Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail blaizing irish women

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think it's not just being the first woman to do X, I would say it's about role models for our children (both boys and girls). It can be hard to comprehend sometimes how not seeing a person you idenify with in a certain field/profession has an impact on a person considering that field/profession for themselves.

We do as people identify with other's along gender lines, we are not past that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes so. My post was a retort to the assertion that Ireland was not notable for producing high achievers. I can't agree with that.

I don't know that we can expect to have many in every generation either, it's more likely things like that will ebb and flow.

You left out Colin Farrel and Cecelia Aherne. ANd that marathon woman [I forget her name].

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I left out plenty of people and some companies too. It's not an exhaustive list. I'm merely making the case that we punch above, or about, our weight in terms of our standing in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I left out plenty of people and some companies too. It's not an exhaustive list. I'm merely making the case that we punch above, or about, our weight in terms of our standing in the world.

Yes I suppose for a small country that is true. I dont think small countries like Malta can say the same, but then Ireland was lucky to have English as its native language to gain the appreciation, attention and commerce of the anglophone world.

Advertisement