Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will you be voting in the next election

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think only people who are living in Ireland should vote. It would not be right for people living outside the country to decide how we live.

why would we listen to people who are not living here. Unfortunately a lot of the younger generation who have immigrated would not have voted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭chebonaparte

i was a staunch voter. but after nice 2 proved their is no democracy or we'll just keep voting until we vote the way they want, that and the unbelievable re-voting in of fianna fail in the last 2 elections.

the irish govt is farcical and nobody was willing to challenge cowen because it is a poisoned chalice. what was the point if your out in 2months time anyway!
    brian lenihan Machiavellian trap beheaded martin and Brian probably be leader of the remnants of FF

they all run form the ship like sinking rats and either way the charades they stage this week are all meaningless and waste taxpayers time.

no matter who wins the next general election our money is gone to the alpha group banks and well never see our pensions funds again.

listening to the parties squabble other night this country is hopeless for at least decade.

if dead wood kenny is next taoiseach i am definitely emigrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 feve

hondasam wrote: »
    have you voted in every election/referendum in the past?

Yes I have

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

i have to say i don't agree with this, why should people who live outside the state full-time, vote in an election for a government to govern the state they do not live in????

if you live under the rules of the irish state then by all means have an opinion and a vote, if you live in another country full time thats where you should be voting.
    Because many of them are only living outside the state because they have been forced to emigrate by the disastrous policies of this government?

So not alone are they forced to leave, not alone are they disenfranchised, but they are now dismissed as irrelevant by you and other posters here?

I do agree that all those entitled to Irish citizenship shouldn't have a vote ad infinitum, but to disenfranchise people immediately on emigration is simply playing into the hands of this (and any other) bad government.

On topic, yes, I will be voting.

Lord knows, I'm not seeing much of a choice, but I will definitely not be voting for Fianna Fail ... not that I ever did.

No matter how bad the alternative is, voting for FF in this election is the equivalent of saying "Arra, it's all right lads, we don't mind that ye fooked over the whole country! We know that ye didn't actually mean to, ye were just too busy looking after yer own hides and yer pals the developers and the b/****. Sure just go on as before, 'twill all be grand!!"

And that's EXACTLY how 90% of FF would interpret it ... they really do see themselves as the Soldiers of Destiny who can do no wrong!! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm gona be voting,no point in people whinging about the Govt. but doing nothing to change it.
    I fear parish pump politics will rule as usual with the same cronies being elected no matter how badly they perform.That mindset has to change.After Bertie and Biffo's ruination of the country FF won't be getting anything from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

No

This is because i'm out of the county from the first week in march:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Would love to but not allowed to because I'm abroad

I thought women were allowed to vote?

/gets coat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

hondasam wrote: »
    I think only people who are living in Ireland should vote. It would not be right for people living outside the country to decide how we live.

why would we listen to people who are not living here. Unfortunately a lot of the younger generation who have immigrated would not have voted in the first place.

A horrible sweeping generalization.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    No

This is because i'm out of the county from the first week in march:D
    You may have a chance and choose a good person. Are write ins allowed????

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

phill106 wrote: »
    I thought women were allowed to vote?

/gets coat

I like a sense of humor and that was a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

To all who say no! You can look at yourself when blame is being handed out for the state of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

No. My sister always refused to vote on the grounds that she didn't like any of the politicians. I always argued with her, stating that good people (Including our grandfather) strived and died for our country and not voting was doing them a disservice. However now I feel the opposite. It's not that there are no politicians I like, it's that there are no politicians I TRUST. None. Not FF, FG, Labour, whoever. I believe it is THEM who are dishonouring what our forefathers fought for. Obviously someone has to get in but I do not want to aid them in any way at all to get into office. I understand the "if you don't vote you don't have the right to complain" but really, what is my option?

Stand for office.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I definitely will be voting.

It really písses me off when I hear people saying there is no point in voting or that they just don't care anymore.

That just doesn't make any sense to me.

They are as bad as the people who say that they just don't watch the news anymore and now they're much happier. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, just put your fingers in your ears and sing a little song and it will just stop happening.

Load of shíte!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think you have to vote yes I know some of the choices are useless but those are your choices. Everyone is giving out about the state of the country everybody should take some part in the choosing of the next group of TDs.
    We have some real mingers in kerry too.

I will voting in the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭chebonaparte

regardless of the farcical charades by the Irish political circles many will be emigrating like so many countless friends and family before and now.

it is annoying to think that those most damaged, affected and decimated by the current establishment- the youth and young families - who have no choice but to emigrate cannot have their say or even small piece of justice in voting against them and voting them all out.

oh but Fianna FAIL yes FAIL! they'll finish the EU/IMF banking legislation before they scuttle jump ship and pull their insulting undeserved golden parachutes

and that's just it they've always been working by the banks for the banks the fat-cat banking republic of Ireland dystopia where greed is unchecked.

Advertisement