Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where you came up with your username title??

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

hi ladies,
    just been looking at some of the user names and sometimes i find myself guessing how the person came up with their name.

would love to know what makes you come up with the name.

my comes from the nickname my family has for me. some of them call me just molly others call me just bird. but sometimes i can be the two names together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

Mine was the result of a lack of real imagination when I was asked for a username. My sisters used to call me Kiwi when I was younger - my real name is Ciara. Couldn't think of a username at the time and thought I could change it at a later date, obviously not :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I was born in Canada. :)

I'm thinking of changing mine tho but I'm drawing a blank on a new username. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Someone addressed me as it not long before I joined Boards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mines a Simpsons reference, cake for whoever knows what it means :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Favourite colour + favourite animal
    picked it when I was trying to set up my first ever email address

Been using it for about 12 years everywhere now, that or bluewolfcub :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I just made mine up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

krudler wrote: »
    Krusty and Bette Midler's horse...

Nom nom cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Made mine up about 11 years ago when i was mental about the following bands:

Korn
    Nirvana
    Metallica

been using it ever since...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Krusty and Bette Midler's horse...

Nom nom cake.

:D

cupcake-recipes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

mine's a rammstein song, because I like rammstein :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Korvanica wrote: »
    Made mine up about 11 years ago when i was mental about the following bands:

Korn
    Nirvana
    Metallica

been using it ever since...
    That's really cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

My toes are really small and stumpy make my feet look like they've been bound and one day my boyfriend called me Chinafoot. I joked that I should change my boards nick to that, he laughed and said I wouldn't really do it, so I did. Simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

We were bored one day in Chemistry and we put chemicals into our names!!!! Lead went into mine, so I became Pembily!!! Nerdiest reason EVER...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Pembily wrote: »
    We were bored one day in Chemistry and we put chemicals into our names!!!! Lead went into mine, so I became Pembily!!! Nerdiest reason EVER...

I love it. I can't believe I never thought of that in chemistry. Would have kept us going for days!

Mine is the name of the previous resident of my apartment in Helsinki. It was on a plaque next to my door for weeks, so people started calling me Malari.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

Mine's not really very creative, my first name is Uisce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

radiohead-hail-to-the-thief-2003-uk-cd-album-5845432-7126696.jpeg

Off topic but when googling for the image above I came across these bad boys. Gotta find me a pair so I can become the ubernerd of boards!

radiohead2.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I like the tales of old Ireland and all the mythical creatures that frequent them. Anyone who knows me well, will notice the similiarities and how/why I relate to the name :D

The Morrigan (also known as the Morrigu) was the shape-shifting Celtic Goddess of War, Fate and Death. She also presided over rivers, lakes and fresh water, in addition to being the patroness of revenge, night, magic, prophecy, priestesses and witches.
    Her name is interpreted in various forms..."Great Queen," "Phantom Queen" or "Queen of Demons." She was said to hover over battlefields in the form of a raven or hooded crow and frequently foretold or influenced the outcome of the fray. The Morrigan was often depicted as a triune goddess whose other aspects were manifested in the Goddess Badb (meaning "Vulture" or "Venomous") and the Goddess Nemain (meaning "Frenzy" or "Fury"). The Morrigan was one of the Tuatha De Danaan ("People of the Goddess Danu") and she aided in the defeat of the Firbolgs at the First Battle of Magh Tuireadh and the Fomorii at the Second Battle of Mag Tured.

The Celts believed that, as they engaged in warfare, the Morrigan flew shrieking overhead in the form of a raven or carrion crow, summoning a host of slain soldiers to a macabre spectral bane. When the battle had ended, the warriors would leave the field until dawn in order that the Morrigan could claim the trophies of heads, euphemistically known as "the Morrigan's acorn crop."

The origins of the Morrigan appear to be directly linked to the megalithic Cult of the Mothers, who usually appeared as triple goddesses. Her role in Celtic legend is similar to that of the Valkyries in Norse folklore in that both used magic to cast fetters on warriors and made the decision regarding who would live and who would die. The Morrigan is also closely associated with horse symbolism and may, on occasion, have been linked with the equine Goddess, Epona.

Another guise of the Morrigan is that of the "Washer at the Ford," who could usually be found washing the clothes of men about to die in battle. In effect, she is thus choosing those whose lives will be lost in the upcoming conflict. An old English poem entitled "Exodus" also refers to ravens (as previously mentioned, one of the Morrigan's other chosen manifestations) as choosers of the slain.

Once Goddess of Strife and Fertility, as well as Battle, modern Pagans view the role of the Morrigan in a somewhat different light from that of the Ancient Celts, but she remains an appropriate deity for strong and independent individuals. Many followers of the Morrigan erect a permanent shrine in her honor, using such items as bowls of brine and blood, the feather of a crow or raven, or even a piece of red cloth to symbolize the Washer at the Ford.

That lovely description is taken from this webpage http://www.novareinna.com/guard/morrigan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I was trying to put in my usual usernames for sites but all of them were taken. I started getting a bit pished off that even after adding numbers I kept seeing "This username has already been taken". Eventually after I put in one I thought long and hard about I put that in, that was also taken. I said "no dice again, feck this" and decided on nodice. Sad really. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I had just moved back from Canada and this was the closest main street to my apartment and I always loved the way it sounded on the streetcar intercom (Spad-eye-na, sounded sing songy) :)

Was missing Canada so it was perfect. You wouldn't believe how many PM's I've gotten saying it reminded them of Toronto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

krudler wrote: »

So is mine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Mine was an attempt at nerdy humour :rolleyes:, that idea fell flat on its face :rolleyes::o I studied science in college (Brain/Nervous system etc) so thought it would be a good name. When I started boards I didn't think i'd be using it so much and getting to know ppl from here in person. At meetups I feel weird saying my user name, in case people think that I think of myself as really brainy because of the name (because I'm not really :o) Have been trying to think up of a better name ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Pembily wrote: »

THE best creation of a name I have ever heard!So jealous I never thought of it! Reminds me of Fe Male meaning Iron Man:):D
    Mine was chosen beacuse it was the closest I would get to being a moderator:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

Roisin Dubh was taken, and doves are my favourite birds so I thought, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love Nintendo and I love Super Mario and I have blonde hair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Contessa - Female equivalent of Count

Raven - I have black hair

I've always wanted a title and I'm really into Vampires so Contessa Raven was the result! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I was at the doctors surgery with a friend of mine one day - her doctor, I had never met the man in my life.

He just turned around to me and said "And how are you, peanut-head?"

I was like, wtf at the time, but it was only years later that I realised my head does dip slightly in the middle (I dunno, maybe everyone's does too) - kind of like a peanut that has been split in two.

But I haven't got a deformed head or anything, it's the kind of thing you don't notice unless you're massaging my head, so how the doc spotted it I don't know, or else just a massive coincidence.

Anyway, when I told my boyfriend the story it got adopted as one of my many nicknames, and I suppose it was the one most in my head when I set up my account.

Lol, what a long winded explanation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

peanuthead wrote: »
    I was at the doctors surgery with a friend of mine one day - her doctor, I had never met the man in my life.

He just turned around to me and said "And how are you, peanut-head?"

I was like, wtf at the time, but it was only years later that I realised my head does dip slightly in the middle (I dunno, maybe everyone's does too) - kind of like a peanut that has been split in two.

But I haven't got a deformed head or anything, it's the kind of thing you don't notice unless you're massaging my head, so how the doc spotted it I don't know, or else just a massive coincidence.

Anyway, when I told my boyfriend the story it got adopted as one of my many nicknames, and I suppose it was the one most in my head when I set up my account.

Lol, what a long winded explanation!

Haha, that is classic. I can't believe a Doctor actually said that to you,how rude!

Mine is fairly stupid. I was watching an episode of Heartbeat before I signed up to Boards and they were using the codename 'panda100' in that episode. I was planning to change it to 'Theotherboelyngirl' but then I just couldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I couldn't think of a name to use, so I put my i-tunes on shuffle and decided to call by myself by the name of the first song that came on. It was Novella by Funeral for a Friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I love your username, Novella :)

Mine is a Smashing Pumpkins song. I'm mostly posting in Rock & metal forum. I liked Ava Adore but it was taken, Tristessa was too girlie... so Cherub Rock it is! \m/

Pembily, I would never have guessed that origin! Great nickname :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am not sure. My name isn't Lia. Or Lialia. Or anything to do with Lia! I think when I made this profile back in the day I wanted to make myself anonymous online so just chose whatever first popped in my head :/

Advertisement