Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to call it? Snow chances for Winter 2010/2011 all but gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is the title of this thread a bit misleading?? It implies we had no snow this winter so far and none likely for the rest the winter. Should it not say "Snow Chances for "the rest of" Winter 2010/2011 all but gone?"

Some places didnt see any this winter, id hate that!:D

Id love to know if anybody has had no lying snow in the last three winters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Wouldn't be surprised if theres coastal areas in the south west that havent had any

Seems to be a chance for snow in Donegal and some other mountainous parts of the north on Thursday, -6 uppers with -8 very near by. Not expecting anything here but much of the inland parts of the county should be in with a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Harps wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if theres coastal areas in the south west that havent had any

Seems to be a chance for snow in Donegal and some other mountainous parts of the north on Thursday, -6 uppers with -8 very near by. Not expecting anything here but much of the inland parts of the county should be in with a shout

I think all of Kerry, at all levels, but maybe not some parts of coastal county cork got snow this winter, even Dingle got a couple of inches at sea level on the Monday of the week before Christmas, someone posted on here that Skellig Michael had snow too but did not see any photographic evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I remember those satellite pictures earlier in the winter (sigh) and County Clare got little or no snow. I may be wrong though?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Are we expecting snow this week? Someone told me today that we are. Yet there is very little said about it here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I remember those satellite pictures earlier in the winter (sigh) and County Clare got little or no snow. I may be wrong though?
    You are right elmer. The part of clare where i am got no snow. We had one flake but the cat ate it before i got to take a picture of it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Are we expecting snow this week? Someone told me today that we are. Yet there is very little said about it here.

Thats because the snow will probably only be above where most people live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    You are right elmer. The part of clare where i am got no snow. We had one flake but the cat ate it before i got to take a picture of it

time to have a whip round for wolfe to get him a snow machine i think. . . :P

Possibly a Scandanavian High forming next week?

It came up on gfs yesterday and today ECM is hinting at one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice to see some tv programmes at the moment with snow falling in the background, they where obviously recorded during the cold spell. e.g. eco eye tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes, there was a great satellite image taken a couple of days before Christmas that showed pretty much all the island of Ireland with snow (even southwest coastal Kerry) . I think Waterford, coastal Cork and South Tipp/Kilkenny were the only parts that showed significant green.

I would hate to be a snow fan (most here are!!) and have not gotten any snow whatsover this winter having endured the subzero temps and watching everyone else get it on the news etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

The latest from Joe Bastardi. He has called it. The worst of winter 2010/2011 is behind us now in the UK & Ireland.......

SPEAKING OF WARMING... I think we can all agree that January was nothing out of the ordinary as far as the return of the very cold that has been a mainstay in some ideas. Not this forecaster... and I continue to hold with the idea that no sustained cold is in sight for GB and Ireland, and the worst of the winter, as opined back in December, was December, that there would be plenty of warming in the north to or above normal. I see no reason to back away from that now. I don't look for any major sustainable cold in the next two weeks, and probably beyond that for the month. As the fans of the Brooklyn Dodgers used to say many years ago, wait until next year.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

derekon wrote: »
    The latest from Joe Bastardi. He has called it. The worst of winter 2010/2011 is behind us now in the UK & Ireland.......

SPEAKING OF WARMING... I think we can all agree that January was nothing out of the ordinary as far as the return of the very cold that has been a mainstay in some ideas. Not this forecaster... and I continue to hold with the idea that no sustained cold is in sight for GB and Ireland, and the worst of the winter, as opined back in December, was December, that there would be plenty of warming in the north to or above normal. I see no reason to back away from that now. I don't look for any major sustainable cold in the next two weeks, and probably beyond that for the month. As the fans of the Brooklyn Dodgers used to say many years ago, wait until next year.

I have more respect for Piers Corbyn that Joe Bastardi!:D

He is clueless when it comes to European weather prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Great forecast by Joe :)

I like the way he says the worst of the cold as opined back in December. According to him December would be around average temperature wise. He only forecasted the second major cold outburst after the models picked up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Well I am going to call it for the Dublin region. No more snow for Greater Dublin during what is left of winter 2010/2011.

The end of November and all of December was epic. January and Feb a big disappointment.

Looks like it will get cool next week but nothing spectacular. This will bring us up to Sunday 20th February. We are nearing the end of the Irish winter...anyone else gonna call it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Not just yet. Mid March is time to call it a day

Well I am going to call it for the Dublin region. No more snow for Greater Dublin during what is left of winter 2010/2011.

The end of November and all of December was epic. January and Feb a big disappointment.

Looks like it will get cool next week but nothing spectacular. This will bring us up to Sunday 20th February. We are nearing the end of the Irish winter...anyone else gonna call it? :D

At this stage I fear you could be right Derekon.

though, perhaps we'll get some late February/ early March snow showers??
    even we don't, as you say we had the epic December. Where I was lucky to see a snowfall event that was even greater than the December 2000 event.
    I can only hope it's not another 10 years before I see snowfall similar to it again!!

I wouldnt be surprised if we got more snow around here but to be honest unless its accompanied by some proper cold then I'd rather not have it. The snow we had at the start of the week wasn't enjoyable at all.

Its safe to say at this stage theres going to be no repeat of December but for the rest of this month at least I'm staying optimistic we can get something. After that, bring on the Summer weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Harps wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if we got more snow around here but to be honest unless its accompanied by some proper cold then I'd rather not have it. The snow we had at the start of the week wasn't enjoyable at all.

What snow at the start of the week ? Where is 'here'?

• Advertisement

10cm in Letterkenny last Monday

photo0287y.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

The end of this month it shall return ;)
    we can only hope :)

Well look at the CAPE and LI forecast for Sunday, some slight surface heating convection over the midlands!!:D

I wish we could just have 6 month of July and 6 months of December, and not all the half-arsed attempts in between.

There is also some very interesting clouds around today:)

...*Puts old snow from the freezer in the bin, Puts on TS hat and takes pictures of clouds every 30 seconds to see if they are getting taller*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

heavy hail/sleet showers countrywide on Monday?? GFS 06Z has a small low pressure system over us...

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Well look at the CAPE and LI forecast for Sunday, some slight surface heating convection over the midlands!!:D

I wish we could just have 6 month of July and 6 months of December, and not all the half-arsed attempts in between.

This man has wisdom!

There is also some very interesting clouds around today:)

...*Puts old snow from the freezer in the bin, Puts on TS hat and takes pictures of clouds every 30 seconds to see if they are getting taller*

6 Months of the one weekend thats nice that we get in May you mean, not the rain in July . .:P

6 Months of the one weekend thats nice that we get in May you mean, not the rain in July . .:P

Nice weather:confused: Why would you want that?:pac: I heard that ''thunder only happens when it raining''.

Nice weather:confused: Why would you want that?:pac: I heard that ''thunder only happens when it raining''.

Yeah, but you're not going to get convective activity from repeated atlantic fronts and systems crossing over all july now, are you?!

Yeah, but you're not going to get convective activity from repeated atlantic fronts and systems crossing over all july now, are you?!

In fact the best and easiest attainable set up for them down here is a low with a big flabby center centered overhead, then a westerly/ northwesterly so showers arrive here after getting charged up over the midlands, swesterlies are always agonizing because kilkenny get hammered and all we can do is watch the anvils.

Imports from wales are good but generally hot spells dont deliver good storms here because they are always easterlies or southerlies and therefore have very short land tracks so no chance of any decent development.

• Advertisement

In fact the best and easiest attainable set up for them down here is a low with a big flabby center centered overhead, then a westerly/ northwesterly so showers arrive here after getting charged up over the midlands, swesterlies are always agonizing because kilkenny get hammered and all we can do is watch the anvils.

Imports from wales are good but generally hot spells dont deliver good storms here because they are always easterlies or southerlies and therefore have very short land tracks so no chance of any decent development.

Thanks for that, you can have all the rain that kilkennys getting hammered by next summer . .(except a few heavy showers for grass . .:P)

Advertisement