Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will you be voting in the next election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭frank9901

i need an alternative to cowan but what i see is moron kenny making laurel and hardy jokes in the dail while the country is in ruins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Just watching Cowen there on the news.

He looked furious, lost and desperate - all at the same time.

Talked a good talk, but all too little too late.

I will always remember him as the sniggering bafoon at Bertie's side, laughing at economists.

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

I feel I should but I've no idea for who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Yep, I'll definitely voting, and I'm going to make sure it's an informed vote too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 feve

I think given the number of Irish having to work abroad now we should be still entitled to our vote... any one agree??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

are you on holiday or living abroad? because if its the latter then it really does not effect you, their policys will not effect you, it is people here living in Ireland that feel the effects of the irish government, e.g.by paying into the irish tax system, buying houses here in Ireland..etc

The sense of self entitlement here is startling.

Irish citizen should have every right to vote for their countries future. Every Irish citizen at home or abroad has and will pay taxes. I have no idea what taxes have to do with voting for your government.

There are Irish citizen all over the world who've been forced to move abroad to the the current government after years of paying taxes into the precisous system, this is what they were left with. So they would jump at the chance to work at home, should they have NO right whatsoever to have a say as an Irish citizen in how the country can get back in the green again and they can come home to contribute as they only so wish they could.

Give me a break, visit the real world some time. Its an interesting place.

What if you bought a house, lived in it for 10 years then decided to rent it out. The people renting it decided to gut the place, knock a few walls, add an extention and then let the place fall into disrepair... by your logic the owner has agreed to this by not being present in the house for a while and have to accept the house being trashed when they return to live there. Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Dobbers seems to be enjoying himself today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

snyper wrote: »
    I will definitely be voting in the next election - unless I'm dead, in which circumstances its unlikely i will be able.

I think utilising your right to vote is a fundamental privilege we take for granted and should be exercised by every citizen of a nation..

.. if you don't vote i fail to see why you can moan about "the state of the country"

Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

feve wrote: »
    I think given the number of Irish having to work abroad now we should be still entitled to our vote... any one agree??

No.
    If you are not paying tax here or using the services here why should you ahv ea right to vote ?

are you on holiday or living abroad? because if its the latter then it really does not effect you, their policys will not effect you, it is people here living in Ireland that feel the effects of the irish government, e.g.by paying into the irish tax system, buying houses here in Ireland..etc
    I find this infuriating... I lived in Ireland all my life, I have only left in the last 8 weeks so why should I not have a vote..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

To be eligible to be included on the Register of Electors, you must:
    • Be at least 18 years old on the day the Register comes into force (15 February)
    • Have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year preceding the coming into force of the Register.
    Students living away from home while attending college have the choice of being registered at either their home address or their student residential address.

from

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

this is fair, basically if you are a student in college abroad you may vote, or if you were living here in the past year e.g: september 1st....

if you Decide to work abroad then you also agree to work and live under the decisions made by that country, why should you then get a say in the decisions effecting people in the country you don't live in?

we cannot vote for people in Australia, why should full time residents there vote here? whether they were formally living in Ireland is now irrelevant they should be voting in elections that effect them over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Indeed, if all the people abroad who had a right to a Irish citizenship voted here, you'd have far more people voting from outside the country than in it

Okay so then i can vote... but I am of the opinion that any Irish CITIZEN should be entitled to their vote...regardless of where they live..

Okay so then i can vote...

and you've only just left, you should be able to vote. im referring to people outside of Ireland for over a year. they are long gone, creating their lives in their new countries. why should they get a say in how Ireland is run when they aren't here to feel the day to day effects of that decision.
    Indeed, if all the people abroad who had a right to a Irish citizenship voted here, you'd have far more people voting from outside the country than in it

i agree 100%

it is now up to the people in the country to keep the country going...

I just read that link to citizens info ... i dont think I can vote. As postal vote would be my only option and I dont qualify for that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Okay so then i can vote... but I am of the opinion that any Irish CITIZEN should be entitled to their vote...regardless of where they live..

No, absolutely not.

You vote in sinn fein for the laugh or perhaps for some new found "patriotism" while we have to live with it.

No thanks

I just read that link to citizens info ... i dont think I can vote. As postal vote would be my only option and I dont qualify for that

you would have to come home to vote.

So therefore I cant vote from abroad even though I am an Irish citizen and was living there up to 8 weeks ago...

So therefore I cant vote from abroad even though I am an Irish citizen and was living there up to 8 weeks ago...

if it really means that much to you, the facility is there for you to fly home and vote, they are waiving the habitual residence condition to allow you to do so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I will not be voting in any election...

I really don't care for any of anything.

there are more important things in the world :pac:

• Advertisement

if it really means that much to you, the facility is there for you to fly home and vote, they are waiving the habitual residence condition to allow you to do so...

Do you think if I had that sort of money to just fly home that i would have had to leave in the first place??? Get real.. people aren't leaving for the crack!! It's hard decision to make to leave. I would like to vote but I could not afford to fly home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I will not be voting in any election...

I really don't care for any of anything.

there are more important things in the world :pac:

"The impartiality towards ones necessity to vote is a positive reflection on the presiding government"

- Snyper 2011

-meaning, you don't get many people voting or people don't care about it, if fundamentally the citizens feel its a fair society, id qualify this by saying that you generally see in countries in political turmoil people literally dying to vote and an electoral turnout of nearly 90%

No a pathetic 60% like here or other western societies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Yes, absolutely I'm voting. The alternatives aren't much. I won't vote Fine Gael, but every other party I'm open to voting for. I'm impressed with Labour and SF (especially Pearse Doherty) but don't like the idea of a vote for Labour being in reality a vote for FG. I'm also not convinced that either party is being honest about the cutbacks which are necessary.

I think I'll probably go for whoever is advocating a change to the PR-STV system/ end to clientalism and who will oppose FG's new policy against the Irish language.

Oops, obviously FF is excluded from "every other party".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

snyper wrote: »
    "The impartiality towards ones necessity to vote is a positive reflection on the presiding government"

- Snyper 2011

-meaning, you don't get many people voting or people don't care about it, if fundamentally the citizens feel its a fair society, id qualify this by saying that you generally see in countries in political turmoil people literally dying to vote and an electoral turnout of nearly 90%

No a pathetic 60% like here or other western societies

I said it once, but i'll say it again anyway.

I don't care :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

No.
    If you are not paying tax here or using the services here why should you ahv ea right to vote ?

Because the people who are emigrating from Ireland will, hopefully, be pissed off enough to ensure, through their voting preferences, that Irish politicians stop using the culture of emigration here as a safety valve on radical reform of the political system. Politicians should be held accountable to Irish people who, for economic reasons, are forced to emigrate. To this end, allowing Irish citizens to vote in Irish elections for, say, 6 years after they've left would serve a good purpose for our society.

It's not so long ago that Brian Lenihan Snr gloated when told about how many Irish people had emigrated in a single week: "that's good; let them go!" he infamously responded. Votes for emigrants would punish such haughty arrogance by Irish politicians who genuinely are relieved to see people leave rather than stay here and oppose them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

hondasam wrote: »
    It's not big brother :pac:

As in a public vote involving an array of mongos? I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well ....maybe but why only now ? The countrys going through a crisis after being fcuked over and after living abroad for quite some time now , I wouldn't consider it my right to vote although I wouldn't object to it either .We do bring revenue into the country when we vist home .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Yes !!

and I even wrote a song about it, to the tune of 'My Lovely Horse'

Brian Cowen you c*nt running through the......... Dail,
    Where are you going with your fat lips blowing in the...... Wind,

I want to piss down your back, and throw you over..... Fences,
    Kick you up the hole every single day, and take away your.... Pension,

My lovely Brian you're the Taoiseach no...... More,
    Running around with the CAB at your back,
    Like a miserable shite, like a miserable.... (wait i can get this bit) ......SHITE!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Christ where do I even begin...

Yes, thanks we all know how to google something. We are not discussing what the rule ARE, we are discussing what we believe they SHOULD be.

Unfortunately you have mis-interpreted this. This is the criteria to be REGISTERED to vote for an upcoming election not the criteria to vote full stop.
    If someone is working away for 2 years but are a non-resident of the country and FIT the criteria of having being on the registered electorate for many years then they are FULLY entitled to their vote.

Mis-interpreting the very article used to prove your point doesn't bode well for the rest of this post....

if you Decide to work abroad then you also agree to work and live under the decisions made by that country, why should you then get a say in the decisions effecting people in the country you don't live in?
    Why? Because those people are IRISH! So by your logic those people should not be entitled to vote in Ireland but should be allowed vote in their host country. Well guess what? You can't without becoming a CITIZEN! As a CITIZEN born, rared and contributing well enough for plenty time into the Irish system they should have the right to have a say. If they are home on Irish soil they can vote, so they ARE entitled to vote in the election(though you argue they are not), we are discussing the logistics here that they should be allowed to make an absentee vote which is something not uncommon in politics.
    As for living and working abroad and abiding by their rules... again, someone working abroad CANNOT vote in their host country without becoming a citizen! (Something you are implying they do, go and vote where they now live) and without being a citizen they are deprived of many of the rights of living there.
    e.g. In the US someone working there would have to pay into Social Security and Health Care if they work there but are unable to obtain any of this healthcare if needed, they must have private health insurance.

we cannot vote for people in Australia, why should full time residents there vote here? whether they were formally living in Ireland is now irrelevant they should be voting in elections that effect them over there!
    Again, have you any clue what you are talking about?
    We in Ireland cannot vote for Australia as we are not Australian! We ARE however Irish!
    Next, why are you now talking about full time residents? Before this you were talking about non-residents in these countries (i.e those who have just gone there to work as there is no work at home).
    Now you are talking about people who obtain residency in an attempt to justify your flawed points (or do you just not understand the difference).
    A resident of a foreign country from Ireland is STILL an Irish citizen! They however are NOT entitled to vote in the country they have residency in (apart from some local elections like in the UK under certain circumstances but certainly NOT national governmental or presidency elections) but I'm sure you knew that, oh no wait, you suggested that these residents go vote in their host country.)

So by your logic, they should not be entitled to vote in their country of citizenship and they cannot vote in their country of residence therefore choosing to work abroad as it is the ONLY option for that person due to the failings of THIS government should have NO rights to vote ANYWHERE. Wow, that's progress in 2011. Depriving people of their right to vote.
    and you've only just left, you should be able to vote. im referring to people outside of Ireland for over a year. they are long gone, creating their lives in their new countries. why should they get a say in how Ireland is run when they aren't here to feel the day to day effects of that decision.

How does the result not effect their daily lives if they are unable to come home to their friends and families due to the result of election? Why do you assume all have new lives? Many are FORCED to leave. Many are working there just to send money home... i.e. their hard earned money abroad is going back into the Irish tax system you claim they do not provide for.
    it is now up to the people in the country to keep the country going...
    Eamonn De Valera would have loved to hear your views while he worked in America. I'm not even getting into this one, stupidity and ignorance at the highest level.
    And how do you suggest that someone who had no choice but to leave for primarily financial reasons, get the times off work to fly back to Ireland, let alone pay the 100's or 1000's of Euro if will cost them, let alone what it will cost them to take the time off, if they were even granted such a luxury by their new employer.
    They aren't all jet setters. People have had to do this to make a living! Not fly around the world at the drop of a hat with all that foreign money lining their pockets.

See above.

This is just beyond ridiculous. If you are going to post such strong opinions in a debate at least know what you are talking about.

Having said all that I presume you have the mentality of TL;DR and haven't even read or taken in any of this let alone reply to this justifying any of your ridiculous claims, facts which you just plain got WRONG or even just accept what you are saying is wrong as you cannot base an argument in a debate on incorrect facts and expect to get away with it.

The argument here is that Irish citizen have the right to vote (Which you've already attested to in the link you posted and suggesting they come home to vote.). So WHY is an absentee vote for someone who is unable to be there in person such a horrible thought? It's by no means a new concept and is in no way an unreasonable request to provide the facilites for those who ARE entitled to their vote to make use of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Do you think if I had that sort of money to just fly home that i would have had to leave in the first place??? Get real.. people aren't leaving for the crack!! It's hard decision to make to leave. I would like to vote but I could not afford to fly home.

have you voted in every election/referendum in the past?

Advertisement