Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is long hair on men seen as such a negative thing by a lot of people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

I have shoulder length long hair and rarely get any trouble over it, never had a problem getting a good job with it either, even when my hair was even longer. In an interview, I do the talking, I try to make a strong point so my appearance doesn't get a word in.

I never wear it in a ponytail and I keep it in good condition, regular scalp massages, good diet and regular trims keeps it looking great :P My older brothers are already losing their hair, so I'm just enjoying mine while I can.

Actually, lately I started wearing a hat due to the cold, which I get a lot of hassle for :confused: People always pass some comment on it or try to grab it off my head, it doesn't bother me, just perplexes me as to why someone would find a hat amusing.
    Stick to your guns and you'll always impress people more with your ability to stand your ground than with your appearance I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Really really really dont like any sort of long hair on guys. The shortest military cut possible I think is the best.

If I was allowed to cut mens hair i would. Ive 2 male friends and 1 definitely looks very crusty with his long shaggy greasy untidy hair. The other one doesnt look as crusty, but he would actually look quite hot i think if he cut his hair. Shame he doesnt know that as he is always chatting to me in a sort of flirty way and little does he know i just want to shave all that hair off....

Finally my brother has started to get short hair cuts. He had a ridculous floppy scrappy fridge til recently...could have sworn he used my hair straighters sometimes (thats just wrong).

Even Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise look dreadful with long hair...short all the way

Why?

Why is it "wrong"? I assume you'd find it perfectly acceptable for a woman to use hair straighteners to change the appearance of her hair in order to make herself more attractive (at least in her own eyes)? If so, why is it "wrong" for a man to? Because it makes him girly? Makes him gay? Makes him less of a manly man?

I used to have quite long hair. I liked it; it required little to no looking after, and I think it rather suited me. But I cut it short after a couple of years because I fancied a change. Also - and keep this between you and me, boards.ie - but I was having such awful luck meeting women that I put it down to my hair.

Of course, it was nothing to do with my hair, it was down to my ridiculous shyness. That I later got a girlfriend was far more to do with getting older and more experienced than it was getting my hair cut.

The most amusing part of all this is that the two women I've seriously dated in my life have both met me post-haircut, now I've got short hair again. And yet both have said, on seeing pictures of me with long hair or hearing me make mention of it, that they think I'd look really good with long hair, and that it's a shame I no longer have it!

So have no fear about having long hair, fellow men. Sure, it can look awful on some men, but it can look great on others. The same as women, in fact. Different hairstyles suit different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Why?

Why is it "wrong"? I assume you'd find it perfectly acceptable for a woman to use hair straighteners to change the appearance of her hair in order to make herself more attractive (at least in her own eyes)? If so, why is it "wrong" for a man to? Because it makes him girly? Makes him gay? Makes him less of a manly man?

I used to have quite long hair. I liked it; it required little to no looking after, and I think it rather suited me. But I cut it short after a couple of years because I fancied a change. Also - and keep this between you and me, boards.ie - but I was having such awful luck meeting women that I put it down to my hair.

Of course, it was nothing to do with my hair, it was down to my ridiculous shyness. That I later got a girlfriend was far more to do with getting older and more experienced than it was getting my hair cut.

The most amusing part of all this is that the two women I've seriously dated in my life have both met me post-haircut, now I've got short hair again. And yet both have said, on seeing pictures of me with long hair or hearing me make mention of it, that they think I'd look really good with long hair, and that it's a shame I no longer have it!

So have no fear about having long hair, fellow men. Sure, it can look awful on some men, but it can look great on others. The same as women, in fact. Different hairstyles suit different people.

Yes I do not think its manly at all to use hair straighters. No its not gay, because all the gay guys I know have short well kept hair. That is my opinion. I would never even consider dating a man with long hair. I am really anti smoking and I would still consider a smoker over a guy with long hair. So when you said you had a hard time dating women...im sorry to say, I would not have considered you with long hair...id much prefer to go out with a shy guy then someone with long hair. I know none of my friends would date a guy with long hair...That being said, unless your part of a biker pack...then its a whole other story, because the type of biker women are different and have different tastes compared to the average female.

Anything longer then a number 2 I think? Mens hair should not be longer then 1 inch. Any man I saw with long hair did not keep it in good condition. Some add way too much oil/shiny stuff to it and it looks greasy. Others have very dry hair and its wavy, broken, split ends...just general crustiness. You said yourself it too little maintence!!! Exactly what you think. Long hair is huge upkeep to it. From washing it everyday, to using the correct shampoo and conditioner (none of this tresemme crap), to heat protecting, blowdry and brushes, to adding friz ease...wax and other potions. The fact you said, you did nothing...says to me your long hair must have been in very bad condition or looked like it had not been looked after. (if i wasnt a woman i wouldnt bother with this upkeep...id definitely have short hair anyday...you think women enjoy long hair? and the routine of it all?)

It is those womens opinion if they like long hair. One of my ex's had long hair before he met me and i nearly vomitted when I saw the photos of him with long hair, it was disgusting.I would never mention it to someones face, its up to them what they do with their body. I am purely commenting on my opinion as to whether I find it attractive, and I just dont find it attractive (thats my opinion...im not saying its wrong...it doesnt bother me if the guy is not expecting me to be his girlfriend or go out on a date).

I live in France, so alot of men have long hair. Its very common. So for that reason I do not date any French men. I find they smell bad and its normally comes from their hair. They look like they have not washed it in days. Dont get me wrong I went backpacking across Asia for months and ive seen more well kept guys there then I do here. Maybe its because the men here dont seem to wash im so anti long hair. Mens hygeine in Ireland is far better and they then to wash more.

I with long shoulder length hair wash it every morning. I find men with long hair dont wash their hair as often...hence i find it disgusting. If a woman didnt wash her hair as often (ok there is dry shampoo) and it look crusty/oily...i would definitely make a comment.

How about bald women? Its not like that is accepted as being beautiful? So normally women dont get number 1 hair cuts (1 or 2 exceptions). So id like to think men didnt have long hair. If very short hair was accepted on women or more so suited my face, i would do it!!! Its far more hygenic to have short hair. Nothing worse then having to hover hair out of carpet...or spent ages sweeping up long hair from floor. Short hair doesnt make much mess. Number 1 hate for me is long hair on men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

How about bald women? Its not like that is accepted as being beautiful? So normally women do get number 1 hair cuts (1 or 2 exceptions). So id like to think men didnt have long hair. Number 1 hate for me.

Bald women are very hot. My ex had a shaved head and was absolutely gorgeous.

the amount of hatred you have for men with long hair is very abnormal. Id seek help, it will make your life easier than vomiting every time you see one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

It depends what you mean by "bald women"? Most bald men aren't bald out of choice. Some women are bald entirely through natural chance, and yet still manage to look gorgeous. Gail Porter still manages to look wonderful despite suffering from alopecia. Sinéad O'Connor has hair cut almost to her scalp yet looks mesmerisingly beautiful.

Your supposition that men with long hair don't bother to wash it, or generally don't give a **** about it when compared with women is slightly offensive, too. Yes, women tend to take more care over their hair, but that's because women tend to have longer hair. A man with long hair would be just as likely to take care over it. Not to mention that the one example you mention of a man taking care of his hair (by straightening it) you say you find disgusting! You hate it because they don't take care of it, and you find it disgusting and feminine when they do.

• Advertisement

I would also like to know her definition of masculine and feminine? I smell daddy issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭iconoranacorn

For maybe two months now I've been called Luke Kelly coz a my long hair and smig. :D no need to guess the colour of my hair :P
    Feelgood wrote: »
    Thankfully lads that grow their hair long usually don't give a flying fart what people think of it...I don't think its frowned upon.

Then again you have to remember the person in question was watching Oprah and The E! Channel of all things. Pretty much says it all I think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Really really really dont like any sort of long hair on guys. The shortest military cut possible I think is the best.

If I was allowed to cut mens hair i would. Ive 2 male friends and 1 definitely looks very crusty with his long shaggy greasy untidy hair. The other one doesnt look as crusty, but he would actually look quite hot i think if he cut his hair. Shame he doesnt know that as he is always chatting to me in a sort of flirty way and little does he know i just want to shave all that hair off....

Finally my brother has started to get short hair cuts. He had a ridculous floppy scrappy fridge til recently...could have sworn he used my hair straighters sometimes (thats just wrong).

Even Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise look dreadful with long hair...short all the way

He had a what?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Magnetic Impulse,you dont find men with long hair attractive,we get it,however your last post is chock full of generalisations and is pretty insulting to blokes that choose to have their hair long.Female opinion is welcome in tGC,insults and insinuations are not.

Everyone else,if you have an issue with a post then use the report button.

Thanks.

OD.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

It depends what you mean by "bald women"? Most bald men aren't bald out of choice. Some women are bald entirely through natural chance, and yet still manage to look gorgeous. Gail Porter still manages to look wonderful despite suffering from alopecia. Sinéad O'Connor has hair cut almost to her scalp yet looks mesmerisingly beautiful.

Your supposition that men with long hair don't bother to wash it, or generally don't give a **** about it when compared with women is slightly offensive, too. Yes, women tend to take more care over their hair, but that's because women tend to have longer hair. A man with long hair would be just as likely to take care over it. Not to mention that the one example you mention of a man taking care of his hair (by straightening it) you say you find disgusting! You hate it because they don't take care of it, and you find it disgusting and feminine when they do.
    I fully agree there, both women have little hair and still look strikingly feminine. I used to hate seeing women with short hair, then a friend of mine cut her hair and it really suited her, her long hair had been hiding a very graceful neck and since I've grown to appreciate all forms of hair style.

I hate this idea that all men HAVE to keep their hair shorter than 1 inch. I've seen plenty of men that keep short hair that still haven't a clue how to take care of it. They buy an electric razor, chop it themselves, miss bits, and then they wash their scalp with shower gel thinking shampoo is only needed to clean the hair, no hairstyle is exempt from proper care.
    One guy used to always sit near me in college and had his hair cut very tight, he used to always scratch his head, think he had psoriasis as there was discoloration and flaking on the scalp. If that were me I'd at least wear a hat or grow the hair out a bit until it cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Anything longer then a number 2 I think? Mens hair should not be longer then 1 inch. It is those womens opinion if they like long hair. One of my ex's had long hair before he met me and i nearly vomitted when I saw the photos of him with long hair, it was disgusting.I would never mention it to someones face, its up to them what they do with their body. I am purely commenting on my opinion as to whether I find it attractive, and I just dont find it attractive (thats my opinion...im not saying its wrong...it doesnt bother me if the guy is not expecting me to be his girlfriend or go out on a date).

I looked like a drug dealer when my hair was that short. Actually that's one reason I'd never have my hair cut that short in Ireland, generally it's a scangers haircut. Nearly every man I know would have his hair a good bit longer than that, blade 4 minimum if they use blades at all.

You nearly vomited :pac:? Hmmmm better not watch any 12 plus films so if long hair makes you sick..

I stick by my opinion. The heading is why is it seen as negative and I was expressing the reasons why I find it negative.

It was not generalisations...i was basing it on people i knew who I regard as not maintaining their hair. So I had based my opinion on my experience. As for guys wanting to maintain it? Well very few women can actually use hair straighters either!!! That is a fact, long hair can look very flat on your head. Or they dont use heat protector, to prevent their hair getting a frizzled look. Blow dry is better. Guys who use hair straighters tend to have very flat hair...that is just not a good look. Its normally quite short too. When it came to my brother, I felt he was hiding a lovely face and features behind messy hair that covered his face. There is nothing wrong with guys maintaining hair...but i prefer short hair, because you can usually see more features in a guy, like if he has lovely big beautiful eyes. If its hidden...then thats not attractive.

I do not have daddy issues or any man issues, my dad is half bald. However he used to do the comb over...it did not suit him. Now he cuts the remaining hair he has very short and I have to say it looks really neat and tidy.

When I spoke about bald women, I had Britney Spears getting the chop in mind. Of course Sinead looks fine, but she is one of a few women that can pull it off. Britney however did not look right. And it was not because of any medical reasons. There is nothing wrong with bald women. I was simply pointing out that I would prefer to have very little hair as its less time consuming to maintain.

I mean women can get hair styles really really wrong...look at 80s perms etc. I think short hair doesnt age as much in photos. You can look back and not clinge your teeth (i live in france, use french everyday hence the bad english spelling).

I do not think that short hair makes anyone look like a drug dealer. Its the rest of your clothes and presentation that matters.

Plus women have to pay at least 50 euro up to 70 euro to get long hair cut...a reason why i try to cut it as much myself as possible to just go twice a year for full cut. Then there is colouring your hair, which costs over 240 euro including your hair cut. Men can just pay 5 euro to get it done in the barbers. Sure my bro now pays 20 euro (i dont see the point)...but all in all, men pay less to keep their hair short and looking good. I cannot understand, why anyone would not take that advantage. If I could get my haircut for 5 euro, id be doing that every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Then again you have to remember the person in question was watching Oprah and The E! Channel of all things. Pretty much says it all I think!!!

I was trying to get across how a lot of mainstream, middle-class society (which these shows represent) reject long hair on men with little or no reason other than 'if they're a man it should be short'. It doesn't make sense, and some of the negative replies here seem to reinforce this. No one's saying women should have short hair just because some ladies don't look after their hair (and I've seen plenty of examples of this!)

I fully agree there, both women have little hair and still look strikingly feminine. I used to hate seeing women with short hair, then a friend of mine cut her hair and it really suited her, her long hair had been hiding a very graceful neck and since I've grown to appreciate all forms of hair style.

This is good to hear too - I had boy/pixie short hair for a couple of years (I'm trying to grow it out now) and I used to get a bit of grief off the odd guy wondering why I'd chosen not to have long hair - it was supposed that it was a bit weird or something, but I liked it. I wouldn't be against shaving my head either (I'd do it for charity), I'm curious to see what it would look like and, sure, it'd grow back!

Basically people should be able to have their hair how they want, more or less - I'm not against shaved heads on men either, I love stroking the stubbly hair, it feels really nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lanternchikk

For maybe two months now I've been called Luke Kelly coz a my long hair and smig. :D no need to guess the colour of my hair :P

So it's awesomely bright red then! But is it curly too? :)

(Listening to "Shoals of Herring" and can't get enough...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Jambo221 wrote: »

I hate this idea that all men HAVE to keep their hair shorter than 1 inch. I've seen plenty of men that keep short hair that still haven't a clue how to take care of it. They buy an electric razor, chop it themselves, miss bits, and then they wash their scalp with shower gel thinking shampoo is only needed to clean the hair, no hairstyle is exempt from proper care.
    One guy used to always sit near me in college and had his hair cut very tight, he used to always scratch his head, think he had psoriasis as there was discoloration and flaking on the scalp. If that were me I'd at least wear a hat or grow the hair out a bit until it cleared.

That goes back to Roman Soldiers who had to keep the hair close cropped under their helmets. It used to be that those who had their so close cropped were looked down on, officers were allowed grow their hair a little longer. Yes there were centuries past the decline of the roman empire where men had long hair but after world war 1 and 2 when all things military become fashionable and the norm and solders were seen as being manly men. Then you had the Korean war and then Vietnam and the protesters against those wars grew out their hair as part of protest and the counter culture of the 60/70 so long hair is seen as rebelling when honestly the the majority of the centuries it was the norm for men.

As for those who have a skin/scalp condition shorter hair means it's easier to apply creams and shampoos and get air at the scalp and having longer hair means it's harder to shed the build up of skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Long hair is huge upkeep to it. From washing it everyday, to using the correct shampoo and conditioner (none of this tresemme crap), to heat protecting, blowdry and brushes, to adding friz ease...wax and other potions. The fact you said, you did nothing...says to me your long hair must have been in very bad condition or looked like it had not been looked after. (if i wasnt a woman i wouldnt bother with this upkeep...id definitely have short hair anyday...you think women enjoy long hair? and the routine of it all?)

I with long shoulder length hair wash it every morning. I find men with long hair dont wash their hair as often...hence i find it disgusting. If a woman didnt wash her hair as often (ok there is dry shampoo) and it look crusty/oily...i would definitely make a comment.

Are you for real??! Just because you feel the need to wash your hair every day and use countless products doesn't mean that it's necessary!!
    I have long hair, I wash it on average twice a week, I use only a leave in conditioner after I wash it, and it only ever gets brushed when I wash it. My hair is the thing people compliment me most on.
    It's important to realise that with most things in life a 'one size fits all' approach doesn't work

dearg lady wrote: »
    Are you for real??! Just because you feel the need to wash your hair every day and use countless products doesn't mean that it's necessary!!
    I have long hair, I wash it on average twice a week, I use only a leave in conditioner after I wash it, and it only ever gets brushed when I wash it. My hair is the thing people compliment me most on.
    It's important to realise that with most things in life a 'one size fits all' approach doesn't work

Either way I made my point, i do not like long hair on men for the various personal opinions i put forward...they were my opinions! My reason to why I think its negative for a man to have long hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hold on, I'm confused, you do like men with long hair or you don't?
    I mean, which is it!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Either way I made my point, i do not like long hair on men for the various personal opinions i put forward...they were my opinions! My reason to why I think its negative for a man to have long hair.

That's fair enough, I'm not suggesting you're not entitled to your opinion. What irritates me is when people apply their own experience as the only way. Not everyone needs to wash their every day and use various products, that doesn't make them a dirty person!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

I think long hair on men, as long as it suits their face, is uber-sexy ;)
    That said not lank greasy locks, just as a woman with long greasy hair is not an attractive look..
    In the nursing profession I've worked with a fair few doctors with long hair and as long as it's clean and tied back (just as would be expected of a nurse) then no problems...
    Had a couple of boyfriends in the past with long hair and loved running my fingers through it! Used to find dreads attractive until the day I'd a friend who asked me to cut his off for him, they were about an inch thick and the smell from the greasy muck in the middle nearly made me puke. Even he was shocked by it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I've let my hair grow.
    I use to always have short hair, number 1 all the time, but then about two years ago I just decided to let it grow. Down to my shoulders now.
    What have I noticed?
    Women do look.
    It takes ages to dry.
    It get in your face all the time.
    I keep finding bits of it in my mouth when I'm eating.
    Women do look. (I said that twice because it's my favourite bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

around my parts it's seen as [EMAIL="fuc@in"]fuc@in[/EMAIL] sexy-so SEXY infact that I've interrupted my late night nerding to post about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I never really thought about long hair on a man until today! Walking through college I saw a guy with long blond hair (almost at the small of his back), and it looked fantastic. I'm not sure which feeling was stronger: being attracted to him or being jealous of him!

In general, though, as long as it's maintained well I see no problem with it. The hippy/unprofessional etc stereotype is just that, a stereotype. If you look after your appearance then no one can ask any more of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

some people carry it off quite well and some people it's just doesn't suit them..the important thing is to use shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

Found this article today and whilst a little far out there, it makes interesting reading.

=====

The Truth About Hair

Reported by Cee Young

This information about hair has been hidden from the public since the Viet Nam War .

Our culture leads people to believe that hair style is a matter of personal preference, that hair style is a matter of fashion and/or convenience, and that how people wear their hair is simply a cosmetic issue. Back in the Viet Nam war however, an entirely different picture emerged, one that has been carefully covered up and hidden from public view.

In the early nineties, Sally [name changed to protect privacy] was married to a licensed psychologist who worked at a VA Medical hospital. He worked with combat veterans with PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder. Most of them had served in Viet Nam.

Sally said, " I remember clearly an evening when he came back to our apartment on Doctor's Circle carrying a thick official looking folder in his hands. Inside were hundreds of pages of certain classified studies commissioned by the government. He was in shock from the contents. What he read in those documents completely changed his life. From that moment on my conservative middle of the road husband grew his hair and beard and never cut them again. What is more, the VA Medical center let him do it, and other very conservative men in the staff followed his example. As I read the documents, I learned why. It seems that during the Viet Nam War special forces in the war department had sent undercover experts to comb American Indian Reservations looking for talented scouts, for tough young men trained to move stealthily through rough terrain. They were especially looking for men with outstanding, almost supernatural, tracking abilities. Before being approached, these carefully selected men were extensively documented as experts in tracking and survival.

With the usual enticements, the well proven smooth phrases used to enroll new recruits, some of these indian trackers were then enlisted. Once enlisted, an amazing thing happened. Whatever talents and skills they had possessed on the reservation seemed to mysteriously disappear, as recruit after recruit failed to perform as expected in the field.

Serious casualities and failures of performance led the government to contract expensive testing of these recruits, and this is what was found.

When questioned about their failure to perform as expected, the older recruits replied consistantly that when they received their required military haircuts, they could no longer 'sense' the enemy, they could no longer access a 'sixth sense' , their 'intuition' no longer was reliable, they couldn't 'read' subtle signs as well or access subtle extrasensory information.

So the testing institute recruited more indian trackers, let them keep their long hair, and tested them in multiple areas. Then they would pair two men together who had received the same scores on all the tests. They would let one man in the pair keep his hair long, and gave the other man a military haircut. Then the two men retook the tests.

Time after time the man with long hair kept making high scores. Time after time, the man with the short hair failed the tests in which he had previously scored high scores.

Here is a typical test:

The recruit is sleeping out in the woods. An armed 'enemy' approaches the sleeping man. The long haired man is awakened out of his sleep by a strong sense of danger and gets away long before the enemy is close, long before any sounds from the approaching enemy are audible.

In another version of this test the long haired man senses an approach and somehow intuits that the enemy will perform a physical attack. He follows his 'sixth sense' and stays still, pretending to be sleeping, but quickly grabs the attacker and 'kills' him as the attacker reaches down to strangle him.

This same man, after having passed these and other tests, then received a military haircut and consistantly failed these tests, and many other tests that he had previously passed.

So the document recommended that all Indian trackers be exempt from military haircuts. In fact, it required that trackers keep their hair long. "

Comment:

The mammalian body has evolved over millions of years. Survival skills of human and animal at times seem almost supernatural. Science is constantly coming up with more discoveries about the amazing abilities of man and animal to survive. Each part of the body has highly sensitive work to perform for the survival and well being of the body as a whole.The body has a reason for every part of itself.

Hair is an extension of the nervous system, it can be correctly seen as exteriorized nerves, a type of highly evolved 'feelers' or 'antennae' that transmit vast amounts of important information to the brainstem, the limbic system, and the neocortex.

Not only does hair in people, including facial hair in men, provide an information highway reaching the brain, hair also emits energy, the electromagnetic energy emitted by the brain into the outer environment. This has been seen in Kirlian photography when a person is photographed with long hair and then rephotographed after the hair is cut.

When hair is cut, receiving and sending transmissions to and from the environment are greatly hampered. This results in numbing-out .

Cutting of hair is a contributing factor to unawareness of environmental distress in local ecosystems. It is also a contributing factor to insensitivity in relationships of all kinds. It contributes to sexual frustration.

Conclusion:

In searching for solutions for the distress in our world, it may be time for us to consider that many of our most basic assumptions about reality are in error. It may be that a major part of the solution is looking at us in the face each morning when we see ourselves in the mirror.

The story of Sampson and Delilah from the Bible has a lot of encoded truth to tell us. When Delilah cut Sampson's hair, the once undefeatable Sampson was defeated.

=====

Whats the source of that article. Sounds a bit hocus pocus to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

You could be right. just saw it posted on another from another forum and didn't take much notice of the link at the time.make up your own minds.

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?noframes;read=193367

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dont understand the hatred, but when i went for a job as bar man one of the conditions was me cutting my shoulder length surfer hair i had fir 4 years, lasted 2 days with the manager who was a dick, my brother got a job in the same company but in the restaraunt and the manager in that part just made him tie it up or slick it back with gel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

taliban
    Thats twice I´ve seen you mention taliban in relation to Irish mens beards.
    First, were talking about head-hair, not beards.
    Second, I´ve seen members of the Taliban in person and their beards are like nothing you´ve ever seen before. 30 or 40 years long. Nothing like anything you would see in Ireland.

Except for the occasional greasy long haired, overweight IT worker with a massive beard who obviously is overcompensating or just CBA... long hair and beards can be great.
    But you cant even see the other side of the argument. You are saying, "hey, to me you guys look like teenagers, snigger". Fair enough but many girls get hot in their pants when they see a guy with well groomed long hair. There are two sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

a 'negative' thing gee i dunno but if you compare a typical irish sports team to anyone elses note that everyone in the irish squad has a 'tidy' short back n sides? whereas in south americas long tresses seems to be a requirement, unless yer Robinho or something lol but it might be an indication of how we can serve well as a unit but tend to produce no natural flair, like civil servants maybe but its a bit extravagant in this overly regulated day n age after the debauched madness of the latter 1900s i think we are recycling the tidy '50s when even jim morrison had a wee buzzcut n starched collar

personally don't have long hair it does not permit, way too dry/ thick just to the ears n lacquered so it pains me to see people with a potentially swish mane not having the brass balls to grow their buzzcut out, particularly where it'd clearly be their best feature i have come to notice good hair can really compliment (hide/distract from) a wretched mug

Advertisement