Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I heard JJ is open for tours today before they depart, maybe you'd get a chance for a better look around

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I heard JJ is open for tours today before they depart, maybe you'd get a chance for a better look around

Public tours only get you so far, you need a good contact to get to the interesting areas ;)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Public tours only get you so far, you need a good contact to get to the interesting areas ;)

_85237120_warship.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

^^^ Starship Enterprise??! :D

Silvera wrote: »
    ^^^ Starship Enterprise??! :D

Looks like it! Its actually a concept bridge/CIC from the Royal Navy 'destroyer 2050' concept study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Even though the US coast guard aren't going ahead with this would it suit as replacment for eithne - looks weird but could handle the worst seas - at 100meters it's about right size wise - that variant probably couldn't handle much freight -probably could handle emergency towing if required though -
    http://gcaptain.com/ulsteins-x-bow-incorporated/

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

reading in the paper today that the INS sank some germans yacht that had been drifting for months as it was a danger to shipping, that sounds like it would be fun. I know its a bit OT but any ideas how they would have done that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

salmocab wrote: »
    reading in the paper today that the INS sank some germans yacht that had been drifting for months as it was a danger to shipping, that sounds like it would be fun. I know its a bit OT but any ideas how they would have done that?

There are pics/footage over on 'irishmilitaryonline.ie'
    A few GPMG rounds did the deed apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I was serving on LE Ciara and we sank a capsized 1000t crane dredger off Arklow in 1989 with GPMG's. :cool:

The .5's jammed (LS Gunner put the belts in wrong) and the 76mm missed (8 or 9 times....) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yawlboy wrote: »
    I was serving on LE Ciara and we sank a capsized 1000t crane dredger off Arklow in 1989 with GPMG's. :cool:

The .5's jammed (LS Gunner put the belts in wrong) and the 76mm missed (8 or 9 times....) :p

Id say a lot of people were like kids at christmas getting to do that, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Any new on WBY(P63). It was about this time of year that P61 and P62 got floated out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The former LE Aoife now the P62 of the Maltese navy has finally departed. May we wish her and the crew a safe journey and good fortune in her new role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭sparky42

roundymac wrote: »
    The former LE Aoife now the P62 of the Maltese navy has finally departed. May we wish her and the crew a safe journey and good fortune in her new role.

Hope she gives a few more good years of service to the Maltese, I prefer them to have her and use her to the end than she ending up scrapped.

sparky42 wrote: »
    Hope she gives a few more good years of service to the Maltese, I prefer them to have her and use her to the end than she ending up scrapped.

In fairness I don't think any of the P20 hulls have been scrapped yet? Testament to Verolme!

In fairness I don't think any of the P20 hulls have been scrapped yet? Testament to Verolme!

Deirdre was scrapped in the US last year. http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7800&d=1412183244
    Emer was confiscated by the Nigerian Navy http://www.thejournal.ie/le-emer-irish-navy-ship-nigeria-1951531-Mar2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Emer was confiscated by the Nigerian Navy

Confiscated?

Confiscated?

A private security contractor to the oil industry attempted to put her into service as a private armed platform to carry out their work. Nigerian officialdom said "eh, sorry pal, no private Navies around here" and confiscated the ship, promptly putting her under a Nigerian flag and operating her themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.janes.com/article/49162/nigerian-navy-commissions-four-vessels
    The 36 year-old Prosperity is the former Irish P 21 patrol vessel Emer , which was decommissioned in 2013 and acquired by Nigerian company Uniglobe Industrial Services for EUR320,000 at an auction later that year.

After extensive refit work in Cork, the ship, now renamed MV Emer , departed for Nigeria in early June 2014. Upon arrival in Lagos in July 2014, the ship was reportedly seized by the Nigerian Navy because the owners had not obtained its approval to bring in a decommissioned naval vessel.

At the commissioning ceremony, the ship was described as being acquired through "local sourcing in partnership with Uniglobe Industrial Services Ltd in 2014" by an announcer.

Prosperity replaces the former training ship Ruwan Yaro , which was decommissioned in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

If the Nigerians wanted it why didn't they just put in an offer for it? Have they re armed it?

voter1983 wrote: »
    If the Nigerians wanted it why didn't they just put in an offer for it? Have they re armed it?

Think it had more to do with them not wanting a private navy in their waters and then decided to find a use for her once they had her. Don't know about her armaments at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

As the Naval Service primary role is to pick up refugees should they have got an old QE2 with cabins retrofitted for the migrants?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

sparky42 wrote: »
    Think it had more to do with them not wanting a private navy in their waters and then decided to find a use for her once they had her. Don't know about her armaments at this stage.

I think its being used as a training ship, so Armament would probably be fairly light.

On another point, the new RN proposal for a light frigate might be of interest to us going forward what with the MOU in place for procurement etc.however as stripped down as it may be it'll still probably be too pricey for us and probably won't have the stowage etc that we need.

thoker wrote: »
    As the Naval Service primary role is to pick up refugees should they have got an old QE2 with cabins retrofitted for the migrants?:rolleyes:

How clever of you, maybe you should post that in the thread about the rescue operations?:rolleyes:

I think its being used as a training ship, so Armament would probably be fairly light.

On another point, the new RN proposal for a light frigate might be of interest to us going forward what with the MOU in place for procurement etc.however as stripped down as it may be it'll still probably be too pricey for us and probably won't have the stowage etc that we need.

I think there are vastly too many questions about the "light frigate" to make a call on ordering. I mean the 26's will be built out to 2030 as is, and frankly I don't see them freeing up much budget to design and build a new Frigate hull before early/mid 2020's. We don't even know how "stripped down" it will be yet, it won't have ASW as there's only the 8 sonar kits that are going into the 26, don't know if they'll have "strike length" cells or what now. Also lets be honest coming from BAE it's going to be costly/late.

Indeed. Whatever we end up with, we know it wont be remotely described as a frigate. It'll be some off the shelf modular job already in service with some small nations. That, or an old car ferry with a OTO Melara bolted on.

Indeed. Whatever we end up with, we know it wont be remotely described as a frigate. It'll be some off the shelf modular job already in service with some small nations. That, or an old car ferry with a OTO Melara bolted on.

Why do you say that? The Niamh's and Beckett's are brilliant vessels and do exactly what we need of them. Why assume anything else for additional vessels? I think the days of buying other nations cast offs are well behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I think frigate sized may be the extent of it. So an enlarged SB/JJ or a barebones absalon
    I doubt they'll go the Canterbury/car ferry route for something that will spend 80% of its time patrolling the North Atlantic, that fit would be about as seaworthy as a bucket in some of the NA sea states.

If it keeps the ability to move a chunk of a "battlegroups" equipment for a UN mission I'm not sure what design small nations have that match that and also do patrolling at the moment, I mean the Canterbury hasn't exactly been a great success and I'm not sure how enjoyable the ride would be out in the mid Atlantic.

For now I think we'll just have to wait until the tender starts at some point to get an idea on what the hell DOD are thinking.

Why do you say that? The Niamh's and Beckett's are brilliant vessels and do exactly what we need of them. Why assume anything else for additional vessels? I think the days of buying other nations cast offs are well behind us.

Think he meant designs rather than second hand ships, remember the design of the P50's/P60's has been used elsewhere before we modified it to our needs.

• Advertisement

I think frigate sized may be the extent of it. So an enlarged SB/JJ or a barebones absalon
    I doubt they'll go the Canterbury/car ferry route for something that will spend 80% of its time patrolling the North Atlantic, that fit would be about as seaworthy as a bucket in some of the NA sea states.

I'd agree with that, and I would hope the NS would be smart enough to loudly and repeatedly point out the sea states in the North Atlantic. Given the P60 design is I think the largest of the design, I wonder how feasiable/costly would it be to enlarge it any more versus something like a barebones Absalon.

Advertisement