Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW reliability and reputation

Options
  • 28-01-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

If the warnings on here are anything to go by, VW have serious reliability issues. Multiple endemic and hugely expensive design flaws seem to plague both the Golf and the Passat.

And anecdotally, from 'direct' second hand experience (ie. from people I actually know in the 'real' world), they seem to be the most fault prone car on the road.

My father and uncle both finished their love affairs with golfs are 15/20 years of buying them after they both had fault plagued models (a 1999 petrol model finished my dad off and a 2005 diesel finished my uncle off on golfs and VW). A guy in work has a similar story and my first cousin has had a mass of tragically hilarious problems with her golf.

I haven't seen any other car brand with such issues (bar a friend with a Renault Clio which has been created by Satan to destroy his sanity - but that's a complete banger).

If these problems are so pervasive, why have they not hit VWs reputation? Why do VWs still retain their value so well?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm not so sure that that is the opinion of everybody on VW's. Personally I am on my third golf, first being a 97 1.4 baseline petrol that I had for a year with zero problems. Second was a 00 comfortline 1.6 petrol that I had for a little over a year and the only problem I had with it was a small one with the clutch that cost 250 to repair from my local indie. Finally I am on my 3rd for the last year and 3 months which is an 08 1.4 tsi and I have had zero complaints with this one.

As long as you do your homework and make sure you are buying a clean car, whatever the make and model you should come out ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Interestingly Renault came clean a few years back and very publicly announced a new effort to improve quality and reliability. This seems to be working judging by their position in reliability surveys.

I feel that VW have exactly the same issues, but due to their reputation and marketing they can never admit their products are anything other than faultless. So you have a big divergence between owner experience and the what the brand is telling is. If VW were a bit more honest, and actually worked to improve things then I would respect the brand more. But they are not so I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I have to say I agree with the op.

My own experience with a '99 passat I had a few years ago was fairly terrible.

Leaking water to the footwells where underneath lies the ECU of things!

Window regulator problems to beat the band.

At least the engine was reliable though. 1.9TDI. Was fast as well with 2 red letters as far as I remember.

The engine would have done 300,000 but the car was falling apart!

edit... ironically enough I bought an Alfa GT since and have had no problems. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

I have a 02 gti at the moment & have had it for the past 3 years with a bit of a love hate relationship with it. It has given problems in the past, some the cars fault some mine.

I only had it about 3 months and had to serve to avoid a massive pothole only to hit a lump of concrete on the road and it ripped the sump out.:mad: That cost a bit to put right.

Last year doing a run dublin to sligo, just left sligo town put the clutch down and snap! Was lucky it wasn't the actual clutch that went as that would of been well expensive but it was the pedal linkage or something like that (not very mechanically minded sorry) and that cost about a ton to sort out. I was blessed a mate had a trailer to put the car on as a tow truck was setting me back about 350-400 euro to get it back to dublin as the VW garage in sligo could not repair it for at least 3 days.

During the cold snap the windows froze and I went to let down the passenger window but it was jammed.Didn't think much of it until the next day when I let it down and it wouldn't go back up. Bought it down to my garage and he told me I probably bust the hinges the window sits on but wouldn't know for sure 'til he opened it up. He said if it is the case, it pretty pricey to fix so the passenger window doesn't work for now.

The engine warning light was on at the same time so he hooked it up to the PC got the error code and told me he would have to look it up to see the problem. Anyway don't know what he done but he managed to knock off the warning light without doing anything. Happy days. Only it came back on there few days ago so suppose better get it back to him.

The air con went bang a year into having it, and the part that needs replacing was priced by mechanic at around 400-500 euro! Whatever part it is I dont need it so no air con:(

So thats about all my problems with a gti, in comparsion to my last car, a boring corolla it is troublesome but the corolla was absolute bulletproof you just couldnt kill it (& I tried). But its all relative and for the length of time I've had it I think it's been all good, mostly!

Would I buy another gti? Yep, there are lovely to drive, nice bit of poke out of them when you need it, nice and comfy inside so thumbs up overall. Just be prepared to take the bitter with the sweet...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Two VWs (Passat and Caddy van) and an Audi A3 in our household over the past 5 years, both VWs had gearbox failure and the A3 had MAF issues the dealer simply couldn't fix :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Firstly no manufacturer is free from sin at the moment imo...

I've worked on a 2006 VW Golf GT TDI (hope I got the letters all correct) for a family friend 4 times in an 18 month period due to diag faults. Misc problems but in that 18 month window he had the turbo replaced twice.

Now the same lad did drive the nuts off the car but 2 turbos in 18 months? Hmmmm?? It looked like an oil starvation problem. We never got to the bottom of it, as he sold the car on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Not sure if it's a common fault or just a unique safety feature

3 of my friends who've had mk IV golfs ( a 99' 1.4, 03' TDi car/van, 02' 1.8t)
    all had the central locking activate itself and their keys locked into the cars

I witnessed one case, he had the engine running waiting for the windscreen to de-freeze and got out to talk to the rest of us

With the other two cases I don't know if the engine was running but they'd the re-entry scars to prove it had happened

Considering buying a Jetta next year off the likes of Autoquake once they have 08/58 reg cars at good prices so I'll be paying a lot of attention to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

The feel of quality is a bit better than in the equivalent Peugeot, for example. Maybe a bit more rugged interior.
    Mechanically the same, but users have higher expectation and are unpleasantly surprised.

I was pissed off at VW Ireland for not covering the metal fuel hose which broke and peed juice all over the turbo and manifold. It was completely covered in US. And the guaruntees are much better there too.
    If they had a decent Guaruntee then it would be ok money for their cars, as it is the asians have it all over them it seems.

Bottom line, ok but too expensive for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

the varg wrote: »
    I have a 02 gti at the moment & have had it for the past 3 years with a bit of a love hate relationship with it. It has given problems in the past, some the cars fault some mine.

I only had it about 3 months and had to serve to avoid a massive pothole only to hit a lump of concrete on the road and it ripped the sump out.:mad: That cost a bit to put right.

Last year doing a run dublin to sligo, just left sligo town put the clutch down and snap! Was lucky it wasn't the actual clutch that went as that would of been well expensive but it was the pedal linkage or something like that (not very mechanically minded sorry) and that cost about a ton to sort out. I was blessed a mate had a trailer to put the car on as a tow truck was setting me back about 350-400 euro to get it back to dublin as the VW garage in sligo could not repair it for at least 3 days.

During the cold snap the windows froze and I went to let down the passenger window but it was jammed.Didn't think much of it until the next day when I let it down and it wouldn't go back up. Bought it down to my garage and he told me I probably bust the hinges the window sits on but wouldn't know for sure 'til he opened it up. He said if it is the case, it pretty pricey to fix so the passenger window doesn't work for now.

The engine warning light was on at the same time so he hooked it up to the PC got the error code and told me he would have to look it up to see the problem. Anyway don't know what he done but he managed to knock off the warning light without doing anything. Happy days. Only it came back on there few days ago so suppose better get it back to him.

The air con went bang a year into having it, and the part that needs replacing was priced by mechanic at around 400-500 euro! Whatever part it is I dont need it so no air con:(

So thats about all my problems with a gti, in comparsion to my last car, a boring corolla it is troublesome but the corolla was absolute bulletproof you just couldnt kill it (& I tried). But its all relative and for the length of time I've had it I think it's been all good, mostly!

Would I buy another gti? Yep, there are lovely to drive, nice bit of poke out of them when you need it, nice and comfy inside so thumbs up overall. Just be prepared to take the bitter with the sweet...

I'm no VW fan but in fairness the sump v's concrete lump and the frozen window problems are user errors and can't be attributed to VW. It's a common no-no to try to use electric windows on any car when they're frozen otherwise you risk snapping something.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I'm no VW fan but in fairness the sump v's concrete lump and the frozen window problems are user errors and can't be attributed to VW. It's a common no-no to try to use electric windows on any car when they're frozen otherwise you risk snapping something.

He did say some were his fault. And what the hell is with all golfs having a broken brake light this winter? Every single one I have seen this week has had one of the brake lights broken. Usually the left. Never the 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Just bought an Audi for first time. But i used buy my cars off same dealer for years and he told me he never took a passat in as a trade in without it coming back to him under the warranty he gave with it. I asked him why he kept taking them in and he said there good sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i have had 3 mk4 based car and the only problems i have had were an ignition switch on one and an alternator on another. i have done about 150 thousand miles in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Firstly no manufacturer is free from sin at the moment imo...

this^

plus German manufacturers have always played on their "German-ness" - it creates a perception of supreme build quality and reliability, similar to Swiss watches, Russian brides, etc. Naturally the customers follows this, and we have the German fanboys as a result :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    He did say some were his fault. And what the hell is with all golfs having a broken brake light this winter? Every single one I have seen this week has had one of the brake lights broken. Usually the left. Never the 3rd.

I haven't seen a single golf with a broken brake light. You must be unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

gpf101 wrote: »
    I haven't seen a single golf with a broken brake light. You must be unlucky.

:rolleyes: Common sight around these parts, but not limited to VW by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep absolutely nothing to do with the make of car. But sur small details like that don't matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

VW seems to be one of those brands that

1. anyone that has owned one has had numerous problems with
    2. anyone that hasnt says they are fantastic and never break

i have 3 people in my family with Vw's 2 passats and a golf and they all have had numeous problems and 2 of them say thy wont buy another Vw ever again. the other lad loves his golf even though its breaking him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

vw passats are one of the worse cars on the road. i've a 03 1.9 tdi. for a start the clutch went. then the altinator and then to cap it off when it rains heavy it leaks on the drivers side just above lever for the bonnet. oh and the airbag light has to be reset because it won't turn off. other than that at least it goes :D for now !:confused: p.s the boot would'nt lock the other day other than that great cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Ive had a 00 Golf TDI for 5 yrs and can only say 'What a Car'!!!In those 5 yrs ive serviced her twice,replaced the brake pads once and recently changed the battery.Nothing else has had to be done(touch wood)Ive pulled a trailer with about two tonnes no problem.Ive had an Audi and now have a BMW and both have given me far more trouble than the Beast.The thing is made from granite!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The Germans are marketing their cars based on 'perceived quality', their cars in general have a more solid feel then other brands, but the term perceived quality couldn't be any more true.

My own point of view, from spending day in and day out repairing cars, is that its the arrogance of the German brands that gets to me. The likes of Renault/Nissan/Citroen sell their cars on value for money and good trade in/scrappage deals but the Germans sell their cars, in almost every brands adds, even Opel now, as being German and therefor as some sort of superior product, which they simply and almost without argument, aren't!

Every brand has issues these days as costs have to be reduced constantly and there for parts have to be sourced cheaper and cheaper, but from what I see in work every day, it is simply unacceptable things which fail on the Germans, my latest example, A BMW 645i in for a service last week, it was an 06 with less then 80,000kms and aside from its CBS items, it had a front balljoint that was in a dangerous state and a leaking rad......what possible excuse is there for the rad to be leaking on an €70k plus premium coupe with low mileage? And its always things like, to site some recent examples, wiper motors, gearboxes, drive shafts, electrical issues, broken door handles, the list is endless and yet my mind boggles that people still want these cars. I have a 96 micra as a daily driver and every single component on it still works after 15 years and 110k miles

To my mind, reliability wise, a vw/Audi, a BMW or a Mercedes are in the same class as Renaults of the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

To my mind, reliability wise, a vw/Audi, a BMW or a Mercedes are in the same class as Renaults of the last few years.

In fairness to Renault their recent models have proven far more robust than those of the noughties but I agree with every other point you listed.
    The reason people want the Germans is largely to do with image. Image is all. Image makes you feel good about yourself, helps you to pull the ladies, results in parental approval and makes others think you've made it. People are egotistical creatures. That's why they'll always want delicate and expensive Beemers and Benzes.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭junkyarddog

All German cars are overrated IMO,
    Had a golf GTI,loved it.Done around 70k in it over 5 years,
    but it needed constant maintenence/repair,
    Head gasket blew after around a month of ownership,
    all the wheel bearings had to be replaced,
    it needed two steering racks,
    two gearboxes,and a clutch,
    rear calipers seized,
    3 alternators,
    window regulators broke and had to be replaced several times,
    4 new shocks and springs,
    there probably is other stuff I've forgotten.
    Having said all that it never failed to complete a journey,
    and being in the trade and handy(ish) with a spanner,
    ment I could do the repair work myself.
    But I will never buy another VW again.
    I replaced the golf with a Honda Prelude,
    had that for 6 years and apart from a failed coil in the distributor and a couple of worn balljoints,all it needed was regular servicing in that time.
    I now drive a Toyota Celica,2 1/2 years and 25k later it's been faultless,
    Touchwood:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Golf Mk IV is crap and now all German cars are guilty by association?

I should think not. The only guilty ones are the people (it seems in this country only) who thought that Golf was great to start with. It's not. It's crap. And that includes the GTI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Most mechanics I talk to reckon they'd be out of business if it wasn't for VW... local motor factor said the same some years ago...

We've had a (used) Golf IV TDI 90 for five odd years, its getting elderly and leggy at this stage but I have to say, although its rough, uncivilized and totally utilitarian it has been bulletproof. It gets serviced (properly) on time with quality parts but over 80 odd thousand miles its cost less than €250 in unscheduled maintenance...

Now, in fairness, I should confess that I never seem to get grief with any car I drive. Maybe I'm just poxed but I put 200K on an E36 with nil breakdowns (still going strong with its now owner) I also had several Citroens with no issues.

I have a cousin who has been through the rainbow with cars, new & used, from BMW to Audi to Renault etc etc and has had nothing but trouble from all of them... makes you think?

UNKEL: The Golf IV is not a crap car, it was just overpriced and over hyped, marketing rules OK

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fishtits wrote: »
    UNKEL: The Golf IV is not a crap car, it was just overpriced and over hyped, marketing rules OK

Perhaps I was a bit harsh. The best ever boards.ie car is the Golf MK IV Octavia after all :D

Did you ever see the size of the boot?

Anyway, the GTI is junk. Lardy car without any poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Hard to know what to make of VW reliability. It may be that the general public overestimate VW reliability. While internet posters overestimate VW unreliability.

I don't recall seeing VW do badly in any reliability survey. They often do well, for instance in the reliability section of the 2010 Auto Express Driver Power, the Golf Mk6 did very well.

Anecdotally, I know one person with a 07 Passat from new which has been a nightmare, not just niggly problems but several breakdowns. It seems to have been OK for the last 6 months though :rolleyes:. i know another with a 06 Passat that has been perfectly reliable. Know a few people with Golf Mk5s that have been good, one needed a turbo and starter motor after 100k though. Know someone else with 300k miles on his 1998 Passat, never seems to have any problems.

I would still not buy a new Passat or Golf because of the crap 2 year warranty, the bad attitude of VW dealers that I've experienced and because I find the cars bland with rock hard seats.

Why do people think they only give a 2 year warranty when the trend is to give more...

IMO VW/BMW/Audi/Mercedes engineer their cars to last the warranty period. After that they know that because of the marketing and the amount of gullible people who buy their cars based on nothing but the marketing ploys and the ridiculous notion that only the main dealers can do the job right, they will make a killing on parts supply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Why do people think they only give a 2 year warranty when the trend is to give more...

IMO VW/BMW/Audi/Mercedes engineer their cars to last the warranty period. After that they know that because of the marketing and the amount of gullible people who buy their cars based on nothing but the marketing ploys and the ridiculous notion that only the main dealers can do the job right, they will make a killing on parts supply!

Why then do you get a 3 year warranty on a VW in UK. Are they made better for the brits????.

Do they bolt on the DMF tighter....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We had a lot of VWs over the years and everyone of them needed something beyond normal servicing. A common failure on VW (in our experience) seems to be ABS which is like 1k to fix. Quite often that thinks that are fixed as recall or part of servicing for free in the UK are often charged to the customer here in Ireland. Rip of Ireland etc.

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Why then do you get a 3 year warranty on a VW in UK. Are they made better for the brits????.

Do they bolt on the DMF tighter....:pac:

The UK market is much much larger then the Irish one so they have much more to loose...

Advertisement