Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good team to follow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

jman0war wrote: »
    You should consider what you like about the game.
    For example you might prefer teams that play on artificial surface, or in a dome. Like Vikings, Lions, Steelers, Cowboys, Rams, Saints.
    Or you might prefer teams that play on grass outdoors, like the Packers, Bears, Chiefs.

You might prefer the really "flashy" teams that exude arrogance, like the Cowboys and 49ers.

I encourage you to have a look at the Green Bay Packers.
    One of the oldest teams in the league with a rich history.
    Also a massive dought.
    The Packers are by the way, the only "small town" team remaining in football and are the only non-profit, community-owned big-time professional sports team in the United States.

That's gotta count for something.

Forgot to mention the GB colours are Green and Gold.

Other teams have wealthy owners that can (and have) uprooted the team to a different city, which you can probably imagine would be absolutely heartbreaking for the fans.

And you can call yourself a cheese head. Get a throw back Favre jersey from before he made a mockery of himself and they have the Lambeau leap. Their history is cool. Some of the weather that stadium has seen is remarkable to think they played in some of it!

129074048080181907.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Pack isn't a bad choice either actually, for the reasons already stated. only problem is it could be construed as bandwagoning right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'll once again back the Lions. They have been pretty poor for a long time but their recent drafts have been excellent and when they finally get over the hump it will just mean more!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Somebody will find a way to call you a bandwagon fan for about half the teams in the league.

And if you just pick a team because they are crap, just so you can avoid the bandwagon term thats pointless, and you wont have much interest in following them if you have no real "connection" with them. Somehow picking a team when they are crap makes you more of a fan than when they winning, i dont get that.

Pick a team based on one of these reasons:
    • your favourite players is on the team
    • is in your favourite US city/state
    • you like their style of play
    • you like their jersey
    • they are your team in Madden
    • they have the hottest cheerleaders
    • etc
    If the team that suits you is currently successful, so what? it doesnt mean theyll be good in 10 years time...see 49ers, Cowboys, etc.

The team should pick you, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Hazys wrote: »
    Somebody will find a way to call you a bandwagon fan for about half the teams in the league.

And if you just pick a team because they are crap, just so you can avoid the bandwagon term thats pointless, and you wont have much interest in following them if you have no real "connection" with them. Somehow picking a team when they are crap makes you more of a fan than when they winning, i dont get that.

Pick a team based on one of these reasons:
    • your favourite players is on the team
    • is in your favourite US city/state
    • you like their style of play
    • you like their jersey
    • they are your team in Madden
    • they have the hottest cheerleaders
    • etc
    If the team that suits you is currently successful, so what? it doesnt mean theyll be good in 10 years time...see 49ers, Cowboys, etc.

The team should pick you, not the other way around.

Basically. Just watch a few games and see who you find yourself pulling for... i picked up an interest thanks to a friend a few years back and liked the broncos because he did... found that id watch our matches and get really into them and want us to win... so a fandom was born! that's how it works, one team will pull you in OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hey I recently started watching nfl games on tv and am really enjoying it!Last nights Jets v Patriots game was brilliant.Im a big soccer and rugby fan and now an american football fan too!:)The thing is I dont have a team to support:(.I have reletives in New York who are mad Jets fans but I want to have a team of my own.Id rather start following an exciting,young,upcoming team who have yet to win a superbowl than jump on the Colts/Patriots bandwagon haha!Any suggestions?

Young improving team? Contending most years? Very good to watch, with the most exciting and controversial Quarter Back in the game? Even though I don't like them, I think the team that fits the bill is the Philadelphia Eagles.

You won't have an overload of Eagles fans in Ireland either like the Patriots or to a lesser extent the Colts. But they they're not totally unsupported like say the Panthers. It's a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The reputation of Eagles fans turn a lot of people off that team

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Maybe read up about the Cleveland Browns.

They were once great, started to decline then the owner abruptly moved them to Balitmore.
    But the city and fans fought back, and the owner had to rebrand his team (Balitimore Ravens).
    Meanwhile poor Cleveland had no team for a few years before starting a new one, but still retained the original name.

They sort of bridge the whole established team vs new expansion team thing.

There's so many good franchises to follow. What about the Steelers or the Raiders? Two more teams with great history. The Raiders have a pretty decent young team at the moment too.

Steelers have Pomolau!

Give Americas Game a look, there's some up on Youtube.

Here's one for the Raiders:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

OP.... as mentioned before, please consider the Green Bay Packers

I've been following them for some time and even though we havent been to the Superbowl since 1997 there are great reasons to Support them

As mentioned before, they are a genuine fan club, owned by the public

- Their support is great and are hospitable to all fans, home and (mostly) away fans too.

- Check out Green Bay on google maps... its tiny!
    Like the size of Cork.
    They are the smallest city represented in the NFL and always pride themselves on being a great "small town" club

- The History.
    The Superbowl trophy is the "Vince Lombardi" trophy, So named after the legendry Packers coach who led us to victory in the first & second superbowls.

- Despite their small size, they have been building a terrific young team based on a solid defense and possibly the most talented Quaterback in the League.

- Green & Gold looks good on everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hey, I know I recommended the Eagles above, but since everyone is bigging up their own team, what about the Minnesota Vikings?

Were contenders last year, still the making of a good team there. Arguably the best running back in the league in Adrian Peterson, exciting playmakers like Percy Harvin or Jared Allen, and will in all likelyhood be getting a young rookie QB this season who's career you can chart from the very beginning.

A loud loyal fanbase and, imo, cool jerseys too :pac:

We need a Houston Texans fan! They are a very new team. Nobody will say you are jumping on a bandwagon with that one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

OP.... as mentioned before, please consider the Green Bay Packers

I've been following them for some time and even though we havent been to the Superbowl since 1997 there are great reasons to Support them

As mentioned before, they are a genuine fan club, owned by the public

- Their support is great and are hospitable to all fans, home and (mostly) away fans too.

- Check out Green Bay on google maps... its tiny!
    Like the size of Cork.
    They are the smallest city represented in the NFL and always pride themselves on being a great "small town" club

- The History.
    The Superbowl trophy is the "Vince Lombardi" trophy, So named after the legendry Packers coach who led us to victory in the first & second superbowls.

- Despite their small size, they have been building a terrific young team based on a solid defense and possibly the most talented Quaterback in the League.

- Green & Gold looks good on everyone!

this +1

i have been following the packers for years on and off but really really started following them properly about 4 years ago why sky sports started showing the games on a regular basis and they also became more available thanks to the live streaming on the interwebs...

the packers have a great history, unbelievably loyal fans (check out when farve returned, as QB for the vikings, for the first game at lambeau field) and to be fair the team is coming together nicely this year under mc carthy and rodgers. people will say your bandwaggoning when you go for the packers now... but to be fair, watch the game against the falcons. that is one of the best games i have seen in years.

and with the nfl one thing always holds thru. it takes a miracle for a team to win the superbowl 2 years in a row so whats good this year may not be so next year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

spiralism wrote: »
    Lions will break your heart man, that team is cursed, never seen one as unlucky as them, theyre either decent and unlucky or awful.

Hopefully that will just be part of the past. This Lions team just need a few more pieces to become a really competitive outfit fighting for the playoffs (LB's & CB's).
    As long as Stafford, Megatron, Best & Suh stay healthy next season I predict great things. If not, than that curse you mention may have some truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

OP! PICK THE LIONS!!

Started watchin the NFL properly this year and I decided to pick the Lions cos I really like Matt Stafford and Megatron. Look at this:

Unreal.

This season could have been so much better for the Lions aswell except for lacking a bit of luck as was shown earlier in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Raoul wrote: »
    OP! PICK THE LIONS!!

Started watchin the NFL properly this year and I decided to pick the Lions cos I really like Matt Stafford and Megatron. Look at this:

Unreal.

This season could have been so much better for the Lions aswell except for lacking a bit of luck as was shown earlier in the thread.

Ive seen that video a million times...and its still frickn' awesome!!!

Hopefully Stafford can stay healthy and the last two seasons were unlucky, because the Lions can become a decent team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah never get tired of watchin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Hopefully that will just be part of the past. This Lions team just need a few more pieces to become a really competitive outfit fighting for the playoffs (LB's & CB's).
    As long as Stafford, Megatron, Best & Suh stay healthy next season I predict great things. If not, than that curse you mention may have some truth to it.

Love the username.

I dunno. I think stafford can be an excellent QB if he stays fit. I'm starting to have my doubts though. When a player gets that injured that often/so early in their career, it doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Raoul wrote: »
    OP! PICK THE LIONS!!

Unreal.

Never saw that before, thanks for posting. Great to see some of the new young guys coming in to win. Stafford, Freeman, Bradford, great to see these guys being hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

What do ye guys think of Oakland Raiders?Surprised nobody mentioned them as they are a respected side although havent won a superbowl in over 25 years.Any reason for this?I always liked LA and have a soft spot for the lakers.Maybe Raiders could be my team!:)Keep em coming guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Unbelievable video of Stafford there. I'm a fan of his, hope these shoulder injuries don't curtail what is surely a promising career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What do ye guys think of Oakland Raiders?Surprised nobody mentioned them as they are a respected side although havent won a superbowl in over 25 years.Any reason for this?I always liked LA and have a soft spot for the lakers.Maybe Raiders could be my team!:)Keep em coming guys.

One name needed to explain all that.

Al "****ing" Davis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Stev_o wrote: »
    One name needed to explain all that.

Al "****ing" Davis.

I second that...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Op I'm a Patriots fan and I'd love if you followed them but going on what you said in the op that doesn't look likely.

I'd like to give you a team that might be going places over the next while. The NFC West has been known as the NFC Worst for quite a while. The teams in that division are the Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks and the St. Louis Rams.

I think this division is going to get a lot stronger over the coming years. San Fran were held back by bad head coaches over the last couple of years and I think could be going places with Jim Harbaugh as their head coach now.

The Seattle Seahawks hired Pete Carroll last year. Carroll is one of the greatest college coaches ever and he is going to improve that organisation for sure. He got them the division win this year.

The Arizona Cardinals just lost a great quarterback and look to be in a bit of a mess at the moment but a decent QB could sort them out very quickly.

The St. Louis Rams had the no.1 pick in the draft last year which the team with the worst record gets. This year they almost made the playoffs. Their new quarterback Sam Bradford looks really special. They just hired Josh McDaniels as their offensive co-ordinator and that means you are guaranteed to see a lot of exciting offensive football with them next season and possibly for as long as Bradford is there as QB which should be quite a while.

Out of them I think the Rams right now are the most attractive long term but any of them would be a great team to follow and you would certainly not ever be accused as somebody who jumped on a bandwagon if you decided to follow one of them.

Good luck with your decision, looking forward to seeing who you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I think the best thing to do is watch as many games as you can and you will find yourself drawn toward a team. That's the team you should choose. Whether it be a Lions or a Jets. They have to feel right.

Pats felt right for me before I knew anything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If you don't become a lions fan after that video... well i just don't know... :)

The Lions?
    The poor OP will have his heart broken, head wrecked and endure frustration, ye're being cruel! :p

Pick the Texans!
    We don't have a Texans fan on boards so nobody will ever say you jumped on a bandwagon.
    Amazing stadium, best receiver in the NFL, leading rusher and an excellent QB and a few stars on defense though a lot of improvement needed, the only way is up!

Great team to watch, you could almost say they are a sexy pick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

surprised no-one has mentioned the Ravens tbh. New team in a city with a great football tradition.

Good young QB, have been in the playoffs the last few years, good coach and seem to be going places also,

Seems to me everyone is just recommending their own team.

The packers are a good team also. especially as it gives the OP something to shout about over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

adrian522 wrote: »
    surprised no-one has mentioned the Ravens tbh. New team in a city with a great football tradition.

Good young QB, have been in the playoffs the last few years, good coach and seem to be going places also,

The packers are a good team also. especially as it gives the OP something to shout about over the next few weeks.
    Well I didn't recommend my own team.

The Packers are one of the most successful teams in the NFL and one of the most popular too.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    surprised no-one has mentioned the Ravens tbh.

I support the Ravens but didn't recommend them for the OP

Advertisement