Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Ah yes, from 2:02 in the video is what I'd seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

Ah yes, from 2:02 in the video is what I'd seen.
    FFS, what has that got to do with the topic of this thread, give over on the F@cking Scorpions!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

'Twas others talking about it, I just joined in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

It's all my fault as usual Sparky cos I started it! Happy Christmas BTW!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

source wrote: »
    As a former ackack man it pains me to see an L70 with it's barrel so low.

I've always liked this video. Shows what a battery of 40mm can do when under director control. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlfLwQEBU-I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I was at an ack ack shoot in gormanstown years ago and they didn't have one of those drones..... Cessna dragging a target..... thought it a a bit of dodgy job for the pilot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Frogeye wrote: »
    I was at an ack ack shoot in gormanstown years ago and they didn't have one of those drones..... Cessna dragging a target..... thought it a a bit of dodgy job for the pilot!!!

The drogue was towed a long distance behind the aircraft, though there is a story about how the aircraft went behind a cloud and a 2Bty crew were firing, they kept firing and were leading the aircraft when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Frogeye wrote: »

To quote the ehhhh paper of record..... The Daily Mail "Elf & Safety has everything ruined" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

The drogue was towed a long distance behind the aircraft, though there is a story about how the aircraft went behind a cloud and a 2Bty crew were firing, they kept firing and were leading the aircraft when it came out.

One of my mates was an ack ack operator in the FCA many many years ago. He recalls one of the Cessna pilots radioing back to them with the communication "I'm towing not pushing, FFS"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

As a former ackack man it pains me to see an L70 with it's barrel so low.

Its an optical illusion, the gun is about 10/15 degrees from horizontal.

• Advertisement

NEW SHIPS ALERT

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40192794.html

Jackeens finally getting their own navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Its an optical illusion, the gun is about 10/15 degrees from horizontal.

Are you sure? The splashes aren't landing very far from the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

NEW SHIPS ALERT

Sounds like we are buying 2 flamant class or something similar.

NEW SHIPS ALERT

There'll be no living with them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sparky42 wrote: »

It’s really a maritime protection of our precious Sams. We have so many now they can be seen from the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sparky42 wrote: »

It’s really a maritime protection of our precious Sams. We have so many now they can be seen from the sea.

salmocab wrote: »
    As if those British Langers would care...:p

Given the wording of the article, and the timeframe we are looking at, I wonder if we might see something like a Lease of current hulls while new builds are being built? Or just straight purchase of older hulls? I wonder who we are looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Fear not, Lt Commander Johnny Big-Wallet has been dispatched " Out Furrin", to source these two ships. He is the obvious choice because he can speak at Johnny Foreigner without listening.

Apparently, after extensive reconnoitering in Czechia, The Slovak Republic and Austria, to no avail, he is now negotiating vit ze Chermans on the purchase of LE Bismark and LE Graf Spee von Tirpitz. After extensive tyre kicking, "twas agreed dat wit' a small bitta wurk, d'ese yokes'd be grand", according to our man in Hamburg, who commented in between strippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

NEW SHIPS ALERT

The part where they say we could have 2 new ships built in 6 months sounds ridiculous to me, that you could start a discussion with any yard now and be out on a ship in June!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

it had being mentioned last year by the COS about basing vessels in Dun Laoghaire, If it is there could they old ferry terminal be converted in to crew accommodation & offices if not already in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tabnabs wrote: »

those things have barely left port. would be a decent buy if they can be got for the 10M each the article says.

those things have barely left port. would be a decent buy if they can be got for the 10M each the article says.

I'm sure the Kiwis would prefer to see them gone also while they seek to build larger replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

roadmaster wrote: »
    it had being mentioned last year by the COS about basing vessels in Dun Laoghaire, If it is there could they old ferry terminal be converted in to crew accommodation & offices if not already in use?

A contract is in place for the lease of that building for use as a tech hub, and enterprise centre.

That said, there are other public buildings and larger out of use private buildings in DL that could be converted into comfortable quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Kiwi ships would be ideal. They certainly fit the description and there is an established working relationship between the DF and the RNZN.

What about names?

LÉ Wolfe Tone and LÉ Bloody Sunday perhaps?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Kiwi ships would be ideal. They certainly fit the description and there is an established working relationship between the DF and the RNZN.

What about names?

LÉ Wolfe Tone and LÉ Bloody Sunday perhaps?

Why would you name a ship after a Band and a U2 song?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Pretty handy looking pair of ships for what they are. They look rather lightly armed to me....but ok for fisheries protection work. Nice modern bit of kit to replace the older stuff which is gettin a bit past it's sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pretty handy looking pair of ships for what they are. They look rather lightly armed to me....but ok for fisheries protection work. Nice modern bit of kit to replace the older stuff which is gettin a bit past it's sell by date.

we wouldn't be buying them armed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Why would you name a ship after a Band and a U2 song?:cool:

Wolf Tone was a revolutionary executed by the British, I'm actually shocked I have to explain this on an Irish internet forum unless of course you're taking the piss.
    As an aside the Wolf Tones coupled with a few beers are tolerable.

Advertisement