Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good team to follow?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Hey I recently started watching nfl games on tv and am really enjoying it!Last nights Jets v Patriots game was brilliant.Im a big soccer and rugby fan and now an american football fan too!:)The thing is I dont have a team to support:(.I have reletives in New York who are mad Jets fans but I want to have a team of my own.Id rather start following an exciting,young,upcoming team who have yet to win a superbowl than jump on the Colts/Patriots bandwagon haha!Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'd go with the Lions. Exciting young team and you get to cheer on megatron!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Hey I recently started watching nfl games on tv and am really enjoying it!Last nights Jets v Patriots game was brilliant.Im a big soccer and rugby fan and now an american football fan too!:)The thing is I dont have a team to support:(.I have reletives in New York who are mad Jets fans but I want to have a team of my own.Id rather start following an exciting,young,upcoming team who have yet to win a superbowl than jump on the Colts/Patriots bandwagon haha!Any suggestions?

Hmm the two big young high flyers that i would think would appeal to new comers are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs!

Chiefs

Bucs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Green Bay ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I think the Rams are another team on the up. Another good draft could see them winning a weak division next season...

They have won a Superbowl a decade or so ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 plubelly

the Chargers! long way off though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 dooneenboy

Eagles!

They're fans are known as animals, and their players include Vick who's just back from jail over a year ( possibly best player in league) and a pig of a tight end called celek Look him up!! Also Desean Jackson celebrating before the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjNYOroGXws&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLNbfxotfuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

How about the Denver Tebows?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    How about the Denver Tebows?

This. We've won superbowls before and have a rich history but you certainly wouldn't be hopping any bandwagons by signing up now!

we've a new coach coming in, great fans, rich history and a hugely promising up and coming QB in Tim Tebow :pac:

You're limiting yourself an awful lot picking only teams that haven't won SBs tbh, as most teams that have none don't have them for a reason, be it choking, existing for only 10 years or just bad teams (sorry if i offend anyone with that!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I'm was in the exact same position as the OP and only came to the game 3 months ago. The first game I saw was the Eagles vs Redskins and the Eagles were unbelievable so I chose them. I read up on them, liked what I saw so they became my team.

The next game I saw had the Detroit Lions and after reading about them and how they've won sweet fúck all but have a really good team coming through I decided to follow them as well.

I've two teams at the moment but I'll probably have to finalise at some stage but if you're looking for an up and coming young team I'd go for the Detroit Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

_hr34202--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

5022ad0935244908a55bd8ef56a442e2--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

a4c9d15ff08849538fbd656dc4e93fcc--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

mike-holmgren.jpg

Absolutely no glory here mate:)

Holmgren has fired Mangini:) Daboll:) and Rob Ryan:( but he is now assembling his own men. I'm hoping Holmgren can work some magic in the draft next year. Really hope McCoy can take the positives out of this year and improve next year and I'm hoping for a winning season next year.
    A great underdog team to follow and the fans are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hmmm.. You may want to rephrase your question to: "Please tell me what team you follow" :P

P.S. May I suggest the Seahawks? Do you like Starbucks Coffee? Jimi Hendrix? Pearl Jam? The Northwestern? Then show the city of Seattle some love!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have a look here:

http://www.nfl-360.com/teams

It has a page on each team going through the History, Tradition, Rivalries, Fans, moment to remember and moment to forget videos. Overall a good overview of each team.

There's also a "Team Picker" that seems to work by asking a few stupid questions and suggesting a team for you. You may be better just having a read through a few team pages and picking whatever takes your fancy.
    Coeus wrote: »
    I think the Rams are another team on the up. Another good draft could see them winning a weak division next season...

They have won a Superbowl a decade or so ago...

What you seem to be forgetting is that the 49ers are in that division so the Rams only shot for the next few years will be as a wildcard. Ahem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Reliant Stadium is possibly the best stadium in the NFL

And look over this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055383079

The Texans need some love :D

Big play offense and they are a good team to watch. Horrendous pass defence so that's to be improved.
    You could do worse then pick the Texans

They have great videos too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Please don't follow the Jets. They have a high influx of bandwagon fans where when the start doing well everybody is a Jet's fan.

They are a nothing franchise. No New Yorker should support them either.

Follow the Bronco's. Or as Archie said the Tebows!

Tebow was the biggest selling jersey on the NFL website this season, I'd say they have their share of new bandwagon fans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How bout those Steelers?

Irish connection with the Rooneys of the Steelers too, you could do worse OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Follow the Texans, some good players but not many fans.
    Don't support Detroit - it's heartbreaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imzXEPxFbqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Q4tKnfaIY

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I jumped into Packers this year and I have to say as good as Rodgers is and Jennings and the likes, my main buzz comes from watching Clay Matthews in defence! Love BJ Raji too.

My own advice I'd maybe follow a team that one dat you might get to see play at home! Unlike I did where pack are sold out for the next forever..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

America's Team...

The Dallas Cowboys

• Advertisement

Tebow was the biggest selling jersey on the NFL website this season, I'd say they have their share of new bandwagon fans too.

Lot of that was gator fans hopping on to follow their man. I've not really seen any new broncos fans crop up at all really, not round these parts anyways. Granted, that could change quickly if Tebow and Fox are successful, especially if we end up on Hard Knocks this year as its being rumoured...

EDIT: Broncos and Lions tied with 3 votes each! come on OP, join orange and blue nation, supporting the lions will break your heart if the last several decades are anything to go by! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

New York Giants. Great team and you can get under your relativess skin.

I would say if you want an up and coming team then you surely have to go with the Buc's or the Lions.

Personally the lions are my second team now. Stafford has potential to be a great QB. You have megatron and "a boy named suh"

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Only one answer here. Americas Team. The Dallas Cowboys have been underachieving under a bad coach but it's all new next year. New head coach more attack minded and in Tony Romo you have one of the most exciting QB's in the league. (not to mention he was banging Jessica Simpson for a while :eek:). We have won many Superbowls but haven't for a long time and our time will come again soon. It's also a good option as many NFL fans will hate you and it's great for the banter. Not as bad as the Pats though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Thanks for all the feedback guys!:)I have to agree with a previous poster though,limiting my team to a non superbowl winning outfit is a bit silly.Most of these teams have not won for a reason haha!Who are the teams who have high levels of repect and are a proud football team.So far Im liking the sound of Detroit Lions and The Cowboys.Keep the suggestions coming and il put up a poll maybe late tonight and make my final decision.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Charger fan myself since early 80s but they will kill you, have got to be right up there in terms of the most frustrating team in the league to support.

I'd recommend picking an up and comer who are not a 'sexy' team to support. A team like the Cowboys who might well be an up and comer would be 'sexy' for example.

Teams I'd recommend are the Rams (great young QB, great HC), Lions (starting to get their drafts right post Millen), the Bucs (great young QB, good young HC) and the Texans (under-achiever with a great young RB and good QB).

Also have a think about location i.e. how easy it might be to go see them at home. I couldn't help but fall for the Bolts, it's such a pity they are so far away. Have seen them twice at home but 4 times away.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!:)I have to agree with a previous poster though,limiting my team to a non superbowl winning outfit is a bit silly.Most of these teams have not won for a reason haha!Who are the teams who have high levels of repect and are a proud football team.So far Im liking the sound of Detroit Lions and The Cowboys.Keep the suggestions coming and il put up a poll maybe late tonight and make my final decision.:D

Lions will break your heart man, that team is cursed, never seen one as unlucky as them, theyre either decent and unlucky or awful.

Dallas had a bad year but have a good young team... frustrating though as underachievement in recent years and the antics of owner Jerry Jones would drive any fan mad.

Broncos are highly respected, this year we were 4-12 but it was our worst season we ever had, making us the last team in the nfl to have a 12 or more loss season. That says it all about our history.

check us out... we're a storied, respected team with a rich history and a lot of promising young players... no bandwagon to hop here after this season's 4-12 but don't let that fool you, both dallas and detroit weren't a huge amount better this year...

Give us a chance OP, you may not regret it :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Bucs were fantastic to watch this year and have a young team. But there is no real wrong option. the beauty of the NFL is its competetive and always changing. If you go to New York to see relatives it might be worth picking a team from there so there's a chance you can go to a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Bucs were fantastic to watch this year and have a young team. But there is no real wrong option. the beauty of the NFL is its competetive and always changing. If you go to New York to see relatives it might be worth picking a team from there so there's a chance you can go to a game?
    But thats what I dont want,jump on the JETS bandwagon who are a big franchise going well atm.Im looking for an upcoming team who are a respected outfit eg.in soccer the likes of Aston Villa/Tottenham and not the big sides like Man Utd/Chelsea:)ps.im a Utd fan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

But thats what I dont want,jump on the JETS bandwagon who are a big franchise going well atm.Im looking for an upcoming team who are a respected outfit eg.in soccer the likes of Aston Villa/Tottenham and not the big sides like Man Utd/Chelsea:)ps.im a Utd fan:D

Don't worry if you follow the Jets I don't think anyone would say your jumping on a bandwagon they are over acheiveing this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

You should consider what you like about the game.
    For example you might prefer teams that play on artificial surface, or in a dome. Like Vikings, Lions, Steelers, Cowboys, Rams, Saints.
    Or you might prefer teams that play on grass outdoors, like the Packers, Bears, Chiefs.

You might prefer the really "flashy" teams that exude arrogance, like the Cowboys and 49ers.

I encourage you to have a look at the Green Bay Packers.
    One of the oldest teams in the league with a rich history.
    Also a massive dought.
    The Packers are by the way, the only "small town" team remaining in football and are the only non-profit, community-owned big-time professional sports team in the United States.

That's gotta count for something.

Forgot to mention the GB colours are Green and Gold.

Other teams have wealthy owners that can (and have) uprooted the team to a different city, which you can probably imagine would be absolutely heartbreaking for the fans.

Advertisement