Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Any storm chasers out there yesterday?

This from my balcony...the humanity...

But oddly it did get over 10k hits on YouTube. Which is a bit mad:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i saw that last night on facebook.. i kept having to play it, just to hear the "jesus christ" bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

2 'tips' for The Galway Races (low odds 'bankers') 18:15 Agreement and 19:25 Unaccompanied

dinneenp wrote: »
    2 'tips' for The Galway Races (low odds 'bankers') 18:15 Agreement and 19:25 Unaccompanied

Both won

I brought my camera, will post up some photos over the weekend

fixed link and sports photos link added
    Photographer Carlos Ayesta rappels down the sides of tall skyscrapers to create breathtaking architecture photos.
    link

STUNNING sports photos from The Red Bull Illume Image Quest- link

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you've linked to the photography forum there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Reloading a disposal camera via lomography.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »

eh WTF

"The rise in popularity of digital cameras over the past decade has coincided with the emergence of a new genre of photography – long exposure photography."

Also, this made me laugh
    "If you are familiar with the work of some of the more well-known long exposure photographers then you would no doubt have noticed that many of them choose to work in both black and white and the square format. Why is this?"

Almost solely because Michael Kenna was doing B&W and square long exposures years and years and years ago and everyone else has been ripping him off since :D

Long exposure and the Square format.

I love b/w and square format.

Also also "Digital cameras greatly assist with long exposure photography because there is no reciprocity failure with digital"

Reciprocity is a BONUS when you want long exposures. Ach the whole article is just stupid and misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think that article is a failed entry in a turing test.

what do you call photography using exposures in excess of five minutes?

eh WTF

"The rise in popularity of digital cameras over the past decade has coincided with the emergence of a new genre of photography – long exposure photography."

Also, this made me laugh
    "If you are familiar with the work of some of the more well-known long exposure photographers then you would no doubt have noticed that many of them choose to work in both black and white and the square format. Why is this?"

Almost solely because Michael Kenna was doing B&W and square long exposures years and years and years ago and everyone else has been ripping him off since :D
    Also also "Digital cameras greatly assist with long exposure photography because there is no reciprocity failure with digital"

Reciprocity is a BONUS when you want long exposures. Ach the whole article is just stupid and misinformed.
    i think that article is a failed entry in a turing test.

what do you call photography using exposures in excess of five minutes?

Um yeah.... I think b/w and square format make for pretty images that appeal to me. Oh, and the author links to many examples people can check out. Yeah, Um.... Oh, and I think Michael Kenna's stuff makes for pretty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Recently we had to deal with very picky client. Everything was set and our client agreed to sign the contract, however 20 hours before final meeting our customer canceled the meeting and don't want to proceed. I'm wondering how you deal with such customers and what you would do in such scenario?

if he bailed before you signed the contract, you've not much legal comeback i suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Haven't taken out my 1D in ages, decided I'd take it this morning (over my 550D due to 1.3 crop), battery still holding full charge even though it's been sitting there for months, love this camera!

Seth Godin on Kodak and misunderstanding quality

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2013/08/misunderstanding-quality.html
    It turns out that what people actually wanted was the ability to take and share billions of photos at vanishingly small cost. The 'quality' that most of the customer base wanted was cheap and easy, not museum quality.

Reasonable business advice I guess - Don't misunderstand the quality that most of your customer base actually want.

someone should come up with a similar list for photography:
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

especially one in agreement with #58.

someone should come up with a similar list for photography:
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

especially one in agreement with #58.

It reads tongue in cheek, but I know a few cyclists who are deadly serious about all that crap, so yeah, it'd probably make for a good fit with the likes of photography clubs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

To go slightly off/on topic, I've had a good few bad experiences in bike shops here. Last place charged me to straighten a wheel and when it fell apart ten minutes later they told me the wheel was beyond repair anyway and I should just buy a whole new wheel off them. €170 from them or €90 online. I went online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

What did they charge you to straighten it?

• Advertisement

The new standard for fair, online image use [thats what the man said].

This.

Oh, they have a web service too.

sprinkles wrote: »
    What did they charge you to straighten it?
    €20. It's the fact they told me, when I complained upon return, that it was beyond repair the first time I brought it in yet they charged me to try and fix it that pissed me off. If they had told me from the start I just would have bought a new wheel from them.

This might be useful for some / herecy to others.

103 things i've learned about street photography. (not what i've learned. I've probably learned about 10 things. I call it the minimalist approach ;)).

imho, a gem or two in there.

(if in doubt, click)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

tumblr_msz9i7lqmO1qz4s0mo1_500.jpg

This might be useful for some / herecy to others.
    103 things i've learned about street photography.

No. 19 Street photos of people just walking by billboards is boring.

Then he writes an article about a photographer he saw on the street and chased down to chat to him using Rule 19 as the lead shot.
    Jerry-Penna-3.jpg

I remember some list of his coming up a while back. I checked his stuff out only to be disappointed to find his style was actually Bruce Gilden's and nothing else.

How much did a hipster weigh? An instagram.

• Advertisement

Advertisement