Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors Office

Options
  • 25-01-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi There, I just wanted to get some ladies opinions on Doctor etiquette. I am fortunate enough not to have had to visit doctor much in my life but recently I had to renew my prescription for my pill.

I've just moved to I had to find a doctor local. He wrote me out my prescription and then started asking me questions about my breasts. Medical questions , asking if I checked them etc. telling me best time to check them etc. Which I told him I do (I'm 24) Then he told me to take off my top and proceeded to do a breast examination. Gloveless.

Is it normal for a doctor to do a breast check if you don't ask for one? And should they wear gloves? Just curious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Personally I prefer going to a female doctor. My last breast exam was done gloveless I think. I didn't ask for one but my doctor had a student doctor in her office for experience I assume so I didn't have a problem with it.

Did he ask about your last smear etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curlym0zzy

I'm 24 do he just said 25 was the magic number and to book in for one then. I'm sure I'm just being silly....it was just a bit unexpected, I suppose different doctors have different bed side manners....I've literally only visited a doctor office about 3 times in my life (I know I'm lucky) so I'm not really sure what to expect there..

I asked him if pill was related to breast cancer, he said no but I like to take the opportunity with young women to get them into routine of breast checking(I may thank him in the future).....which I suppose makes sense so .....still I think I'll go to a female next time round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Did he ask about your family history? Because in some cases the pill can be related to breast cancer, my mother had b.c. and so my (female) gp took me off the combined pill and put me on the other one, now I'm older than you and that was the main reason for switching but still I'm surprised he said that b.c. and the pill weren't connected. To be honest he sounds a bit creepy, I'm sure that's just his 'manner', personally I always prefer a female gp especially for things like breast checks and smears (or the nurse can do your smear and they're usually female)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I go to a clinic that has male and female doctors and in fairness every time I've gone to get the pill renewed they have asked me about breast checks. One female GP did an exam on me, but did ask if I minded first.

I think your doctor could have been a little more polite about they way he went about it, and if you don't like his etiquette just go to someone else. I think it's really important to be comfortable with your GP!

Ya, I had thought it was linked in some way which was why I thought he did a breast check. He didn’t ask any family history which I also thought was odd....Lesson learned female GP next time, just for peace of mind….I just thought it’d be a standard, do you smoke? Blood Pressure check and you know its not 100% effective and you can still contract STIs….€60 then on my merry way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

Being honest it sounds fairly standard so I wouldn't worry. My GP is male but there is also a female doctor in his practice so I do try to go to her if she's available for pill prescriptions.(I got to the male if I'm actually sick because imo he is a brilliant doctor) If she's not on I go to the male and seems whichever one I end up with they do a breast exam maybe every second or third visit.

Funny now you mention it I think the male wears gloves and the female doesn't.

I was a bit wary of these things myself in my early twenties too but in a couple of years once you've had lots of checks and start having smears etc you probably won't be a bit phased by it. If you ever go through a pregnancy you definitely won't I've had examinations in the last 8 months I never thought I'd have... who knew they'd to shine a torch up there :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

When I was on the pill, my doctor used to check my blood pressure and my breasts every time she gave me a repeat prescription... She was female though, and she wore gloves. If you felt uncomfortable, maybe just go to a female doctor next time as the other posters have suggested.

Thanks for the info everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

He should have asked your permission before touching you. If he didn't then it was very inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

When I was 17 I was at a female doctor to renew my pill prescription. She was taking my blood pressure and all of a sudden put her hands up my top to check my breasts, no gloves, no warning, for a 17 year old it was quite a shock. It put me off going to doctors for ages but no other doctor has ever done it like that, they always ask first. I've never had a doctor do it with gloves which I don't mind really, the more accurate they can feel them the better.

I actually had to go to a consultant last year about a breast related issue, when he was examining he closed his eyes, there was a brief second of wtf in my head until I realised he was doing it to concentrate on touch alone, made me feel much happier that he was really taking it seriously and making sure all was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

every pill check i've had included a breast exam.

if it didnt, i would ask for one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gosh, I've never had a breast check and I have a history of breast cancer... I am only 23 though, does age make a difference? I've never heard of any of my friends getting breast checks regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'm sure doctors don't see breasts as "zomg bewbz!" It's just another body part - seen one (two?!) seen them all. If you didn't want him to you could have said I'm not comfortable. In future go to a female GP if that's what you'd prefer. DEFINITELY female gyn for a smear test and make sure she's lovely because I was traumatised by my smear! *shudder*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Some GPs act very impersonal, and probably could learn to improve their "bedside manner," moving from one diagnostic routine to another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've never had one, only a blood pressure check :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

bluewolf wrote: »
    I've never had one, only a blood pressure check :confused:

me either :confused: never heard of anyone having one either. weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Yeah, I've been on the Pill for years and have never have a breast exam, only a blood pressure check. Tbh, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with the described situation.

How is it weird for a doctor to give a woman a breast check? Surely he was just doing his job. I think it's weird and irresponsible for a doctor not to do a breast exam. It's not only older women who get breast cancer you know. If any woman would be uncomfortable with a male doctor doing it go to a female doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

For the love of God, get a grip. The doctor is a trained medical professional& has spent the bones 10 years hard graft to become a GP. He's not going to risk his reputation,& years of hard work& sacrifice, for a 5 second "grope" of a womans' breasts! (Logically, he's either married, or with a girlfriend, either of whom would oblige, risk free& in a more romantic setting). He was simply being thorough- something which most patients would thank him for, not be suspicious about. Do male gynaecologists get a kick out of examining womens' nether regions? NO. General practice doctors are no different, breasts are part of the body& that's that.
    Also, all this waffle about him "not asking permission"- surely by virtue of the fact the OP had to take off her top by herself would have been considered indirectly giving permission?
    Surely if she wasn't keen she could have said "Actually, would you mind, I'm a bit embarrassed, can I defer this for another day?". If she wasn't happy, the man isn't a mind-reader, she should have opened her mouth& said. It's not the 1950's!
    People are ridiculously sensitive nowadays, it's crazy that a GP should have to tiptoe around the topic of giving someone a breast exam- a standard screening procedure which may someday save a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A lot of oral contraceptive pills are based on high dose oestrogen, and a lot of breast cancers are linked to oestrogen also. So it wouldn't be totally off the mark for him to suggest a breast check.
    Maybe he's had a young female patient in recently who's been diagnosed with breast cancer, ergo making him extra vigilant?
    The poster had a breast cancer screening in a clinical setting, I wouldn't get all worked up about the ins and outs of it, other than to say it's good to see a GP spending time educating patients.
    Re wearing gloves, there's nothing on healthy unbroken skin that's transmissable(just a few skin cells& sweat). You'd probably pick up more germs shaking hands at a funeral.
    Also, more than likely, gloves would give less feedback as to any small lumps/bumps present.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No I wouldnt expect a doctor to be wearing gloves while giving a breast exam.

mood wrote: »
    How is it weird for a doctor to give a woman a breast check?

it's not
    Surely he was just doing his job

exactly
    I think it's weird and irresponsible for a doctor not to do a breast exam

it is, because...
    It's not only older women who get breast cancer you know.

but then, take a look on the morning after pill thread and you'll find doctors being slated for giving safe-sex and contraceptive advice to, wait for it, women who come in after either having unsafe sex or a contraceptive failure. again, just being thorough and doing their job, but it's seen as unnecessary/unwelcome/patronising etc. yet, to not do so would be negligent.

damned if you do and damned if you dont

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Did he ask about your family history? Because in some cases the pill can be related to breast cancer, my mother had b.c. and so my (female) gp took me off the combined pill and put me on the other one, now I'm older than you and that was the main reason for switching but still I'm surprised he said that b.c. and the pill weren't connected. To be honest he sounds a bit creepy, I'm sure that's just his 'manner', personally I always prefer a female gp especially for things like breast checks and smears (or the nurse can do your smear and they're usually female)

seriously?

creepy?

based on what?

the fact that he checked if the OP examined her own breasts, advised her on how to do it and then carried out a physical exam of her breasts?

seriously?

WindSock wrote: »
    No I wouldnt expect a doctor to be wearing gloves while giving a breast exam.

Why? If it hinders the process, which it most likely would, how would it be a good idea?

Here is a link that might be useful:
    http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/guide/doctors-breast-exam

Sorry, didn’t mean to start a massive debate. I was more curious as to other people experiences since mine are so limited(no mam or sisters to ask). As a person who has literally been in a doctors office 3 times in my life I just wanted to know routine. He was rather abrupt, which I was down to bad manner and no type of unprofessionalism at all. However it has to be noted that people do feel vulnerable in a Doctors office, I think it’d be nice for a doc male or female to take the time to explain what’s happening, it may be routine for them (I know they do it everyday for a living)but not for their patient. But as I said before I’ll probably thank him in later life. Thanks for all ye’re insights.

Curlym0zzy wrote: »
    Sorry, didn’t mean to start a massive debate. I was more curious as to other people experiences since mine are so limited(no mam or sisters to ask). As a person who has literally been in a doctors office 3 times in my life I just wanted to know routine. He was rather abrupt, which I was down to bad manner and no type of unprofessionalism at all. However it has to be noted that people do feel vulnerable in a Doctors office, I think it’d be nice for a doc male or female to take the time to explain what’s happening, it may be routine for them (I know they do it everyday for a living)but not for their patient. But as I said before I’ll probably thank him in later life. Thanks for all ye’re insights.

Maybe you should read up a bit about the regular health checks a woman should have for example a smear. It sounds like you never had one and you should have once you become sexually active. You need to educate your self as doctors won't assume it's all new to you. Unfortunately I can't recommend a book or website but maybe others can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

sam34 wrote: »
    seriously?

creepy?

based on what?

the fact that he checked if the OP examined her own breasts, advised her on how to do it and then carried out a physical exam of her breasts?

seriously?

Based on the fact he just did the exam without asking her/telling her what he was going to do, ie 'well i will check your breasts now IF THAT'S OK and show you how to check them, what to feel for' etc etc, that's the understanding I had of from the original post, maybe I misunderstood? If my gp just grabbed my breasts without first asking if I wanted a breast exam/telling me she should check them, even if we were having a 'breast conversation' I wouldn't be impressed and my gp is female!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Curlym0zzy wrote: »
    I think it’d be nice for a doc male or female to take the time to explain what’s happening, it may be routine for them (I know they do it everyday for a living)but not for their patient.

I'm always one for asking "What's this for?", "Why do you do that?" and so on. My dentist is always happy to explain but also says that many people don't want to know a thing. So ask...

Hi just to make it a bit clearer I have had a breast examination before, but it was different in so far as I specifically went to the doc with the purpose of having one done. The doctor, wore gloves and had a much better manner.So I just wanted anecdotal experience of the other ladies here. Also in regards to the smear testing, I was given doctors advise not to have on until I’m 25. I do keep myself well informed but I was interested in knowing about the general experience of Irish women behind closed doors of docs offices…books and websites don’t really provide that info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

dafdga wrote: »
    For the love of God, get a grip. The doctor is a trained medical professional& has spent the bones 10 years hard graft to become a GP. He's not going to risk his reputation,& years of hard work& sacrifice, for a 5 second "grope" of a womans' breasts! (Logically, he's either married, or with a girlfriend, either of whom would oblige, risk free& in a more romantic setting). He was simply being thorough- something which most patients would thank him for, not be suspicious about. Do male gynaecologists get a kick out of examining womens' nether regions? NO. General practice doctors are no different, breasts are part of the body& that's that.
    Also, all this waffle about him "not asking permission"- surely by virtue of the fact the OP had to take off her top by herself would have been considered indirectly giving permission?
    Surely if she wasn't keen she could have said "Actually, would you mind, I'm a bit embarrassed, can I defer this for another day?". If she wasn't happy, the man isn't a mind-reader, she should have opened her mouth& said. It's not the 1950's!
    People are ridiculously sensitive nowadays, it's crazy that a GP should have to tiptoe around the topic of giving someone a breast exam- a standard screening procedure which may someday save a life.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/doctor-cleared-of-improper-sexual-conduct-2511020.html

No smoke without fire and as usual doctors word against patient wins out

If anyone is uncomfortable with the questioning or insinuations, then stand up for yourself and decline to answer or undergo tests.
    Seek further medical advice with someone you are comfortable with.

Doctors need to broach subjects in a more sympathetic manner and explain why ..patients are not mind readers either.

To the OP
    You were right to ask if it was normal or not, and if you felt uncomfortable with what was happening then be sure to stop them and make alternate appt if need be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement