Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good team to follow?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I support the Ravens but didn't recommend them for the OP

Interesting.Any reason you wouldn't recommend them? i was watching this last night and found the history of football in Baltimore to be among the most interesting of any city in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Band_that_Wouldn't_Die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There sure was
    Id rather start following an exciting,young,upcoming team who have yet to win a superbowl than jump on the Colts/Patriots bandwagon haha!

I can't recommend the Ravens with that. Young QB but most of their receivers and come to think of it starters on defence are over 30. Leading star is 35 and Ed Reed will likely retire end of next season.
    The likes of the Bucs and the Lions are young and upcoming, the Ravens are not

And they have a Superbowl :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think we abandoned the no super bowl criteria early on.

We did but not by the time I made my recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

You could pick the Raiders. I guarantee you'd never be bored with the antics of their owner Al Davis. They are improving and of course there's the small matter of 3 Superbowls but only 2 of them in Color.

They're a bit like Liverpool in the Premiership, havent won anything of note in years, their fans go on about the glory days and they still manage to attract loads of new fans to join the cause every year!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

I'd advise taking a look at the Hard Knocks series - although it only shows a handful of teams, you get a good insight into the treatment of players, training camps, management structure etc. More up to date the better as you can then see what the current players are like.

Ideally, just keep watching until a team does something that impresses you. Two years ago, I went to see the Bucs V Pats in London. The Pats destroyed them 35 - 7 however after the game, a few friends and I ended up partying with a few Bucs players (namely Aqib Talib) for a few hours.

Result? Bucs fan here!

Edit: For the record, reason I picked the Bucs is not because I was drinking with a few of them. It was how cool about the whole thing they were. When I told them a few friends and I were over from Ireland to watch them play, they invited us up to the VIP with them.

Chatted with their family and drinks all on them. When the drinks (few bottles on the table) were close to empty, I said I'd get more and they insisted I get it put on their cards (may be nothing to them but still - we were with them for about 3-4 hours!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

You could pick the Raiders. I guarantee you'd never be bored with the antics of their owner Al Davis.

Yeah, pain and furstration definitely isn't boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Hazys wrote: »
    Somebody will find a way to call you a bandwagon fan for about half the teams in the league.

And if you just pick a team because they are crap, just so you can avoid the bandwagon term thats pointless, and you wont have much interest in following them if you have no real "connection" with them. Somehow picking a team when they are crap makes you more of a fan than when they winning, i dont get that.

Pick a team based on one of these reasons:
    • your favourite players is on the team
    • is in your favourite US city/state
    • you like their style of play
    • you like their jersey
    • they are your team in Madden
    • they have the hottest cheerleaders
    • etc

How will a team like the Browns ever pick up news fans with criteria such as this? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Lirange wrote: »
    How will a team like the Browns ever pick up news fans with criteria such as this? :eek:

The jersey? home browns jerseys are really original and look class if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I love the fact that they have never put a logo on their helmet.

• Advertisement

Lirange wrote: »

The Browns have Hollywood to boost their profile. The Express showed Cleveland with a very classy tribute to Ernie Davis at the end

Most NFL teams will never be associated with films

Jim Brown acting too

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

eagle eye wrote: »
    I love the fact that they have never put a logo on their helmet.
    The most appropriate logo would be a cow pat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

On the subject of jerseys and that jazz, what do you reckon is the nicest jersey in the NFL?

I love the Cardinals black jersey. Sex on threads.

Arizona%20Cardinals%20jersey%2011%20Larry%20Fitzgerald%20Black%20jersey.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Justin10

Op just keep watching games you will soon start to like players and then find a team. I like the Steelers when I started out watching it but then I found the Chargers and LT. Loved how they played and aired the ball out but also could run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hey I recently started watching nfl games on tv and am really enjoying it!Last nights Jets v Patriots game was brilliant.Im a big soccer and rugby fan and now an american football fan too!:)The thing is I dont have a team to support:(.I have reletives in New York who are mad Jets fans but I want to have a team of my own.Id rather start following an exciting,young,upcoming team who have yet to win a superbowl than jump on the Colts/Patriots bandwagon haha!Any suggestions?

I'd go for the Packers.....dripping in history (Vince Lombardi anyone?), Lambeau Field is the Cathederal of the NFL and on top of that they are the only fan-owned team in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers looks like one of the best QB's the NFL has produced for many years.....oh and you have a Superbowl to look forward to in two weeks!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Aaron Rodgers looks like one of the best QB's the NFL has produced for many years
    Huh?

I raise you Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning.

Huh?

I raise you Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning.

Best young QBs maybe? Rodgers is very very good for his age.

"Im telling you, if i had to start a franchise from scratch, my Quarterback would be Aaron Rodgers" - Lofty praise from one Troy Aikman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AwesomusMaximus

Bears are better than what they showed last night....still go for saints or falcons or something.

Where's the OP?
    We want to know what team you've selected? :p

NO PRESSURE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AwesomusMaximus

spiralism wrote: »

"Im telling you, if i had to start a franchise from scratch, my Quarterback would be Aaron Rodgers" - Lofty praise from one Troy Aikman

Didn't follow Aaron Rodgers through the season but my friend is a Packers fan and he was telling me during the game (I'm a Bears fan btw) Rodgers wasn't even at his best ha we were lucky last night to lose by so little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Didn't follow Aaron Rodgers through the season but my friend is a Packers fan and he was telling me during the game (I'm a Bears fan btw) Rodgers wasn't even at his best ha we were lucky last night to lose by so little

rodgers didn't play at all last nite. its was like he turned up for the first half and then it seemed to be a very lackadaisical performance for the second. hannies made a serious name for himself last nite though. defo one to watch in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Go for the Lions. They've a lot going for them, exciting and the curse is broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 keesh88

I would recommend watching the HBO series Hard Knocks. It shows one team in their pre-season training camp. It's fantastic viewing.

The Jets were featured at the beginning of this season, so thats who I decided to follow. Not sure who will be featured next season.

Hopefully it will be broadcasted on the new Sky Atlantic channel this year.:rolleyes:

As I've said many times, you have to wonder how long his career will last. He holds onto the ball too long too much. He is a lot more likely to get injuries than most QBs. You seen it this year with the concussion. You just can't expect to have a long career if you keep doing things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The Cleveland Browns is the team for you OP.

As I've said many times, you have to wonder how long his career will last. He holds onto the ball too long too much. He is a lot more likely to get injuries than most QBs. You seen it this year with the concussion. You just can't expect to have a long career if you keep doing things like that.

Ben holds on to the ball too long as well but gets away with it, it's more rodgers's running style and bravery that leads to trouble, though he's been running to the sidelines and sliding more instead of taking full blown hits in recent weeks, i've noticed.

People forget he's the 2nd best scrambling QB in the league after Vick and puts up a lot of yards on the ground, a style that is conducive to injury, true.

If he can avoid these hits a bit better and stay out of injury as a result, we could be watching a HOF career in the making, especially if he manages to (please god) pick up a ring sunday week...

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Like the way the Packers are owned by the fans.I think they're the only NFL team like that,am I right?

You are correct, the Packers have a rich history. And they are owned by the fans, only team in the NFL with ownership like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Tom Brady won his third ring when he was Rodgers' age. Roethlisberger is less than 2 years older and has 2 rings.

Rodgers is amazing, but let's not lose the run of ourselves*.

*Not saying you are, but some of the comments I've read this season, particularly this week, are not far off claiming he can walk on water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 UNI4MER

Next year follow the 49'rs. I am from Northern Cal. and Harbaugh is building a great new staff.

Advertisement