Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams? Are things that bad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

when did you dream up the term northern irish. it is honestly the stupidest thing i have ever seen on boards
    what's stupid is anyone who cant see that we are separate countries.i hate the fact that we have to share a rugby team and all that palaver over national anthems.why cant they have their own team like in soccer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

So you're telling me that if we went out onto the streets and asked 100 people "What is Gerry Adams most well known for?", the reply would be his politics?

Yes. IRA etc, republican, that would be his politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Sure our President is from Belfast.

I don't see the difference myself. GAA clubs come from all 32 Counties. And we even have an all-Ireland rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

So you're telling me that if we went out onto the streets and asked 100 people "What is Gerry Adams most well known for?", the reply would be his politics? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm off to bed now. I'll end by saying this. SF chose an area where they knew Adams would get in. His and his party's policies appeal to the lower classes who have been victimised, and SF can make these wonderful promises knowing full well they will never actually have to enforce or carry through on them. Most of these promises revolve around saying how they are against the unpopular (yet, sadly, often nessecary) policies of the more popular parties, rather than what they actually are for.

In the meanwhile, people are so desperate for a change, so desperate for an alternative, that they vote for SF. Let's not kid ourselves; people do not trust FF or FG, nor is there much love for Labour or the Greens. People feel disenchanted and angry with how the country has been run for the last few years and are choosing the only real alternative, no matter how flimsey the policies of the alternatives actually are off of paper.

I'd love to see the breakdown of the ages who voted for SF; I have a feeling you'll find the majority of people who voted are from a younger generation who want to have a different style of government; a youthful generation to now relate politics and democracy to a bunch of bad apples and fail to seperate the system from the corrupt people running it. SF happen to be in the right place at the right time and capitalised on tactical voting, sending their most "popular" candidate into an area where the promises would appeal the most. As far as a "The people have spoken" attitude, you're right, but only to an extent; it's not that a majority have voted GA in but rather a large minority. In fact, looking at the results, on a party basis, the largest minorty voted for FG, but split their votes over two candidates whereas SF had the common sense to only put up the one.

That is, and please note the sarcasm, the "joys" of our democratic election system.

You asked me earlier if I thought someone attacking spelling, punctuation, etc was a sign someone was losing an arguement, and I said no. To me, a sign that someone is losing and knows it is when they make a grand statement, are asked to back it up and reply that the can't be bothered, as if their nonchalance is enough to excuse them from logical and rational debate; a trick which a few of the pro-SF voters in this topic have fallen back on a few times now.

Anyway, yeah. I'm going to rest my weary head now. Night y'all.

Jesus teamshadow you sholud rest easy tonight, having gotten that weight off your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

hamlet1 wrote: »
    what's stupid is anyone who cant see that we are separate countries.i hate the fact that we have to share a rugby team and all that palaver over national anthems.why cant they have their own team like in soccer?

sure why dont we have a wetern ireland team and a southern ireland team and one from eastern ireland. seriously sounds like you have a problem and should seek medical advice

• Advertisement

caseyann wrote: »
    You see this is where your problem lies.You see a border where he doesnt and we dont.Only by British paper is that border there but guess what not for very much longer :) They are Irish natives just because been under rule of British and had basically no choice in it does not make them any less Irish.
    You do realize they are Irish,the term northern Irish is like made up lol
    i personally will never see them as anything other than northern irish.they are a different breed and i would utterly hate to be united with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Glanced through some of the comments and saw the usual waffle that ignores the obvious. .

Gerry Adams knows little of Republican of Ireland politics. I dont care that he runs for Sinn Fein, its just sad that people voted for him because he is a Sinn Fein Candidate and ran down here soley as a PR stunt for his party. .

That said, he isnt any less qualified then many of the twats I see getting elected and the people little qualified to competently run a country. While I am quite disgusted that he ran down South (simply because he is not a Southern politician at a time we need politicians who represent Southern Ireland most), but other party members cannot say they wouldnt of used the same immoral tactic to get one of their members into power. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Drumpot wrote: »
    Glanced through some of the comments and saw the usual waffle that ignores the obvious. .

Gerry Adams knows little of Republican of Ireland politics. I dont care that he runs for Sinn Fein, its just sad that people voted for him because he is a Sinn Fein Candidate and ran down here soley as a PR stunt for his party. .

That said, he isnt any less qualified then many of the twats I see getting elected and the people little qualified to competently run a country. While I am quite disgusted that he ran down South (simply because he is not a Southern politician at a time we need politicians who represent Southern Ireland most), but other party members cannot say they wouldnt of used the same immoral tactic to get one of their members into power. .

Its done get over it,the majority want him and feel he is right for them.
    He ran for Louth because he felt it was time and wanted to help and i am sure feel apart of the whole of Ireland as he is Irish.

i personally will never see them as anything other than northern irish.they are a different breed and i would utterly hate to be united with them.

Somebody need a hug. :)

sure why dont we have a wetern ireland team and a southern ireland team and one from eastern ireland. seriously sounds like you have a problem and should seek medical advice
    we dont need separate teams down here because we are all the same.and no i dont have a medical problem,only a problem with up there trying to sneak in down here

• Advertisement

He ran for Louth because he felt it was time and wanted to help and i am sure feel apart of the whole of Ireland as he is Irish.

Sorry for delay in responding, had to regain my composure after nearly pi**ing myself with laughter at your post. .

Most people who voted for him prob didnt even know why. They voted for him cause he represented change, what change they didnt know as he is a relative virgin of Irish Politics down South.

Adams represents everything that is wrong with Southern Irish Politics. Voting for the party, not the candidate.

I for one have not voted for Gerry Adams, purely from a political bias and certainly respect those who have, as it is their opinion. I have enjoyed tonights discussion. But referring to anyone as 'them' and a 'differrent breed' I find both offensive and racist and lacking the insight of any educated person. As for all been the same 'down here', I hope I am in no way smilar to you.

Sorry for delay in responding, had to regain my composure after nearly shi**ing myself with laughter. .

Most people who voted for him prob didnt even know why. They voted for him cause he represented change, what change they didnt know as he is a relative virgin of Irish Politics down South.

Adams represents everything that is wrong with Southern Irish Politics. Voting for the party, not the candidate.

Have you ever met Gerry?

Have you ever met Gerry?

No, but I met Bertie and he certainly had a certain thing about him when he was Taoiseach , a real people person and even though I always thought he was a chancer, he still had a likable rogueness about him .. .

I tell you what. Please feel free to look through my posts in boards.ie. I have no axe to grind with any particular party, I have a problem with all of them and the way they strategically do things to strategically "dupe" the irish electorate.

I dont think what SF did with Gerry is any differant to what any other party would of tried in the exact same position.

I have judged Gerry Adams in what his greatest asset is, his ability to speak and debate things he is versed in. With regards to Northern Politics, I wouldnt dare challenge him on anything and I would imagine even the most educated rival struggles to beat him in a heated debate.

However, I would love the opportunity to pick his brain with regards to Irish politics and our current economic situation. Not because I want to catch him out, but because the strength of the votes he got do not represent the knowledge he has shown publically in debates, in comparison to the situation we find ourselves in. As I said, I am happy to admit that we vote in people with less credibility/competency then Adams, but that does not excuse the fact that him running in Louth was an SF PR stunt.

I dont have a problem with Gerry, in fact he will be an improvement on the quality of politicians we have in many constituancys down South, but I think when you choose to ignore the motive behind a parties actions you learn nothing. I dont believe that Gerry is down here for Ireland, I believe he is down here for SF. If you are wondering what I base my beliefs on, I dont think its that difficult to educate yourself on basic economics in Ireland. He has shown a complete inability to use one of his greatest traits (debating) in discussions/debates about Irish politics and not once did I find his points convincing.

He might be a nice guy with genuine desire to do good for Ireland, but I didnt see it. All I saw was a "political masterstroke" by SF which is not the kind of progression I want to see in Ireland.You cant blame any Irish Person to be dubious of any politician or parties motive for doing certain things (like running a Northern politician in the South) in the interest in the party, not the country, so dont take it personally.

I for one have not voted for Gerry Adams, purely from a political bias and certainly respect those who have, as it is their opinion. I have enjoyed tonights discussion. But referring to anyone as 'them' and a 'differrent breed' I find both offensive and racist and lacking the insight of any educated person. As for all been the same 'down here', I hope I am in no way smilar to you.
    seeing as you seem to love all things north im sure you are totally different to me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

No, but I met Bertie and he certainly had a certain thing about him when he was Taoiseach , a real people person and even though I always thought he was a chancer, he still had a likable rogueness about him .. .
    Funnily enough, I was pretty sure he was a crook since he was in the Fianna Fail party, so I'd obviously never vote for him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

still going on about the vat rate didnt anybody tell you he got elected
    Oh so now that he's elected it's OK that he's clueless when it comes to Irish taxation?

I suppose those of us who disapprove of SF and their terrorist friends can take comfort in the fact that as well as SF have done in this election they are STILL less popular than FF!! (and by f**k that's unpopular!!).

But... they now have more seats than they've ever had in the Daíl before. I'd like to ask the SF supporters what they expect from SF in the next few years? Not what you want from SF but what you expect realistically. Serious question.

I'd like them to see them increase pressure on the gov to take back the royalties to our natural resources and launch an inquiry into how Ray Burke gave them away in the first place. This is in their manifesto but I'd like to see them prioritise it. I'd also like them to stay away from state financial issues until such a time as they know what they are talking about.

Since when is 21% a majority?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I was pretty sure he was a crook since he was in the Fianna Fail party, so I'd obviously never vote for him anyway.

Han solo was a mercenary but that didnt stop him from being the most likable character in the original Star Wars trilogy.

Being a crook is not something that seems to bother most people . .

seeing as you seem to love all things north im sure you are totally different to me!

I dont know where you got that information from, I know very little about 'the North' as you refer to it, but I certainly am totally different than you. I respect opinion and dont need you or others to speak on my behalf when refering to Ireland, North or South.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    Since when is 21% a majority?

It's called P.R. my friend .... the best thing the British left us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportional_Representation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Voting for the party, not the candidate.
    So your talking about Peter Fitzpatrick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

It truly is a sad day for Irish politics when Gerry Adams gets voted as a TD
    and the likes of Mary Lou Mc Donald...for this alone I will never be able to forgive FF for.

Did Kathryn Reilly get voted in Cavan/Monaghan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I aluded to this a few pages and weeks ago but I'll do so again. You cannot simply say that people not happy with the result should "get over it". GA has been chosen to represent us, not by a majority but by the largest minority. As such, he now must face the reality that his every action as our rep will be under scrutiny. That's how it should be; if we, as a people, make sure that every politican is constantly critiqued, then we should not get the same widespread corruption as we have with other leaders. As our rep, he must realise "his" people (all of them, not just the large minority who picked him) will now have expectations.

It is highly ignorant to say "Get over it", in that now, as we move on, we must all make sure he represents us the way the majority want. We must make sure he fulfills his job as a rep of Louth and focuses his attention on Louth issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

I'm guessing that you're from Drogheda? where Micheal Bell was voted in for decades, now HE was a joke!

At least mickey bell was a politician with an actual interest in politics . Fitzpatrick is a joke with no ideas and no clue . He was thrown in because of who he is and not because of what he believes . FG knew because there was no chance any of the other candidates from dundalk like deary etc would have a pups chance of getting in, fitz would be a sure thing .FG claiming they want to end croneyism in politics :D ? There off to a bad start . And by the way in case you didnt know a huge part of mickey bells vote came from Dundalk ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just looked at Gerry's wiki page.

Someone out there trying to say something with this image?

Gerry_Adams_SF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

I aluded to this a few pages and weeks ago but I'll do so again. You cannot simply say that people not happy with the result should "get over it". GA has been chosen to represent us, not by a majority but by the largest minority. As such, he now must face the reality that his every action as our rep will be under scrutiny. That's how it should be; if we, as a people, make sure that every politican is constantly critiqued, then we should not get the same widespread corruption as we have with other leaders. As our rep, he must realise "his" people (all of them, not just the large minority who picked him) will now have expectations.

It is highly ignorant to say "Get over it", in that now, as we move on, we must all make sure he represents us the way the majority want. We must make sure he fulfills his job as a rep of Louth and focuses his attention on Louth issues.
    surely its his job to represent the people who supported why would he want to represent the right wing unionist apoligists who voted fine gael

surely its his job to represent the people who supported why would he want to represent the right wing unionist apoligists who voted fine gael
    You are the perfect example of why I, and 90% of the people, do not vote Sinn Fein.

How is saying get over it,saying anything else? But get over it?
    God some people just pick and pick just to be better than others.
    As Louth rep he will do everything in his power to do whats best for the constituency and as a TD in the Dáil for Irish people.It took them long enough to get in and i doubt anyone will work harder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I....I....wow.

You do understand how democracy works, don't you? He has been elected to represent all of us, not just those who voted for him. Just...wow.
    How is saying get over it,saying anything else? But get over it?
    God some people just pick and pick just to be better than others.
    As Louth rep he will do everything in his power to do whats best for the constituency and as a TD in the Dáil for Irish people.It took them long enough to get in and i doubt anyone will work harder.

As I said, I hope he does work hard and does bring improvements. I'd quite like to be wrong in my doubts. But it's up to him to win people over with his work and his actions. Unfortunatly, I just can't see him allowing his position as elected rep of Louth overtake his primary concerns with regards Northern Ireland. I can't help but feel he wanted into the Dail so he can continue his agenda from his positions up North, and chose Louth cause it was a "safe" bet. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell.

It's not about being "better than others". It just hits me there is some of the pro-SF people who have some elitist attitude for some reason (case and point, WLTD who suggested one person seek medical attention because they had a different opinion than him) and a "We won, get over it" attitude stinks. It's a counter-intuitive arguement which shows a struggle with trying to use logic and rationality to win a debate.

We, as a people, need to pick and pick at EVERY politician, not just GA, to ensure the sins of the past are not repeated. Politicians got corrupted because we let them away with too much. Now, every single one of them should be placed under a strong spotlight and their actions studied and critiqued.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement