Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I can't find the thread for linking to photoraphers you like so positng here-

Matthias Heiderich, great photos of normal places
    link /

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Watching Ron Haviv freelancer in a world at risk, National Geo show. Very good watch.
    I found a folder on my HD with about 10 photo docs/films. No idea who or where I got them from. But happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Interesting new camera from fuji
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-xf1/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

So, I've been very much enjoying doing video lately.

Bought a steadicam and I am in love with it.

Here's my Brother and his dog :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

How large format cameras are made.

Didn't know that you could get digital backs for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

vic20 wrote: »
    How large format cameras are made.

Didn't know that you could get digital backs for them.

most likely a medium format sensor on a reducing back. I don't think there's any non-scanning back that's bigger than 6x4.5 and even that's really 5x4 cm or something.

:) Figured that you would be first up.
    most likely a medium format sensor on a reducing back. I don't think there's any non-scanning back that's bigger than 6x4.5 and even that's really 5x4 cm or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There's two backs this dude made that are large format. But only two in the world I think.
    http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2011/08/23/mitchell-feinbergs-8x10-digital-capture-back/

Effects wrote: »
    There's two backs this dude made that are large format. But only two in the world I think.
    http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2011/08/23/mitchell-feinbergs-8x10-digital-capture-back/

holy moly :eek:

I stand corrected...

• Advertisement

Nice :D
    (I wonder how much he charges per shot...?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

wooooooowwwwww!

house price before the bust too and the financials work out for him :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Has anyone got a real simple explanation of how to upload a pic onto Facebook from my iPad?

I've a pic taken, it's in my folder called Photos. When I'm on fb and press the upload photo there doesn't seem to be much action available to do this.

Any clues are much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

humberklog wrote: »
    Has anyone got a real simple explanation of how to upload a pic onto Facebook from my iPad?

I've a pic taken, it's in my folder called Photos. When I'm on fb and press the upload photo there doesn't seem to be much action available to do this.

Any clues are much appreciated.

that's really all you do. you can only upload one photo at a time, and it usually goes into an album called "mobile uploads"

if you want to put it elsewhere, you have to go photos > album > add photo .. again only one photo at a time. it's a pain in the arse. i usually plug in the ipad or iphone into my mac, transfer the pics across and then upload it to facebook through safari. much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Where in Dublin city centre would be recommended to get prints of all shapes and sizes done at better than Pharmacy/Harvey Norman standard?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The conclusion is somewhat flawed in its simplistic and broad brush approach imho;
    So what have we learned here? That the nuances of the Sikh religion are still lost on some, that taking pictures of people without their consent is despicable and that little beats a good old-fashioned apology (except, perhaps, not doing wrong in the first place). Oh, and that Balpreet Kaur is a bit of hero, frankly.

I'd agree if this were framed along the lines of taking pictures of people without their consent and posting for ridicule or purposes which would not be of good standing with society is despicable (or something along those lines). Some fantastic photographs are fantastic because there was no consent - or rather that the moment was captured because it was important to capture it without disturbing the moment. If a photo is taken with nefarious intent or subsequently becomes the object of nefarious intent then it is most definitely despicable.

And yes, Balpreet Kaur is a hero.

This is the second hero i've come across this week, the other being Leo Traynor and his piece on meeting the troll. Kudos much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen questions about that latter one - as to how he was able to pinpoint an IP address to an exact house.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Sweet Jesus! I just spent the last half hour reading this (http://www.darcypadilla.com/thejulieproject/intro.html) and looking at the photos! It's just unbelievable......certainly puts things in perspective.....

just read through this - OMG! Find it weird too as today is the 2nd Anniversary of Julie's death! :eek: god love her she had a horrific life, and at times we think our lives are hard!!!!

• Advertisement

My friend's mom died when he was 13 and he started free running. Not having a lot of money he has taught himself how to make films and built all his own camera gear (cranes, dolly's etc.). Now at 19 he has just made this beautiful parkour film.

i've seen questions about that latter one - as to how he was able to pinpoint an IP address to an exact house.

Couple of ways of doing it.

Take a look here

http://evertb.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/tracking-a-troll/

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Couple of ways of doing it.

Take a look here

http://evertb.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/tracking-a-troll/

That guy is full of crap though. Without buy-in from the service providers involved, mobile or otherwise, you -cannot- simply resolve just an IP address to a physical location. Try it yourself, get your public IP address and use one of those services. Chances are you'll be surprised to find yourself in fleet street or in the grand canal somewhere.

OTOH I'm trying to think of some way that he COULD have done it legally. Maybe by searching through other online services for re-use of the same IP address and trying to correlate bits and pieces of data or whatever but given that it's probably on a DHCP lease and NAT'ed to boot even that wouldn't be in any way reliable.

It'd be easier if you had a list of suspects or something, get them all to visit the same site or something, log their IPs and compare. That might well be what he did.

if he had involved the gardai, they may have gotten the address from the ISP. but it would show a severe lack of professionalism on their part to give the address over without investigating themselves first.

That guy is full of crap though. Without buy-in from the service providers involved, mobile or otherwise, you -cannot- simply resolve just an IP address to a physical location. Try it yourself, get your public IP address and use one of those services. Chances are you'll be surprised to find yourself in fleet street or in the grand canal somewhere.

OTOH I'm trying to think of some way that he COULD have done it legally. Maybe by searching through other online services for re-use of the same IP address and trying to correlate bits and pieces of data or whatever but given that it's probably on a DHCP lease and NAT'ed to boot even that wouldn't be in any way reliable.

It'd be easier if you had a list of suspects or something, get them all to visit the same site or something, log their IPs and compare. That might well be what he did.

Ah, sorry, only on phone earlier so just posted link without elaborating a little in terms of personal experience.

My experience of it is that it can be hit and miss, and greatly depends on the up to date nature of the isp's geo location data and how the isp connects you to the internet.

When I try some of those location services from work, it pinpoints my browser to about 10 feet of where I sit :eek: Kinda freaky. Then again I sit not terribly far from where the internet feed enters the building but i'm sure the geo ip info is someone dropping a pin on a map somewhere and it just happened to be there. But this remains constant too.

However when I connect from home, Eircom appear to bounce me from Meath to Louth, up to Cavan, and often to Mullingar, and in fairness on occasion not a million miles from where I do actually live but never constant from one end of the week to the next.

At a best guess in terms of the Leo Traynor thing, and on the basis of my personal experience above with geo ip services, I'd have to think he got lucky that his troll's geo ip references were reasonably accurate. If the kid had been using a mobile broadband dongle then you are not going to get any geo ip other than a base station, though enough perhaps to let you know the general area perhaps.

Something similar happened to one of the FF politicians recently.... iirc something about fake twitter accounts posted from a particular internet cafe, and the slueth involved once he had enough suspicion sat out side the cafe with cameras rolling, and baited him into getting caught. Think he was saying things about the FF leadership and direction while remaining a member but being overly critical with their fake twitter account. A couple of short links later and the ip was caught. Patterns were built up of when and where, and low and behold the papers got a call with a dossier of proof.

If paranoid, you should proxy through a server which you've compromised on foreign soil, and setting up a relay with a number of other compromised servers elsewhere and immediately deleting all tracer log activity on those boxes and hope the jeebs that they aren't honeypots :pac: hmnnnn...., or maybe not troll your neighbours in the first place.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    When I try some of those location services from work, it pinpoints my browser to about 10 feet of where I sit :eek: Kinda freaky. Then again I sit not terribly far from where the internet feed enters the building but i'm sure the geo ip info is someone dropping a pin on a map somewhere and it just happened to be there. But this remains constant too.
    i suspect what's happening here is that you are using your company's proxy, whose IP address is static, and your specific IP address on your machine is NATed. and your company's proxy is (of necessity) a public address.

browsing from home, though, you get a dynamically assigned IP address, and even if you have paid for a static (very unlikely for a home user), the ISP are not going to make this information public.

Some gorgeous work here (via 500px) Interview here

Came across Sarah Sudhoff earlier via supermassive blackhole.

Some beautiful photography behind this link but beware - lots, including the opening page that are very NSFW. If you are easily offended by matters such as nude, pregnancy/child birth, death, body parts, suicides, (not necessarily all together) then please don't follow the link (I'm not intending to shock or offend anyone so you've been warned). But if you are reasonably open minded I think this is really interesting photography and worth a view / following.

Ok, go

• Advertisement

I read that earlier, he makes some good points, and the whole IP thing is still a bit WTF, but I can well believe that the Gardai would do absolutely nothing in this situation.

Advertisement