Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Corvo wrote: »
    The doctor also advised that I try and apologise to my friends and ex-girlfriend in order to shift some of the soul-eating guilt that is slowly driving me crazy. Though I think that might be a battle for a different day.

Yes, that might well be best left for another day... it can work both ways - do it too soon and it's easy to make things worse - one of my biggest reliefs is that there were certain things I was planning to say or admit to that in the end I kept to myself, and it was much much better that way. Don't worry, the guilt will lessen dramatically once you get through a few days/weeks/months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

tfxq.jpg

Well done!

ge-awesome.jpg

haha :)

Thanks KaG :D I feel awsome \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

xzanti wrote: »
    tfxq.jpg

One down, plenty more to go. Congrats from sunny, sober Brisbane.
    I'll chuck another vegetarian shrimp on the barbie for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Fair play xzanti. I'm closing in on six months and I feel awesome too!

I did seven weeks, then my friend's birthday turned into a six day session - am proud to say I only partook in two of the six sessions. Still floored me! So starting over now with two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

90 days..

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

Forty years this Month! (Not joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

One week. Its been about 5 weeks with two slips in between but I have come back this week really going by the book and attending meetings etc and surrendering. Its been great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

555 Days today!!! Get in!

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

New here. Hi!

About 8 days :-) Have to go dry for up to two years as I'm taking medication that can mess up the liver, so definitely no alcohol.

It doesn't bother me too much, I did it by choice about ten years ago when I gave up for about a year, or slightly longer. Haven't really overdone it much since then, only rarely, but I really did enjoy a beer or glass of wine in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

10 days for me.

Drinking alcohol is not consistent with my goals at the moment (mostly relating to improving my physical condition).

At the back of my mind however is a solid thought that I will not return to drinking alcohol the way I used to (bingey, many, many mistakes made whilst severely intoxicated, many, many mornings waking up with bad hangovers, etc).

It is the thought of never drinking alcohol again that I find most challenging, as opposed to not drinking 'today'.

I am quite optimistic that I will be happy to moderate in the future, as the only drink which I strongly feel I would miss is a couple of glasses of decent wine with good food once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

Sobriety is amazing.
    The blinkers are pulled back, and you get to see the real you and the real world.

A friend of mine asked me recently about me not drinking on a night out.

I said to him that tbh, alcohol can be good fun, but the comedown isn't worth it for me. Feeling like **** for days on end, feeling emotionally labile, mentally week, depressed etc. I said alcohol was a poison and why would you put that in your body. Anyone with a brain in their head doesn't touch the stuff

He actually agreed with everything I said....then skulled his pint and ordered another.

Sobriety is amazing.
    The blinkers are pulled back, and you get to see the real you and the real world.

A friend of mine asked me recently about me not drinking on a night out.

I said to him that tbh, alcohol can be good fun, but the comedown isn't worth it for me. Feeling like **** for days on end, feeling emotionally labile, mentally week, depressed etc. I said alcohol was a poison and why would you put that in your body. Anyone with a brain in their head doesn't touch the stuff

He actually agreed with everything I said....then skulled his pint and ordered another.

I totally agree with you that the emotional comedown is terrible and how mentally unstable you can be.

But on the subject title of the thred I've had a few blips since I came onto here 6 months ago but how I have progressed is amazing and long may it continue

2-year-anniversary-image.jpg

Life has never been better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done Kag. Great achivement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Have to cut out drinking for a minimum of nine months, because of some medication I'm on. I can drink on it, but it lowers my tolerance. It lowered it to such an extent that I wound up in hospital last month. So, 20 days so far. :)

Just passed the six month mark and all is going well. I feel good and I have no urge to drink at all. My social life is also pretty much back to normal after a slightly wobbly first couple of months.

I do have a wedding this weekend though where everyone else is going to be absolutely sloshed for two days. I have a feeling that it might be a bit challenging.

Just passed the six month mark and all is going well. I feel good and I have no urge to drink at all. My social life is also pretty much back to normal after a slightly wobbly first couple of months.

I do have a wedding this weekend though where everyone else is going to be absolutely sloshed for two days. I have a feeling that it might be a bit challenging.

Well done you :D

RE the Wedding, I love weddings now! I thought they´d be horribly boring without booze but I find I actually appreciate the whole day and all the work that went into it a lot more.. I find them very enjoyable.. and no guilt the next day..

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote: »
    Well done you :D

RE the Wedding, I love weddings now! I thought they´d be horribly boring without booze but I find I actually appreciate the whole day and all the work that went into it a lot more.. I find them very enjoyable.. and no guilt the next day..

Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy weddings sober. It's given me a sliver of hope for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Seven days. I turned 27 last Sunday, I've been binge drinking every weekend since I was 17. 10 years is enough!

Usually I wake up on a Sunday anxious about work on Monday and about things I said over the weekend etc. Today I had a genuinely relaxing Sunday and am full of energy and actually looking forward to work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

22 months - Thought it was all in the past but still being hounded by my actions. Lord give me strength for the week ahead

22 months - Thought it was all in the past but still being hounded by my actions. Lord give me strength for the week ahead

Past being the operative word.. take comfort in knowing that whatever is troubling you is done and dusted.. there's nothing you can do about it except use it as a lesson for the future.. and know that without booze, you don't have anymore of these particular brand of life bloopers to look forward to :)

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Thanks Xzanti, You are right it is in the past. And if there were no consequences for your actions, what reason would you ever have to stop? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Over 7 months without alcohol going great I was a beer drinker at home 5 cans watching tv etc but it never suited me due to medication I am on.The 5 cans affected me more like 10 as did the hangover. I stopped drinking the day my daughter was born and honestly feel I will never during again I HATE it and HATE what I see it doing to other people too. Only one problem I am having is I have got a very very sweet tooth since I gave up drink does this happen often ?
    Thanks

Big Davey wrote: »
    Over 7 months without alcohol going great I was a beer drinker at home 5 cans watching tv etc but it never suited me due to medication I am on.The 5 cans affected me more like 10 as did the hangover. I stopped drinking the day my daughter was born and honestly feel I will never during again I HATE it and HATE what I see it doing to other people too. Only one problem I am having is I have got a very very sweet tooth since I gave up drink does this happen often ?
    Thanks

Sweet tooth is a disaster alright - body is craving sugar that you used to get from the drink. It's something I need to get hold off - I'm gona start running properly again this week and that should do the job.

They say in meetings to eat bit of chocolate for the cravings

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Still on my first attempt tg.......I don't usually count and I don't say it to be boastful but it might give someone else a bit of encouragement that it is most definitely possible
    • 336,873,600 seconds
    • 5,614,560 minutes
    • 93,576 hours
    • 3899 days
    • 557 weeks

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Still on my first attempt tg.......I don't usually count and I don't say it to be boastful but it might give someone else a bit of encouragement that it is most definitely possible
    • 336,873,600 seconds
    • 5,614,560 minutes
    • 93,576 hours
    • 3899 days
    • 557 weeks

Flippin' 'eck, 10+ years. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Flippin' 'eck, 10+ years. Well done!

Thanks for working it out for me, Disco Stuart and well done ifeelstupid! Truly inspirational.

Advertisement