Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will I lose the dole if I get census enumerator job?

• 18-01-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Me and my spouse have just received a letter inviting us to interviews for the census enumerator job... We are both unemployed (my spouse on benefit and me on allowance).

My question is if we will lose the dole if we get the jobs?

The enumerator work is 22 hours a week, but mainly evenings and weekends, hence we are still available to take up other employment and to search for work.

The enumerator job will last for 10 weeks and only pay approx €2200 in total (not sure if we can life off that taking into account petrol etc!!!)

Does anyone have experience from a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Unsure about answer to your question but I can find out and get back to you tomorrow unless someone else has info on this and posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

Hi,
    I'm very glad you have asked this question as I am in the same boat as yourself. I received a letter today for an interview on the 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

Thanks Eastbono!! Would really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

From experience. If you work more than 3 days in a week, you lose all welfare payment. (even though it's just a couple of hours each night.) If you could do all the work in 3 days, you would only lose a certain amount of your welfare for each day worked.(depending on amount earned per day of work).;)
    Ask them to let you only do 19 hours per week and you and spouse would be entitled to FIS (family income supplement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

The enumerator pay is higher than the dole averaged out over the 10 weeks. U also get paid mileage allowance.

I am confused as if u cannot live on this how are u surviving on the dole?

Also, as far as I know if you work part time but earn more than the dole in a week u are not entitled to a top up. If that was the case every worker would claim it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

;)They don't want to miss jeremy kyle.
    :)They don't want to lose rent allowance.
    :)They probably claim for a couple of kids.(This would make it a higher payment than job)

Probably one or two of the above are reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@sellerberry - If you don't have anything useful or helpful to contribute to the thread, then please don't post at all.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

beatle wrote: »
    Me and my spouse have just received a letter inviting us to interviews for the census enumerator job... We are both unemployed (my spouse on benefit and me on allowance).

The enumerator work is 22 hours a week, but mainly evenings and weekends, hence we are still available to take up other employment and to search for work.

The enumerator job will last for 10 weeks and only pay approx €2200 in total (not sure if we can life off that taking into account petrol etc!!!)

Seems out of the question for many reasons, the main one being that your combined earnings from this work of Euro 440 pw would be in excess of max payment of Euro 312.80 pw allowed to you as a couple on JB & JSA payments. You would be working possibly part of 7 days a week when three days plus Sunday is the limit for casual work. Even if the aforementioned weren't determining factors, there would be no chance that it could be viewed as subsidiary work/secondary work which is allowed for JB claimants as they have to show that they were carrying out both their full time job and subsidiary work simultaneously for a period of 6 months.

Seems out of the question for many reasons, the main one being that your combined earnings from this work of Euro 440 pw would be in excess of max payment of Euro 312.80 pw allowed to you as a couple on SW payments. You would be working possibly part of 7 days a week when three days plus Sunday is the limit for casual work. Even if the aforementioned weren't determining factors, there would be no chance that it could be viewed as subsidiary work/secondary work which is allowed for JB claimants as they have to show that they were carrying out both their full time job and subsidiary work simultaneously for a period of 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Did you apply for the jobs or did they contact you simply because you are on benefits?

Either way, I think you are very lucky and lots of people would love the chance to get work and off welfare.

And plus, seeing as it's mainly evening duty, it shouldn't affect you applying/interviewing for other work :)

• Advertisement

UPDATE

No guidelines as yet have been issued with relation to people on JA/JB working as enumerator for the census. As soon as guidelines issue I will post.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

I had to apply for the job, and everyone applying is being interviewed, so not sure if I should count my self as luckier than anyone else...

I have been unemployed for a while and am desperate to work again! If I am offered a job I will take it, but I still need to know some practical details...
    The last time I signed on it took well over three months before I was paid. If I have to sign off, work for a little more than I am getting now, then get nothing for three months from signing on, Im not sure who will cover my rent. I am simply trying to take some responsibility.

Also, I have heard from a few people that they ended up paying for a lot of the petrol themselves as the census only pay for what they assume you'll use.. It might not cover the cost if you need to revisit houses that do not answer the door etc.

Hope we get some clarity on this soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

eastbono wrote: »
    UPDATE

No guidelines as yet have been issued with relation to people on JA/JB working as enumerator for the census. As soon as guidelines issue I will post.

Given the huge number of unemployed people, hopefully a few of them will be selected for these jobs rather than give them to people in full-time employment.

However, there is no reason this should be turned into a cushy number by letting people work and claim.

Perhaps people claiming a low rate of JA due to means testing or age should get first refusal on these jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

It's a totally legitimate question and a bit unfair the way some people responded to you.

I'd be in a similar enough situation though I'm fortunate in that my spouse is working. I don't think I would be earning anymore than what I'm getting on the dole, possibly less, taking into account travel costs. I'm just dying to get out working again - though I have heard it can be a tough enough job!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭midgej

I absolutely agree with V480, that it was unfair the way some people responded to this question. It is completely legitimate and I am sure there are hundreds of people in the same situation who would like to know the answer to this. I am one of them. I have been unemployed since the start of July, and am dying to get back working. In fact I am starting a 12 week unpaid work placement next week, in the hope that it may develop into a full time job, or if not at least I will be in a workplace meeting people, and possibly developing contacts that may lead to work.
    If I get the Census job I will be working it evenings & weekends, along with my full time work placement.
    Like the OP, if I have to sign off completely & then wait a couple of months while my Jobseekers claim is processed again the bills simply won't get paid. I would be willing to work for nothing simply to get extra experience on my CV if I knew my Jobseekers claim would be processed immediately following the end of the Census work.
    If common sense prevailed in this country the enumerators jobs would only be offered to those on Jobseekers Benefit / Allowance, letting the Social Welfare benefits continue without break and just paying a little additional to cover fuel etc. I would go as far as to say that if anyone on Jobseekers refused the position they should no longer be entitled to benefits.
    It is wrong that people already working are allocated these jobs allowing them to fatten up their wallets when unemployed are perfectly willing and able to do the job just as well.
    Sorry! Rant over - if anyone has any further info please share.
    Oh and for the record sellerbarry - I have never watched Jeremy Kyle!!!!

It seems some may not be aware that those waiting for Jobseekers claims to kick in (or repeat claims be processed if they've been working for a period) are able to get payments to tide them over through the Community Welfare Officer at their local HSE Health Office? Those funds are deducted when the Jobseekers payments come through. It is therefore very possible (and quite common practice ) to take on short term contract work without suffering long waits without funds before welfare payments recommence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 csographer

Fact is that nobody should be able to work and claim benefits (unless they are adequately means tested and are deemed to be in great need of assistance)

I'm a fully qualified teacher and cannot for love nor money get a job in a primary school despite having a masters in Special education, coming first in my class in college and speaking fluent Irish, I after two years of on off subbing have given up trying to find full time work and am working as an SNA in a school.

I'm still sending out job applications which cost on average €5 each; in the last 18 months I've sent 200 applications covering jobs in 4 counties and gotten 20 interviews.

My point is in all this time I have never claimed benefits and never will (children's allowance goes to the children's bank accounts) despite my current earnings being considerably below the current dole payment.

My partner is working full time €12.50 phr (not claiming FIS or anything else) and is in education four nights a week which we are paying for it ourselves. We've two children and never live beyond our means. We don't have a boom time mortgage we socialize but never over spend, we save for everything and are incredibly happy.

I've applied for a position as an enumerator and if successful a friend will babysit. I am happy to say we will be using the money to pay for a small summer vacation and adding the remaining funds to our savings for car tax, health and car Insurance for 2012.

People who are desperate for work should be willing to do whatever job that may come their way regardless of their skills. In our current economic climate pride has no place in career choice.

Midgej I may have taken you up wrong but are you saying that you are on the dole, If so is this work placement you are going on one of those state sponsored or Fas initiatives and if not will you be giving up your dole during this time (since you'll not be available to look for work) as you won't be entitled. If your benefits remain in place is it not fair to say that you are indeed even if below the minimum wage getting paid (in benefit) for the work you do. I do apologize if I've misinterpreted your earlier post.

Best of luck to all who are going to interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

This really isn't the thread to be judgeing people for the questions they ask. If you have nothing to contribute, then don't post. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 unalien

Well done. Are you glad you got that out of your system? Your relentless onslaught on some 450,000 people signing on was very inspirational. If 450,000 people all signed off to work for 7.65 an hour do you think there would be enough jobs to go around. Everyone's circumstances are different and nobody asked about yours.

Now, does anyone actually know how to work as an Enumerator while claiming Job Seekers Benefit, which I need to pay ESB, mortgage, management company fees, college course, car tax, insurance, fuel, prtb fee's, loan, credit card, food, oil, toll charges, tv licence, bin tags, petrol, nappies for two children, mechanic and a kitchen sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Csographer you are failing to grasp the basic idea of social welfare/ insurance. Everybody pays some money into a big pot so that you are insured against losing your job and are able to claim some of that money when you are unemployed or sick or whatever. So not claiming is not some sort of noble pursuit, it is just plain stupid.

As a teacher, I would hope that you would have more empathy than coming on here and attempting to belittle people because they are asking a question about claiming money that the majority are fully entitled to.

Plus as a side note, how can every job application possibly cost €5? And I love how you start your post with the word 'fact'... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I asked about this today at the social welfare office and I was told they didn't know. :confused: So hopefully somebody else will have more luck and can clarify the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Hi, Im in the same boat. Im on JSB and would love to have a job. I did the interview for the Census on monday.

Let me know if what the outcome if you get the job. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 reliable4eddie

I attended interview for Census Enumerator on Tuesday. I explained to them that I would love to do the job, I would do it for 50 euro a week, my only worry is because I am operating on such a tight weekly budget I simply cannot afford to lose any social welfare entitlements. (They are unable to comment on this matter, only advise to take it up with SW.) I am over 15 months claiming so I am entitled to fuel allowance of 20 euro per week from September to May. If I sign off for ten weeks to take up the CE job then start a fresh claim do I have to wait another 15 months to become entitled to fuel allowance. There are some other worries also that are too complicated to cover here.
    I would just love if the powers that be could simplify things, maybe tell people on the dole they can do the job for fifty quid a week without upsetting their claim, something like the community employment scheme.
    Oh! btw I was taught in school to never say never.

(They are unable to comment on this matter, only advise to take it up with SW.)
    SNIP
    I would just love if the powers that be could simplify things, maybe tell people on the dole they can do the job for fifty quid a week without upsetting their claim, something like the community employment scheme.

I think everyone looking for this job but wants to keep their benefits is barking up the wrong tree.

Why is everyone complaining that they can't get an answer? The fact is, this job will be treated as any other employment.

There are a lot of people in Ireland who are on reduced payments for age (€100), because they are means tested on their partner's income (and possibly get between €0 and €20), and some don't qualify for welfare at all such as people who worked abroad for a few years. There are also many students, including mature students, who would be only to happy to take the job.

I think people in this country need to ween themselves off the notion of community employment and sweet deals where they can have income of more than a full-time employee by working and claiming benefits at the same time.

Minimum wage is only $7 something. And min wage workers get taxed. Their takehome pay can be as low as €250. But people here are actually suggesting in addition to claiming €196 dole, heat allowance, medical card, possible rent allowance and whatever else, they also want a few hours a week to bring their income well over what a minimum wage worker would earn for an entire week, but without affecting their benefits? Sorry if I'm not more sympathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I think everyone looking for this job but wants to keep their benefits is barking up the wrong tree.

Why is everyone complaining that they can't get an answer? The fact is, this job will be treated as any other employment.

There are a lot of people in Ireland who are on reduced payments for age (€100), because they are means tested on their partner's income (and possibly get between €0 and €20), and some don't qualify for welfare at all such as people who worked abroad for a few years. There are also many students, including mature students, who would be only to happy to take the job.

I think people in this country need to ween themselves off the notion of community employment and sweet deals where they can have income of more than a full-time employee by working and claiming benefits at the same time.

Minimum wage is only $7 something. And min wage workers get taxed. Their takehome pay can be as low as €250. But people here are actually suggesting in addition to claiming €196 dole, heat allowance, medical card, possible rent allowance and whatever else, they also want a few hours a week to bring their income well over what a minimum wage worker would earn for an entire week, but without affecting their benefits? Sorry if I'm not more sympathetic.

Where to start? :confused:

1. People are complaining that they cannot get an answer because they cannot get an answer! I asked at the social welfare office and was told they do not know what the situation is in this regard. Nobody that I can see is complaining (bar you), they are just asking a question that has yet to be definitively answered.

2. Nobody is looking for a 'sweet deal' as you term it, they are simply enquiring about their entitlements. There are back to work schemes and payments for a reason and it is a legitimate question to ask whether this falls under that category.

3. Also, those schemes and payments are available to everyone including minnimum wage employees and people who claim other benefits.

4. The majority of people asking this question have probably worked for years before the current economic slump and contributed far more than they have taken out to the social insurance pot so the last thing they need is a pompous lecture from you about 'sweet deals'.

5. And as a point of fact, unemployment benefit is now less than €196 since the budget and many claimants (myself included) are not entitled to "heat allowance, medical card, possible rent allowance and whatever else".

Still no guidelines but I have asked about previous treatment of people on jsa/jsb taking up enumerator jobs and the consensus is that people still received a certain amount of the jsb/jsa money some days were docked but I cannot stand over saying this will the same this year. As soon as guidelines are posted I will get back.

My advice would be if you are offered one of these jobs to accept, you dont have to take up the job. They will have people to fall back on as they are interviewing 16,000 approx for 5,000 jobs. Unfortunately this is all the help I can give at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

eastbono wrote: »
    Still no guidelines but I have asked about previous treatment of people on jsa/jsb taking up enumerator jobs and the consensus is that people still received a certain amount of the jsb/jsa money some days were docked but I cannot stand over saying this will the same this year. As soon as guidelines are posted I will get back.

My advice would be if you are offered one of these jobs to accept, you dont have to take up the job. They will have people to fall back on as they are interviewing 16,000 approx for 5,000 jobs. Unfortunately this is all the help I can give at the moment.

This makes sense. I imagine it will be treated as casual work. I see no reason why it wouldn't.

exactly anny i think what will happen is that they will say that ok people are working 5 nights a week and maybe allow them to keep 2 days of their jsa/jsb but that is just a personal opinion. I will post as soon as guidelines are issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

midgej wrote: »
    I am starting a 12 week unpaid work placement next week, in the hope that it may develop into a full time job, or if not at least I will be in a workplace meeting people, and possibly developing contacts that may lead to work.

If I get the Census job I will be working it evenings & weekends, along with my full time work placement.

I have never watched Jeremy Kyle!!!!

Congratulations on starting a 12 week unpaid work placement - well done and I do hope that it leads to something bigger and better. You seem to have a fantastic attitude to the current climate - more of us should take a leaf out of your book. Well done. Also fair play for trying to get an evening / weekend work on top of it congratulations on taking control of your life instead of looking for others to do it for you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Csographer you are failing to grasp the basic idea of social welfare/ insurance. Everybody pays some money into a big pot so that you are insured against losing your job and are able to claim some of that money when you are unemployed or sick or whatever. So not claiming is not some sort of noble pursuit, it is just plain stupid.

It's even worse given the fact that by not signing on you don't get your weekly PRSI stamp which is not clever at all even if you opt not to take the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 reliable4eddie

Thanks Eastbono,
    I've pasted below a clip from from John Curran speaking in the Dail on 5th Oct 2010, also a link to same.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2010-10-05.4.0

On the question about enumerators and those in receipt of social welfare, first and foremost the positions are open to anybody who meets the qualifications and are deemed suitable, regardless of whether they are in employment, unemployed or whatever may be their circumstances. They must be suitably qualified to deliver the task.
    "Regarding those in receipt of social welfare, it should be noted that each enumerator is required to deliver census forms to approximately 400 households and most of that work is carried out in the evening and at weekends. I am advised by the Central Statistics Office that because of the necessity to make personal contact with all householders, it is a requirement of the job that enumerators typically work five or six evenings a week and perhaps one day at the weekend. If that is the case, under social welfare rules they would not have an entitlement to claim jobseeker’s allowance because effectively they would not be available for work.The experience of the staff and the advice I am getting from the CSO is that, typically, the enumerators must work four or five days a week because there is a need to make personal contact and some householders may not be at home on a Monday evening. The work required tends to be for most evenings of the week as well as one of the days of the weekend."

One of my problems is if I took the job and signed off the dole how long would I be waiting for family income supplement to come through, as a family of four would find it impossible to survive on 100 euro per week paid in arrears for the ten weeks and then the remaining 1200 in a lump at the end.
    Thats why I feel they could simplify it, at the moment it seems impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Just make sure you put it in a zip pocket.
    That would sort all worries.

Cost of two large envelopes €0.50 (from 10pk bought at Tesco for €2.50)
    1 envelope for postage and one included in your application for your rejection letter to be sent back.

Cost of getting double sided full size copies of College Degree, Religious Ed Cert and HDip in Ed €1.20 (home scanned and printed copies not deemed authentic?)

Cost of paper 500 sheets €4.99 Tesco average 7pages per application = €0.07014028056 or €0.07

Cost of postage of large envelope which has to be weighed at Post Office €2.10
    Cost of stamp for large envelope so rejection letter can be sent back €0.95

So on doing the maths we find:
    €0.95
    +0.50
    €4.82

I beg your forgiveness as I'm €0.18 off but I suppose if I factored in electricity for using the computer to do my cover letter, the cost of ink for printing off my application and petrol for the drive to the Post Office when it's not raining I'd be well over the €5 originally quoted.

Why does it cost so much?
    1 page Cover letter, 6 page education work portfolio, 2 one page references and then copied certification all add to the heavy cost of postage.
    Then there is the envelope with the €0.95 stamp which was originally requested so your documents could be returned to you however educational authorities soon discovered that this cost more than €0.95 and now use the envelope to send you a rejection or interview letter!

And I'm not attempting to belittle anybody if anything it's general ignorance for somebody to think that they could possibly work on what is a temporary contract and still claim benefits. If this was allowed then entire nation would be working a 20 hour week and this big pot you speak of would be well and truly empty.

Not claiming is not a noble pursuit either, it's a matter of not needing the money and being able to survive. Why take from a pot that's already half empty, when I don't need it?

If anything people on welfare who are selected to act as an enumerator should have their dole stopped for the duration of service but their rent allowance, fuel allowance and whatever else claimed left in place. Department of welfare should work with CSO so that when the census has finished your full entitlements are automatically returned. Logical if anything..

Well some one on jsb does not receive fuel allowance... you have to be long termed unemployed to receive fuel allowance and tbh your post has nothing to do with the original posting.... have you interviewed for the enumerators job???

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rainbow76

i'm on jsb and applied for enumerator. I really want the job even if it doesnt pay me but i just copped today
    i get 219 on jsb and dh gets 150 approx from jsa. We have 2 kids under 4. He gets fuel allowance of €4 per week

His jsa pays the mortgage along with 300 from childrens allowance.

mine pays groceries and all bills. We manage.

So i'll get 100 per week and 1200 at the end. If i work it out it means i can pay weekly groceries but bills etc will have to wait til i get the 1200 at end. And then risk possible disconnection of services but hopefully i can keep suppliers informed

Then it struck me i have payment protection on personal loan of 254 per month. If i get enumerator job and take it i lose this. If i get enumerator job and refuse it i will lose it and benefits possibly for not taking job?

I find myself reluctantly 'hoping' I dont get it.

I hope to get clarification soon enough but social welfare have no idea when i go in and ask.

I like many dont expect full jsb for myself while doing this but it seems at the moment applying for this role will cost me dearly. THe whole system makes me angry

Csographer, I was of a similar opinion two years ago but sadly after me and dh loosing very well paid jobs I cant afford to think like this. We have to claim or we starve. What savings we had pay the difference from mortgage and dh's jsa. We both apply every day for jobs but nothing coming up.

Please god things will turn around soon.

Best of luck to all anyhow

I emailed Welfare regarding this and this is the reply they sent me:

''A person on Jobseeker's Benefit (JB) must sign off for any days worked as an enumerator. If a JB customer carries out his/her duties as an enumerator over 3 days each week, s/he may be entitled to JB for the other 3 days provided all other statutory conditions are satisfied. You should notify your local office if you are successful in your interview.''

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

csographer wrote: »
    Cost of two large envelopes €0.50 (from 10pk bought at Tesco for €2.50)
    1 envelope for postage and one included in your application for your rejection letter to be sent back.

Cost of getting double sided full size copies of College Degree, Religious Ed Cert and HDip in Ed €1.20 (home scanned and printed copies not deemed authentic?)

Cost of paper 500 sheets €4.99 Tesco average 7pages per application = €0.07014028056 or €0.07

Cost of postage of large envelope which has to be weighed at Post Office €2.10
    Cost of stamp for large envelope so rejection letter can be sent back €0.95

So on doing the maths we find:
    €0.95
    +0.50
    €4.82

I don't disbelieve you but it's mad that schools can't accept applications by email in this day and age. I've been working for 12 years and I've never applied by post for a job or looked for one in a newspaper.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I don't disbelieve you but it's mad that schools can't accept applications by email in this day and age. I've been working for 12 years and I've never applied by post for a job or looked for one in a newspaper.

I actually got the figure wrong and didn't know the post went out, I reposted today because it actually costs more its over €5 because I have to photo copy references and it also depends on where you do your photocopying.
    Unfortunately majority of schools will not accept applicants online, on the plus side the school I work in as an SNA have a vacancy for a teacher coming up for September so fingers crossed I get it. I've already been told I've an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

In the same boat as a few people here. I have had my interview also.
    I think that it's a tough job and I feel that getting my payments renewed after doing the survey is what's putting a lot of people including me off.
    I don't think the pay is that great either to be honest, considering the job.
    I wouldn't be looking for anything close to my full dole, but I do need to take into account how much I would be earning during the 10 weeks, how long it will take to have my welfare payments restarted afterwards.
    It's funny that the people who were never unemployed are the ones with the biggest and most outrageous opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

I have interview on Friday. And its a terrible thing to say but I simply can't afford to take it if I got it. I've worked solidly for 18 years, paid my taxes, and lost my job 11 months ago because the company I worked for moved its operation to Singapore as it was cheaper to do business there.

So I decided that maybe a few extra bob would be nice and it would be great to get out and meet people. So I applied for the enumerator position. However after reading the comments in this post, in particular

"Regarding those in receipt of social welfare, it should be noted that each enumerator is required to deliver census forms to approximately 400 households and most of that work is carried out in the evening and at weekends. I am advised by the Central Statistics Office that because of the necessity to make personal contact with all householders, it is a requirement of the job that enumerators typically work five or six evenings a week and perhaps one day at the weekend. If that is the case, under social welfare rules they would not have an entitlement to claim jobseeker’s allowance because effectively they would not be available for work.The experience of the staff and the advice I am getting from the CSO is that, typically, the enumerators must work four or five days a week because there is a need to make personal contact and some householders may not be at home on a Monday evening. The work required tends to be for most evenings of the week as well as one of the days of the weekend."

I have to support 3 children on my own and I can't afford any disruption to my welfare payments. Its a sad day when you have to admit that you can't afford to take a job and being on welfare is the only viable solution.

ouncer wrote: »

This is going to be a problem for a lot of people. Even if you can live on 100 euro a week, will claims be closed and reopened? Will those who accept be put at the bottom of the waiting list? Will those who already receive a casual payment have to go through the process again, getting employers to fill in all documents again?

• Advertisement

I got an email from Welfare that suggested that I would be able to retain some of my Welfare payments if I working as an enumerator although it would depend on the individual welfare officer to determine that. However after reading that I don't know...

I know that I could not do the job without it, I'm getting 147 euro per week on Welfare now and just barely getting by on that so I simply could not afford to drop down to 100 euro per week, even if it was bolstered by bonuses at the end of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bernard bluff

has any1 heard back from cso bout enumerator jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Zenga

There are an awful lot of people on this thread who can only seem to criticize. It is obvious that all of you have never been employed as a census enumerator.

I have and let me tell you all it is a hard job that gets paid very little. You will average about 200-250 a week for about 20-30 hours work.

In that time you will have:

-Some people who simply refuse to do the census form as youre part of some "government conspiracy" even though there has been a census for the last 2000 years!!
    - Some people who are simply a little touched
    - Some people who have zero english
    - Some older people who are lonely and want you to spend all day there
    - Some people who will verbally abuse you as much as possible
    - Some people who ask for an irish form and then when you give it to them ask for an english one just to make your job that little bit harder

Also then there are time when you may have to call back to houses 10 or 15 times to try and get some one, and then you may find out the house is vacant...you get paid about €1 i think for that.

The breakdown of the pay is about €3.50 per completed household form. Now it seems like good money but when you add in the fact you have to call twice (at a minimum) and may spend 20 - 30 minutes filling out a form for somebody because they cant be arsed its not exactly well paid is it??

For everyone on here that is giving out about people on welfare. Ask yourselfs this. Would you take a different job that paid roughly 20-30 euros a week extra for an extra 20-30 hours a week work, on evenings and weekends and in that time you would get verbaly abused and agrivated by people who think youre doing them a favour??

No I didnt think so either.:rolleyes:

Zenga wrote: »
    I have and let me tell you all it is a hard job that gets paid very little. You will average about 200-250 a week for about 20-30 hours work.
    €8.30-€10 an hour? If I had no money I'd be glad of it.
    Would you take a different job that paid roughly 20-30 euros a week extra for an extra 20-30 hours a week work...

I don't know if you realise this, but you're describing the welfare trap. If dole was €190 in the first year of unemployment, dropping to €80 after year 5, your question would be "Would you take a different job that paid roughly €120-€130 a week extra for 20-30 hours a week work..." you'll find the answer would be a resounding "Yes"

Bear in mind that not everyone gets the top rate of dole, so this job will suit a lot of people - which is evident by the amount of people who are applying for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Zenga

Ok Who can live on €80 a week?? If we are going to have a discussion you have to at least be a little bit practical about it. You cannot discriminate against someone who is unable to secure employment. The whole point of paying your USC & PRSI is that you will protected when youre on the dole, need medical attention or are an OAP. If this was back 5 years ago when there was 100% employment I would agree with you but in the current situation to try and get 450,000 people to live on €80 a week is ridiculous and it is what would happen as there is no employment out there. You seem to be living in a dreamworld. People are struggling on €188 a week simply because they were used to taking home €500 or €600 a week. To try and get them to cut again is uneconomical and plain unjust. I am working and take home about 430 a week after tax. Before Xmas I took home 460. I am happy to give the 30 a week to the tax man rather than cut people (like 2 of my brothers) who are not unemployed and are living day to day to get by. This is not the time to be castigating someone who is already in a whole heap of pain, we should be encouraging and supporting them as much as possible to help get them back on their feet, get their ego and sense of self worth back.

The most depressing thing about Ireland today is the sense of defeat. There are similar unemployment figures in both the US and the UK and they are working their way through it while were too busy grabbing sound bytes and pointing fingers. We need leadership who will tell us how it is, what pain we are going to suffer and just implement it.

Also one final question techni fan have you ever been a census enumerator??

People in glass houses dont throw stones please

Also one final question techni fan have you ever been a census enumerator??

No, but I worked in a nightclub on £2.75 an hour, a supermarket, a cinema and a kitchen. Many of those jobs involved cleaning toilets. So I'm usually pretty unsympathetic to people who turn their noses up at jobs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I applied for this job,did anyone hear anything back yet?

I applied for this job,did anyone hear anything back yet?

End of February it seems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

End of February it seems.

I see........thanks :),hope I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gobo111

I've been accepted for one of these positions in Cork and while I'm happy to be back at work, even for such a short period of time, I am quite deeply concerned about losing job seekers allowance. I don't recieve rent allowance and If I was reduced to 100 euro a week income I would starve. My rent would be covered and that's pretty much it. I'm not looking for some sweet deal but I would like to continue to live. I'll be heading into the social welfare office tomorrow to see what the deal is. If I get answers I will post. I suspect that this will qualify as part time employment in which case you should be able to retain some payment, especially if you try to get as much as possible done on Sunday as i believe it is exempted from deductions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement