Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will you be voting in the next election

Options
  • 20-01-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many will be voting in the next election

if no why?

no discussion on who you are voting for please. :)

Will you be voting in the next election 263 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 263 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

No I'm leaving the country next month so unless the law changes, I won't be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Definitely.

I've been waiting for this opportunity for the past three years. The leader of this country hasn't had to face an electorate with himself as the chosen Taoiseach if successful. That's a big problem with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    No I'm leaving the country next month so unless the law changes, I won't be allowed

Was just going to ask that, I will be out of the country that date, so is it impossible for me to cast my vote ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Didn't we have this last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Was just going to ask that, I will be out of the country that date, so is it impossible for me to cast my vote ??

Only embassy workers and their families are allowed postal foreign votes, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

If I had the vote in the Republic you can bet your bottom €uro I'd use it in the best way I could. I wouldn't waste it on Fianna Fail or Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Of course I will vote in this election. Who for, I'm not sure yet but I will definitely be voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Would love to but not allowed to because I'm abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Yup will be surely

Im in the Donegal SW constituency so i already cast a vote a couple of months ago and it will be going the same way again to Pearse Doherty of Sinn Fein.

I dream that Coughlan will not get in up here but sadly the blatant stupidity of a large chunk of the population leads me to believe otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

in yer poll no... on 11th march... yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Aggghhh ill be away.. really wanted to vote in this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    pajor wrote: »
    Only embassy workers and their families are allowed postal foreign votes, sorry
    Would love to but not allowed to because I'm abroad

Are people not allowed a proxy vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll be voting, was out of the country for the last election so going to make up for it.

Yup will be surely

Im in the Donegal SW constituency so i already cast a vote a couple of months ago and it will be going the same way again to Pearse Doherty of Sinn Fein.

I dream that Coughlan will not get in up here but sadly the blatant stupidity of a large chunk of the population leads me to believe otherwise.

If they were clever enough not to vote FF then, am hoping a few more will have the cop on not to vote them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I will be voting.

Have never voted before. Was too young to give a sh!t when I turned 18 and was taken off the register for the last GE. That has since been sorted.

I'm looking forward to Fianna Fail candidates calling to my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yeah. For the monster raving loony party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I will be voting to the max. Only annoyed that I live in an apartment block so we won't get the FF canvassers to our doors. Would love to hear their excuses and pleas for votes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can't wait to put a big X beside the FF candidate's name to have him evicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yes of course, if you don't vote you cannot complain about the state of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

of course i will be voting,

everyone in this country that are old enough to should imo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Sadly I will be on the wrong continent to vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

stovelid wrote: »
    I can't wait to put a big X beside the FF candidate's name to have him evicted.

It's not big brother :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I will be flying over 7,000miles to have my vote cast and I will cast it in my own blood I think against those Fianna Fail b*stards. I am voting for Fine Gael for the first time in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Yes but I'll be doing so not expecting miracles from the next crowd that come in.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

irish-stew wrote: »
    Are people not allowed a proxy vote?

No. It's Fine Gael policy though to introduce the ability to vote from abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Mark200 wrote: »
    No. It's Fine Gael policy though to introduce the ability to vote from abroad.

And so it should be; all US Citizens have the right to vote in their presidential election while abroad. If all the the disaffected Irish marooned abroad because of Fianna Fail were given the opportunity, they would vote everytime.

I predict Fine Gael will control Ireland through to about 2030 and Fianna Fail will hopefully become extinct especially as the old biddies from the Civil War generation will be long dead. As for me and my generation I would never vote Fianna Fail even if the alternative was going to force starvation upon me.

Stinicker wrote: »
    And so it should be;

i have to say i don't agree with this, why should people who live outside the state full-time, vote in an election for a government to govern the state they do not live in????

if you live under the rules of the irish state then by all means have an opinion and a vote, if you live in another country full time thats where you should be voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

If they were clever enough not to vote FF then, am hoping a few more will have the cop on not to vote them since.

They still got the second highest number of first preference votes and FG only overtook them on the count that gave it to Pearse, going by that theyre more or less guaranteed 1 seat, whether or not it goes to Coughlan or O'Domhnaill is the only thing really up for debate, but seeing as she is the Taniste going into it id imagine the seat will be hers.

i have to say i don't agree with this, why should people who live outside the state full-time, vote in an election for a government to govern the state they do not live in????

if you live under the rules of the irish state then by all means have an opinion and a vote, if you live in another country full time thats where you should be voting.

Far enough people who dont live in the country but what about for people who had already booked holidays, etc. The election falls during the only week or two of the year they are out of the country. Or take the person who is on a business trip at the other end of the country for the day, should they be prevented from voting, should there not be a proxy or postal vote for them.

• Advertisement

Far enough people who dont live in the country but what about for people who had already booked holidays, etc. The election falls during the only week or two of the year they are out of the country. Or take the person who is on a business trip at the other end of the country for the day, should they be prevented from voting, should there not be a proxy or postal vote for them.

oh i agree, which is why i said if you live abroad full time you should have no vote!

if you have to live under the state rules you should have a say in them badly timed holiday or not....i cannot see why they cannot visit the nearest Irish embassy with evidence of their travel plans and vote there....at least that would open up the voting pool to more people.

Advertisement