Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 3: Raspberry and Pecan Blondies

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭

For anybody who doesn't know, blondies are just a white chocolate version of brownies, they're much lighter to each and not as filling. I like to put a bit of a twist to mine and add some pecans and raspberries. It's a combination that I think works really well, and they never last too long. It's a pretty simple recipe too.

222B5F4BDCF04B05BCB4FE679DACA13C-0000316660-0002137068-00500L-B1EB2EA40D554BCD8B9ECD11B5E10F28.jpg

Ingredients

- 150g White Chocolate
    - 125g Unsalted Butter
    - 150g Caster Sugar
    - 2 eggs
    - 1.5 tsps Vanilla Essence
    - 200g Plain Flour
    - A Pinch of Salt
    - 120g Shelled Pecan nuts
    - Raspberries (enough to cover the top)

Method

- Preheat the oven to 170°C

- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water

- Remove from the heat and add the sugar. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated

- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. (Make sure you stir briskly, so the eggs don’t scramble!)

- Sift in the flour and mix.

- Add the salt and pecan nuts and mix until evenly dispersed.

- Pour the mixture into a baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper.

- Scatter the raspberries over the top of the batter. (It’s doesn’t really matter too much how much you use, I usually just judge by eye how much I think is enough)

- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.

E3CFB4E31E8645DEA1554854ACE38B82-0000316660-0002137069-00500L-46C56FD99F77476398C3FC04B6507AC8.jpg

2AA194A63806403FAE76738F293F1483-0000316660-0002137067-00500L-C77462F838A44793B94A8F3C93D9F10A.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yum, they look tasty! Never heard of blondies before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh my god, screw the diet, I'm making these tonight!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, a friend of mine has a recipe similar to this which I was going to use on here. :pac: Will definitely give your version a shot. :)

Faith wrote: »
    Oh my god, screw the diet, I'm making these tonight!!

This is the problem - everyone's on a bloody diet these days. Then they blame it on the baker when they succumb to temptation! I can't eat them all myself! :p

Malari wrote: »
    This is the problem - everyone's on a bloody diet these days. Then they blame it on the baker when they succumb to temptation! I can't eat them all myself! :p

That's exactly why I don't bake half as often as I'd like to - people make such a fuss about getting fat! I only want one or two of a batch, other people have to eat the rest!

That's one reason why I really miss my ex-boyfriend - he'd happily scoff everything I baked and never complain about being on a diet :D

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    That's exactly why I don't bake half as often as I'd like to - people make such a fuss about getting fat! I only want one or two of a batch, other people have to eat the rest!

That's one reason why I really miss my ex-boyfriend - he'd happily scoff everything I baked and never complain about being on a diet :D

Oh my boyfriend will eat everything too, that's why he complains. Bloody cyclists...worse than women ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There's a distinct lack of white chocolate in the local supermarket. Hmm.

I got some "luxury white chocolate" in the baking section of Tesco. I've used this stuff before and it's reasonably good. Better than the Wunderbar chocolate-flavour stuff anyway, yuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The Wunderbar stuff is horrible I agree. If I can't find better cooking chocolate, I usually combine some of that with just standard chocolate and it works out fine.

Although I made brownies with all Lindt chocolate around Christmas and they were amazing.

• Advertisement

True to my post, I made them tonight :D. Slight alteration - they became mixed berry, and I didn't use pecans. I used Butler's Mixed Berry White Chocolate. They are delicious!!

163460_748820106951_61007445_43595000_675598_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

These look yum, was thinking a good option for my weekend splurge!

Thinking mixed berries could be tasty- could I just use the frozen ones, and I presume frozen to mix cos otherwise very wet??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Love blondies!!! Made peanut butter blondies before and they were yum.

Ok to use frozen raspberries?? Also, can you just pecans up anywhere?

Will Deffo be trying these :)

I used frozen berries. The end result was that the batter still looks a bit raw around the berries. It tastes great, and maybe I should have just left them in for another 5 minutes, but I got really impatient :D. But in my experience, mushiness around berries can be a common problem with frozen ones, and isn't anything to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh God I almost wish I hadn't clicked in to look at this week's recipe!! So tempting! Am off tomorrow too, hmmm think I'll have to give them a whirl. Are pecans readily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've mainly just used frozen berries when I've made them before. I let them defrost a bit though and slightly dry them with some kitchen roll so they aren't too wet.

Angeldelight: you can get pecans in telco. They usually aren't too expensive, in the one near me they are with the other baking stuff

Urgh, not an egg in sight when I got home. An unprecedented event in our house. Will have to try them tonight instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Oooh haven't made Blondies in ages, mostly because the last time i made a batch they disappeared so quickly i didn't get a sniff of them myself:confused:

Nice recipe, i've never made them with melted chocolate, i would usually throw in choclate chips as part of the mix, does it change the texture much?

Also, if pecans aren't to your taste i can reccomend macadamia nuts-the result is NYOM!!!

0ed6975f.jpg

Yummy! I was afraid I'd done something wrong at first because the chocolate and butter mixture looked awful but it turned out ok in the end. I used frozen raspberries too because I couldn't get fresh and it was delish. I've had 3 and have sent the rest off with my dad to bring into the staff room so at least I won't have to eat any more! Very tasty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I can't believe I have never noticed The Cooking Club until now it's terrible :eek::eek: I am totally signing up next year :D

I hope you guys don't mind in me taking part in the cooking/baking :D

These were so easy to make I was quite happy with my results they look good if I do say so myself, my only negative was I wish my raspberry's could have been fresher.

166435_10150090178192259_833992258_6014977_2880744_n.jpg

• Advertisement

I too had a moment of fright when the chocolate and butter mix seemed to split. The sugar did nothing to help, but the eggs went in and sorted the whole lot out. Phew.

I used walnuts and blueberries, which were lovely and juicy when you bit into them :D

I want more :-(

My boyfriend texted me at lunchtime yesterday saying "I love your whiteys".

Took me a while to figure out he meant the blondies, and wasn't poking through my undies drawer or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I got some "luxury white chocolate" in the baking section of Tesco. I've used this stuff before and it's reasonably good. Better than the Wunderbar chocolate-flavour stuff anyway, yuk.
    Heck with that. Use the Green&Blacks white chocolate instead. Far, far, far better.

Hard not to eat it out of hand though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Sparks wrote: »
    Heck with that. Use the Green&Blacks white chocolate instead. Far, far, far better.

Definitely. Always get the best ingredients you can afford - you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear!

Sparks wrote: »

OK, never tried it! Don't eat much chocolate, but will give it a go next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

OK, never tried it! Don't eat much chocolate, but will give it a go next time.

You wont be disappointed. Green and Blacks white chocolate is SENSATIONAL!!:) /drools

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Made these tonight with the Green & Blacks white choc and used some frozen summer mixed berries from Dunnes - very very tasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TheFlamingo

Made these yesterday and they were gorgeous. Am currently eating my fourth one.. :D I'll try and get a picture up at some stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

What can I say... having a glass of vino and some freshly cooked blondies - What a lovely way to spend a Friday night.

These are yummy - thanks so much for the recipe!!!

Advertisement