Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wolf Tone was a revolutionary executed by the British, I'm actually shocked I have to explain this on an Irish internet forum unless of course you're taking the piss.
    As an aside the Wolf Tones coupled with a few beers are tolerable.

A) you don't, he is joking
    B) you spelt it wrong anyway. Ffs.

Couple of nice YouTube vids of the class, gives an interesting rundown of capabilities and facilities, search for HMNZS Taupo or Rotoiti

We might be jumping the gun here, but the fact these excellent ships are available, modern and suitable is an absolute gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If they are not fit for NZ waters would they be fit for the Irish Sea in the middle of winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Wolf Tone was a revolutionary executed by the British, I'm actually shocked I have to explain this on an Irish internet forum unless of course you're taking the piss.
    As an aside the Wolf Tones coupled with a few beers are tolerable.

Wolfe tones are never tolerable. The proceeds of their sales and performances in part funds terrorism in Ireland.

roadmaster wrote: »
    If they are not fit for NZ waters would they be fit for the Irish Sea in the middle of winter?

They are fit for NZ waters, they just don't have the range the Kiwis realised they need. Their AO covers the same area of the planet as if we patrolled up to the north pole, south to spain, and east to Germany. They were constrained by government funding, and decided 4 IPVs and 2 OPVs was better than nothing. With new government they are getting the 4 OPV they originally wanted, along with the 2 IPV they are keeping.
    Their operational profile is similar to the P40s, in that they can operate (launch RIB etc) in sea states up to 5, but can still cruise up to sea state 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Is this a french design?

Is this a french design?

No, BAE Systems Australia designed, modified from a type already in service in the Philippines.

Cheers bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

All they need would be a 20m/m and a couple of M/Gs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

roundymac wrote: »

Definitely, just take whatever comes off eithne and the Peacocks and reuse it.

Any real money would be far better spent on proper ship launched drones for recon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

roundymac wrote: »
    Looking at the photos of them I'm not sure if you could fit a 20mm forward, think its just on the bridge wings they mount the .50 cals?

At the moment they are only fitted for 12.7mm (50 cal) HMGs.

Space for mounts seem to be at a premium so I can't see 20mm cannon being possible. HMGs and GPMGs only, with small arms. That's more than adequate really. Speed, maneuverability and a slick Jet-Rhib operation are the real weapons for close quarters fisheries and small craft interdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do the 2 customs boats get used much ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do the 2 customs boats get used much ?

They are in constant use.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    They are in constant use.

Fair enough , anytime I passed the mooring in kinsale they were both always tied up , ( though I don't pass kinsale as much as I used to )
    But , I though it was a bit odd to base the 2 customs cutters in kinsale ,when the navy was "next door" in cork harbour , and considering their size would have though they'd have been a better fit for the west coast ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Fair enough , anytime I passed the mooring in kinsale they were both always tied up , ( though I don't pass kinsale as much as I used to )
    But , I though it was a bit odd to base the 2 customs cutters in kinsale ,when the navy was "next door" in cork harbour , and considering their size would have though they'd have been a better fit for the west coast ..

I only ever noticed one there, but I don't spend much time looking, as I don't want to crash into the cliff or drive into the water.

sparky42 wrote: »
    Looking at the photos of them I'm not sure if you could fit a 20mm forward, think its just on the bridge wings they mount the .50 cals?

50 cals are plenty for the job it will be doing. You could probably stick an RWS up front if you wanted, but it could manage without. You'll still have armed boarding parties when required.

50 cals are plenty for the job it will be doing. You could probably stick an RWS up front if you wanted, but it could manage without. You'll still have armed boarding parties when required.

Yeah, I can't see why we'd do much to change the standard fit of whatever we end up getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Would DL be a given for an East Coast base or could they look further north to places such as clogherhead or Greenore?

I only ever noticed one there, but I don't spend much time looking, as I don't want to crash into the cliff or drive into the water.

By fluke I was heading out to Garretts own today , only 1 tied up ...
    ( I was passenger )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Would DL be a given for an East Coast base or could they look further north to places such as clogherhead or Greenore?

DL would have a historic connection with a Naval mooring there, but I suppose its not really tied at this stage, hell we don't even have a firm idea on what we are buying yet.

DL would have a historic connection with a Naval mooring there, but I suppose its not really tied at this stage, hell we don't even have a firm idea on what we are buying yet.

Two Arleigh Burkes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Two Arleigh Burkes.

that lacks ambition.

I'd rule out Clogher Head due to the language difficulties.

Two Arleigh Burkes.
    Let's not give anyone ideas...:D

Let's not give anyone ideas...:D

We can take Flight 1 Burkes, we don't need Hangars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two Arleigh Burkes.
    What's the point ?

AFAIK they decommissioned the Tomahawk's with the nukes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

What's the point ?

AFAIK they decommissioned the Tomahawk's with the nukes.

Don't worry, The DOD will find enough other stuff to decommission. Armoured citadel??? Get it out!

Oh I dunno, nothing says we're serious about Dublin Bay Prawns quite like a Harpoon launcher and two triple torpedo arrays!

Just perusing the specs and you read that the USN has 68 Arleigh Burkes in commission. Sixty flippin eight, worth 145 billion dollars. Mind boggling.

• Advertisement

A pretty ugly looking ship IMO. Spotted one a couple of years ago down in the med. Crappy looking design. One or two of them Absalons would be a better bet for the flagship role, these NZ jobbies are just fine for fisheries protection. T'will be quite a rough ride though....getting them from NZ over to DL. But hopefully they are coming at such a bargain price that the DOD will put the cost savings towards setting a more ambitious budget for the MRV, and not saddle the navy with a ro ro ferry painted grey, no helideck, and a couple or HMG's as weaponry.

Advertisement