Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to call it? Snow chances for Winter 2010/2011 all but gone?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Given the fact that we have had High Pressure over Ireland for the past week to 10 days and that it looks likely HP will stay with us for the next five or six days, is it time to declare that there will be no more snow in Ireland for winter 2010/2011?

I am basing my opinion on the following:

1. Time is running out - by the time the current HP system clears Ireland , it could be the second week in February or even later.

2. The sun is getting higher in the sky as each day passes which makes the chances of lying snow in February quite remote.

3. Current models are not even hinting at the possibility of any severe cold for Ireland or indeed Britain.

That said, its been an epic winter in Ireland and one that I will always remember. I am happy for one however just wanted to gauge people's reactions as to whether we might get one more snow event in Ireland before winter 2010/2011 finally passes into the history books :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Yea what a rubbish winter we only had snow on the ground for 30 days, and it its max depth was only ever 18 inches. Oh when are the winters of the 70's and 80's coming back when we had 90 days of snow EVERY year:mad:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Time may be running out for a very severe cold spell like the one past, but snow chances are very far from 'all but gone,'. A brief northerly and I can get snow in February, March or April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Pangea wrote: »
    Time may be running out for a very severe cold spell like the one past, but snow chances are very far from 'all but gone,'. A brief northerly and I can get snow in February, March or April.

April 2008 saw about 3 inches of lying snow here..... for about 4 hours.:pac:

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    April 2008 saw about 3 inches of lying snow here..... for about 4 hours.:pac:
    lol four hours :)
    Had a snow day in April around 5 years ago. It was sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah thats the problem from now on, we got plenty of snow in February and even up to the last day of March last year but theres no chance of it sticking around like it did in December. Even if its cold enough during the day, once the sun hits it it'll start to melt

We got a few cm about 10 days ago but all it did was create a slushy mess that took about 5 days to clear. I'd rather not have a repeat of that

If theres no sign of anything by mid February I think it'll be time to start looking towards the summer and longing for the heat to make a return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

On the night of March 3rd there might be snow. Why? meh! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Yea what a rubbish winter we only had snow on the ground for 30 days, and it its max depth was only ever 18 inches. Oh when are the winters of the 70's and 80's coming back when we had 90 days of snow EVERY year:mad:

;)

LOL :D

Epic winter, 100% agree. However that was not the question!

Harps wrote: »
    If theres no sign of anything by mid February I think it'll be time to start looking towards the summer and longing for the heat to make a return
    Sacrilage!! :pac::pac:
    A white st.patricks day would be nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭compsys

Surely the sun doesn't have any real strength it it until mid March at least? There's just as likely, or indeed more likely, to be close to sub-freezing days in February as there is in January. I remember recent winters where the coldest period was the first week in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

derekon wrote: »
    LOL :D

Epic winter, 100% agree. However that was not the question!
    Epic winter? really? It's a matter of opinion.
    About three weeks of cold/snow, A January that would put you into a coma and as for February? - our high will sink and it will be as mild as any 1990s Feb.

If June was warm and sunny and July and August were crap would that make it an epic summer? As I said, it's a matter of opinion.

• Advertisement

Epic winter? really? It's a matter of opinion.
    Cold decemeber on record, -18 temperatures , over a foot of snow in places in November, over a foot of snow in places in December. Epic!! :D

lads as a chap, I've seen as much snow on the beach in co wicklow in the month of march as I saw in november 2010 and it lasted over a week.
    I've also seen a covering of snow here,real snow in may and june.
    Often at Easter too and a few paddy's day's,one with drifts.

What I've seen several of aswell,would be completely snowless winters and winters where there was early snow and then no more.
    If you got a repeat of the end november 10 synoptics in march,you'd get lots of snow.

So no,it's only time to call it or rather call a halt towards the middle of march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

We haven't had any decent snow here in Waterford since late November/early December, and it certainly wasn't anything like 18 inches, more like 4/5 inches (I can be corrected on that figure). I remember seeing the satellite image of the entire country covered in snow, except of course for the sunny SE. But then again the sunny SE has it's benefits in June, July and August........:D

I much prefer the cold though:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I have heard before that we're more likely to have snow at easter than at christmas, although i don't know how true that is, especially given that easter is nearly in may this year!

I have heard before that we're more likely to have snow at easter than at christmas, although i don't know how true that is, especially given that easter is nearly in may this year!
    I remember studying for my leaving cert lying out in the back garden at Easter and getting a nice tan! I suppose that was the 90's though, maybe there has been cold Easters round our way but I don't recall one tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Well I for one wouldn't call this Winter epic, not down here, the first cold spell a few inches the second one not a flake, no for me it wasn't epic, and to answer the question I don't think we'll have any snow maybe the rest of the country might but then again I don't care, roll on the Spring.

200motels wrote: »
    Well I for one wouldn't call this Winter epic, not down here, the first cold spell a few inches the second one not a flake, no for me it wasn't epic, and to answer the question I don't think we'll have any snow maybe the rest of the country might but then again I don't care, roll on the Spring.
    Thats always the way though.
    This winter so far has had one extreme month and thats all.
    If thats all it has by the end,it will be memorable for that month only but it's not going to be a 47 or 63.

But going back to what you said,it's always the way that even in extreme winters some areas get little snow.
    Western scotland was practically snowless in 47 (not that I remember :p) whilst the rest of Ireland and Britain was buried in it at times.
    Where I live,just 60 miles north of you on the coast,we had lying snow from the 26th of november to the 27th of december.
    That by any standards was extreme and here we did have a max depth of about 18 inches in the week prior to xmas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

fizzycyst wrote: »
    We haven't had any decent snow here in Waterford since late November/early December, and it certainly wasn't anything like 18 inches, more like 4/5 inches (I can be corrected on that figure). I remember seeing the satellite image of the entire country covered in snow, except of course for the sunny SE. But then again the sunny SE has it's benefits in June, July and August........:D

I much prefer the cold though:cool:

What Fizzy said sums up the winter here pretty well. We had 3 excellent snow falls on the 27th and 30th of November and another on the 1st of December. This was proper huge flaky snow which we haven't had down here in years. Had a feeling back then that we wouldn't get anymore snow this Winter and that has been the case so far. December was so frustrating because the cold was there but all those streamers that for example Wexford Town got never made it to us. So i'm going to nail my colours to the mast and predict no more snow for Waterford City this Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭compsys

That's true. Although Easter moves around a lot it usually falls between mid March and early April at which stage it is more likely to snow in the UK and Ireland.

However, this is more a sign of just how unlikely it usually is to snow in December as opposed to March/April being a great time for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Derekon, you've obviously forgotten the picture taken by hotwhiskey on March 30th last year.

Anyway I remember snow falling in the middle of May about 16-17 years ago.

• Advertisement

Derekon, you've obviously forgotten the picture taken by hotwhiskey on March 30th last year.

Anyway I remember snow falling in the middle of May about 16-17 years ago.
    The fires of hell must be pretty icey:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fizzycyst wrote: »
    The fires of hell must be pretty icey:eek:

it was the time the eagles got back together:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thought you'd have learnt you're lesson after last year Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Yeah i think that could be true in most early Easters. I used to go to Cavan regularly at Easter as a child in the early 90s. And quite often it would snow a few inches out of nowhere! But it would melt very fast once the sun came out.
    However i do remember being out in shorts and t-shirts some Easters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

From what I can remember growing up for over 30 years :), February probably has the No. 1 spot if not No.2 as the coldest month of the winter season in Ireland. So there is a high chance of cold again(from tradition :D) but whether it will snow, we'll leave that to the experts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

No way! we're only half way through winter and we have the whole of February and March to look forward to, and those months has produced quite severe snowfalls in the past few years, there may not be much of a big freeze for the rest of winter but there will certainly be more snow to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

My memory may be off, but didn't we once get snow in May about 10 or 15 years back ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭GSF

Sorry to intrude on the grief at the passing of the late lamented (by some) Mr Winter.

Rest In Peace. House Private. No Flowers (obviously!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Models have high pressure over us out to 10 days. This is annoying!

I have faith though and i've ordered 400 sledges! Money where my mouth is etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Best snow on the Hills of Donegal last winter was in March. This photo taken on the 5th. Keep the faith. Plenty of time yet for some more good snow.
    4408600564_7400dd12b3.jpg

Advertisement