Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show: 21st January 2011

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JmeSomers

Dear Late Late Show,
    Where did you find rubbish speaking conspiracy theorists & why did you give them air time? I simply cannot listen to some moron stating that 9-11 was not the result of terrorism but by American government agencies so that we can drill oil in the Middle East. Oh, and a "climatologist" stating that global warming i...s not a problem. I ask you to "withdrawl your show RTE, withdrawl"!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

What was with the Snide "good luck with that" comment out of tubb's on the phone to yer man that won the competiton??

Pat Kenny all is forgiven...... thats sayin alot.....

And did you see how rude he was to the Lighthouse Family after they performed. Tried to move briskly on, but the audience sort of rebelled and launched into a second applause, leaving TB visibly irked. AND he took the piss out of Corr and Lordy after they had left the studio, riffing on the ludicrous "withdraw" episode. They might be a pair of loons, but are easy targets for TB to mock, especially when no longer present to defend themselves!

Aside being a poor interviewer, he just doesn't seem a particularly nice or honest individual. No way should he be presenting a show of this stature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Greentopia wrote: »
    That's not the consensus of the scientific community and unless you're a climate scientist I have no interest in getting into a debate here on the matter if you don't mind. You're welcome to your opinion but I disagree with it.

Scientific truth is not a democracy.
    Prior to advances in optical technology in made during the 50's, which allowed for better microscopes to be used, the consensus of the scientific community was that human cells contained 24 pairs of chromosomes. Was majority rule correct that time as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

bhovaspack wrote: »
    And did you see how rude he was to the Lighthouse Family after they performed. Tried to move briskly on, but the audience sort of rebelled and launched into a second applause, leaving TB visibly irked. AND he took the piss out of Corr and Lordy after they had left the studio, riffing on the ludicrous "withdraw" episode. They might be a pair of loons, but are easy targets for TB to mock, especially when no longer present to defend themselves!

Aside being a poor interviewer, he just doesn't seem a particularly nice or honest individual. No way should he be presenting a show of this stature.

Oh definitely. He's made/done some extraordinary things while presenting, trying to get a laugh out of the audience. Once when he was on Tubridy Tonight there was a girl in the audience who he was getting to play the game who said she worked in a shop and that was her permanent job and he was like (paraphrased) "oh gawd help us oh no...." like as if she would be too stupid to play the game about films.

I am absolutely certain that he fakes his way through all the "sympathy" for people of poor backgrounds now, when in the back of the mind he is thinking about how he's better than them and trying to be "respectful" and it's all fake.

He's also always speaking fast and has something bordering on contempt for a lot of his guests. A good interviewer speaks slowly and always seems really interested in the answers, like Larry King. And with a good interviewer, you hardly even know he's there a lot of the times, because it's about the guest. But Tubridy is always interrupting, trying to steer the conversation the way he wants. And just when the person he's interviewing is trying to say something really deep, and really personal, and discover something about the world themselves during the conversation... Ryan gets that bored look on his face and tries to hurry them along. You might think he'd be good as an interrogator then, like for catching people out like politicians... but I think he's poor at this as well. He needs to give them a chance, not just pretending everything is a stupid and ridiculous answer.

On several occasions guests have just given him a cold response when he tried to be funny and was insulting and patronizing them at the same time, like Nadine when he had her on. She is an international superstar who needs to care about her image a lot, and she wasn't going to put up with his bs. I just... hate the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

^^^^

Couldn't agree more. Good post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That Olivia O'Leary was quite a looker in her day. Looks older than Garret Fitzgerald now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Nolanger wrote: »
    That Olivia O'Leary was quite a looker in her day. Looks older than Garret Fitzgerald now.

Yeah she was.. This is from Reeling In The Years

olivia.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

olivia.jpg
    Olivia O'Leary was the Miriam O'Callaghan of her day!

olivia.jpg

She was alright.... I'd give her a 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Watch withdraw comment on youtube. I can't embed at a specific time whereas I can link to a specific time.

• Advertisement

Right, they invite Jean Butler on who talks about her dad who was a New York fireman leader at 9/11. Then they have Jim Corr on later saying 9/11 was a conspiracy. That's just disrespectful to Ms Butler and her dad. Well done RTÉ.

Right, they invite Jean Butler on who talks about her dad who was a New York fireman leader at 9/11. Then they have Jim Corr on later saying 9/11 was a conspiracy. That's just disrespectful to Ms Butler and her dad. Well done RTÉ.

Why is it disrespectful to them? He's not suggesting they had anything to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Why is it disrespectful to them? He's not suggesting they had anything to do with it.

A lot of 9/11 families have a serious problem with the 9/11 truth movement. They are very proud Americans who feel it is traitorous behaviour to suggest that elements of the US Government had any hand, act or part in the deaths of their relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ascanbe wrote: »

Best bassline ever. Gary numan is a god. :cool:

Anyway, Tubridy was shocking again last night.

I could go on and on about him not letting Jim Corr talk about the Irish economy and the corrupt FF ministers, and his disrespectful, smug antics once the two guests were gone following the commercial break but I won't. I hope the new government slash his grossly bloated wages.

Aren't FG always talking about benchmarking in the public sector??? Hmmm....

Because Jean Butler's dad worked with firemen who died at 9/11 and to have that fool Jim Corr on the show a ½ hour later saying that the US government deliberately set off explosions in the 3rd tower is just disrespectful to their memory. Jes*s Chri*t, could RTE not see that? Or are they just complete fools?

Because Jean Butler's dad worked with firemen who died at 9/11 and to have that fool Jim Corr on the show a ½ hour later saying that the US government deliberately set off explosions in the 3rd tower is just disrespectful to their memory. Jes*s Chri*t, could RTE not see that? Or are they just complete fools?

Just because he has a different opinion to you on 9/11 doesn't make him a fool.

And no, before you start, I dont think there was any conspiracy... But its not completely beyond the realms of possibility in George W Bush's United States...

Sure he's entitled to his view and I'm not criticising Jim Corr. But do you really think RTE should have had him discussing his 9/11 theory the same night they had Jean Butler on talking about her dad and his firestaff? What Corr said is that the US government killed the New York firemen. DO YOU NOT THINK THIS IS A BIT INSENSITIVE AFTER HAVING JEAN BUTLER AS A GUEST ON THE SAME SHOW? Or are you just numbed from RTE's general incompetence over the years?

Because Jean Butler's dad worked with firemen who died at 9/11 and to have that fool Jim Corr ....
    Sure he's entitled to his view and I'm not criticising Jim Corr.

Looks very like you were to be fair...

I was only talking about the "fool" statement you made, I agree that it was perhaps a little bit insensitive to have them on the same night but the connections a bit of stretch. It wasnt like they were interviewing her father was it?

Sure he's entitled to his view and I'm not criticising Jim Corr. But do you really think RTE should have had him discussing his 9/11 theory the same night they had Jean Butler on talking about her dad and his firestaff? What Corr said is that the US government killed the New York firemen. DO YOU NOT THINK THIS IS A BIT INSENSITIVE AFTER HAVING JEAN BUTLER AS A GUEST ON THE SAME SHOW? Or are you just numbed from RTE's general incompetence over the years?

It's not insensitive, it has nothing to do with it. People who died in 9/11 are just as likely to be 9/11 "Truthers" as anyone else. Why would they find it "offensive"? Frankly, if they find it as being "offensive" to think, the idea, that their own government might have murdered their loved ones well then they should be offended.

The same night has nothing to do with anything anyway. You think they should shuffle around appearances so as not to offend different guests? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Odd that Jim would side with a guy like Monckton, who looks positively lizard-like himself. His bug eyes can probably move independently, like a chameleon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

DO YOU NOT THINK THIS IS A BIT INSENSITIVE AFTER HAVING JEAN BUTLER AS A GUEST ON THE SAME SHOW? Or are you just numbed from RTE's general incompetence over the years?

To be fair, Tubridy brought the subject up with Butler, and pushed Corr to share his thoughts on same. I can't help but feel that it was fully intended either. They shouldn't have had Corr on.. not just so Tubs could have a laugh with it. It was cringe-worthy stuff but at the end of the day I think RTE came out looking like the biggest fools of the lot.

You think they should shuffle around appearances so as not to offend different guests? :confused:
    YES! When a guest is interviewed about her father working with men who died at 9/11 they should not have Jim Corr on the same night with his alternative theory to how they died. That's just wrong and shows how inept RTÉ are.

YES! When a guest is interviewed about her father working with men who died at 9/11 they should not have Jim Corr on the same night with his alternative theory to how they died. That's just wrong and shows how inept RTÉ are.

Why is Jim Corr's "alternative" theory any more offensive than the US government's official one?

You think that just because someone died in 9/11 that they're suddenly affiliated with the US government or something? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Who asks the questions? Thus setting the agenda on the show!

Why is Jim Corr's "alternative" theory any more offensive than the US government's official one?
    It's offensive to the New York firefighters who died at 9/11 and are considered heros. Having Jim Corr on the same night as the daughter of the second in command of the New York fire service back in 2001 is both stupid and insensitive. Only in RTÉ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's offensive to the New York firefighters who died at 9/11 and are considered heros. Having Jim Corr on the same night as the daughter of the second in command of the New York fire service back in 2001 is both stupid and insensitive. Only in RTÉ.

If you say so :rolleyes:

amdublin wrote: »
    If you say so :rolleyes:

I mean it's just a totally inaccurate opinion to have. The worst part is the assertion that "only in RTE" would they ever be that insensitive when countless channels do far worse and are objectively far more insensitive on a daily basis. You can mock RTE for being lame, but I find it inaccurate to call this "insensitive" and in particular an "only in RTE" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

Oh definitely. He's made/done some extraordinary things while presenting, trying to get a laugh out of the audience. Once when he was on Tubridy Tonight there was a girl in the audience who he was getting to play the game who said she worked in a shop and that was her permanent job and he was like (paraphrased) "oh gawd help us oh no...." like as if she would be too stupid to play the game about films.

I am absolutely certain that he fakes his way through all the "sympathy" for people of poor backgrounds now, when in the back of the mind he is thinking about how he's better than them and trying to be "respectful" and it's all fake.

He's also always speaking fast and has something bordering on contempt for a lot of his guests. A good interviewer speaks slowly and always seems really interested in the answers, like Larry King. And with a good interviewer, you hardly even know he's there a lot of the times, because it's about the guest. But Tubridy is always interrupting, trying to steer the conversation the way he wants. And just when the person he's interviewing is trying to say something really deep, and really personal, and discover something about the world themselves during the conversation... Ryan gets that bored look on his face and tries to hurry them along. You might think he'd be good as an interrogator then, like for catching people out like politicians... but I think he's poor at this as well. He needs to give them a chance, not just pretending everything is a stupid and ridiculous answer.

On several occasions guests have just given him a cold response when he tried to be funny and was insulting and patronizing them at the same time, like Nadine when he had her on. She is an international superstar who needs to care about her image a lot, and she wasn't going to put up with his bs. I just... hate the man.

Great observations. Pins down exactly the reasons he gives me the creeps.

And it reminds me of a tiny incident that speaks volumes. He was interviewing a girl with a serious kidney illness, requiring transplant, on his radio show. It was quite harrowing, because the interviewee was describing the huge impact on her life, and the anxiety of waiting for a suitable donor. Tubridy sounded bored out of his mind. Then the issue of education came up, and when she mentioned that she had a degree in journalism, across the airwaves you could actually hear Tubridy's interest in this person, suddenly elevated into a "somebody" in his mind, shoot from zero to ten in an instant.

And the most bizarre thing about his intellectual snobbery is that he doesn't really have anything to be elitist about in this respect. He has an interest in the movies and a bit of a book fetish, which is laudable but doesn't make him Ireland's answer to Jean Paul Sartre. That was why it was absolutely priceless to see Juliette Binoche essentially belittle him for lack of depth and intellect a few weeks back (even though she admittedly didn't come across too well in that interview either).

Advertisement