Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors Office

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curlym0zzy

On a less serious note….I feel a bit like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTzEybULzRg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

In the OP words 'Then he told me to take off my top and proceeded to do a breast examination.'

I agree with other that he should have asked rather than told her to take off her top etc but when he asked her to do this she knew he was going to do a breast exam. She should have refused if it didn't feel right. Or she should make an official complaint if she feel he groped rather then examined her. Obviously OP should go to a different GP in the future as she didn't like him manner.

See….I kinda skimmed the circumstances because I didn’t want to seem like a paranoid ridiculous person etc.

But whole experience was kinda awkward, when he told me to take off my top, I told him I wasn’t wearing a top, which then he touched the false seam at the waist of my dress that he thought was two separate pieces to get it off me, I said it’s a dress and told me to take dress off....if I wasn’t comfortable I know I shouldn't have but I just assumed it was by Irish prudishness…...he also made references to the size of my breasts and told me some stories about his wife’s breasts and how they changed in size with pregnancy etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Curlym0zzy wrote: »
    ...he also made references to the size of my breasts and told me some stories about his wife’s breasts and how they changed in size with pregnancy etc.

That imo is inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Stheno wrote: »
    That imo is inappropriate.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Doctors can abuse their position.

A) They should never make you feel uncomfortable.
    b) Talking about the size of your breasts is highly inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Based on the fact he just did the exam without asking her/telling her what he was going to do, ie 'well i will check your breasts now IF THAT'S OK and show you how to check them, what to feel for' etc etc, that's the understanding I had of from the original post, maybe I misunderstood? If my gp just grabbed my breasts without first asking if I wanted a breast exam/telling me she should check them, even if we were having a 'breast conversation' I wouldn't be impressed and my gp is female!!

the op never said he did that.

she specifically stated that after discussing how to do a self-exam he then "asked me to take off my top"

he didnt just all of a sudden grab her boobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

b) Talking about the size of your breasts is highly inappropriate.

not necessarily, it depends on context.

i have had GPs comment on the size of my breasts (rather large) to ask if they cause back pain and if i require analgesia for that.

i would not see a problem with that.

on the other hand,if he made a comment like "omg check out those knockers" then yes, thats inappropriate.

and talking about his wife's breasts is inappropriate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Unless we hear both sides of the exchange, without bias, then none of us can comment on whether or not anything was inappropriate. The OP clearly felt unhappy with her treatment and this has perhaps coloured her perception of what exactly happened. There's two sides to every story, and I find it extremely unfair to condemn someone as being "inappropriate" without having a clue what the context of the remarks was. Perhaps it was inappropriate, perhaps it wasn't - that is NOT our call to make here.

Well specifically he said they were small but that this did not reduce possibility of breast cancer as is a common myth.
    He then said not to let anyone make me feel bad about them being small and told me his wife's were small but that pregnancy changed all that and that those were the days. All the while I'm topless and speechless.

• Advertisement

I agree with you Faith, I was just a bit astounded at the whole experience and totally agree that there are two sides and that he does breast checks day in and day out. I'm sure he couldn't care less about my breasts aesthetically. It's my personal decision not to visit him again as he manner and approach didn't work for me. I just wanted a sense of the norms so I'm more comfortable in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I agree with you Faith, I was just a bit astounded at the whole experience and totally agree that there are two sides and that he does breast checks day in and day out. I'm sure he couldn't care less about my breasts aesthetically. It's my personal decision not to visit him again as he manner and approach didn't work for me. I just wanted a sense of the norms so I'm more comfortable in the future.

I'm not by any means having a go at you, by the way :). I've never had a breast check, and would be surprised if an unfamiliar doctor suddenly did one. You're right to ask if this is common, but it's just not our place to judge the doctor I don't feel. If you weren't comfortable with him, then by all means find a new doctor - and remember that you can always ask them to clarify what they're doing :).

Ya, I think I was more annoyed with myself than anything, for going along mindlessly and not just saying no if I didn't want to proceed.

You reach your mid 20s and think your more mature, self assured and confident!

I think I'll just put it all down to experience and try find a doctor from a friends recommendation rather than from the golden pages :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think I'll just put it all down to experience and try find a doctor from a friends recommendation rather than from the golden pages :)

Op you can't beat a personal recommendation, best of luck in finding a new doctor :)

On that note, I'm going to close the thread as your OP has been answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement