 11:
    Swimming - 38,050
    Bike - 1180
    Run

Pretty much as expected although I am surprised with the little swimming I am getting in this year so far that I am not far off last year. The longer distances I am doing per session is keeping my stats reasonable. Happy enough with the cycling although again I have been poor lately and the running is way down but I had Connemara in April.

So going as planned so far, I feel much stronger on the bike but have nowhere near the same level of endurance on the run that I had last year at this point. The swimming I am not sure but I have put a lot of work into my kick (more later)

I have more or less decided to skip the Craughwell 10 this weekend, I have had only one long run over ten miles this year so far and the trip to London tomorrow wont help matters. Tomorrow wont be too bad with dinner and a musical but meeting friends on friday night so that will be a late one. You can register on the morning anyways so if I get a rush of blood I will head over.

Monday Evening: Working up in the office today so all I had planned was a quick swim on the way home so Wednesdays session wouldn't be so bad. 1200 metres - felt great for some reason. No watch but I was moving well. I then decided to throw in 5 x 50 on kickboard before I went. This was interesting, my speedometer (speed of tiles moving below me) were much quicker than normal and I could feel some real forward momentum as I was kicking opposed to inching forward. Maybe the weeks snowboarding did me some good :confused:

Tuesday Morning: This was going to be a long days traveling with meetings in Donegal and then over to Armagh for another meeting that didn't happen till 9.15 :mad:. I went for a run around the local route so 8k at 5.02 pace. AHR=154. My wednesday morning swim was swiftly cancelled as I didn't get home till almost 2am. Had a decision to stay up and watch the London Triathlon on C4 but recorded it instead.

Wednesday Lunch: With the late night the previous night I felt I was entitled to stretch my run out this afternoon so 13k at 5.21 pace AHR = 154. It was a bit of a struggle and probably made my mind up about Craughwell if 13ks of 5.21 feels hard, what would 16ks of 4.39 be like.

Ha, I see we had the same idea today CW re comparing today with this time last year. Great stuff on the bike so far dude and indeed the other two disciplines-really impressive stuff.

Nothing done thursday, friday or saturday with me and Mrs C over in London. Went to The Phantom of the Opera on thursday night and for someone that was sceptical enough on whether I would enjoy it i thought it was fantastic.

As Mrs C was there to shop I decided to jump on the bandwagon and started to look for a Triathlon shop. I had a pair of runners and a hydration bag in mind. Wanting to try a new brand of runner I had Saucony on my mind, didn't come across them but got my hands on a pair of Zoot for 40 sterling.

Sunday Afternoon: After a late night friday and a few unplanned pints on saturday afternoon/evening before we flew back, Clarinbridge was long out the window. Went out around Annaghdown for a comfy 20k at 5.40 pace AHR = 136

• Advertisement

Monday AM: I should be back regularly in the pool hopefully for a while now. For a change I was delighted to see the plan was a very much a kick orientated session with 700ms of kickboard in it. I wasnt confident about my swimming times so a sufferfest was preferable to a demoralising session of failed times
    2100m

Monday Pm: I should have gone out on the bike but the new pair of Zoots were begging me to take them out. This was meant to be a recovery run after yesterdays 20k and the legs were tired from the morning swim. But I scooted along with the shoes, great bounce from them. I was beginning to feel the pace so I was delighted to see Pgibbo and used him as an excuse to take a break. I really struggled after that, felt the energy drain right out from under me 8k

Tuesday Lunch: Another cracking day so a turbo session benched again today in favour of a tempo run. I was planning on 5k at 4.30ish pace but I parked it after 3 as I was really struggling again. Deffo no run on wednesday. 8k

Wednesday AM Swim: I wasn't looking forward to this session as there was plenty of prescribed times in the sets. The first bit of main set wasn't great and I struggled to make 4 x 50 off 1.05, then there were the kickboard and catchup sessions. The next bit was 4 x 50 off 55 seconds, I didn't expect to hold this so I just swam hard for the 200ms, my stroke was faster than usual and halfway through it I was thinking this wasn't too bad. Came in on 3.43 so I was happy enough. The last bit was 4 x 100 off 2.05, the stroke was slower again than earlier but I came in at just over 8 minutes so I was delighted that I have some endurance left after my break. I was going to do another round of the 2.3k sessions but I might go for broke and have a crack at the 3.3 sessions instead although the first session is a nightmare on that (400m warm ups :eek:). I would like to have at least one of those 3.3 plans those behind me before Spiddal at the end of May as I hope to start open water swimming in late April early May (Lake is much nearer than pool) 1800m

Wednesday Lunch:
    For a fair weather cyclist who never sticks his nose out the door till May I was fairly tempted to cycle outside today but I am close to finishing out series 4 of The Wire so upstairs I went. Did a pyramid session in big gears 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey CW just catching up on your blog, some good work going on there this year and I'd estimate some much improved performances this summer! Mind how you go swapping out session like turbo vs tempo run. They have very different effect on the legs so with the freuency of sessions you are putting in, weight the decision up with the week in mind.

I'm signed up for Spiddal too. Are you doing the sprint or Olympic. Glad someone is making use of that SBR update thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good solid week so far CW. Your swim times are really coming on too. Happy days.

Nice Zoots and a bargain too :cool:

Must find out tomorrow if I can do Spiddal somehow. I'm supposed to be working but will try to get a few hours off to do it. :)

I'm signed up for Spiddal too. Are you doing the sprint or Olympic. Glad someone is making use of that SBR update thread wink.gif

I haven't decided yet, I did the Joey Olympic last year and I swore after it I would start off the year with a sprint the next time, but I suppose with a 1/2 Ironman in July I really should be looking at the Olympic. I will decide closer to the date, I will need to get some sea swims in, I did Galway Cope last year and I really struggled with the swell. You should go very well at that with all the training you are doing, what priority are you giving it?
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Must find out tomorrow if I can do Spiddal somehow. I'm supposed to be working but will try to get a few hours off to do it. :)

Looks like some chopping and changing and some promises needed, have you any shorter distances in mind besides Spiddal and Kilkee. That will probably be it for me depending on holidays in August

Thursday Evening: Finagled a late meeting in Galway City so headed out the prom after, going to a dinner party on saturday which will be late so I am guessing Sunday will be out so I ran 15k at 5.28 pace. Great weather for the run and there were loads out jogging

Friday Morning: A 400m swim Time trial, a bit non-plussed about it, 7.42.....5 seconds slower than the last time I did one. I did a 1.40 first 100m so easy knowing what happened to my stamina after that :rolleyes: Total distance 1050m

Saturday:
    Was hoping to do a 60k cycle but circumstances forced me to cut it short at 30k. A deal on 2 Lawnmowers went pear shaped when the mother in laws fancy key start mower didnt work so I had to bring mine over and do her lawn as well. Went out for a quick 8k that evening but after 2k a loss of feeling in my right ankle made me hobble home. Catweazle isn't used to cutting one lawn let alone 2

Sunday: As expected severely hungover so the day was a write off

Monday Lunch:
    After a night of sleep horrors I decided to cut my first attempt at a 3500m swim session plan and went out for a run at lunchtime instead, took it handy but no problems with the ankle.

Monday Evening: My first go at the longer distance sessions, it wasn't too bad, the harder stuff was at the start. The main set was 5x100 off 2.00, 5x100 off 2.10, 5x100 off 2.20 and 5x100 off 2.30. I held the 2 minutes ok and the others were grand as well, even when I am trying to slow down I seem to be not much more than between 2.05/2.10 for each 100. Total 3500m

A dinner party - what age are you, 60? :D

catweazle wrote: »
    Looks like some chopping and changing and some promises needed, have you any shorter distances in mind besides Spiddal and Kilkee. That will probably be it for me depending on holidays in August

Doubtful that I'll be travelling too far for any SD or OLY races this year. There's the Aquathon in Sathill this year that is being run by GTC. I'll probably do that too.

A dinner party - what age are you, 60? :D

So thats why you haven't been over for dinner yet ;)

It was little P Geraghty and his new missus that was over so needless to say the dinner wasn't the priority but the party was certainly on his mind

Well CW, looks like you are progressing nicely. There will be a few of us it seems in Spiddal this May so that should be fun, I'm planning on hitting Galway after for a bit of craic too. Nice long swim session there too dude, I wouldn't mind about the slower 400 TT, you just went out to fast instead of building up the pace gradually imo.

I hate cutting lawns too!

There will be a few of us it seems in Spiddal this May so that should be fun, I'm planning on hitting Galway after for a bit of craic too.

Ya looks like 4 or 5 from boards will be at it, still haven't decided what I will do on the day but time enough for that closer to the date!

• Advertisement

So thats why you haven't been over for dinner yet ;)

I never say no to the offer of free grub! :D

How are you today after the long swim?

How are you today after the long swim?

Not too bad, although a flat battery in the car again stopped me going this morning, just got it replaced so will go out tomorrow if I can work around a funeral in Westport I have to go to. Hoping to make the missed session up with a rare swim outing over the weekend if I can work around the bloody lawns again.

Ye might not be a bad choice for dinner these days as regards training the following morning, I cant see myself and Mrs C getting too wasted with the two teetotalers looking on at us in pity (and maybe jealously in Mrs Gibbos part) :D

Tuesday Lunch: A little bit better today than last week, did another tempo run of 4k at 4.30 pace, stepped it back for a few k after and then did one last k at 4.48 pace - Total 8k AHR-153

Tuesday Evening: An easy 30k on the bike, went down on the tri bars for 20 minutes

Wednesday: Too windy to go outside so 30k in big gears

Thursday AM:3000m swim - Loads of kickboard in this - it seemed to get easier the further into the set I went - I must have been skiving.

Friday
    - Hoped to do a lunchtime run but was too busy in work to do anything

Saturday AM: I wanted to make up the swim session I missed on wednesday so a rare weekend outing. Packed with kids but I got a lane. I usually leave the Garmin at the side of the pool but with so many kids around I couldnt relax and checked it every length as I was going by I must get a cheap digital for the pool. This was an endurance session which I held up pretty well in, the times weren't taxing but it was the most distance I have ever done 3600m
    400m Warm Up
    4 x 400m off 9.55 (8.24/8.22/8.19/8.17)
    4 x 200m off 4.55 (all in between 4.10 and 4.15)
    4 x 100m off 2.10 (swam this non stop arrived in at 8.38)
    400 Warm down

I took out of this I am a comfortable 2.05 for 100m swimmer, I never seemed to waver from this pace throughout

Saturday Evening:
    10 minutes easy 10 minute hard Turbo session 60k. Was hoping to do longer but left it late and wanted to see the rugby

Sunday Lunch: Out to the mother with the annual mothers day house plant. My good deed done I headed off down the prom. While the Heart rate seemed very low my legs were very heavy and the second half was a slog averaged 5.51 pace k's. I misjudged the distance trudging around Bearna Woods so I ended up going over by 3k. Longest I have ran since Connemara last year 23k AHR = 133. Very stiff tonight, I am beginning to get suspicious of my Lunar Glides as I was struggling on I couldn't remember any time I was bouncing around in them since i got them. Probably just tiredness talking

One of the lads mentioned he thought he spotted you running the prom alright but wasn't sure. Figured you in to Mammy alright and got a run in to boot! :D

Good day for Predator yesterday in Donegal

Good day for Predator yesterday in Donegal

Yes they have an interview with her after the race on Triathlon Ireland website, fair play to her!

Monday Evening: I was as stiff as a poker from the LSR the previous day so cancelled the swim session and did an easy session on the turbo in the evening. 30k

Tuesday: Nothing - Working down the country

Wednesday Lunch: Tempo run - stretched it out an extra kilometre from last week so 5k at .4.38 - 8k total

Wednesday Evening: Todays swim plan was a speed session so I didnt want to do this monday on tired legs. The main piece was 4 x 100 off 1.50. My last 400m TT was 7.42 so I needed to do the 4 x 100 in 7.20 :rolleyes:

Started off controlled and I knew I was going well, picked up the pace at half way and was all out by lap 14 of 16. I cut the legs off a young one who foolishly had to swim into the lane to get her ball (damn public pool) and coming in for the finish her mother was blocking my access to stop my watch at the side of the pool so I would guess I gave her a fright when I lunged straight at her to reach behind and stop the watch.

7.22 a new pb :D Well happy and think there's more in me, I could maybe have gone for it at lap 12, so i am beginning to see some progress. The swimming focus that the plans have given me are a huge help for motivation

Total distance 2400m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great progress on the swimming, Catweazle. Fair play (even if it did involve beating up children and mothers :))

Well done on the PB. :cool:

However, I think you're missing the point of the session but I'll defer to "interested" for his comments. When doing 4x100 off 1:50, there should be a break after each 100. If you can't do that, then you should re-adjust the set accordingly. I believe the guidlines that were mentioned before were 10 to 15 seconds rest between each 100. 20 is seen as too much I believe. Just a thought

BTW, I can get you a Connemarathon entry if you fancy it :eek:

You might well be right, interested excels sheets are expecting too much from me with their computations ;). However theres loads of other 4/8/12 x 100ms in the sessions that I am getting a break in so I will take a rare TT pb when I get it.

Connemara :eek: I better be careful with what I wish for..........with the good weather promised this weekend I cant think of anywhere I would rather not be than Connemara. I would have nowhere near the run endurance for it at the moment so its a guaranteed crash and burn session i will gladly miss.

Hows the knee?

• Advertisement

Connemara :eek: I better be careful with what I wish for..........with the good weather promised this weekend I cant think of anywhere I would rather not be than Connemara. I would have nowhere near the run endurance for it at the moment so its a guaranteed crash and burn session i will gladly miss.

Hows the knee?

You could always do the half. I recall last year that they were allowing transfers at registration. :D

The knee is getting there, touch wood. Running seems alright so far and the bike is getting there slowly but surely. Happy with the progress. Just need to make sure it doesn't re-occur! :)

Are you tempted to do the TT tonight in Mayo?

BTW, OW swim at Killbeg Pier on May 28th. I'll pass on the details once I have them. It's a lovely swim.

Advertisement