Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For ladies who shave.....

Options
  • 25-01-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

i am just out of the shower after having a shave and turns out i think i have come across a new solution for those of you who hate to get your hairs removed via waxing ( i'm one of those ).

anyhow does anyone find shaving your legs and espically your bikini line the hardest?? you can never get it as smooth as maybe if you were brave enough to go through with waxing. think i have come across the solution....

it comes in the form of a product from Lush. for the life of me i can't remember the name of said product but i do know it's an exfolient. anyhow to make your skin extra smooth and easier to shave the hard bits you rub the exfolient bar over the parts you are shaving to make it all smooth and oily and then apply what ever you usually do when your shaving and you have pretty much no red spots and very smooth parts:D

the bar in question you can get as i said earlier in lush. it's a cream bar, tried to find the name on the website but no joy. me going to run in tommorow on way to work and pick up another bar as pretty much gone through the one i had.

just had to share it with someone who i thought may appreciate it. the stores can be found i know on the bottom of grafton st and henry st in dublin. don't know where else they have stores in the country. when i find out the name ill let ye know.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Strange question, but was the bar square? It sounds like you might be talking about the Buffy - I've never tried using it for shaving, I'll have to give it a go! I usually use a squirt of conditioner when I'm shaving my legs, I find it works really well

The other Irish shops are in Cork (Oliver Plunkett St), Newry and Belfast - they could really do with one out west imo! Sorry to sound like an ad, I used to work for the Dublin shops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Thanks for that :D bikini line is such a pain to shave! I will definitely try get my hands on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ya buffy that's the name of it all right. great stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

I am crazy about Lush; they are truly ethical, the stuff smells divine and works like a treat. About 50% of my bathroom cosmetics is from Lush. I('d) have no problem advertising them for free, as they really walk their talk, and their staff are invariably all smiley and happy, be it over here, in UK, or back home on "mainland". It's almost weird! :D

(Yeah, it sounds like it could be the King of Skin. I'm terribly lax about shaving, I just throw on a dollop of whatever [Lush] soap is to hand.)

EDIT: Oh, I meant Buffy of course. Don't think that King is exfoliant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Can you buy Lush products online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

You used to be able to but their website got hacked over the holidays and it is down right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

sounds good. it is so hard to avoid those little red bumps after shaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'm another lushacholic, it's great to be able to use so many of thier products and not have them trigger any allegric reactions. I would be lost with out my pot of Dream Cream and my Godiva Shampoo bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Personally I think Lush are a shower of robbing bastards. A tenner for a bar of soap, ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm not really familiar with Lush products as I live in the west. Out of interest are their products made from natural ingredients or are they just fake natural like the body shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I have to say I am not that impressed with the Lush products. Maybe they are good if you have sensitive skin, but I thought I would treat myself to something nice, as I've heard good things here from others. I walked around the shop sniffing a bunch of different bottles and soaps and didn't like the smell off any of them. Disappointing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I love Lush.
    For anyone in Dublin, I'd recommend any of the staff on Grafton Street. Genuinely helpful, know exactly what products to recommend for your needs / tastes and are very good to regular customers.

Buffy's a great exfoliator. The massage bars are also really good to use in the shower as they melt on to your skin and leave it silky smooth, really moisturised and hydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Slightly off topic but can anyone recommend any other products for the body? I have dry skin on my legs and I shave. I often get ingrown hairs. I am prone to blocked pores and occasional spots on my chest/back which can be oily. Oh, and the dreaded cellulite! Help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Ive tried Buffy and found it good, but a bit too tough on my skin.

I use the Boots Sanctuary Body Scrub 200ml, which I find great for my chest and back especially:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

mood i get that - i find exfoliating with a shower scrunchie right after shaving.. then use a body butter rather than a lotion when moisturising the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I really love Lush. My bathroom is full of their products. I've never tried shaving with any of them though. I tend to use Veet 'cause I find it leaves my legs smoother, but I'll definitely buy Buffy next time I'm stocking up and give this a go. Thanks for the tip! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Ladies, you know the lush products? I always thought they were just designed for the bath. I don't have a bath so never bought anything in there. Plus, I find the staff a bit overwhelming sometimes. Yes, they are helpful but sometimes I find them a bit pushy when I'm just trying to have a quiet nosey around. Do they have many shower products? Are they suitable for people with eczema?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ladies, you know the lush products? I always thought they were just designed for the bath. I don't have a bath so never bought anything in there. Plus, I find the staff a bit overwhelming sometimes. Yes, they are helpful but sometimes I find them a bit pushy when I'm just trying to have a quiet nosey around. Do they have many shower products? Are they suitable for people with eczema?

Lush do all sorts of products. I have shampoo (both liquid and solid), hair conditioner, shower gel and shower jellies, scrubs, body moisturiser, bath bombs, facial cleanser, toner, face masks, hand soap, lip scrub etc.

I know what you mean about the staff. I'm not too keen on that approach either, but in general, I've found them to be lovely. If you don't wanna chat, just say, "I'm just having a look, I'll give you a shout if I get confused!" or whatever.

As for whether they'd be suitable, I'm not entirely sure. If you asked the staff, I'm sure they'd know and would possibly have some recommendations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I used to find the staff overbearing too, but I did find if I just said I'm having a look thanks they gave me some space. Having tried some of their products I now find they can be incredibly helpful at helping you find things you really wouldn't have realised would be good for you. But I do think they are more helpful if you have already tried some as they can give you a more subjective opinion based on what has been good for you or not.

Honestly, the soaps are probably not the best value in comparison to other soaps, but Honey I Washed the Kids is so totally worth it I don't care :pac:

Must try the Buffy thingy for shaving net time I get to one of their shops.

Cheers for that ladies, must go in again then and see how I go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

oh about the staff! you get that in a lot of shops these days... i always try to avoid the salespersons eye contact cos when they reel me in i tend to feel bad if i leave without buying anything so i learnt to say 'im just looking'
    same in lush really.

although the soap is lovely smelling i dont find it any better than say - imperial leather. but they DO have good face creams, body scrubs and the like (dont talk to me about shampoo bars, lol)

but i love, LOVE their massage bars. i hate giving a relative a back massage with body lotion, its too oil and runny and massage oil, is well... oily! but the bar is excellent.

ive actually used the massage bar as a substitue for body lotion on my legs before... so that may be something to try after shaving

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I suffer from eczema (usually on my face and legs) and I've used Lush body washes (think it was the Godiva one) and it was great for my skin, no allergic reaction it was fab. Gave it up as it cost a fortune :)

the bf's daughter has problem skin too and has used the porridge/oatmeal soap on her face and finds it great too.

Ask the staff and they will help you out, and/or give you some samples.

It's the smell of the shops that does my head in :eek:

Thanks stheno, that's good to know.

(On another note, porridge/oatmeal mix is very very good for eczema so hope your bf's daughter keeps it up.)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks stheno, that's good to know.

(On another note, porridge/oatmeal mix is very very good for eczema so hope your bf's daughter keeps it up.)

Thank you :) She's gotten into skincare the past few months, has tried out the Clinique three step and loves it when she doesn't have bad skin, and for Xmas we got her the Soap and Glory Tote bag as part of her present (I got one too!) ( All future birthday, Christmas, and other gift occasions sorted imo :D)

So far neither of us have been allergic to either of those, but the oatmeal/porridge soap she has found to be excellent, as I found the shower gel I used.

Well worth chatting to the staff, if you get them one on one, and politely interrupt their sales patter, and explain what you are after, it tends to focus them more :)

Yeah, I use clinique and soap and glory as well. I was amazed that I didn't have a reaction to soap and glory because it smells so good I expected it to have loads of crap in it but so far so good which makes me happy because before i tried it out I had been using sanex for about 5 years and the smell is just a bit neutral, you know?

Cool, thanks for that, definitely going to go in now. Hate wasting money on products that I then can't continue using because of a reaction!

Sanex is good but just non smelly, I too was amazed with the soap and glory stuff :)

I'm fairly certain the shower gel I used was called Godiva, it smells fantastic and is kinda goldy coloured, the smell lingers as well, kinda like the soap and glory stuff.

Definitely go in, I arranged one day to meet a friend in the Grafton St. store as I'd something to give them and the bf was with me, and was after an exfoliator.

The girl in the shop was incredibly patient, got a little bowl and a bowl of water, and got him to try out three or four on his hand to see what he liked most. I reckon if you went in and explained about the eczema and asked if you could try the Godiva shower gel on your hand/face, then see how you reacted they'd be the same. I think when you know what you are after, or have a recommendation it helps steer the staff if that makes sense? I.e. you don't end up being shown loads of rubbish.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FayeRayRay

I love lush. Never tried it but will have to give it a go

Truley wrote: »
    I'm not really familiar with Lush products as I live in the west. Out of interest are their products made from natural ingredients or are they just fake natural like the body shop?

They are properly natural, organic and ethical.
    http://www.lush.com/lushlife/mar04.htm
    The LUSH Ethics

Spring is in the air and with that in mind, we thought it'd be a good idea to remind us all of the fresh LUSH concept and ethic standards.

There are 233 products on our site, all are vegetarian, 171(73%) are vegan & 154 (66%) are preservative free. We test for safety on humans. We will not purchase any ingredients from organizations that test on animals. This means we can’t currently supply sun protection products or hair gels until certain ingredient manufacturers change their animal testing policy.

HANDMADE
    All our products are made by us by hand. We don’t make anything for anyone else because we’re too busy so if anyone else tells you their stuff is ‘just the same as Lush’ we beg to disagree.

Bath Ballistics and Bars and individually hand molded. Soaps are poured into molds and hand cut. The juice is freshly juiced and ‘dairy’ products (bottles and jars) are hand filled and labeled with the maker’s name. The chocolate is the finest Belgian and has to be hidden until the last minute so that it gets into the massage bars!

Our solid Lush products can be very beautiful to look at and we would understand if you want to put them somewhere so you can admire them. However, they are really best kept in the bathroom. Some of the melty ones (like Luxury Bath Melts, Massage Bars and Body Conditioners) are designed to melt at body temperature; if you put them on the radiator or in direct sunlight they’re going to turn into liquid. Please keep them somewhere cool.

Lush solid products contain perfumes, mostly essential oils from plants. These natural perfumes are strong and have active ingredients (which is why we use them) but we carefully add them to our products so that they have an effect on the hair and skin. It’s not a good idea to store our products naked on anything that may be damaged.

FRESH, NATURAL & ORGANIC
    When we say ‘fresh’ we mean that we squeezed the fruit or veg in our workshops and poured it straight into the mixture. When we say ‘organic’ we use the agricultural term meaning grown without the use of synthetic fertilisers or pesticides. Natural means taken from nature. Some ingredients which we label as synthetic are derived from plants but go through such a lot of processing that they become unrecognisable; for example, sodium palm kernelate (in vegetable soap) is derived from palm trees but we think it is more realistic to describe it as a synthetic than to claim it is natural.

PERFUME
    Legally, we can lump together all the essential oils, plants absolutes and synthetic perfumes we use and call it ‘perfume’ in our ingredients lists. Usually we choose to state most of them separately because we don’t just use them for scent, we also use them for their effect on the mind & body and we like to tell you exactly what we use. However, we don’t want to give everything away! (You’ve got to keep a few secrets, haven’t you?) So when you read ‘perfume’ in our ingredients lists this describes a mixture of several different fragrances which will remain a mystery. (It also makes our products a bit more difficult to copy) If ‘perfume’ is printed in 'red' it means that it is a mixture of purely natural fragrances; if it is printed in black then it also has a synthetic one in there. So now you know.

NUTS
    We use ground nuts and nut oils in some of our products and as our factories are very small it is possible that nut traces could get into anything which we make.

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain the shower gel I used was called Godiva, it smells fantastic and is kinda goldy coloured, the smell lingers as well, kinda like the soap and glory stuff.

Godiva is a solid shampoo and conditioner bar.
    The shower gel would be the Flying Fox one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi.
    Just wondering if Lush do any shower products for oily skin? I have started getting spots on my back in the last couple of months.think its because i came off the pill but im in my mid twenties so its really frustrating!! Cant seem to ever find a shower gel for oily skin.They are all for dry skin which would make my back even worse! Thanks..

Advertisement