Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

humans of NY photographer vs DKNY
    I am a street photographer in New York City. Several months ago, I was approached by a representative of DKNY who asked to purchase 300 of my photos to hang in their store windows “around the world.” They offered me $15,000. A friend in the industry told me that $50 per photo was not nearly enough to receive from a company with hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue. So I asked for more money. They said “no.”Today, a fan sent me a photo from a DKNY store in Bangkok. The window is full of my photos. These photos were used without my knowledge, and without compensation.I don’t want any money. But please REBLOG this post if you think that DKNY should donate $100,000 on my behalf to the YMCA in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. That donation would sure help a lot of deserving kids go to summer camp. I’ll let you guys know if it happens.

i'm so poor at the moment i can't help thinking i'd have taken the $15K and ran into the hills delighted with m'self. but each to their own.

update:
    DKNY has always supported the arts and we deeply regret this mistake. Accordingly, we are making a charitable donation of $25,000 to the YMCA in Bedford-Stuyvesant Brooklyn in Mr. Stanton's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Magnum photographer in faked reportage / plagiarism row:
    Reminds me of the last season of the wire. The journalist with the Baltimore Sun makes up the story from the vet just to make his story better.
    I'd have expected more from a Magnum photographer. How did he think he would get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

just saw an ad down the bottom of this forum for a COUGAR dating website. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

just saw an ad down the bottom of this forum for a COUGAR dating website. :eek:

All I get is ads for feckin' Sliderobes. On EVERY site including YouTube. I'd love me a cougar :D

• Advertisement

Very inspirational talk by Giles Duley, who was injured in Afghanistan while working as a photographer.
    http://player.vimeo.com/video/56784885

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    All I get is ads for feckin' Sliderobes. On EVERY site including YouTube. I'd love me a cougar :D

well with me being a woman and all, i'll swap ya the sliderobes for the cougar lol
    could do with a place to put my shoes in anyway ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ben D Bus wrote: »

How about a cougar in sliderobes?
    actually, that sounds dirty-"i'll put my cougar in your sliderobe..'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks where could I get a Pentax K100D Super repaired? It had a wee drop a while back and won't write to the memory card when a photo is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Kintaro a while ago I had a look at potential repair spots for my Pentax K-x, and every thing online pointed to either the UK or the French Pentax consumer services. All the reviews I read said they were great, send it in, get a diagnostic phonecall, and repairs were done quite promptly.
    If I remember right both the UK and French services were highly praised.

I didn't have to send mine in after all so can't certify first hand.

http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/service-centre.html

• Advertisement

Folks where could I get a Pentax K100D Super repaired? It had a wee drop a while back and won't write to the memory card when a photo is taken.

Zerohamster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

might be of interest to a few here: coursera are running a free online course in june called The Camera Never Lies''... an introduction to use of photographs as historical evidence in the twentieth century, issues of authenticity and manipulation, and the place of film and historical adoptions as public history.''

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

quick - to the radio folks;
    Today on Liveline Damien O’Reilly hears from a disgruntled wedding guest who was instructed by the bride not to post any photos of her wedding on his facebook page.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been to at least one wedding where the same request was made. not sure what the rationale was.

1627_10151540205085743_25690741_n.jpg

via Photobook Worldwide on facebook

EDIT: Actually, the above who sourced from http://20px.com/blog/2013/03/15/pictures-we-didnt-take-before-digital-cameras/#.UVwknJOG32Z

EDIT (2): The comments on the 20px site are ridiculous for a bit of humour being poked around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hey photography folks.

A family member of mine runs Bermingham Cameras on the (Dublin) quays, they are currently advertising a job

http://berminghamcameras.ie/
    Are you looking for a new job?

Think you can offer us something new for 2013?

Do you want join our team?

Well, here in Bermingham Cameras, we are always on the lookout for someone who can add to the services that we already offer.

Of course a knowledge of photography would be required and as we are a store, retail experience would be preferable. We can't promise that we'll offer you a job, but you can be assured that we will give a you a chance to tell us why we should give you one!

E-mail your CV to sales@berminghamcameras.ie or bring one into our store! All CV's received will be treated in the strictest confidence

Just thought it would be of interest to some here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you gotta love that headline. there's a subeditor trying to liven up his job.

via lifehacker; 50 GB Online storage for free.

Haven't tried it yet (but will). Thought there may be a few around with an interest in online storage, backup for your photos, etc...

http://lifehacker.com/5994394/get-50gb-of-free-encrypted-online-storage-from-tresorit?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

• Advertisement

WTD1368.gif

Friend of mine was recently recruited to take pictures and do reviews of gigs for a new website. What's his payment? Free into the gigs he's going to photograph/review. And he's happy with that.

it's not going to be a 'three songs and you're out' routine, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I've shot many gigs for the same "payment". The way I look at it is Im happy to do it if its a show I would have attended anyway. The 3 song rule can be a nuicance but I can understand why its there. Ive been asked a few times to shoot gigs that I have no interest in the performer and again just had the press pass as my payment, and typically turn these down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Oh hi. I'm back like.

*waves*

Hi sNarah, welcome back :) (I'm hardly here myself these days but apparently I'm the first to see your post :P).

Settle in, have a biscuit, they'll all be along shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

So you wonna be a photographer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anyone want a free one year code for Rescue Pro Deluxe that comes with SanDisk cards?

Have you heard about Vivian Maier ?
    I only just found out about her, maybe she's yesterday's news, but I'm blown away by her street shots.

http://www.vivianmaier.com/portfolios/new-york-1/?pid=183

• Advertisement

Today's TED Talk

Sebastião Salgado: The silent drama of photography

http://www.ted.com/talks/sebastiao_salgado_the_silent_drama_of_photography.html

Advertisement