Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants Dublin 15

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone have recommendations for a nice place to eat around Blanchardstown / Castleknock.

Nothing to fancy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Hole in the Wall on Blackhorse Avenue has some of the nicest non-ethnic food in the area. They have a restaurant and do food in the bar til 9 and it's fab. Great early bird 5-7 and all day Sunday. You can also buy your wine in the wine shop (provided it's €10 or more) and drink it in the bar!

After 7 years I still haven't found a Chinese Restaurant in the area that I would go back to. We go to Lucan or Celbridge for Chinese.

Thai Garden in Blanchardstown beside the Church do great Thai if a little pricey. Again they do a good early bird.

The Indian beside Brady's on the old Navan Road can be good, but it changes hands a fair bit so it's not reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Browns in Blanch village do a steak on a stone with sides for 15 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Second the Thai Garden in Blanch Village, really really good thai food and I've always found it reasonable.

Ravellos and Shimla in Clonsilla, an Italian and Indian respectively - both excellent in my opinion, delicious food and very good price wise. Both are doing great early bird offers at the moment. They are our favs and the ones that we frequent the most :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

oblivious wrote: »
    Browns in Blanch village do a steak on a stone with sides for 15 euro

Whats it like in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Whats it like in general?

Very nice really enjoyed the steak but the 10z fillet was 25 euro with no sides, which I thought was pricey. But it was lovely steak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Xmorpheus

I'm very attached to Brasserie 15 - we try to get there once a month if we can. They do early bird specials that are quite good value for money as well.

On the al la carte side, depending on what you order (and your drinks bill) you can expect to pay around 50-60 per head for 3 courses with a standard price bottle of wine.

The menu is not as extensive as it used to be, but their steak and fish dishes are always very reliable and they do specials and theme nights as well. They also do Steak on the stone (and prawns and tuna IIRC) but then the same chain owns Browns so I suspect the menus will be quite similar.

I very much enjoy the food - and the atmosphere on a Saturday night is usually good craic as well! However, I have to be honest, the service has gone downhill a bit in the last year. Possibly we were spoiled because it was so good before so it's noticable. I'm really hoping that it will be sorted out though as otherwise, it's a great place for a night out.

There's a nice little bar in there and they have an small but impressive cocktail menu which I'm doggedly determined to work my way through to the end...not all in one night though!

For the smoker, they have an excellent covered smoking area with patio heaters, a TV and on occasion, a bar outside as well.

If you're looking for something a bit more casual, Captain Americas in the Shopping Centre is pretty good. It's standard deep fried American fare, but it's not outrageously expensive and the food they do is good. You might have to wait a while for a table as you can't book ahead unless you have a party of 6 or more - but if you phone them about 30 mins before you want to eat, unless they have a massive queue, they'll normally put your name on the list by phone - although if you're not there when they call your name, then bye bye table! :p

I'm a fan of their steak fajitas and himself is addicted to their New York burgers (fried egg on a burger is an abomination if you ask me! :p )

I don't really recommend the desserts though. I've yet to have a good dessert there (although i'm still working my way through the menu in fairness). It looks like they just get pre-portioned stuff and bung it in the microwave - this is particularly unpleasant with the Dulce con Leche pancakes :(

That's not a major problem though as they have a good range of starters, so I just get a starter instead!

They do beer/cider by the jug, which is quite good value. Wine list is....short is probably the best way to describe it. I don't think Oz Clarke will be beating a path to their door any time soon! Again, if you're a fan, they have an extensive cocktail menu! It's on my "to do" list :)

No smoking facilities - just have to huddle outside the door.

They also have entertainment of some kind every night of the week including Karaoke night on a Wednesday which I completely intend to go to at some point!

Pricewise, again, a lot depends on what you order to drink. Without drinks, for 3 courses (and in all honesty, unless you have a hollow leg, you won't be able to eat 3 courses!) will probably set you back around 25-35 per head.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

athtrasna wrote: »
    After 7 years I still haven't found a Chinese Restaurant in the area that I would go back to. We go to Lucan or Celbridge for Chinese.

Aurora in Tyrrelstown and the Mandarin Castle in Castleknock are two of the best I've had in Dublin, never mind D15.

The Indian beside Brady's on the old Navan Road can be good, but it changes hands a fair bit so it's not reliable.

Nothing can put its hands on Jaipur in Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

The Ming Court is a good chinese (the best I've found and I'm fussy) they are based in Blanch shopping centre and also blanch village.

ThisRegard wrote: »

I found that Jaipur only do "fancy" Indian not traditional. Every dish on the menu has stuff in it that I don't like and it is missing a lot of the dishes we love.

Haven't tried Aurora yet, will bear that in mind next time we fancy Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I found that Jaipur only do "fancy" Indian not traditional. Every dish on the menu has stuff in it that I don't like and it is missing a lot of the dishes we love.

Yeah found the same with Jaipur. Not traditional food more western versions of the food. Nothing wrong with the food in saying that but I prefer something stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Brownes Steakhouse in Blanch village is lovely and the staff are excellent. They do a steak on the stone for €15 too on certain days of the week. I think its the same crowd as Brasserie 15 and Castello Bruno in Castleknock. The 12th Lock is good for food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

RTT wrote: »
    Brownes Steakhouse in Blanch village is lovely and the staff are excellent. They do a steak on the stone for €15 too on certain days of the week. I think its the same crowd as Brasserie 15 and Castello Bruno in Castleknock. The 12th Lock is good for food too.

Brownes are doing the steak on a stone for €15 every day for the month of January. Its also half price on all wines for January as well!

The problem with the steak on the stone is that you stink afterwards as if you've been working in a kitchen all day, and they charge you more to cook your own food than what they do if you get a regular steak. And having to pay extra for any sort of sides to go with it is ridiculous in this day and age. €15 just for a steak is not that cheap when you think about it, never mind the regular price.

I was very disappointed with Castello Brunos when I was there the weekend, bland crab cakes and extremely salty tortellini. It was probably the sauce but it made it very hard to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Aurora in Tyrrelstown and the Mandarin Castle in Castleknock are two of the best I've had in Dublin, never mind D15.

I'd echo this about Aurora, very good Chinese and the best service of any restaurant I've been to in Dublin (bar none).

We used to go to the Thai Garden for Asian food but it's just too busy, squashed and noisy to have a comfortable meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

The Ming Court is a good chinese (the best I've found and I'm fussy) they are based in Blanch shopping centre and also blanch village.

I used to rave about the Ming court and thought the food and service there was brilliant. Recently ive been using their take away option instead and although the food most times is better than your average take away it has been a bit hit and miss the last few times. The service has also taken a knock after the arrival of a few new staff which they really need to sort out or the place will be closed this time next year.

Tried out Aurora tonight following the recommendations on here and we were very impressed. Got the early bird €16 for 3 courses (up to 8.30 Mon-Thurs) and was amazed at the choice. All the food was fab, we'll def be back. Thanks for the tip boardies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was also in the aurora this evening...
    The service was good and the food was excellent.

Hmmm...there were only about 5 tables with customers when I was there...it's a small world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Blured wrote: »
    Brownes are doing the steak on a stone for €15 every day for the month of January. Its also half price on all wines for January as well!
    Went to Brownes tonight and lads i thought it was fab! The staff were so lovely and i literally cleaned my plate. Im livin in blanch 3 yrs and cant believe this was the first time i was there. Will definitely be going again. All wine half price too..brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

Wagamama's great.

Ravello (Italian) ain't bad although not authentic.

The Thai Garden in Blanch beside the church is lovely but pricey.

Delhi Darbar in Clonee is consistenly good.

I am very disappointed by the Bombay Pantry (Ashtown). They started off great 15 years ago (Glenageary), you could not fault them. Now I find their food quite watery, with no effort, a dog's dinner and still quite steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Went to Brasserie 15 in Castleknock Village on Saturday night and I won't be going back. Our table was booked for 9pm for a party of six. The table wasn't ready so the host at the front dest(in a suit and glasses) asked us to go into the bar until our table was ready. Still no sign of our table being ready by 9.30pm so I asked again and said it was unacceptable. He replied "Its not my fault". I happened to meet two work colleagues in the bar who had just left the restaurant. They were told they had to leave their table as it was needed however, it was 40minutes since they finished their main courses and they sat waiting for the dessert menu/bill but no waiter came by.
    When I mentioned this to the host he said. "That's not true, there are two sides to every story".
    It was 9.55pm by the time we actually got seated (9pm booking).
    When we got the bill they included an obligatory service charge as we had 6 or more in our group. Needless to say we did not pay that.
    Rant over!

Popped into La Terrazza yesterday evening, my favourite Italian at the moment, to try out their new tapas menu. They've expanded the place to go back further and the new part is now called Maximillians Tapas and Wine bar.

We tried a large amount from the tapas menu and everything was great, the food was very nice indeed and well worth a try. Nice redecoration too, subtle but good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You need to try out the early bird menu, they do it up till 7pm on sunday, choice of 3 starters, 3 mains, 3 deserts, tea/coffee for €17.95 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

I second that, they do a slow cooked lamb dish (lucknow raan or something) which is delicious, any dish I've had in their has been top notch....hopefully more people will give them a try (maybe trade will increase if the pub opens soon) otherwise we'll lose a jewel of a restaurant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Shimla! Shimla!

Incredible as takeaway!

But not so great as a sit down resto :(

Food the same but no atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

amdublin wrote: »
    Shimla! Shimla!

Incredible as takeaway!

But not so great as a sit down resto :(

Food the same but no atmosphere

terrible service aswell, have sat twice in it, never again..6 of us, waiting for hrs between courses, had to ask everytime to have tables cleared and drinks brought..happened us once, thought it was a one off, went back 6 months later, same guys, same service..

good as a takeaway though

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Wagamama's great.

Ravello (Italian) ain't bad although not authentic.

Delhi Darbar in Clonee is consistenly good.

I am very disappointed by the Bombay Pantry (Ashtown). They started off great 15 years ago (Glenageary), you could not fault them. Now I find their food quite watery, with no effort, a dog's dinner and still quite steep.

Have to say I love Delhi Darbar for both sit down and take away meals. Friendly staff and beautiful dishes.

2 out of 3 visits we get free tasters too (including take out) :D

Would defo recommend for Indian food....(although it is in Clonee Village)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yep Delhi Darbar all the way. They even make dishes not on their menu if you ask nicely !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

My vote also goes for Aurora in Tyrellstown, its a drive away, so we can't have more than one glass of wine but the food is worth it, and fantastic service!
    Flames in Clonee is great for chinese too, particularly for takeaway.

Someone mentioned Hole In The Wall - also very good!

One other one to reccomend though, the golf club part of Castleknock Hotel (in the same entrance but veer to the right) are doing a fabulous four course for two with a bottle of wine for €55 and the choice is fantastic. Lovely room too. I think Wed/Thurs are €45.
    Really very good non-ethnic fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

It's between Thai Garden and Jaipur in Ongar for me.

Has anyone tried the restaurant in the Crowne Plaza in Blanch shopping centre?

Advertisement